UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Default Do you think M.U.G.E.N 1.2 will happen?

I think it's possible. Elecbyte might come back (again.) this decade release the full version of Mugen 1.1 and release Mugen 1.2b.
    But... On the flip side Elecbyte might be perm dead this time around and it will not happen.
    What do you think. Sadly i dont think it wont happen.
    The most feared man in the M.U.G.E.N community is a total horror show...in every way imaginable. You might want to run for your life!

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Do you think M.U.G.E.N 1.2 will happen?

They are officialy dead now since 2013, when the beta release of MUGEN 1.1 just came.

Eien no Yume ~Eternal Dreams~ (MUGEN Blog) (Banner link FREE)

Current W.I.P.S:

V.G. Project (Fullgame):
    A MUGEN Fullgame i'm planning on based on "Variable Geo Custom", coming soon 2020.

Support me on Patreon for MUGEN Works.

Uploads
    Comments

No. Elecbyte is dead and if M.U.G.E.N comes back ever I'll film myself eating dog food.

Uploads
    Comments

What games Elecbyte responsible for? I always believed they made some famous fighting games since you know.. they released that great fighting engine

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by someasome View Post
    What games Elecbyte responsible for? I always believed they made some famous fighting games since you know.. they released that great fighting engine
    They only made M.U.G.E.N (The project started around 1997 or 1998 according to them (i think), it was originally going to be a space shooter game engine but when they noticed that there weren't any good commercial fighting games for the PCs at the time, it turned into a fighting game engine, the inspiration came from SFIBM (Customizable fighting engine for IBM PC's similar to SFXVI for Sharp X68000, both came before MUGEN) ) though.

It used Allegro as a engine base since 1999~2002 (DOS/Linux) when now they use SDL as a recent engine (Since 1.0).

Eien no Yume ~Eternal Dreams~ (MUGEN Blog) (Banner link FREE)

Current W.I.P.S:

V.G. Project (Fullgame):
    A MUGEN Fullgame i'm planning on based on "Variable Geo Custom", coming soon 2020.

Support me on Patreon for MUGEN Works.

Uploads
    Comments

Given how it took 6 years for Elecbyte to release 1.0 after developing the WinMUGEN beta, and how it took 4 years for them to release 1.1 after 1.0 (which adds up to a 5 year gap between versions on average), I'd say there's a good chance of something like 1.2 coming out within the next few years.
    Last edited by hwarf; 3rd January 2020 at 03:50. Reason: specified

Uploads
    Comments

I dunno if that'll be possible since Mugen's always kinda been niche, with a few spikes in activity once a fandom shows up and makes stuff for it.

My MUGEN Website: https://kris-kagura.webs.com/

(Eventual) WIPS:
    none, yet

With the company behind M.UG.E.N dead I doubt it will happen, unless some people online decide to make a 1.2. But with all the modding for it already I think it doesn't need to happen so it probably won't.

Uploads
    Comments

No but at least there's IKEMEN GO/GO Plus (an open source MUGEN clone) though: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Windblade-GR01/ikemen-go

The MUGENite formerly known as StrikeFreedomGirl555

Uploads
    Comments

The problem is not to have a new engine, but the assets that go with it. Not enough HD stages and characters available at the moment in my opinion.

Uploads
    Comments

Unless they give the source code to us, we could get a Mugen 1.2 after their relase of a stable 1.1 or something. By then, they could add in new modes or something that other fighting games have that are difficult for Mugen.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by BlytzDragon View Post
    Unless they give the source code to us, we could get a Mugen 1.2 after their relase of a stable 1.1 or something. By then, they could add in new modes or something that other fighting games have that are difficult for Mugen.
    Agreed. It is evident that they do not intend to commercialize their client considering that they released it for free. Not to mention that even if they were intending to, they would not be able to, because many years have passed, they've missed the gaming developments and therefore the client is outdated. I don't see why not to release the source code in github for example. The community would do more in a month than they were doing in 5 years time. Furthermore, the client would gain popularity; new people would come in and old timers would come back, whilst they would keep their license in view of profiting. Make the community happy, then profit (mentally and materially).