UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Poll: The MUGEN ARCHIVE is evil?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Do you really believe the MUGEN ARCHIVE is evil?

During its history the MUGEN ARCHIVE has met criticism and controversies. And after thinking much about it, I would like to share my opinion on the matter.

The classic controversy is the hosting of creations without permission. We've answered this point in our FAQs. Formal permission from the creator should never be required as long as it is considered fair use. Creators themselves usually re-use code, sounds or graphics made by others, without needing any formal permission, precisely because it's fair use. At the end of the day, let's not forget this is just a game and people want to play it, not ponder if they have the permission to have fun. Note that most of the community ended agreeing with us, yet this controversy was recently revived. Kind of, because it was probably not entirely honest.

Recently a new controversy has sparked over the use of ads. We've explained that running such a huge site would be very difficult without ads, and pointed that the free hosting services commonly used by the community (4shared, etc...) were filled with ads. Sadly these free services wouldn't exist without ads, and nether would google, youtube, facebook, twitter and so on.

We believe the criticism is biased if not plainly hypocritical. these controversies have been mostly started by individuals which run or are part of third party websites, and see us as a dangerous competitor. Sadly, I believe these attacks were nothing but a petty power struggle, sparked by individuals seeking to enforce their "power" and influence over the community. You can tell because these sites have had and still have very similar practices : regularly hosting content without permission on ad filled websites such as 4shared.

When one of these site admins is asked how we should fund our servers, the blatant hypocrisy is exposed :

Basically, they just want our site to die. Why? Because competitors must die.

The truth is no other website provides the services we do offer to the community, no other website preserves and documents MUGEN content like we do, so please don't let all that drama get to you and just enjoy what the site offers. These individuals don't care about the community greater good, they don't care about playing and having fun, they only care about their ego, they only care about their "power" and influence. Sadly, that's all there is to it.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Do you really believe the MUGEN ARCHIVE is evil?

I'm voting pure evil LMAO

Was this thread supposed to be funny?

"Only the good die young.. all the evil seems to live forever"!

Uploads
    Comments

It's not. It's a great site, and shouldn't be considered a competitor. It has almost 90% of the stuff i need for MUGEN.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Live and prosper, MA. This is the best site there is to get anything of the latest version.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even think it's a power struggle. If not, it's hold up extremely well.
    A place for people to get together and share their original created work.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/MUGENTamamin/index/

Uploads
    Comments

I've always thought people sperging out over their characters and stages being used was retarded. You made a mugen character based off an already copyrighted character and you expect people to ask permission when you didn't even ask permission from the copyright holders of your character to begin with? Who the fuck do you think you are? A hypocrite is one thing to start. It's just as dumb as those people who draw a copyrighted character and get mad when someone does something as simple as post it off website while they were still credited by this person.

The mugen community is based off of "everything vs everything" and has been one huge copyright infringement circle excluding the original creations for more than a decade, being saved from lawsuits by the fact that no one is making money off this. So honestly the community should embrace open source principles. As long as people get credited, stop whining.

I can see why someone would be upset over their ORIGINAL creations being used, but it's still better and more fun if people are allowed to use your creation to make something different or even better. People will also be sad when your character 404's. :( All in all it's a slippery slope, and Mugen has always been like that. Whether it's wrong or not I don't want to see all these characters fade away. :(

As for this site making money off of copyright infringement... sadly it's something that needs to be done. It's wrong, but how else are we going to save all these characters from fading off the internet?
    Last edited by aeong; 6th September 2016 at 21:03.

Uploads
    Comments

I say its evil, theres nothing wrong with being bad

bad guys get cool stuff

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by That Blue Flame guy View Post
    I say its evil, theres nothing wrong with being bad

bad guys get cool stuff
    3edgy5me

Quote Originally Posted by aeong View Post
    I've always thought people sperging out over their characters and stages being used was retarded. You made a mugen character based off an already copyrighted character and you expect people to ask permission when you didn't even ask permission from the copyright holders of your character to begin with? Who the fuck do you think you are? A hypocrite is one thing to start. It's just as dumb as those people who draw a copyrighted character and get mad when someone does something as simple as post it off website while they were still credited by this person.

The mugen community is based off of "everything vs everything" and has been one huge copyright infringement circle excluding the original creations for more than a decade, being saved from lawsuits by the fact that no one is making money off this. So honestly the community should embrace open source principles. As long as people get credited, stop whining.

I can see why someone would be upset over their ORIGINAL creations being used, but it's still better and more fun if people are allowed to use your creation to make something different or even better. People will also be sad when your character 404's. :( All in all it's a slippery slope, and Mugen has always been like that. Whether it's wrong or not I don't want to see all these characters fade away. :(
    this is so true!
    Last edited by Mortos; 8th September 2016 at 22:19.

Uploads
    Comments

I don't think so. MUGEN Archive is a great site when you can find everything! You just need to create an account and tada! It also have old rare chars, stages, etc. things from the DOS-WinMUGEN era!

