UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Feature requests

Quote Originally Posted by aka2810 View Post
    I feel like we need some sort of Forward Messaging System in place for all users for when Community Weekend hits or any important event in order to cut back on confusion. Since there are many people here that don't use the forums as often as others.
    There's already an huge notice during community weekends, but only users of the "Lurker" group can see it. Everything is detailed with as much details as possible, it's just people nowadays can't be bothered to read more than two lines of text, especially the newest generation.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    There's already an huge notice during community weekends, but only users of the "Lurker" group can see it. Everything is detailed with as much details as possible, it's just people nowadays can't be bothered to read more than two lines of text, especially the newest generation.
    Ah I see. No wonder. Thanks for letting me know about that. Its been a while since I had lurker status

Uploads
    Comments

adding a voting/suggestion for most desired new character. like a monthly thing. then the top voted could give a bit of spark in the creators, since theyll see theres a serious fanbase for this fighter etc. im still fairly new so there could be something like this i havent found. if there is one then it would have a larger impact front and center as an important main menu button. would give visitors a larger sense of belonging and purpose and overall nudge people positively in the direction of an interactive member rather than ghosting it lurker style like so many do. just an idea i noodled up. hope this can help your team better the site. it truly is a great archive. :)

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Xion117 View Post
    adding a voting/suggestion for most desired new character. like a monthly thing. then the top voted could give a bit of spark in the creators, since theyll see theres a serious fanbase for this fighter etc. im still fairly new so there could be something like this i havent found. if there is one then it would have a larger impact front and center as an important main menu button. would give visitors a larger sense of belonging and purpose and overall nudge people positively in the direction of an interactive member rather than ghosting it lurker style like so many do. just an idea i noodled up. hope this can help your team better the site. it truly is a great archive. :)
    That sounds like a great idea! I would love to see something like that on this website too!
    The MUGENite formerly known as StrikeFreedomGirl555
    PPVS2 Username: Signum
    Trakt.tv account: https://trakt.tv/users/thewhitedevil27
    Letterboxd account: https://letterboxd.com/TheWhiteDevil27/

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Xion117 View Post
    Do you mean a character of the month poll? That's the community domain so you may feel free to create such polls.

Note that if you click "more" at the end of the featured characters banner, you'll see the list of the most popular character over the last ~30 days. The popularity score is based off up-votes among other things.

Uploads
    Comments

Do you mean a character of the month poll? That's the community domain so you may feel free to create such polls.

Note that if you click "more" at the end of the featured characters banner, you'll see the list of the most popular character over the last ~30 days. The popularity score is based off up-votes among other things.
    well the idea i was thinking was aimed for characters not yet created. more of a way for like you said to upvote a character that the community would like to see created. that way maybe someone whos a good character builder might see the top character votes and build one of them. plus it would be another way for the community to interact with each other. for instance as a random example ive seen. theres a very nice marge character that is very well made except the english version of her hasnt been created yet and ive seen a couple of comments on getting her once shes in english. they could forum it but it might not get noticed by a potential creator. but with a menu for voting for builds there idea of an english dubbed marge might be picked up on easier. the forums do work for this idea i was just thinking expanding it to its own section could open new doors for new and desired fighters.

but the featured characters section is indeed a nice touch to the site. ive found more than a few really well made fighters there :) basicially that type of interface but for voting for best unmade character idea.

- - - Updated - - -

again im new, where do i find character of the month and what is it exactly? most popular character?

Uploads
    Comments

I don't know if this has been requested yet, but is it OK to only have the option to like or dislike AFTER a download to avoid biased reviews? There are people disliking things without even downloading them.

Quote Originally Posted by XiconDestoroyah View Post
    I don't know if this has been requested yet, but is it OK to only have the option to like or dislike AFTER a download to avoid biased reviews? There are people disliking things without even downloading them.
    That wouldn't exactly fix much to be honest; you can click the download button, immediately cancel it from your browser, and then still have the option to like/dislike.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Endercreeper9999 View Post
    That wouldn't exactly fix much to be honest; you can click the download button, immediately cancel it from your browser, and then still have the option to like/dislike.
    It would at least lower the amount of biased reviews. Not to its entirety but a small amount. There are some people who wouldn't even bother to click the download button, even if it's an instant cancel. But, then again, there might be something I'm missing that can be an alternative solution. In fact, I'm going to think and I'll come back to see if it's a good solution.

