UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default MugenArchive is really something!! What a great community! Here is some history...

Been so much time since i toke my last peak at the mugen world,
    today i felt really nostalgic and decided to take a look at things, maybe find something still standing..
    and yes... Mugen Archive was still here, thats just amazing.

coudnt believe my chars were out there either.. although i saw some pretty weird stuff like some chars being credited to me like radamanthys or jabu.

i remember my first encounter with mugen... it was really something... cant remember the exact year but im pretty sure it was something around year 2000,
    so.. 20 years already... i was looking for a saint seiya game, because there were almost none at the time... and then i found microcosmo team, with their
    seiya and shiryu fully playable chars. the great man behind? that italian guy: MIM, although i remember some work done by this other guy, Cheetah.
    well, i could not believe i was seing something that good.. and i was even more surprised when i understood the engine and what it allowed people to do.

it was revolutionary,

so i couldnt wait for them to finish all the chars i wanted to play.. and that was the reason i spent lots of days working in chars

There are some chars credited to me as i saw in my research today, but there are only 3 really, phoenix ikki, cygnus hyoga (not the noir version), and lion aiolia.

Soon, some creators started to mod them, some got better, some got worse.. the thing is that in those days, there was so few saint seiya char creators, that
    chars toke forever to be decently upgraded or redone.

My goal at the time was only to make more characters available , not really paying too much attention on the details.. ikki and aiolia where based on seiya, and hyoga on shiryu.
    at the time received a lot of criticism as a lot of the work was in fact from microcosmo, and it really was.. i think the "mod" concept wasnt around.
    the idea was basically.. well.. you are a saint seiya fan..?? cant find a game to play?? so you found mugen with seiya and shiryu? you dont have to play with those two alone.. here you go, 3 more to enjoy.
    they were obviously really ugly compared to the originals.. but who cares.. i was able to put them on a fight and i was happy with it.

---------------------------------
    sorry, as i finished writting, i noticed i couldnt post, because my text had 2000 characters over the limit... .. i believe that limit will reset after someone post something.... i guess i will try to put the rest of the text as soon as its possible.
    Last edited by FlavioFagoti; 21st April 2020 at 07:20.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: MugenArchive is really something!! What a great community! Here is some history..

Quote Originally Posted by FlavioFagoti View Post
    sorry, as i finished writting, i noticed i couldnt post, because my text had 2000 characters over the limit... .. i believe that limit will reset after someone post something.... i guess i will try to put the rest of the text as soon as its possible.
    Sorry about that, I'm going to increase the limit a little bit.

I'm looking forward to hear the whole story.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: MugenArchive is really something!! What a great community! Here is some history..

This is going to be interesting to read.

Uploads
    Comments

Thanks Dizzy!! That was really sweet!

i will just continue down here then

...its funny, im from brazil, and i remember this other brazilian guy around the same period, who goes by the nick "aqualudo", and he did another hyoga, and you have to understand that brazilian people may be warm and stuff but we are a pain in the *** too lol.
    i dont remember if based on my version or based on one of the mim's originals, but anyway, so many characters we could make that wasnt there yet, we ended up with two of the same... .. but anyway, we chatted with each other for some days on the early foruns (french one i believe, because there was few or non brazilian ones about that subject at the time),,, i was under the impression at the time that he was not happy with my char.. in fact, its possible he was one of the people who was trying to make chars entirely from scratch, and didnt like the fact that mine were mods. but as i said, i really dont remember, if you are out there aqualudo, my apologies if i dont remember correctly or if we didnt understood each other in the past. He did other stuff too, but if i remember correctly he did the very first aquarius camus. If i didnt do it before aqualudo, i really thank you for contributing to what became a large force of mugen creators that ultimately ended up doing lots of saint seiya chars.

there was this other guy, under the nick of "saga" who asked me to mod ikki, and i was quite happy with his work at the time, specialy the walking animation. there should be lots of sagas out there now lol, but anyway, thanks saga!

at the end, specially comparing with today mugen chars, they were reeeally ugly lol, but did the job, people had a lot of fun with then.

i was just a kid at the time.. i dont know.. 15~16 i think.. and i was really really surprised when i got to the book store downtown, and i saw a magazine about games, with mugen on the cover, and a cd with a really early version of it,
    with a lot of chars, including mine!, i was like... whaaat? it was unreal for me.. and my friends at school lol,

in the end i was really really happy just imagining that people would actually download those chars and have fun with it.

sad i never tried working with something like that again,, life got in the way those days,
    from that time to this date i ended up trying a lot of diferent things such as music authoring,
    recently i started doing action figures as a hobbie as you can check in "canal fagulhas" on youtube (couldnt post a reference link)
    but im afraid they are not that good, just as my old chars lol

but anyway, time has passed.. some years later this french guy, Jérôme, made a video with an intro for the saint seiya hades saga, and got everyone's attention... and that started a process in wich
    saint seiya was again brought to life, with new series, new games, toys, etc... finally!!

and with that, i was really surprised today to see, that not only mugen still lives, but it has a really great community. its amazing, and yet, very well deserved.

well, it was really fun taking time to write this long post, i dont know if anyone would care for reading but i hope people who enjoy mugen and enjoy history can apreciate it.

Sorry for my english,
    See ya!

- - - Updated - - -

just some observations,

french and italian mugen teams were essencial to that process of bringing saint seiya based mugen stuff to life at that time. it was how it began in the first place. saint seiya fans own them a lot. On their behalf, a big thanks!

and with that in mind, there was no google, it might already been there but no one knew it yet.. there were pratically only altavista search engine... yahoo well.. wasnt quite the same thing... and on top of that, documentation
    on char creation, wips and everything related wasnt really everywhere like it is today... and that do counts a lot