UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Question Does a proper Character Small Icon/Portrait Tutorial exist anywhere?

I've been looking for a tutorial for a long time now on how to create a proper Small Portrait (9000,0) for characters starting from its raw image, but in all my searches all I've been able to find were tutorials for big portraits (9000,1), or if said tuts even decide to touch on 9000,0 it's either the steps are all over the place that it's hard to understand or it's made by some Spanish guy.

Does anybody know where I can find a proper tutorial to create portraits of this quality?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yee.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	4260

Or, if you're feeling generous, maybe you can share your own methods in creating one? Thanks!

mulambo is offline user banned for repeated defamation, spreading plain lies with clear intent to damage people's reputation and/or ruin people's motivation Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Does a proper Character Small Icon/Portrait Tutorial exist anywhere?

directly copy-pasted from another forum:
    q: why does my small portrait look like a fugly piece of doo doo stain ?

a: SFFv1 requires small portraits ( 9000,0 ) to share colors with the characters palette. as contradicting as this will sound, do not check the box ""shared palette"" when you add it in or it can persist.

q: what about SFFv2 ? does this nonsense sustain ?

a: no. anything can be used as a small portrait for SFFv2 but seeing the portrait change colors every with every palette is relinquished even if it's shared palette.

q: making shared palette small portraits is a pain in the ***. are there alternatives ?

a1: crop a sprite to 25x25 and use that.
    a2: request someone to do it for you. supply the full size portrait and one of your characters sprites in .PNG format so they'll know what colors to use and what index to apply.
    a3: optimize the individual palette and add it to your characters palette. this tends to use a lot of the index and overall for a very tiny purpose literally and figuratively so this is for if all else fails.
    suggestion : add " -youtube " to your next google searches. it will skip the youtube results.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Does a proper Character Small Icon/Portrait Tutorial exist anywhere?

There is one method thats give much work using PS (or Paint, that is even harder) and coloring the small port with same character color pallete. You have to known the tools of the program to do that.

And another, that not work 100% of the time is:

Open FF, Choose Palette, Save Sm.Port as BMP, open palette editor (make sure its the palette you want), insert sm.port, click add, save it, then change the sm.port with this one, then save SFF... If a little confusing, I can do it for you, if you'd like. - Copied this part from a guy in mugewn< > forum.

Uploads
    Comments

Here's one I made in response with a video near the end

https://mugenarchive.com/forums/show...293#post104293