UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Default Certain Characters not working in Mugen 1.0

Being the kaiju fan I am I dl'd Gander, Red King and Jamyra from this site. They were all made by UMA under the Characters section. They will not load, something about a parsing error, and being made for an older version of mugen then my Mugen Crashes.

Any idea How I can fix these Characters? Here is the error message it gives me:

Error message: Invalid format specifier in "p2bodydist X:%lf,p2bodydist Y:%lf,AI:%d,Var:%d"
    Error parsing [state -3]
    Error in [Statedef -3]
    Error in redking.cns
    Error loading chars/redking/redking.def
    Error loading p2

Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by Mothra67; 30th November 2014 at 19:25.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Certain Characters not working in Mugen 1.0

There are known compatibility issues between winmugen (older) and mugen 1.0 (newer), and there's unfortunately no easy way around it. Chars created for winmugen may not work on 1.0 and vice-versa. In that case, either use these chars on winmugen or patch them to make them work on 1.0 (which can be difficult).

any guides on how to make a patch?

Uploads
    Comments

There's this one by my friend Red but I can not guarantee it covers every case.

This is a guide to convert a character from Winmugen to MUGEN 1.0 (Doh'!). All the steps required in order to fully adapt any character are here (I GUESS!) so... whatever. If I forgot any needed point please post a line here because I'm writing this while drinking Coke so I can't guarantee 100% success :) .

-------------------------
    -- STEP 1: The .DEF file.

- Set the version to 1.0. Example: "mugenversion = 1.0"

- Add new localcoord parameter (This goes inside the [info] section) which determinates the character's real size (320x240 for low res chars, 640x480 for high resolution, etc.). This parameter will scale your whole character to 0.5 in both X and Y scale (INCLUDING the portrait used for the character select screen) if set to 640x480. Any other value, well... it's just simple maths (1280x960 would be FULL HD which would mean 0.25 in scaling). Example: "localcoord = 320,240" for a low resolution character.

- Add the palette keymap section. This determinates which button corresponds to which palette (The palette order parameter IS still used so don't worry). The basic text to paste is:

Code:
        [Palette Keymap]
        a = 1
        b = 2
        c = 3
        x = 4
        y = 5
        z = 6
        a2 = 7
        b2 = 8
        c2 = 9
        x2 = 10
        y2 = 11
        z2 = 12

-- STEP 2: The .CNS file.

- The [movement] section has new parameters to be added. You don't really need to USE there parameters, just put them in that section. The common1.cns in the default character Kung Fu Man uses these parameters in the common states but you don't need to re-check and compare every state in the common1.cns because your states most likely have it's own velocity values already set. Of course you can update your character accordingly to use the several "const" triggers with these new parameters but it's quite a waste of time if you ask me when it comes to a character already coded before.

Code:
        air.gethit.groundrecover = -.15,-3.5  ;Velocity for ground recovery state (x, y) **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.mul = .5,.2     ;Multiplier for air recovery velocity (x, y) **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.add = 0,-4.5    ;Velocity offset for air recovery (x, y) **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.back = -1       ;Extra x-velocity for holding back during air recovery **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.fwd = 0         ;Extra x-velocity for holding forward during air recovery **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.up = -2         ;Extra y-velocity for holding up during air recovery **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.down = 1.5      ;Extra y-velocity for holding down during air recovery **MUGEN 1.0**

stand.friction.threshold = 2          ;If player's speed drops below this threshold while standing, stop his movement **MUGEN 1.0**
        crouch.friction.threshold = .05       ;If player's speed drops below this threshold while crouching, stop his movement **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.groundlevel = 25           ;Y-position at which a falling player is considered to hit the ground **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.groundrecover.ground.threshold = -20 ;Y-position below which falling player can use the recovery command **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.groundrecover.groundlevel = 10   ;Y-position at which player in the ground recovery state touches the ground **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.threshold = -1  ;Y-velocity above which player may use the air recovery command **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.airrecover.yaccel = .35    ;Vertical acceleration for player in the air recovery state **MUGEN 1.0**
        air.gethit.trip.groundlevel = 15      ;Y-position at which player in the tripped state touches the ground **MUGEN 1.0**
        down.bounce.offset = 0,0            ;Offset for player bouncing off the ground (x, y) **MUGEN 1.0**
        down.bounce.yaccel = .4               ;Vertical acceleration for player bouncing off the ground **MUGEN 1.0**
        down.bounce.groundlevel = 12          ;Y-position at which player bouncing off the ground touches the ground again **MUGEN 1.0**
        down.friction.threshold = .05         ;If the player's speed drops below this threshold while lying down, stop his movement **MUGEN 1.0**

