UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 22 12345611 ... LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default What's the worst thing about MUGEN?

It's 2016, soon to be 2017. As the internet continues to move forward, there are some things that are left and forgotten.

When it comes to Mugen-related websites, some of my favorites are dead and gone. Links no longer exist or become plagued by phishing and adware. Sites that are still around don't offer as much as they did 5 or even, in some cases, 10+ years ago.
    I'm very grateful that websites like this exist, but not everything I'm looking for can be found either at all or without extensive web searching.
    Granted, this is more about the internet than Mugen itself, but I've never had trouble looking for anything that's not Mugen-related.

But what about you guys (and girls). What do you think is the worst thing about Mugen?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: What's the worst thing about MUGEN?

MUGEN Drama. Bashing other users and authors.

Uploads
    Comments

Content that's lost forever.
    Elecbyte provided UI for managing custom content would be nice, but community took care of that. Doing it manually isn't exceptionally difficult either.
    Incompatibilities.

Uploads
    Comments

This is gonna a be a bit controversial but private characters. I understand why authors do so, and they wanna have something special that can't be edited. But when you see a super well made character that you can't download, it's heartbreaking

The limitations of the Engine, Mugen still can't do a lot of things that even some of the oldest Fighting games could do at the beginning, without some workarounds that only work if you make a full game where you code every feature in every character to make this things work, any kind of stage interaction for example.

Uploads
    Comments

limitations of the engine, i wish you could give a char a theme and probably content that becomes offline, to the point that becomes ridiculously hard to find.

Tabris666 is offline User banned for repeated defamation (through sock puppet accounts) Banned
    Uploads
    Comments

Well what i dont like is the people complaining about limitations of the engine when they make those good for nothing screenpacks with 9 thousands slots,the people that claims other people works as their owns (when i asked to someone about the modifictions and fix he made on a screenpack he didnt answer) and people that use the excuse of compilation as a method to gain fame and money (people that use google partnership and post youtube videos and redirect to everyone to their youtube account) this is the main reason mugen has died and most of the coders have gone away because certain people complained about certain screenpacks like "it looks good but 48 slot is too low can you make it with 900 slots" or "i edited this screenpack to make it cool with more slots to put more chars" but the edits are arse
    Most of the problems of the engine as people said is the lack of knowledge because you can overcome the so called limits using a custom common1.cns (default size 41kb the one i have is around 97kb and it have the kof99 exact gameplay) so making your own common1 can overcome the limits the only limit of the engine is the 3 gb ram before the out of memory error, just think that samurai ultimate mugen screenpack use around 2 gb of ram leaving space for low res chars and stages if you load a char that is ultra compresed like mikuMMD you will have an out of memory error.
    What i dont like is that the so called community overseas dont allow mugen hacks,and the hacks that existed are lost forever and the linux versions arent showed anywhere or original versions
    .- linmugen 2007 (is the last version it had zoom in zoom out,stages 1080p,helpers up to 300,optimized decompresion,png screenshots,32 bit color for chars and stages)
    .- winmugen 2003 (cool version it fixed the problems with continue screen and the one i still use it have 5 filters but because of the lack of information only 4 filters are known)
    .- chinese winmugen 2003 hack modules loading (this one was cool because it had a tool to encrypt everything and make the modules)
    .- chinsese winmugen 2003 hack jar encryption (this one was good because it had a java type encryption so it was almost imposible to decrypt all the chars need to be encrypted and only perfect chars could be encrypted if it had even the slightest error it wont be encrypted,the .jar encrypted chars are automatically loaded and there was a ton of tools just for this one)
    .- broken mugen HD(the so called D8 mugen this one had a good screenpack unfortunatelly the author got bashed on all the communities so he didnt upload anything outside his site and he barelly allowed subcriptions)
    .- ps2mugen (as the name says this mugen was made for ps2 lost forever it allowed up to 64 chars)
    .- chinese mugen online (this hack was made for lan play and allowed 3vs3 fights and tournament elmination mode it was based on 2k3 mugen)
    As some people have said tons of stuff are missing forever but due to communities rules and problems those wont be online for a long time,and most of the problem are american mugen communities that steal stuff (they have made more than 200 athena asamiya edits and there is little difference betwen those) or the people that want certain screenpacks to gain fame and money

- - - Updated - - -

private chars are keep private because would you like to see other people claiming the char you made from scratch to be theirs or people making money with the char you made,if you understand you shouldnt ask (mappa originally sold all his chars trough dl but people posted the chars in here and lots of places the chars is private/shareware and comes with a license that you agreed since the momment you buyed the char but overseas people didt care they just uploaded the char and it costed 4 dollars each char and was made from scratch)

Uploads
    Comments

How much time it takes to put everything together.

