UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Would you ever want to be popular? Why or why not?

I apologize for making a controversial thread.

Would you ever want to be popular? Why or why not?

I don't want to be popular, i am already happy with myself. I don't want to have thousand fans, never. I am already happy with who i am and i don't want to be popular. I don't need popularity to be happy.

"Why?"

I may not be looking at the bright side, but i would hate to be popular. Once you're popular, people will care about everything you do. What do you eat, what do you like to do in your free time, etc. Popularity can sometimes lead to someone k---ing themselves, d**g abuse and other bad things. But SOMETIMES, not always.

Though some popular people are thankfully perfectly healthy and alive.

What about you? What are the reasons you want or don't want to be popular?
    "Marching Fishes!"

Gomamon the Sea Animal Digimon

(Gomamon is a character from Digimon series. My username is obviously based on him.)

(Note: I accept friend requests if you ever want to be friends with me. If no, that's okay, i can't be friends with everyone.)

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Would you ever want to be popular? Why or why not?

I just want enough money to live the rest of my life without worry. So it's a mix of no and yes.

Uploads
    Comments

Not really. But for one day, I might.

Uploads
    Comments

Not really, sure sounds great but I'm not a fan of everyone being able to recognize me everywhere I go.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Nope for me.

Prefer quiet and peaceful life with my family.

Uploads
    Comments

No way, the closest I ever was at being popular was horrible.
    Who can stand that elevated to the infinite?

Uploads
    Comments

I wanted to in my school times but it never worked since i all ways used to be very shy

Uploads
    Comments

nope, but the career that I wanted to pursue might require me to become popular

Uploads
    Comments

Not really. Being too known may attract the wrong people into your life, plus being sorrounded by others doesn't mean you have company, you can feel lonely. I'd rather stay with the ones i like and let things naturally happen.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Not really. Being too known may attract the wrong people into your life, plus being sorrounded by others doesn't mean you have company, you can feel lonely. I'd rather stay with the ones i like and let things naturally happen.
    Perfect, i feel the same.

I myself am a person who mostly loves spending their time being alone because i'm less bothered when i'm alone so, if i ever got popular, i would probably be annoyed every day and night.

And also, your post reminded me of some people who were destroyed by popularity:

Macaulay Culkin was a kid with parents who could afford anything he wanted and now, when he grew up and got older, i think he got addicted to d**gs or something. I have no idea if he's still addicted or if he's healthy today. (i think i remember someone saying a rumor he died but he's still alive thankfully)
    And plus Michael Jackson's life was terrible too, his father used to beat him and he got insulted and hated by a lot of people (not to forget some people called him a p*dophile and some called him Wacko Jacko and those words hurt him), and in the end, he died and a lot of people felt sad about his death.
    I am sorry if someone doesn't like Michael, but i felt sorry for this guy, even if i didn't know him perfectly. I like his music and songs though.

Sorry for a long post and if something i said doesn't make sense or isn't true.
    "Marching Fishes!"

(Gomamon is a character from Digimon series. My username is obviously based on him.)

(Note: I accept friend requests if you ever want to be friends with me. If no, that's okay, i can't be friends with everyone.)

Uploads
    Comments

I was never popular so i dont know how it is, i think it could be kinda cool having lots of friends and people wanting to talk to you, but never is too late right? maybe one day.
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic18125_1.gif
    {Signature by Kater15}

Uploads
    Comments

If i were to be popular I would like it to be for something worthwhile not a meme or a one off thing.

Uploads
    Comments

It depends. I wouldn't want to be mainstream popular, because I like my privacy. I don't want people to nitpick at everything I do, I already find it tiring to deal with people in my everyday life. The horror stories I've heard also helped influence by perspective on the matter, even though I know that many others have found that being popular works for them. Personally, I don't think it's for me and I'd rather not risk it if given the opportunity. That being said, I wouldn't mind being renowned in scientific or literary circles, or something else of a similar level. It'd be nice to be remembered for advancing humanity in some way.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gomamon Nanaya View Post
    Perfect, i feel the same.

I myself am a person who mostly loves spending their time being alone because i'm less bothered when i'm alone so, if i ever got popular, i would probably be annoyed every day and night.

And also, your post reminded me of some people who were destroyed by popularity:

Macaulay Culkin was a kid with parents who could afford anything he wanted and now, when he grew up and got older, i think he got addicted to d**gs or something. I have no idea if he's still addicted or if he's healthy today. (i think i remember someone saying a rumor he died but he's still alive thankfully)
    And plus Michael Jackson's life was terrible too, his father used to beat him and he got insulted and hated by a lot of people (not to forget some people called him a p*dophile and some called him Wacko Jacko and those words hurt him), and in the end, he died and a lot of people felt sad about his death.
    I am sorry if someone doesn't like Michael, but i felt sorry for this guy, even if i didn't know him perfectly. I like his music and songs though.

Sorry for a long post and if something i said doesn't make sense or isn't true.
    I agree man, these things are common among celebrities. Most people follow group tendencies. When you have your own taste and thoughts you are more likely to be alone and tbh that's not bad, you are just being yourself. When you are popular people are attracted to you because of your status and not who you are. I remember a video of Cristiano Ronaldo going to a cafe with a hidden camera. While he was waiting dozens of people came to him asking for a picture but none asked how he was or said they are fans. They probably don't even care about football, just wanted to get some likes and highlight in their social media.