-Edit-

OK, so. The only thing I have for an idea is that staff members can easily see on a file the users who liked or dislike a file and if those people have downloaded it or not. If they didn't download it, something can just say "no" next to the user's name, but if they did download it, instead of a "no" it can say how long the time was between the download and the like/dislike.

Now this is only from the things I can think of. If you guys don't have the time to implement this or it would be too much of a hassle, then I understand.
    Last edited by XiconDestoroyah; May 08, 2018 at 00:25.

Uploads
    Comments

I'd like to see the Latest Files change to match the section you are looking in. So if I go to stages I only see the latest stages not everything that's been uploaded recently.

Not sure how easy that would be to do, but I think it could be useful.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by XiconDestoroyah View Post
    That would be very difficult considering the download logs are trimmed regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXWJoker View Post
    I'd like to see the Latest Files change to match the section you are looking in. So if I go to stages I only see the latest stages not everything that's been uploaded recently.

Not sure how easy that would be to do, but I think it could be useful.
    Isn't every section sorted by latest files by default.

Uploads
    Comments

I was wondering if there was an unsubscribe button for threads? My inbox gets loaded with emails from Mugen Archive and while I've turned off the option to get emails from threads I still get some.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by KingR View Post
    I was wondering if there was an unsubscribe button for threads? My inbox gets loaded with emails from Mugen Archive and while I've turned off the option to get emails from threads I still get some.
    Sure.
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/subscription.php

Uploads
    Comments

I feel that the search function on this site would be greatly improved if there was a way to filter out types of files (chars, stages, add-ons etc). Or add a new column in the search results for the type of file
    because this has been an issue with characters that have their respective stages where it is hard to tell if it's a stage or a character file. It would help save a great deal of time for uploaders that check to see beforehand if a file already exists and hopefully reduce the number of duplicate uploads as well.

EDIT: and before anyone suggests the "search category" feature, i will point out that it wont return results from the subcategories it may contain (example, I want to search Iori across all KOF games, but if you search from the SNK chars page there will be no hits. general search works fine but you get chars AND stages and even stuff from other series)
    Last edited by Juu-bei7; Aug 16, 2018 at 10:21.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Juu-bei7 View Post
    I feel that the search function on this site would be greatly improved if there was a way to filter out types of files (chars, stages, add-ons etc). Or add a new column in the search results for the type of file
    because this has been an issue with characters that have their respective stages where it is hard to tell if it's a stage or a character file. It would help save a great deal of time for uploaders that check to see beforehand if a file already exists and hopefully reduce the number of duplicate uploads as well.

EDIT: and before anyone suggests the "search category" feature, i will point out that it wont return results from the subcategories it may contain (example, I want to search Iori across all KOF games, but if you search from the SNK chars page there will be no hits. general search works fine but you get chars AND stages and even stuff from other series)
    Our internal search engine is entirely custom and was designed almost a decade ago. For the internet, ten years are like a century, which is why it is so limited. But I have some good news, modernizing the search engine is in the TODO list.

Preview thumbnails will be added to the search results (suggested by @Megaman) and some metadata filters will be added (number of sprites, animations, etc...). Your suggestions are excellent and will be added to the todo list. There will be a file type filter and it will be possible to include subfolders in the search.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Our internal search engine is entirely custom and was designed almost a decade ago. For the internet, ten years are like a century, which is why it is so limited. But I have some good news, modernizing the search engine is in the TODO list.

Preview thumbnails will be added to the search results (suggested by @Megaman) and some metadata filters will be added (number of sprites, animations, etc...). Your suggestions are excellent and will be added to the todo list. There will be a file type filter and it will be possible to include subfolders in the search.
    How about sorting by date modified (Oldest character made to newest or vise versa) I'm trying to make a roster consisting of old characters.

