UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Question How much effort do you put into character balancing and editing? Some or none?

Honestly I've spent a lot of time going through my characters and editing stats and adding or editing quotes and such. Sometimes it feels rigorous (even though it's not like I've made any characters of my own), but it does make me wonder if anyone else does the same. Do you change any details of characters you download or do you just leave your characters as they are?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: How much effort do you put into character balancing and editing? Some or none?

I spent a good month balancing a mvc game with 200+ characters. Took forever and character strength values were darn hard to find. Characters with helper values are the worst as it's very trial and error. Some characters i jsut couldn't get like i wanted and i had to just replace them with simpler version. Stuff with japanese characters in particular are hard to edit.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: How much effort do you put into character balancing and editing? Some or none?

If I were to be honest I barely ever actually edit characters I add in my roster except for when they literally crash the game
    funny jotar o dolphin

Uploads
    Comments

I convert the ones that dont work on specific versions for me and for the community here on the Archive and fix the ones with broken portraits, i dont fix stats and other minor stuff bcoz it would take forever considering the size of my roster.
    I also create AIs for the ones that are popular or i like the most that have poor AIs like the ones that use the engine to read the commands triggers.
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic18125_1.gif
    {Signature by Kater15}

Uploads
    Comments

Too much.

I change the character's display to their full name so it's easier to find them in my ridiculously large roster.
    I edit the palette keymap so that X is default.
    I fix the button layout if it happens to be something stupid.
    For KOF style, I put body blow on Z and dodge on C. Even if it's not programmed to have single button function, I do it myself.
    For KOFM or POTS style, I change charge to C+Z. (If it has custom combo or max, I move that to B+Y).
    I try to limit characters to 3 power stocks so that they don't clash in simul. That's a real PITA for KOFA characters with charging.

I'm probably missing something. I'll do palette editing on rare occasion. SFF repair if necessary. Minor bug fixing. I've even done some legit bug fixing when I wanted the character enough to make it work better.

Normally I don't edit character bug only pick the author I like

Uploads
    Comments

Rarely even do it, unless it’s necessary. If it needs fixing, it has to be fixed, usually it’s the character author that fixes them. Sounds easy, but it’s not. Editing the AI is a different story. It’s best to keep a copy or keep the zip/Rar/7z file in case you need to revert the character back to its original settings.
    Last edited by Marzavis613; 13th June 2020 at 14:20.

Uploads
    Comments

I tried to create a character once, and it came out horrible, I was ashamed and I deleted it

Uploads
    Comments

Not exactly the answer you want but: Haven't tried making one yet but I imagine it takes some work. I don't know C but I'll try and learn it for this. When I do make my first character, I'll probably spend a very long time on it.

Uploads
    Comments

It depends on the project. I have a character dump where it’s unbalanced and that’s part of the fun. I also have full games where they’re balanced

Uploads
    Comments

I've spent a good amount of time editing characters, but I know nothing about editing AI. I try my best editing health, attack, power, etc. Balanced as all things should be

Uploads
    Comments

i edit my characters when they are wayyy too strong or too big/small i had a kenpachi zaraki that was insanely powerful i had to nerf his damage and health by 90% just for him to be balanced there was also this time when i had a menos grande but it was almost the same size as the characters so i scaled him alot it was pretty fun

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Balancing/Editing characters varies in terms of effort. If the character in question is overpowered on purpose, then you wouldn’t spend too much time balancing it. However, for serious creations, proper balancing takes a while to do. Some times the balancing won’t be required until people who have played the character give feed back. Some times it could be major, like adding/removing moves, drastically changing the damage or resizing hit boxes. Some times it could be very minute, such as modifying the frame data, or changing the animation frame time. In reality, the changes you make are only major if you the creator notice it and change it accordingly. The more minute changes will come from outside feedback. This only comes form personal experience, and the feedback you receive could vary. All in all, it does take effort, but the amount of effort is determined by not only the creator, but the people who download their projects.