UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: is mugen dying?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: is mugen dying?

As long as people are making and sharing addons for MUGEN, it's never going to die. I love the game because it's so customizable. That alone is universally appealing to people.

Uploads
    Comments

mugen will live in till the sun blows up

Uploads
    Comments

If you think about it all games are dying.

Uploads
    Comments

true dat. Only at different rates.
    I like to play videosgames and explode them after. What did you except from a creeper ?

Reviving an post be like: https://youtu.be/hihEhsdwiIk

Uploads
    Comments

Never

Uploads
    Comments

Well, I literally just joined these forums today, so I would say no.

It's kinda like Melee. We keep it alive with the content that is produced.

Uploads
    Comments

call an ambulance

Uploads
    Comments

I doubt it as long as there's content creators out there that's still churning out characters like this site. Though, compared to a decade ago, things have slowed down on other sites. I think this site is one of the more active ones that's like Mugen-infantry back then before it died out.

Uploads
    Comments

You can't kill code. It's out there forever and hey in 200 years there could be a popular resurgence.

Uploads
    Comments

I hope not, MUGEN is fun, it's one of those things I love to do to pass time. I have had concerns about it though, I do notice less and less people posting about it or sharing files.

- - - Updated - - -

I still worry about it though. it does seem more people are loosing interest everyday. and 1.1 is still kind of bad

Quote Originally Posted by wat332 View Post
    I doubt it as long as there's content creators out there that's still churning out characters like this site. Though, compared to a decade ago, things have slowed down on other sites. I think this site is one of the more active ones that's like Mugen-infantry back then before it died out.
    I like to note that even if creators are no longer creating mugen would be okay at this point, there is a surplus of content all ready for the engine from this site alone. Even if nothing new ever came out you basically have almost everything you could ever want all ready out here. Mugen has just about every franchise imaginable in various qualities, genres, styles, etc.

The only thing to worry about now is some kind of international legislation that cracks down on piracy/copyright protected content that would eliminate fair use fan art like mugen since the law would have to get involved to assure the removal of this hobby.

As ridiculous as this sounds our fate is in the hands of politicians :P That and server costs across the internet that host downloads.

Uploads
    Comments

Mugen will never die! Electbyte will come back from the dead, and give us what we want! We already have a great system that may be used to create games some day! Just needs some spreading around, is all.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by raze322 View Post
    Mugen will never die! Elecbyte will come back from the dead, and give us what we want! We already have a great system that may be used to create games some day! Just needs some spreading around, is all.
    Even if they flop and disappear we can always hope some kind soul releases the source code and it becomes an open source project.

Uploads
    Comments

I feel mugen will always have a niche community, there is simply no other similar alternative

Quote Originally Posted by okayyougotme View Post
    Even if they flop and disappear we can always hope some kind soul releases the source code and it becomes an open source project.

I like to note that on another forum on the same subject someone made a point that even if the source code was released it wouldn't necessarily benefit the engine because apparently even with the source code, how many people out there are actually gonna code the engine to do new things? Also if there is someone taking it further well that would leave new possible problems such as multiple engines perhaps creating incompatibilities, especially if you have more than 1 group modifying the engine. The incompatibilities are all ready an issue between winmugen, 1.0, and 1.1.

I also recall that there are all ready mugen clones out there that are open source code but development always seems to faint away and even then no one really cares about them unless they are officially mugen for some reason? There are several out there but hardly anybody cares. That stuff also pretty much does the same thing mugen does and I think some of them are mugen characters compatible to if I remember correctly?

So yeah not necessarily beneficial to have the source code. It might work in the right hands and if they really do something great with it and only and if they see it all the way through till the end.

In my opinion the Elecbyte group should leave the project (if they lost interest in it) to another group they know and trust to complete the engine, maybe even hiring paid professionals and having some kind of crowd funding with the original project leader at least overseeing and making director choices to ensure it's getting to where it should go.

Though everyone should keep in mind also that they disappeared after the 1.1 engine was leaked but before they went offline they released their 1.1 engine. So who knows what this could have mean't? Maybe they decided to quit right there and leave it that way. They might not come back at all anymore, no one can be sure. Though mugen didn't die when they left the first time and I doubt it will die now and with this new engine 1.1, I don't see any reason to panic. This new engine should be enough for the next 10 years and who knows there might be a hack version coming next just like winmugen.

So in my opinion mugen will be okay.

Uploads
    Comments

we need something that could give it a boost. maybe a console port

mulambo is offline user banned for repeated defamation, spreading plain lies with clear intent to damage people's reputation and/or ruin people's motivation Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

something that could give it a boost.
    a 3d engine! o_o *futuristic music playing*

Uploads
    Comments

Mugen will never die so long as I keep my personal copy of Mugen on my flash drive. So long as Windows 10 lasts, my Mugen copy will too.

Uploads
    Comments

It's sad to see a great game engine lose its supporters since 2D games are old story...

Uploads
    Comments

well it hasn't really lost support since characters are being made daily and judging from what i have seen, the quality of characters today are way better than what they were back in 2007 for example.