UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: The cheap community sucks and ruins the whole purpose of MUGEN

it is really stressful getting a good character and seeing it is impossible to beat, but to be fair if you don't like it you can express it

Uploads
    Comments

I think Cheap Characters are not a big trouble. Because these characters just made for cheap battles and also you don't have download them if you don't want.

It's my opinion.

Uploads
    Comments

I'll only watch videos of cheap characters for entertainment. That's the only activity I shall have with cheapos!

Uploads
    Comments

I don’t know the term but what about stealth cheapies? Normal characters that have a cheap option sort of like N_Alice with the 12p activation under circumstances i haven’t found yet in the .DEF file or even just a 0-1 var in the options file, if they have one, or the various .def files if more than one present which gives them the capacity to be cheap- though I have not come across something like that before.
    I agree that cheapies CAN ruin the fun of a character roster and any battle but I don’t think they are bad in an overall view. The way I see it, they are characters that utilize the code given and are the result of said code being used whether it be lackluster and as BS as a OHKO in the intro, or when the battle starts or something nicely made or something other. M-Reimu and c_Patchouli I see to be good examples as a newbie to mugen what good utilization looks like with some segments either for defense and layers of protection as well as offense that makes them neigh unbeatable by most characters. Even now they are my go-tos as well as some others when gauging how cheap or ‘strong’ a character is.
    Some might be strong and have no or low defense to other BS powerhouses and some characters might not have what it takes to kill the opponent but they themselves cannot be killed. However, I will agree that most of the boring characters exist solely to be the strongest and use only a specific portion of what is given and that in itself is a problem which I believe is a driving force of your dissatisfaction and many others given how numerous they are and how they’re mainly the center of attention overshadowing the number of well made and well rounded characters.

Uploads
    Comments

see id like to start messing with fighter factory and making sprites but first i need to know a bit more about mugen. that and to not be a lurker so i can actually get FF.

Uploads
    Comments

Partially true, partially untrue. I enjoy fighting cheap characters, it brings a great challenge to overcome. However, I will say that an overload and focus on cheap stuff, really takes away from creativity and the passion to make solid, well balanced, and strong characters.

Uploads
    Comments

Well said, all though I appreciate well made cheapies that have actual movesets.

Uploads
    Comments

Glad I wasn't playing mugen back in the days with the hard drive corrupting characters.

Uploads
    Comments

Im a bit skeptical (about viruses exploding computers in general)
    Anyways, i do WONDER, why, really why are god orochi ultra dark chars so damm popular?
    I used to hang with a dude play kof, or Fighting Games in general, he would always pick the boss, he sucked and was a bad loser, and he has always loved overpowered characters in general media, i think he finds them awesome or badass or something, like a kid who admires ultraman or some cheap thing like the kung fu hustle movie to a serious degree (to me its very cringey and even uncomfortable to watch). Said friend was a bit immature in general terms and one of those chuunibyous kids

Hey, we all have our tastes i know, i prefer personality over power, even if its a weakling (think one punch man before becoming and his fight when he had hair vs a crab), but i know thats just me

I just find it very hard to comprehend why the OP thing is SO popular, and i also wonder if coding those longass specials is easy af or something

Uploads
    Comments

People enjoy different things I guess...
    If it was just for the balanced chars and the generic KoF fights I would have retired long ago from M.U.G.E.N as a whole.
    besides, most "cheapies" are private and work only on winmugen. So they don't clash with the precious 1.0 balance.
    and just for clarification, the malware production ended long ago...

Ages ago I was interested on Orochi & Donald' edits due to visual effects which are pretty nice for some of them

But I was confront to this paradox: when you succeed to have a rare cheap char by trading -which is the only way to have them for 1-10% of these cases, the rest being private -, you finish to be categorized as a warehouser... while many collectors were doing the same process as me -_-

that was the fact which make definitely me loose interest on it.

I hate how when I look up mugen on yt I mostly get videos having a poorly made undertale character fight homer or some other stupid character.

Quote Originally Posted by milbury View Post
    Back in the day before we had MUGEN Archive with its handy-dandy virus checker there were "characters" that would erase or corrupt your hard drive when unzipped.

Compared to those cheapies are nothing.
    This is honestly the first time I've heard of this. I feel lucky to have quit MUGEN in 2006 and come back a month ago because that's the most ******* thing I've ever read about the community. No wonder this site and AK1Mugen exist even though warehouses had such a bad name in the past.

Uploads
    Comments

ngl it's enjoyable to see cheap and broken characters on SaltyBet

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by milbury View Post
    Back in the day before we had MUGEN Archive with its handy-dandy virus checker there were "characters" that would erase or corrupt your hard drive when unzipped.

Compared to those cheapies are nothing.
    I feel victim to this TOO MANY DAMN TIMES MAN.