UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default How do I raise a character's voice volume?

I got this Gravity Falls Rumble McSkirmish http://mugenarchive.com/forums/downl...=file&id=16059 because my daughter loves that show, but we can barely hear a thing he says. This is one of those characters where his funny phrases are a big part of the fun, so I have tried to figure out how to raise the volume of his voice lines with no luck.
    All of my other MUGEN characters sound fine BTW (out of over 600)

Raising the volume number in his CNS file did nothing. I also tried a program called Audacity to raise the volume of the AU sound format file but it had no option to save it as that same file type. I saved it as a WAV and it crashed my game when selecting Rumble. Tried converting that WAV to an AU file with another program but that crashed the game too. Seems I'm stuck with a Rumble that we can barely hear at all.

Anyone know how to raise the volume on his voice lines?
    Any help would sure be appreciated.

Default Re: How do I raise a character's voice volume?

You need to extract the individual wav files using fighter factory, then use audacity again, and replace the files in fighter factory under the character's sounds. You can't use another program to make AU files for a character, you have to use fighter factory.

Uploads
    Comments

Thanks for the reply.
    Sounds complicated and I don't have Fighter factory, but I'll get it and try if there is a tutorial for doing that someone can link me to. Or if it isn't hard for someone that knows how to do it, maybe they could just do that and upload a fixed sound version of the character, or send me the louder AU file?

Uploads
    Comments

What the heck is an "AU" file? Like every MUGEN character, Rumble uses a .SND file, which there is a utility for extracting that comes with MUGEN, but it's a 16-bit executable and won't work on 64-bit operating systems (which, if you're not running a 64-bit operating system... well, you have a whole lot of problems, but an inability to extract .SND files isn't one of them; it's called "snd2wav.exe" and it should be in your \mugen\old_tools\ folder).

Fortunately, using Fighter Factory to do it is fairly straightforward. Just open Fighter Factory, click "Sounds", and then select "Open". It'll ask you for the location of a .SND file; select Rumble's kfm.snd file, and it should switch to the Sounds editor, showing 18 sounds. You can either export the whole set (either hit Ctrl+E, or click the "Sounds" menu again and select "Export..." near the bottom, then make sure "All" is selected and click "OK"), make your modifications, tell Fighter Factory you want a new set of sounds (either "Sounds -> New" or click the "New sounds" button on the top left), then reimport the .ffe file you created during the export process... or, given that there are only a couple dialogue sounds, export those in particular (choose to save the sound as a WAV, make sure "Current" is selected, and choose where to save it), modify, and then load the modified WAVs into the same slots (despite Fighter Factory claiming Ctrl+Shift+C is a shortcut for this function, that does nothing when I try it). Once you have your fixed sounds loaded into Fighter Factory, through either method, you just need to choose to save (you can either save in place and overwrite the same .SND file you loaded, or "Save as..."/"Save sounds as a new file" and make a new .SND file, just in case).

Uploads
    Comments

Thank you for explaining how I can fix the sound! I do run a 64-bit system but I'll get fighter factory and try to do it how you said.

Attached a pic to show where it says AU format file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AU.jpg  

Uploads
    Comments

That's just the description your copy of Windows has apparently associated with .SND files; turn off "Hide extensions for known file types" under Folder Options and you'll see that the actual extension is .SND.

Uploads
    Comments

Hate to sound like an idiot, but I don't see that option anywhere. I tried the "more options" tab up top on the folder and went through the folder properties but even under all tabs and advanced settings I don't see that.
    Guess it doesn't matter though as long as it opens in FF.

Uploads
    Comments

1. launch fighter factory 3
    2. ctr+O ... pick your character .def file
    3. click sounds icon on the top icon menu
    4. find the sound you want to amplify, click "save the sound as WAV" (left icon menu), current
    5. load that wav in Audacity and amp it (find a guide on google)
    6. back to fighter factory, click "load a new wav for the sound from a file", pick your amp'd wav
    7. click save sounds

And that's it.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Unicron9 View Post
    Hate to sound like an idiot, but I don't see that option anywhere. I tried the "more options" tab up top on the folder and went through the folder properties but even under all tabs and advanced settings I don't see that.
    Guess it doesn't matter though as long as it opens in FF.
    Well, I took a screenshot to show where it is, but I can't post images without a post count of 10 or more, so I'll just note that you're right that it doesn't matter all that much as long as you can get it open in Fighter Factory.

Uploads
    Comments

Thanks for the super easy to follow instructions! Got it fixed, and now I know something else useful for MUGEN!

Uploads
    Comments

Hey, glad you got it figured out.