UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Poll: Do you separate the art from the artist?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Do you separate the art from the artist?

Everyone likes to escape reality by reading books, playing video games, and/or watching movies/TV shows every now and then, right?
    Well, sometimes the creator of a work of art you enjoy turns out to be problematic. So, us, the consumers of said piece of work have a responsibility to decide to either start hating, ignore, dismiss, or just continue to like it. This is where the phrase "separating the art from the artist" comes to play and I wonder how many of you guys use it to approach media made by problematic people. Anyways, I put up a poll about it for you to vote if you separate the art from the artist or not. If you do vote on the poll, then please share your thoughts about the matter. Okay, then. Let's showcase how we try to come to terms on finding out that the works that we cherish have been made by rather unfortunate people!
    Honestly, to me, it depends.
    For example, I stopped watching JonTron right after I found out about that he made racist comments and have never watched/refuse to watch any of his videos ever since while Mega Man is still one of my favorite video game series/franchises of all time even after Kenji Infaune's whole Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter controversy.
    The MUGENite formerly known as StrikeFreedomGirl555
    PPVS2 Username: Signum
    Trakt.tv account: https://trakt.tv/users/thewhitedevil27
    Letterboxd account: https://letterboxd.com/TheWhiteDevil27/

Default Re: Do you separate the art from the artist?

They say that a creation shows the personality of its creator, but I'd say people just like the creation, not the creator until they know personally about the creator. I do criticize JonTron for his racist comments, but that's not the real reason why I would stop watching his videos. Rather, it's the videos' content that aren't as good as before. Another example would be Shadman; he loves drawing child ****ography, but he also draws some good gag comics and philosophy comics, so basically, you would just skip pass the bad stuff while leaving a "constructive criticism" with a hope that he will fix up his mess for his future works. It might not stop him from making child ****ography, but it would keep him in mind that there is someone who strongly dislike his taste in his works. To me, even if someone is as good as an angel but makes bad arts, I wouldn't like that person at all unless they want to know me personally.

Uploads
    Comments

This reminds me of the controversy that happened with Rurouni Kenshin's author, while I think what he did was wrong, very very wrong. I don't let that interefere in my liking his work, yeah it can be hard sometimes to look at something that you like and then thinking "Oh yeah this was made by this person who did that" but I still liking Rurouni Kenshin, so yeah I tend to separate the art from the author, but sometimes it can be really hard to do that.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mortos View Post
    This reminds me of the controversy that happened with Rurouni Kenshin's author, while I think what he did was wrong, very very wrong. I don't let that interefere in my liking his work, yeah it can be hard sometimes to look at something that you like and then thinking "Oh yeah this was made by this person who did that" but I still liking Rurouni Kenshin, so yeah I tend to separate the art from the author, but sometimes it can be really hard to do that.
    I still refuse to touch anything Rurouni Kenshin-related because of what Watanuki did. I hope this doesn't happen to Masaki Tsuzuki though because I feel like it might ruin Nanoha for me (although Nanoha has already been ruined slightly due to ViVid and Force).

i took the "depends" option, cause there is so much art in a million categories.
    examples...my head is kind of empty today, but i'll try^^
    videogames. shinji mikami was critisized for doing TEW 1+2, many said he just stole ideas.
    to me he did a tribute to shooters like horror-shooters like his RE4 mixed-up with
    scary stuff like Silent Hill and modern Jump-Scare like outlast but in 3rd person.
    the second game even has even a emotional story-Line, personally i am impressed of that series, even if being an RE-Fan.
    music. depeche mode is cool to me, cause they always did give a shit about "genres" people need to have it "seems" in the end.
    they have fans from nearly 40 years of music, playing synth-pop & rock, electronica, rock and even blues and accoustics.
    always trying using songs from every period of doing music on concerts. think their greatest reward is the tributes they get from every musically genre in this world,
    cause lot's of bands seem to listen better than "so-called-fans".
    actors. as i am a big fan of van damme i am also a big fan of denzel washington, but i was kind of disappointed when he said that he will never
    kiss woman wich are not black as a matter respect...yeah well...i kissed woman from all over the world, they tasted yummy no matter in wich part of the world they were born
    and they all were special to me. all my respect is for woman, cause they are gods most beautiful and precious creation.
    books. there is a few real popular horror-authors, i prefer the ones that can do little more than just pure horror^^
    sports. i played football all my life (the football were you use your feets), but i do not anymore, just watching those idiots makes me puke.
    i am not blind wasting my money for utopians like that. they didn't create a cure for cancer, their ignorance just kicks ballZ :p
    "Take from me all that's untrue
    I commend my spirit too
    It's here sudden like
    Here I am third strike"

Uploads
    Comments

I'm here to watch art for entertainment not getting to know how the author feels. Getting to know what they've done can somewhat give an idea of their approach to an art but isn't really something necessary to understand a piece unless the art in question is about the artist themselves.

