UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Until the site gets patched, downloads will be disabled for unregistered users

*UPDATE 2018*
    The site has finally an anti download accelerator system. Users using download accelerators will be automatically detected and temporarily banned from the download area, multiple violations will result in a permanent ban on the server level.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anti-dl-acc.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	3966

------

The logs show massive usage of download accelerators by unregistered users, in violation of our terms of service.

This activity is the reason why the site has been slow and was crashing regularly. The rate of pages successfully loading dropped under 50% recently, so we've enabled auto-ban of users using download managers, but in a few hours, hundreds of IP addresses got banned. This is very bad management and we need to prevent abuse rather than punish it, because let's face it, nobody's reading the terms of service, and we would end banning half of our visitors at this rate.

But this can only be fixed with a patch, which is beyond my level of access, so I can't tell when this will be done. Until then I'm afraid we have to disable downloads for unregistered users, to maintain the site stability.

Sorry but I see no alternative.

We also kindly ask our registered members to disable their download manager.
    Last edited by Dizzy; Aug 16, 2018 at 16:34. Reason: Update

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Until the site gets patched, downloads will be disabled for unregistered users

I'm sorry cause I'm still new to this but what is download manager?

Default Re: Until the site gets patched, downloads will be disabled for unregistered users

Quote Originally Posted by kmister View Post
    I'm sorry cause I'm still new to this but what is download manager?
    It's a programm that makes the downloads for you, they are mostly used for mass downloads etc.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

omg two day ago I uploaded my new stages and when I try to update the stage its would not let me redo the file or anything and then ALL THE SUDDEN ITS BEEN REMOVED with out no warning of any kind. I lost my file from the database, If these so call people keep over abusing the download Manager would be best to just put Lock on them stop from attacking are awesome favorite site.... I really don't like using media fire that mush but we need to do something to stop it and I just made two more sega saturn stages but I am so scared to upload the file again. I hope everything get fix soon

Uploads
    Comments

My opinion. A massive message to ALL users about it. Give them 1 week, and then enable the auto-ban.

New users should receive the message about it at the moment they register.

Everyone would be warned about it, so no one can say that "I didnt know".

Uploads
    Comments

It's pretty clear on registration.

http://i.imgur.com/soYvA5B.png

But you should never expect people on the internet to care. Probably most users aren't even aware they use a download accelerator. And at this rate we will ban half of our visitors and members, which is terrible management. There's no other way than patching the site.

Uploads
    Comments

Maybe one of the problems is similiar to the one of the community event a few weeks ago? The language barrier. Maybe many people don't even know about those rules because they have a minimal understanding of English so they just skip the message even if in bold red letters because they don't know what's written there? This place seems to gather quite the large sums of languages, brazilians, germans, italian, south african, japanese, malaysian and I could go on and on, it's not weird to think that that could be a reason.
    Also the average age of most users that register seems to be very low, I don't know the exact age of every user registered of course how could I know but just by looking at the community event thread or other threads similiar to that one and reading the posts of most Lurkers recently registered on the site it gives me the impression that you're dealing mostly with kids with the way they write and understand.
    Combine barely understanding English with a 13 years old and I can kinda picture a scenario like the one you talked very easily.
    Of course I'm not saying that all kids are stupid and clueless... I'm saying most of them are, there are one or two that I'm sure can run circles around me without problems and got everything about this site without problems but the average kid would struggle to undestand anything about the rules of this place, or any place mind you, have you ever tried making a kid understand the rules you told him to follow? It usually doesn't work.

Maybe an age and language survey could help getting a better idea? So you can see if the main chunk of the people that use this website is really of foreign languages and underage of if I just wrote an hyperbole so wrong to be worth to be told at a political congress?

...Man I write too much, synthesis is just a Pokémon move for me...

I don't even know what a download manager is

Uploads
    Comments

How to disable our downloads? And also when we disable them, can we still upload?

Uploads
    Comments

@Butterfly, trust me we have a good understanding of the average user around here.
    Comes, downloads some files and leaves. Simple as that.

To the others : a download manager is an addon you install on top of your regular browser, for example IDM (internet download manager) or flashget. These addons can be used to download all files in a page for example, or to accelerate the download of a particular file by creating multiple connections to it and merging the parts. These addons are not allowed here because if too many people use them it can slow down the site a lot and even crash it occasionally.

So don't worry about downloading if you haven't installed any addon and just use your regular unmodified browser.

I can only hope that this issue gets patched as soon as possible, so we can reenable downloads for unregistered users.

Modified download managers is something new to me. As for disabling or turning off your downloads you just go to internet options under the tools icon and select the security tab, then click custom scroll down till you see the downloads section, you will see the enable and disable buttons there. Usually I put mine on most of time on disable for security purposes to avoid adware on certain sites.
    Last edited by Venom Mobmaster5; Jun 13, 2016 at 21:53.

To be fair alot of people are not computer literate, or very familiar with computers in general. And many have difficulty navigating some parts of the site. Probably a auto-email, or a banner somewhere with simple to the point messages, would be most wide spread and make sure everyone knows. Strong arming, threats, and mass banning will only feed the competition and kill membership.
    Put some RESPEK on the name. Respekkett.

Uploads
    Comments

Greetings everybody! I just joined today, but I used to use this site all the time as a guest (and now I feel bad)... Now, I'm ready to get to know other Mugen fans and try to go by the rules. Feel free to help me out about the Mugen Archive anytime. I'm glad to be here.

Uploads
    Comments

Welcome, fell free to pm me anytime u may need something

Uploads
    Comments

ok!

Uploads
    Comments

It should be mandatory people register and post on the forum. Its great to have an active voice in the mugen community. Also share character ideas. Random downloaders slows the process. Ive been trying to post as much as i can and looking for characters thats not on this site to upload. not much yet. but ill still post on the forum.

Uploads
    Comments

When I first joined, I kinda forgot about the disabling download manager thing. The site doesn't really work well with the one I use anyway so I just stopped using it. The only problem is that about an eighth of all my regular downloads on this site fails, and sometimes with the same files (requiring several download attempts for one file). It's usually not a problem but it becomes tedious when I have to redownload a large file from scratch. Fortunately, I don't download larger files very often here.

Uploads
    Comments

I never actually had or used a download manager. I'm really only posting because I want to be more active on the forum.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by DrZaius View Post
    When I first joined, I kinda forgot about the disabling download manager thing. The site doesn't really work well with the one I use anyway so I just stopped using it. The only problem is that about an eighth of all my regular downloads on this site fails, and sometimes with the same files (requiring several download attempts for one file). It's usually not a problem but it becomes tedious when I have to redownload a large file from scratch. Fortunately, I don't download larger files very often here.
    Download managers to blame. They steal download slots from other users.
    It's a real problem :/

Uploads
    Comments

ok administradora. administradora te puedo preguntarte algo por favor. donde se puede pedir los chars