UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Will MUGEN videos be affected by COPPA?

I like making MUGEN videos but I'm afraid of getting a 42k fine so I'm not sure if I should continue. I make AI tournaments and upload the fights on Youtube.
    Last edited by Vulpuz; 9th December 2019 at 21:23.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Will MUGEN videos be affected by COPPA?

I think not. So far, none of my videos posted on YouTube have been affected by COPPA.
    http://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic35401_1.gif

Faça do dia de hoje o melhor dia da sua vida.

Uploads
    Comments

Pretty sure the Mugen content will count too as it has chars that could interest children acording to their own words. AFAIK the law's changes haven't got a big impact yet, but I'll wait to see how things get in january.

For now I would suggest searching for another site to upload videos in case the thing gets ugly in YouTube, just in case.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpuz View Post
    I like making MUGEN videos but I'm afraid of getting a 42k fine so I'm not sure if I should continue. I make AI tournaments and upload the fights on Youtube.
    Please do not spread false information about COPPA/Youtube.
    The only consequence is children under 13 will no longer be able to see content that is not designed for children, which is a very good thing.

All the rumors you hear about the COPPA are made up by angry youtubers who know their views will drop and spread false information to instigate hatred for the COPPA. These youtubers are scumbags who only care about filling their pockets even if children are exposed to inappropriate content.

We had a very similar situation here when false information was posted about our site by the scumbags and criminals from some other sites to damage our reputation and instigate hatred, because we were disturbing their illegal sites and/or business.

Stop believing everything you hear on the internet, people have plenty of motives to lie and they do it often, never believe in bashing campaigns, always try to figure out what are the hidden motives, look for reputable sources and if you don't find any, then it's fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortos View Post
    Pretty sure the Mugen content will count too as it has chars that could interest children acording to their own words. AFAIK the law's changes haven't got a big impact yet, but I'll wait to see how things get in january.

For now I would suggest searching for another site to upload videos in case the thing gets ugly in YouTube, just in case.
    In general, MUGEN videos feature violence, so they're not appropriate content for children.

Uploads
    Comments

oh no just when i was about to show youtube my mugen on game jolt

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gundamsan View Post
    oh no just when i was about to show youtube my mugen on game jolt
    I'm interested

Uploads
    Comments

Or probably you might want to start a Bit Chute account

"Don't mess with the maid."
    The MUGENite formerly known as StrikeFreedomGirl555

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    [...]
    Dizzy, i appreciate your comment, i too feel angered by how easily manipulated people are when it comes to these things.

BUT, i must say that you seem like you're "sided" with YouTube, and that's something i'd not particularly agree with, mostly because you must understand that, like the youtubers, YouTube also has interests and an "agenda" to push, they basically do most of these things to please advertisers, they're not saints, i honestly feel like YouTube is just as bad as the YouTubers, mainly because being part of Google, they do MUCH more money than any YouTuber.
    Last edited by BrendaMarzipan; 16th December 2019 at 19:40.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Will COPPA Be affected by COPPA????

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaMarzipan View Post
    Dizzy, i appreciate your comment, i too feel angered by how easily manipulated people are when it comes to these things.

BUT, i must say that you seem like you're "sided" with YouTube, and that's something i'd not particularly agree with, mostly because you must understand that, like the youtubers, YouTube also has interests and an "agenda" to push, they basically do most of these things to please advertisers, they're not saints, i honestly feel like YouTube is just as bad as the YouTubers, mainly because being part of Google, they do MUCH more money than any YouTuber.
    COPPA compliance and being "advertiser friendly" are two completely different things. One is about law, the other is about business. A video can be advertiser friendly and yet not designed for children.
    It is important to understand that Youtube will lose a lot of money because of this implementation of the COPPA, so they didn't do it for business purpose, they did it because they were forced to do it by law enforcement agencies.

So I am not on the side of youtube, I am on the side of law enforcement, because I believe children should be able to use youtube safely, and I believe it is up to youtube to hide the content that is not designed for children from their view, because you can't realistically expect parents to monitor what their children are watching nonstop.

Again it is important to understand that nothing will change for users who are above 13, and they will be able to see the same videos as always. The only thing that will change is that videos that are not designed for children will be hidden from children view.

I have all of my videos labelled "not for kids". I also have a Vidlii account but i doubt that platform's getting big any time soon cause Google's got a monopoly in the video-sharing industry.

My MUGEN Website (Under reconstruction): https://kris-kagura.webs.com/

(Eventual) WIPS:
    Keke Satan - Gonna restart using Sol Badguy from GG1 as a base.
    April Fools Character - ???

Uploads
    Comments

I remember that here in Brazil, many children were traumatized by a video showing the Momo doll (it was news in all newspapers and TV news here).
    The implementation of COPPA on YouTube is good to prevent videos like what I mentioned above, but still need the supervision of parents or guardians, I have 3 underage brothers, I know very well how it is.
    http://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic35401_1.gif

Faça do dia de hoje o melhor dia da sua vida.

Uploads
    Comments

I understand why this is happening, but still a $42,000 fine for each mislabeled video seens a bit too severe for a punishment. Then again this change is just starting so I will save my full opinion for january. Time to create Create a account for Bit Chute I guess.

Uploads
    Comments

I understand why this is happening, but still a $42,000 fine for each mislabeled video seens a bit too severe for a punishment. Then again this change is just starting so I will save my full opinion for january. Time to create Create a account for Bit Chute I guess.
    Without an appropriate punishment, many greedy or careless people would mislabel their videos. Keep in mind kids could get scared for life, it could take only one mislabeled video to traumatize millions of children. This is no laughing matter, people just need to take child protection seriously.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Without an appropriate punishment, many greedy or careless people would mislabel their videos. Keep in mind kids could get scared for life, this is no laughing matter, people just need to take child protection seriously.
    Understandable, there's gonna be people who will do that but still very severe for people who don't want to lose their video's comment section and have their videos being basically invisible. I get that this is all thanks to Youtube's mistake, but the way how the law is described is very ambiguous with what is kid friendly and what not. The last thing it says is basically "Get your lawyer ready." More clarity would be welcome.

I'm just waiting to see how things get in january before saying if this was a good move or not.

Uploads
    Comments

but the way how the law is described is very ambiguous with what is kid friendly and what not. The last thing it says is basically "Get your lawyer ready." More clarity would be welcome.
    You could use PEGI or ESRB as a reference.
    https://pegi.info/
    It has clear definitions of 3+ 7+ 12+ and so on.
    My personal understanding is MUGEN videos should fall in the 12+ category most of the time.
    On steam, titles such as SF5 have a "TEEN" ESRB rating, which seems to confirm the above.

Uploads
    Comments

COPPA's real impact on Youtube won't be felt till mid-January or so, but it is already clear that COPPA isn't the best at being clear... Dizzy's suggestion of using ESRB ratings as a guide to rate your video's is smart.

Uploads
    Comments

I want to know too

Uploads
    Comments

I would like to ask everyone here to not go overboard about this COPPA-bashing campaign. I just issued an infraction to a member who threatened a government official, which is a crime, and he could have serious problems about it.

I am really upset by these Youtubers-scumbags who started this bashing campaign just because they'll make less money. They have turned vulnerable persons into keyboard warriors who do things that are harmful to themselves.

Again do not trust this bashing campaign, COPPA is not the Apocalypse, nor the Evil, it's just a law that is meant to protect children online. This bashing campaign was started by Youtubers-scumbags who care only about making money. Don't let them use you as their cannon fodder, don't do stupid things because of them, don't trust in their lies, you'll see within a few weeks that nothing has changed on youtube for you, and that all of this was just blown out of proportion.