Uploads
    Comments

It's said it's possible, as for me my answer is simple, for example there is no reason at all to touch nothing related to Kenshin.

Uploads
    Comments

This post has gotten pretty relevant in the past couple of days with the recent discovery that ProJared cheated on his wife. I would safely say that I will never touch any of that creep's videos ever again.

Uploads
    Comments

Artists ideals and ideologies often leak in their works, but it depends wildly by person.

For example, everyone including me seem to dislike J.K Rowling right now, but it doesn't mean that harry potter books shouldn't be enjoyed, at least the original 7, but when J.K gone bonkers, her new works became progressively worse (cursed child and 2nd magical beasts movies).

So my answer is 'it depends', though the art for me should have a very good quality for me to enjoy if artist is an ***,

Uploads
    Comments

I think its neccesary, no matter what you consume regardless of medium , the person/people who made it will have opposing views to you in some shape or form, somtimes even the extremes that you might take personal offense. I like to enjoy things for what they are, sometimes i also like the people who made it but its more on their own merits, therefor i think its good to judge stuff by itself (tho sometimes since for example if something is a sequel or a political commentary i think maybe it's possible to judge it for something besides itself like context or author but i dont think its really ever neccesary to do so)

Uploads
    Comments

I voted yes because your not going to always agree with the artist or find them a decent human being, but if I enjoy an art form that was made but disagree with the artist or something they did I find I can usually look past that. Lord knows some of my favorite actors and creators growing up have had some skeletons come out of their closet or allegations come out against them (I give benefit of the doubt, but try to completely separate art from the artist.....Just don't think about Neverland Ranch while listening to MJ)

I voted "Depends" because I decite by a case by case basis.

Uploads
    Comments

No because there wouldn't be art without the artist. The artist conveys their thoughts through their art so without associating art with an artist, you wouldn't be able to truly enjoy the art.

Uploads
    Comments

Wow, the whole controversies that are spreading about companies kow-towing to Communist China via censoring stuff and hiring people who support their evil ways when Hong Kong and a bunch of other places controlled by them are literally going through humanitarian crises because of them (especially the current controversy going on with the lady who plays Mulan in Disney's new live-action remake) is sure reminding me of this very forum post.

Uploads
    Comments

I think it honestly depends a lot, because while who an artist is inevitably influences their work, artists also often put things out that they don't necessarily mean to, and readers themselves also in a sense bring something to a work. Also, if the author is alive, I have to consider whether I want to financially support them in a way that I would not have to consider if they were dead. H.P. Lovecraft, for example, was a vile racist and generally unpleasant person (which is apparent in his work IMO) but I'm fine buying/reading collections of his work because I feel it has value outside of those flaws, and he has long since kicked the bucket and as such does not benefit from me doing that. However, I know that I wouldn't feel this way about certain disgusting people like Woody Allen, whose work I would not want to engage with even if he were dead because I feel like his grossness permeates it so thoroughly that nothing can be salvaged from it. Basically, it's a deeply personal decision IMO.

Uploads
    Comments

Had a friend ask me this a few days ago. I personally seperate the art from the artist because I believe the two are distinct. Sure the art is made from the artist's emotions, thoughts and beliefs but the work they produce is its own seperate thing. Just because the person who created it is bad/evil doesn't mean the art is therefore bad/evil. An example I gave my friend was I liked R. Kelly's Ignition Remix song. I think it's good. It doesn't mean I think he's a good guy. People interpret art differently; some people may say this art was made by a racist so the stuff they produced must be racist, and others may say the same art is just fiction/something else entirely. What you interpret from an art is just that, your interpretation. Forcing that interpretation to the definition of an art I think is wrong, since because art is subjective to the reader and their own beliefs, feelings and thoughts, you are then forcing your interpretation, thoughts, feelings and beliefs onto someone else which isn't nice. Although, an apple is still an apple.

Uploads
    Comments

This is an excellent question.

I guess it depends. For example, there are some movies I just couldn't bear to watch because of an actor/actress who had extremely controversial opinions. I couldn't help but to think about it and it ruined the immersion. But it had to be something really extreme to bug me that much.

Uploads
    Comments

I guess so. But if the person didn't do anything bad, then no.

Uploads
    Comments

The following is a reply to Mortos' (#3) comment:

After finding out about Watsuki's doings, I won't be giving him or his publisher/s a cent of my money for his works ever again. I feel what he did is irredeemable and that he doesn't deserve further success or profit, and this applies to creators who committed equally heinous acts.

Uploads
    Comments

There is no other, too often every single artist ends up being a really unpleasant person.
    Last edited by I'm the Worst; 1st April 2020 at 18:55.