UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: What ruins a mugen character for you?

When a character doesn’t do itself justice in watch mode

Uploads
    Comments

And Daniel Clones

Uploads
    Comments

1- Gamebreaking glitches - Why I would keep a char that closes the game without any error message or goes into the purgatory or locks himself.
    2 - Lack of good gameplay - Most important one to me

Uploads
    Comments

What ruins a character is if they look or sound terrible, or are seriously glitched. The rest of it I can usually tolerate if the character is still good otherwise.

It honestly depends on what kind of character it is/what I'm using it for, since I use MUGEN for different things.

When I'm actually using MUGEN normally, I often use watch mode because I'm terrible at fighting games, so I often find characters with sloppy A.I. or no A.I. at all, which is usually a bummer (A.I. that takes too long to activate is also infuriating, but doesn't always ruin a character for me). There's also some characters that are way too cheap for no good reason (e.g., unreasonable invincibility frames, fullscreen OHKOs from basic attacks, comboability that doesn't even give the opponents a chance, and health regeneration). Characters like that can be fun if you put them against each other, but it's especially annoying when a character like that is overpowered on that level just because it's broken and poorly made.

But when I'm garbage collecting, as I often do, I frequently encounter characters with massively beefed up stats (Idiot and Josh Geary's characters are a good example of this), characters with terrible collision (TheIranSonic has that problem), or characters that are so flashy and "intentionally bad" that they're impossible to look at and may even cause seizures (a lot of Pgrs111MAGEN's stuff is like this). There's also way too high of an abundance of sloppy clones out there (Daniel, Cartoon Guy, Mario, Sonic, etc.) that have nothing new added to them at all except for maybe a different palette and on rare occasions, some sounds.

On the rare occasion that I actually try playing the game, I can never get a good grip on characters that rely on combos. I play on the keyboard, and my fingers just aren't meant for that. Oh yeah, and also 18+ characters, but that's up to personal preference. That's about it.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Worm View Post
    It honestly depends on what kind of character it is/what I'm using it for, since I use MUGEN for different things.

When I'm actually using MUGEN normally, I often use watch mode because I'm terrible at fighting games, so I often find characters with sloppy A.I. or no A.I. at all, which is usually a bummer (A.I. that takes too long to activate is also infuriating, but doesn't always ruin a character for me). There's also some characters that are way too cheap for no good reason (e.g., unreasonable invincibility frames, fullscreen OHKOs from basic attacks, comboability that doesn't even give the opponents a chance, and health regeneration). Characters like that can be fun if you put them against each other, but it's especially annoying when a character like that is overpowered on that level just because it's broken and poorly made.

But when I'm garbage collecting, as I often do, I frequently encounter characters with massively beefed up stats (Idiot and Josh Geary's characters are a good example of this), characters with terrible collision (TheIranSonic has that problem), or characters that are so flashy and "intentionally bad" that they're impossible to look at and may even cause seizures (a lot of Pgrs111MAGEN's stuff is like this). There's also way too high of an abundance of sloppy clones out there (Daniel, Cartoon Guy, Mario, Sonic, etc.) that have nothing new added to them at all except for maybe a different palette and on rare occasions, some sounds.

Oh yeah, and also 18+ characters, but that's up to personal preference. That's about it.
    Oh yeah, The 18+ edits of female MUGEN characters (All with normal/balanced AI) are like h♥♥♥ai game (eroge/nukige)/manga/anime (h♥♥♥ai OVA) plot, Where a girl tries to fight against a agressor (who sometimes is a tentacle/slime/orc & etc of rape monsters), And the secret:
    The rap♥st wins
    ., Some of the h♥♥♥ai edits may be edited without permission from the original authors to make them compatible with rap♥sts/agressors.

As for the Daniel/CG (Cartoon Guy)/Mario "OCs"/Sonic "OCs", Are nothing but crappy reincarnations of Shiki Tohno/Donald/Kula Diamond/Iori Yagami/Len edits but they are spriteswaps of some characters with Bloated stats & SFX changed (And also recolors too, where nothing is edited except palette & voices (sometimes) ), On the past when i was 13, there were 2 Characters (Daniel/Cartoon guy style) out of myself both with "Jansen Franca Mugen" (Yeah, Jansen franca, my real name with the MUGEN title inside.), Done by SydneySotmer & Dark Paparazzi/Thunderstorm 234/Yukari2004. (And don't forget that i created crappy MUGEN Chars such as my failed self inserts (Daniel Clone/Undertale Frisk style/MS Paint, NathanKlonoaFan16/MugenNathan64 self insert, OuterTale sans And a cartoon guy recolor that's a so-called "Austin CG Style" which is a recolor of timote95 with cvs austin's voice, (Although Menat Support made a bashing video out of this cartoon guy recolor) & etc) (And yes, Etoile Chrono Tokiko (Tokinokuni-Kei's OC) is way better than my cringey self insert char).

Fun fact is that i created a Really bad "char", Who is a "Anti" daniel clone who is a Spriteswap of Tom Hanks and it's name is Doniel (Now offline thanks god).