In my opinion, MUGEN Archive isn't bad. Or evil. Or bad and evil. It's awesome and good.

Also it isn't petty power struggle.

Uploads
    Comments

This place needs more undertale.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Tanicfan22 View Post
    In my opinion, MUGEN Archive isn't bad. Or evil. Or bad and evil. It's awesome and good.

Also it isn't petty power struggle.
    yeh...wh-what he said. uh huh...*yawns*

...but I find it hard to vote. Shouldn't your opinion be couple with another lenghty quote from MFG PoV? preferably from Umezono? I would deem that guy the "peacekeeper" of the bunch, no?

I agree with you Dizzy, just don't get blown out by something like a typo...

I didn't use this site for long since my return to the M.U.G.E.N. community was recent, so i don't have a graps on the drama.
    A lot of the arguments against the site that i saw were either about the hosting without permission, or about the bandwith limits.
    The best i can do is offer my take on these several topics:
    - Hosting without Permission - M.U.G.E.N. community is not an extremely large one. And it IS based on content made by the community itself. When i recently came back to rebuild my roster, i saw that a lot of my favorite pages and hosts have simply died. There is nothing scarier to a M.U.G.E.N. enthusiast than seeing a beautiful stage, only to discover that it's forever lost behind a dead link.
    Rules are rules, but if the point of what Mugen Archive does is to prevent such a situation where these little pearls of content are lost forever, then i absolutely agree with everything that this site stands for. More so, in some cases it would be extremely hard to even ask for permission, considering that once a certain japanese creator's geocities site dies, there is no way to contact them left. Plus it's fair use, obviously.
    - Advertisements - To my knowledge, MugenArchive hosts it's own files. That costs money. Simple as that.
    - Bandwith limits - Since it costs money, it needs to be regulated. Having the chance to bypass the limits by contributing to the community is a nice chance already.

Uploads
    Comments

Say Dizzy. Can somebody make a new section for full mugens that are premade and have characters and stages already installed? I think this would be a really cool feature to be honest and there a lot of good premade mugens that are hard to find and would be much easier to access them if they're were uploaded here. Thanks and have a great day everybody.

Uploads
    Comments

I don't think it's evil. I think it's wonderful that MUGEN Content is being preserved.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by aeong View Post

As for this site making money off of copyright infringement... sadly it's something that needs to be done. It's wrong, but how else are we going to save all these characters from fading off the internet?
    you pretty much nailed it right there

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Left4Joker View Post
    I'm voting pure evil LMAO

Was this thread supposed to be funny?

"Only the good die young.. all the evil seems to live forever"!
    Sadly I believe a lot of people were misled and genuinely believe we're a bad site.

I wish they would now realize they were manipulated by a few hypocritical individuals who care more about petty power struggles than the community's greater good. As some pointed, if this site didn't exist, this community would still be the living hell it was a decade ago, when people were wasting a lot of time only to meet frustration or confusion most of the time. MUGEN could never grow into something larger because of a few reasons, one being all of the drama. Perhaps to a lesser extent than the lack of standards, but drama doesn't help building standards.

Uploads
    Comments

About the "Hypocrisy" you never cited any source where Iced said the opposite. Also, I thought this issue was dead why did you have to bring it up?

Mh I don't think the site is Evil, I'm not always agree with every decision the staff makes, but I have to accept it even if I don't like it.

The fact is, that the Archive is the only real working Mugen Warehouse that still exists, because it hosts its stuff on it's own server, other sites like Free for all are just using 4shared or and other hosting sites that are long-term solution, or they ironically linked direct to other warehouses who are mostly already dead, what makes many forum threads for "classic" collections or "rare characters" on there site useless, because they are just filled with dead links that no one cares to update, or they link to the Guides database, who until the Drama happend, linked in many cases back to this site.

The thing is, if someone becomes a Member of this site, he agrees to the terms of services of this site and has to obey the rules like on any other site, Rules mean always restrictions and limitations, and if people can't live with this limitations and restrictions, they are free to leave the site and use another source, because no one is forcing them to use this site.

Uploads
    Comments

Jokingly said evil. Wait, is this thread serious? SHIT!

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
    The fact is, that the Archive is the only real working Mugen Warehouse that still exists, because it hosts its stuff on it's own server, other sites like Free for all are just using 4shared or and other hosting sites that are long-term solution, or they ironically linked direct to other warehouses who are mostly already dead, what makes many forum threads for "classic" collections or "rare characters" on there site useless, because they are just filled with dead links that no one cares to update, or they link to the Guides database, who until the Drama happend, linked in many cases back to this site.
    The dead links are good news for uploaders who know how to access them and bring characters back.
    Also, why don't we have a poll rather than a forum discussion about this? No bias or anything, just people's opinions. Or perhaps a small survey so that the staff will know how to make this site better.