UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Music in fighting games

Fighting games have some of the most recognizable music in video games, some of them being character themes and other being stage themes (the SF4 skater theme comes to mind). Do you think good music in fighting games is important or should music not matter?

Personally I think character themes add alot of depth and interest to characters especially when they are remixed across different games, Geese Howard's themes are a good example of this as his theme has been relatively similar over the years (Compare his KOF 96 and KOF X1 themes).

Also post some of your favorite fighting game music if you want

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Music in fighting games

Music is very important in not just fighting games, but every other game as well. Music is great at setting up the tone for a scene or level in a video game, such as loud and frantic boss music, or quiet and introverted music that plays when the game wants to convey emotions.

Uploads
    Comments

A fighting game with a silent hill approach to music would be interesting, I wonder if it's been done before.

Uploads
    Comments

Yes, that's a pretty strange but cool idea! And since we're on the topic of fighting game music one of my personal favorites is Captain America's theme from Marvel Super Heroes!
    Duuuun duuuun dun dun, duuuun duuuun dun dun duuuun dun duuuun dun duuuuuun!!!

Uploads
    Comments

Music is definitely a huge part of fighting games for me. My two favorite tracks are Fetus of God from Darkstalkers and Abyss's theme from Marvel vs. Capcom.

Uploads
    Comments

Music often makes or breaks many media in my opinion.
    Personally I've been a fan of the voiced covers of songs from Psycho Soldier, especially XI's version of Kizudarake no Blue Moon. Dante's theme and Arther's theme from UMVC3 are awesome too. And Ride the Fire from GGXrd just makes using Dragon install that much more satisfying
    Last edited by KuraiSol; 13th August 2016 at 06:45.

Uploads
    Comments

Music in fighting games are very important for me especially during very difficult battles such as final bosses and can sometimes be the difference between winning the match and getting a game over.

Uploads
    Comments

Music, when used right, can really push that sense of "AW HELL YEAH" when you're facing off against a tough opponent. Hell, when I play fighting games, I typically go to stages that contain my jams. I believe that my jams help my performance in said fighting games.

Some good jams include: Any of Geese's themes, M. Bison's Alpha 3 (Both normal and boss,) Goodbye Esaka (KOF 2000,) Stormy Scream (KOF 2000,) and Beauty and the Best (again, KOF 2000.)

Uploads
    Comments

I like Megaman X4,X5,X6 Soundtrack BGM

Uploads
    Comments

Well, I can name a few that come to mind: The Tyrant (Azrael's Theme from BlazBlue Chronophantasma), Plastic Night (Relius Clover's Theme(s) from both Continuum Shift Extend and Chronophantasma), A Fool or a Clown (Adachi's Theme from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax), Endless Despair (Unlimited Hazama's Theme from Continuum Shift only), Blood Red Moon (Minazuki's Theme from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax), M.Bison's Theme (Street Fighter 4, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and Street Fighter EX 3 mainly "The King of Kings"), Does the Sheep Count the Sheep (Bedman's Theme from Guilty Gear Xrd), Bloodstained Lineage (Testament's Boss Theme from Guilty Gear X), Awe of She (Dizzy's Boss Theme from Guilty Gear X), Magento's Theme from Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Itachi's Boss Theme from Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2, Onslaught's Theme from Marvel vs. Capcom, Galactus' Theme from Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Kaijin No Soki's Theme from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Goodman's Theme from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, An Improvised Concerto (Magaki's Theme from King of Fighters XI), Save The Universe (Igniz's Theme from King of Fighters 2002), and that's just to name a few.

Uploads
    Comments

Personally I tend to play with the game muted(hearing the same sound effects again and again start to bug me after awhile.) but street fighter and Guilty Gear Have always done an excellent job with their soundtracks.

Uploads
    Comments

I mean, Guile's Theme probably answers your question.

Uploads
    Comments

music in fighting games is a important part, and also affects the replayable value of the game... at least for me, if the game doesn't have a good OST then it becomes boring very quickly, and i end up dropping the game, so yeah! in my opinion it does matter.

Uploads
    Comments

I love music in fighting games though sometimes people think it should always be high and upbeat but slow pieces can work too. An example would be Elegant Summer from Melty Blood.

Uploads
    Comments

This looks like a cozy spot to set up a post. In all seriousness, though, it's no question that music is very important to fighting games (and in any game in general, but we're not talking about "any game" here). As far as FGs go, it depends on the mood that a fight's situation goes, sometimes. For me, I always liked high-paced, high-energy, aggressive styles of music (rock, techno, etc.). However, given a particular mood, for example, any general fight that gives of a sorrowful vibe, can be equally as excellent as long as it enhances the fighting atmosphere. Given that broad of a scope, just about any style can work. I mean one might not thing jazz would work in a fighting game, but a game like MVC2 made it work. Just saying.

Oh, and if you're wondering about any specific BGMs I'd like to use... let's leave it open to spectulation and say, "a lot." Heh.

Uploads
    Comments

I gotta feel it when i'm playing. If it helps you stay pumped and focused, then it's a success.

Uploads
    Comments

The song that plays when you fight Metal Cooler in Xenoverse 2 is really nice.

Uploads
    Comments

I love having perfect timing with a track when i play fighters. When you turn around the fight, and just as you do that, the soundtrack kicks up the beat. That feeling when achieving victory under those conditions, unbeatable.

Uploads
    Comments

Yeah, they do tend to have insane tracks now that I think about it. When I played fighters the most during the ps2 era, Tekken and Soul Caliber were insanely good. But honestly, I just never really thought about it. Huh.

Uploads
    Comments

As a musician, music is super important in games to me. It makes me sad that a lot of games nowadays tend to throw it on the backburner or just do something generic sounding. Fighting games are some of the best examples because you will ALWAYS recognize those iconic character themes when they pop up, no matter how remixed or changed they are. I hope we see some awesome remixes for character themes in MvCI like they did in UMvC3.