Tabris666 is offline User banned for repeated defamation (through sock puppet accounts) Banned
    Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by argetlam View Post
    How much time it takes to put everything together.
    It takes 10 minutes for screenpack + 20 stages and 32 chars and up to 1 hour to put 100 stages and 200 chars is not that much if you play against other people and dont give a crap about fixing and it will take you around 2 or 3 months to fix everything for a balanced game of 16 chars with 16 stages

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Tabris666 View Post
    It takes 10 minutes for screenpack + 20 stages and 32 chars and up to 1 hour to put 100 stages and 200 chars is not that much if you play against other people and dont give a crap about fixing and it will take you around 2 or 3 months to fix everything for a balanced game of 16 chars with 16 stages
    Yup. Now add every every franchise+gaming style+size+ and w/e other variation of mugen you can think of, plus the abundant authors and variation of each character lol. Sometimes i wish i didint like any of these characters lol..
    But the i realized last week its taking me more than 4 months cause im using a phone to download. Couple years ago it took me a whole month to set everything up.....till i deleted it like an idiot.

You win! My reason isnt valid, cause phones fault.

GUESS I LIKE EVERYTHING BOUT MUGEN THEN :)

Uploads
    Comments

Losing control of some of the mugen characters.

Uploads
    Comments

I would be careful with confusing problems with a community as problems with mugen itself, it's not fair to but people's behavioral problems as the fault of a game engine.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Fightermaker5 View Post
    Losing control of some of the mugen characters.
    i think that happens when the AI activates when you're using the char, the last char with that problem i used to have was that fake neo wesker, everytime i used his taunt he was instantly being controlled by the AI

Uploads
    Comments

Characters that are Obvious Beta

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by WarioGuy View Post
    Characters that are Obvious Beta
    Which are actually super early alphas labeled as "beta" with no actual future development ever going to happen.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Honestly, the worst thing about MUGEN is... MUGEN. I hate to be that guy who makes characters but hates MUGEN anyways but MUGEN has a lot of problems community and engine wise. Here's why:

- Too much drama

- The only large MUGEN communities out there are Mugen< > and Mugen < > (Wish MugenArchive the best luck)

- On top of that, there is absolutely no Japanese forum sites for Mugen. So how does Japan interact with their fellow Mugen players in their language?

- It is almost impossible to make a balanced roster.

- The puzzle pieces are always missing. What I mean by that is basically we are missing a ton of important characters. We have Agrias, so where's Ramza? Montblanc? But no Marche? Vivi? But no Zidane? Erza but no pink hair fire dude from Fairy Tail? Link? But no Zelda? No Klonoa stages? Freedom Planet? What?

- Poorly designed characters. Also known as "Retards" I often see these characters. I don't blame them for being bad. Maybe they're beginner's practice.

- People who make fun of "Retard creators" for simply making bad characters.

- Way too much customization. I know, I know. But hear me out... A lot of customization is good, but too much freedom will lead to bad causes, and honestly we're better off with a highly customizable Smash clone rather than a highly customizable Street Fighter/MVC/Tekken/Whatever.

- Back in 2009 and below (Thank god this was over) MUGEN download scams were common. I remember when I got a virus the first time I installed WinMUGEN.

- Not very many people like to help others. People who need help are often ignored and like mentioned before, people would rather make fun of the bashed rather than give feedback.

- Now to finish this off, while the customization within CHARACTERS are unlimited in an unhealthy matter, the rest are very, very limited.

Uploads
    Comments

it needs more pixels

Uploads
    Comments

The long dry spiels of recent years that make making videos for the engine so dull. Nothing interesting to try, nothing interesting to fight.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Megaman View Post
    It is almost impossible to make a balanced roster.
    Not really. It just takes a lot of work, but most of the time you'll have to stick to one gameplay.

Uploads
    Comments

lack of updates.