Hey, so I'm not sure if these suggestions were posted yet because I only skimmed through the pages, but I have a couple that I think would make the site a bit better for uploaders:

The ability to change and delete their own files at will:

Sometimes the search engine acts weird for me and I don't see that creation is already on the site until I've already re-uploaded it. There was also a time or two where I uploaded a file that was modified by accident, and I am unable to change it, so now everyone is just stuck downloading this file with a dumb modification. Or perhaps if a creation gets updated, the author would have to re-upload it and have to call out for an admin to come terminate the old version for them? To me, this is just a hassle and I don't see any reason for it.

I think it would save a lot of time and hassle for uploaders if they could simply delete or change a file if they believe they have made a mistake. It would also mean that admins/mods wouldn't have to constantly be bothered to delete stuff that was re-uploaded by accident, or be PM'd to delete a file so the uploader can upload a new version.

Another reason I suggest this is because I learned from a fellow user and an administrator that users can be banned for re-uploading a vague "too many times", which is a logical rule for people who are mindlessly spamming content that's already on the site. But, this can be rather nerve-wracking when trying to upload certain files, because as I said before, sometimes the search engine fails to find what I search for and stuff can be re-uploaded by complete accident. Especially since this isn't mentioned on the Upload Rules announcement page, and I've even been warned by other users to make sure not to upload duplicates.

This is yet another reason to allow people to remove a file that they have uploaded (obviously a non-mod/non-admin user shouldn't be able to delete another user's upload). It takes the stress off, so if they upload a file and realize it's already been uploaded, they can just delete it without getting the akukin. If anyone, has any thoughts they'd like to share on this, I'd love to see it.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Worm View Post
    Hey, so I'm not sure if these suggestions were posted yet because I only skimmed through the pages, but I have a couple that I think would make the site a bit better for uploaders:

The ability to change and delete their own files at will:

Sometimes the search engine acts weird for me and I don't see that creation is already on the site until I've already re-uploaded it. There was also a time or two where I uploaded a file that was modified by accident, and I am unable to change it, so now everyone is just stuck downloading this file with a dumb modification. Or perhaps if a creation gets updated, the author would have to re-upload it and have to call out for an admin to come terminate the old version for them? To me, this is just a hassle and I don't see any reason for it.

I think it would save a lot of time and hassle for uploaders if they could simply delete or change a file if they believe they have made a mistake. It would also mean that admins/mods wouldn't have to constantly be bothered to delete stuff that was re-uploaded by accident, or be PM'd to delete a file so the uploader can upload a new version.

Another reason I suggest this is because I learned from a fellow user and an administrator that users can be banned for re-uploading a vague "too many times", which is a logical rule for people who are mindlessly spamming content that's already on the site. But, this can be rather nerve-wracking when trying to upload certain files, because as I said before, sometimes the search engine fails to find what I search for and stuff can be re-uploaded by complete accident. Especially since this isn't mentioned on the Upload Rules announcement page, and I've even been warned by other users to make sure not to upload duplicates.

This is yet another reason to allow people to remove a file that they have uploaded (obviously a non-mod/non-admin user shouldn't be able to delete another user's upload). It takes the stress off, so if they upload a file and realize it's already been uploaded, they can just delete it without getting the akukin. If anyone, has any thoughts they'd like to share on this, I'd love to see it.
    Don't worry about doing some mistakes, everyone does, even the staff members. Obviously the more you upload, the more mistakes we will tolerate.

It won't lead to a ban unless it is blatant vandalism, for example if 90% of your uploads are bad and you persistently refuse to learn anything from it.

Uploads
    Comments

Thank you!

Don't worry about doing some mistakes, everyone does, even the staff members. Obviously the more you upload, the more mistakes we will tolerate.

It won't lead to a ban unless it is blatant vandalism, for example if 90% of your uploads are bad and you persistently refuse to learn anything from it.
    Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that, as that does relieve some of the stress. But even still, has any thought been given to letting uploaders update and delete the files that uploaded? I feel like that would still be an easy way to prevent mistakes from happening, and that way, admins/mods wouldn't have to merge/disapprove/remove every single file if a user discovered their mistake and simply removed the item themselves? If not, that's fine, I'll just contact an admin/mod if I notice a mistake like that happening again and have the item removed. Just wanted to know if my suggestion would be technically viable or valid.