And also the Newbies, Who discovered mugen and writes weird words at the community, Here's a example (Credits to OrochiKOF97):

Code:
    I discovered Mugen since a week, and I announce my first character. It's Orochi Mary, based on the Kain's sprites. The only problem, it's I don't know now to rip or to code. Could you help me ?
    There's also a brazilian newbie named JaguarHX Who posted a http://cutemugen.free.fr/images/mugentorch/jaguarhx.txt, Such as Warmachine's Proton Cannon idea, These ideas were stupid (LOL They are so funny for me) that OrochiKOF97 Was insulted by brazilian users and then he was banned by the admins.

And don't forget also the fact of People who reprints other creators' characters sprites & coding Without permission, Since 2000 DBZ & Saint Seiya was a fever and the "creators" who lives in brazil (Where i live, at Rio de Janeiro), Stole lots of character coding from others without authorizations of other authors to make DBZ Chars (98% of the DBZ Chars made in 2000~2001 are useless, because they have bad animations, bad coding, overpowered damage & Bad spritework) (As for Saint Seiya, Since there's no game to rip sprites, the make sprites in scratch, Although that they still steal other's coding like in the old DBZ Section.), There's also someone named KingSeiya who stole KEITARO's Athena Asamiya K97 to make Tethys (A Marinas), And the worst: The character got released without KEITARO's permission to use sprite, coding & sound data. Plus there's some MUGEN Creator (Who may be considered a thief) from brazil named EX-Inferis who reprinted lots of coding without permission from several creators to make chars such as Ravenous (Freeman edit) & Isabeau (Kula Diamond edit), A Japanese MUGEN Creator named "Warusaki3" made a CVS Gouki with new stuff & many edited sprites, http://cutemugen.free.fr/images/mugentorch/theaves.gif

Although Warusaki provided the pic which the sprites aren't from CVS, He edited them and the same are into synksky's stolen char.

Reubenkee (R.I.P)'s Evil Ken & Evil Ryu had Stolen edits to, Such as Vindicated Ryu/Ken, Evil Homer & Shotofusion. By example the Vindicated ken char has a weird instakill move.

And also commanderrandom made 2 stolen edits, First he edited yuki's Elque (Which is a good cheap character, Who is also Yuya Yanagawa from Kizuato in beast form) into Hyper Elque without yuki's permission, Hyper Elque is basically elque with bloated stats, And weird palette (Blue Eyes & Black Blood) & Second he edited Ironcommando's Mecharoid Soldier into Doom Mecharoid Soldier without ironcommando's permission (There's a youtube video about it), Like Hyper Elque, It has bloated stats also.
    Last edited by Jansen121; Apr 28, 2019 at 20:27.
    MUGEN Blog
    ~In the area since V/VI/MMIII (05/06/2003)~

W.I.P:

undecided.

FC2 Video
    Twitter: @j121_mugen
    Patreon

Uploads
    Comments

besides being bad i don't enjoy flashing backrounds

Uploads
    Comments

generic movesets, when a character that has a lot of source material for unique moves and inspired references just has basic "roundhouse kick" or "karate punch" or "ultimate punch spree" in their movesets it's insta-nope

Uploads
    Comments

It tends to be characters that have terrible sprites/animations or like op said, bad sounds.

Uploads
    Comments

Most definitely characters with cheap/outrageous/unrealistic/abusive ai coding. As well as characters with blatant copy and pasted move sets from known existing characters.

Uploads
    Comments

Hello.

Well, in the context, I will then assume that
    everything else in the character is great.
    What ruins a character, for me, is lack of a
    basic AI.

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

Charatcers like Hatsune Miku and He-Man with rather... Ridiculous move invulerability and start up time.

He-Man has a D,F Punch that can be spammed and he can't be hurt while he charges the move up. And Miku.... So many things like instant super startups that you have no chance of hitting her out of.
    Those are just two examples of ones that I found ruined by their cheap moves.

Uploads
    Comments

OP instant kill moves that are very easy for the character to obtain

Uploads
    Comments

Characters that seem stiff and have completely no combo viability. Or any moves that can string into combos.

Uploads
    Comments

an extremely unbalanced AI, this always triggers me

Uploads
    Comments

the bad ai for see how to play , the god "put his name here" or the Evil "put name here"

Uploads
    Comments

Weak or Spammy AI. Not a big deal because I can just AI patch it so it's just an inconvenience
    Version exclusives. This ain't Pokemon.
    The sprites are an MS Paint kid's drawing. This would at least be more enjoyable if it looked like a video game sprite https://mugenarchive.com/forums/down...ian-type-0-kal

Uploads
    Comments

For me, it's a cheap AI and badly ripped sprites.

Uploads
    Comments

Controls, definitely controls. Some characters have the craziest inputs, I appreciate a character being difficult to use but seriously over 10 inputs for a single special is absurd.

if i can't fight it because of hyper-speed, 10 specials or hypers per second without using normal kicks or punches and all that shit.
    i love videogames for having fun not for suffering various seizures.
    "Take from me all that's untrue
    I commend my spirit too
    It's here sudden like
    Here I am third strike"