-----------------------------------
    -- STEP 3: The Hitdef fixing quest.
    -----------------------------------

- Despite this being mentioned in the bugfix section of the mugen docs since RC1, this is probably the most overlooked step in any Winmugen to MUGEN 1.0 adaptation. It's quite a long step depending of how many hitdefs a character has but it's also quite a simple fix to do. This is the fixed bug description in the docs:

CNS: Fixed: HitDef P1 pausetimes expired 1 tick sooner than specified. When loading 2002.04.14 and older characters, this fix will be compensated for by subtracting 1 from the P1 pausetime after expression evaluation.

Basically this bug is usually "fixed" on any character that's not version 1.0 but since you're trying to adapt a character TO MUGEN 1.0 then that means you WILL HAVE to manually fix EVERY SINGLE PAUSETIME parameter in EVERY HITDEF. Example: if Winmugen version has "pausetime = 9,10" then MUGEN 1.0 version must have "pausetime = 8,10".

-----------------------------------------
    -- OPTIONAL STEP: Extra character coding.
    -----------------------------------------

- A new SCTRL can be added in order to set the character's palette. This SCTRL is usually pasted in statedef 5900 and is actually used to set a desired palette but the next coding is the usual piece of coding you will use to just set the palette you chose on the character select screen. I'm mentioning this because most of the people who adapts a character to MUGEN 1.0 usually add this piece of coding.

Code:
        [State 5900, Palette]
        type = remappal
        trigger1 = 1
        source = 1, 1
        dest = 1, palno

- An OPTIONAL new [Quotes] section can be added to add winquotes to the character. Paste it below [movement] if you wish to use this but it's not required. Read the docs to add alternative languages if you want. This is the list of quotes KFM has in his .CNS file.

Code:
        ;Default language victory quotes (optional).  **MUGEN 1.0**
        ;If this section is included, the default language victory quotes must be in English.
        [Quotes]
        ; Up to 100 victory quotes can be specified per language (victory0 - victory99)
        victory1 = "You must defeat Tu Shou to stand a chance."
        victory2 = "You need a lot of training. Come back in ten years."
        victory3 = "You look familiar. Did I see you on TV?"
        victory4 = "Your moves are too predictable. You want to learn Kung Fu Palm? It's not for novices."
        victory5 = "That was a good workout."
        victory6 = "I want to challenge more skilled fighters."
        victory7 = "What do you mean my girlfriend is in another temple?"
    I THINK that's all. Anything else post about it but don't post about MUGEN 1.0 bugs because that's not related to this.

Uploads
    Comments

what if the char works but in the match they dont walk but can do all other animations? one i downloaded is ryuuken, and he will jump, dash, crouch, but wont just walk... i tried to see if i could change that... this is what i found

;---------------------------
    ; Walk
    [Statedef 20]
    type = S
    physics = S
    sprpriority = 0

[State 20, 1]
    type = VelSet
    triggerall = stateno = 0 && var(30) = 1
    trigger1 = command = "holdfwd" && var(30) = 1
    x = const(velocity.walk.fwd.x)

[State 20, 2]
    type = VelSet
    triggerall = stateno = 0 && var(30) = 1
    trigger1 = command = "holdback" && var(30) = 1
    x = const(velocity.walk.back.x)

I changed that^ to this.....

[State 20, 1]
    type = VelSet
    trigger1 = command = "holdfwd"
    x = const(velocity.walk.fwd.x)

[State 20, 2]
    type = VelSet
    trigger1 = command = "holdback"
    x = const(velocity.walk.back.x)
    ===================================

Now we moves left and right but his legs dont move.... im new to the forum so im not allowed to post a new topic yet... any direction would be appreciated