Uploads
    Comments

I agree man, these things are common among celebrities. Most people follow group tendencies. When you have your own taste and thoughts you are more likely to be alone and tbh that's not bad, you are just being yourself. When you are popular people are attracted to you because of your status and not who you are. I remember a video of Cristiano Ronaldo going to a cafe with a hidden camera. While he was waiting dozens of people came to him asking for a picture but none asked how he was or said they are fans. They probably don't even care about football, just wanted to get some likes and highlight in their social media.
    That's true, don't also forget that people would be making fake videos of calling you or calling some dead celebrity.

Yeah, these "OMG, I CALLED (insert celebrity name) AND THEY ANSWERED" videos. They seem clickbait and annoying and a bit offensive if it's a dead celebrity.

And also, some people even use dead people just to get likes on Youtube videos, for example, on a Queen or Michael Jackson song, someone would comment stuff like these:
    "Like if you wish Freddie was alive."
    "This is how many people love Michael."
    "Like for Freddie/any person they like dead or alive, ignore for (some person that the person posting a comment doesn't like)"
    And other annoying stuff. Using famous dead celebrities just because you want likes seems disrespectful to me.

I feel like not being popular is way better than actually being popular, because you have your own privacy, and people actually care about you as a person and not a lot of people will come in your house and bother or annoy you, but when you're popular, cameras are everywhere and people suddenly care about every single thing you did yesterday, multiple years ago and some people don't even like you as a person, they just like you because you are popular or because they want to use you for likes and other stuff.

I mean, yeah, it may be surprising to meet some celebrity in real life, but they're humans too, not some Gods.

Being popular sounds like a nightmare to me.
    "Marching Fishes!"

Uploads
    Comments

That's true, don't also forget that people would be making fake videos of calling you or calling some dead celebrity.

Yeah, these "OMG, I CALLED (insert celebrity name) AND THEY ANSWERED" videos. They seem clickbait and annoying and a bit offensive if it's a dead celebrity.

And also, some people even use dead people just to get likes on Youtube videos, for example, on a Queen or Michael Jackson song, someone would comment stuff like these:
    "Like if you wish Freddie was alive."
    "This is how many people love Michael."
    "Like for Freddie/any person they like dead or alive, ignore for (some person that the person posting a comment doesn't like)"
    And other annoying stuff. Using famous dead celebrities just because you want likes seems disrespectful to me.

I feel like not being popular is way better than actually being popular, because you have your own privacy, and people actually care about you as a person and not a lot of people will come in your house and bother or annoy you, but when you're popular, cameras are everywhere and people suddenly care about every single thing you did yesterday, multiple years ago and some people don't even like you as a person, they just like you because you are popular or because they want to use you for likes and other stuff.

I mean, yeah, it may be surprising to meet some celebrity in real life, but they're humans too, not some Gods.

Being popular sounds like a nightmare to me.
    Not to mention that nowadays if you are popular, you can’t even publicly express your opinion, no matter how respectful or neutral you are. If you say something people don’t like they will gather in online groups, label you and press companies/sponsors to boycott you. It seems that the dreams’ life we used to see in Hollywood’s films is quite different from the screens.

Uploads
    Comments

Not to mention that nowadays if you are popular, you can’t even publicly express your opinion, no matter how respectful or neutral you are. If you say something people don’t like they will gather in online groups, label you and press companies/sponsors to boycott you. It seems that the dreams’ life we used to see in Hollywood’s films is quite different from the screens.
    That too.
    If someone who's not popular says some opinion that a lot of people disagree with (aka unpopular opinion if you will), they might find someone who actually agrees with them and won't get hated by everybody.
    If someone who is popular says some opinion, it will show on the news and it may also cause a drama or a lot of hate from people. I feel like popular people can't do anything without it showing on the news and a lot of people hearing about it, pretty much everyone is extremely curious for some reason and just wants to know everything about the said popular person, embarrassing and not embarrassing.
    "Marching Fishes!"

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

most of my friends are popular ish and have a lot of followers on twitter, their ocs get drawn constantly, have large discord servers, and or have a shitton of friends. i wish i ad that kind of popularity.

Uploads
    Comments

That too.
    If someone who's not popular says some opinion that a lot of people disagree with (aka unpopular opinion if you will), they might find someone who actually agrees with them and won't get hated by everybody.
    If someone who is popular says some opinion, it will show on the news and it may also cause a drama or a lot of hate from people. I feel like popular people can't do anything without it showing on the news and a lot of people hearing about it, pretty much everyone is extremely curious for some reason and just wants to know everything about the said popular person, embarrassing and not embarrassing.
    And the media loves to spread news about stars, it always gets a lot of views. Being famous demands a strong emotional control. It’s so stressful that many people end up ruining their own lives, as we talked previously. Sometimes others can’t harm you directly but they can trigger emotions (intentionally or not) that change the course of your well-being. I know some big youtubers who were poor and happy and now are rich, known by millions but dead inside. That is a good sign that money doesn’t buy happiness. (At least for a big part of people)

Uploads
    Comments

And the media loves to spread news about stars, it always gets a lot of views. Being famous demands a strong emotional control. It’s so stressful that many people end up ruining their own lives, as we talked previously. Sometimes others can’t harm you directly but they can trigger emotions (intentionally or not) that change the course of your well-being. I know some big youtubers who were poor and happy and now are rich, known by millions but dead inside. That is a good sign that money doesn’t buy happiness. (At least for a big part of people)
    Definitely.

Sometimes, someone can have 100 fans or a lot of money, but they will still be sad or unhappy despite that. I myself don't want to be popular or rich, i am already happy with myself like i said in the first post. That also reminds me of a quote:

"Happiness is not what having what you want, it's appreciating what you have."

Everything you said is completely true.
    "Marching Fishes!"