UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Grin Tutorial: How to do preview the stages when selecting a stage.

Note: This tutorial is only for M.U.G.E.N. 1.1. This tutorial will not work with any other version of M.U.G.E.N.

Are you trying to figure out how to preview the stages on the character select screen but, came up with no luck? Are you trying to find a good tutorial that shows you how to do it but, you think those tutorials are not good for you? If so, this tutorial is for you.

What programs you need besides M.U.G.E.N.:

All you need are the following two programs:

A photo editing program (I used MS Paint and GimpShop. Most (If not all) tutorials state that you need Photoshop but, Photoshop is not necessary.)

Fighter Factory 3.

1.Go to MUGEN, go to Versus mode, and select any characters.

2. On the fight screen, move both characters to their back of the screen as possible. It is best to move both of them at the same time.

3. Press Ctrl + L to disable the lifebars.

4. Hold Ctrl + Alt. While holding, press both 1 and 2 at the same time to disable the characters. If you happended to press either 1 or 2 before the other, you might mess up and you have to start all over again, so try your best to press both 1 and 2 at the very same time.

5. Press F12 to take a snapshot of your stage.

6. For every other stage you have, repeat steps 2 to 5.

7. Close MUGEN.

8. Open your photo editing program. The photo editing program can be MS Paint, GimpShop, Photoshop, or any other photo editing program on your PC. Contray to the other tutorials, you do not need Photoshop to get good results. You can use any program that allows you to edit photos.

9. Place a snapshot into your canvas and save it as either a .png or .bmp file. Repeat for all other snapshots.
    Recommend: Create a border for each of your stage images, especially marked with the phrase "stage select" or anything similar. Also, place the names of each stage.

10. Close you photo editor and open Fighter Factory 3.

11. Create a new bitmap font. If you do not know how to create a font, go to the docs folder in your MUGEN folder and click on fonts and it will give you an example of fonts to create. It also provides a sprite map for each number, letter, and symbol.

12. For the sprites, add all of the sprites that you have done for the stages in the photo editing program. Please note that all font sprites always use Group 0. Place each sprite in the respective indexes. For example, sprites that represent capital A are in index 65. Please refer to docs/font for more information.

13. After you do all of that, save the sprite file. Also, make sure you have saved the font .def file as well and close Fighter Factory 3.

14. Go to each .def file in the stages folder and in each .def file, rename the stage to the number, letter, or symbol that you plan to map the stage to.

The .def file that represent the stages.

Type the following information for your stage .def
    Type = bitmap
    Size = (Width of sprites), 20
    Spacing = -(Width of sprites), 1
    Offset = 0, 1
    File = (.sff file that represents the sprites)

For the size, use the width of the preview as your x value.
    For the spacing, use the same number as in the size but make the number a negative number.

Note: When saving the stage images on the photo editor, save it under the stage's name with the letter that you intend to map it to in (). This way, it will be a lot easier when it is time to rename the stages.

When renaming each stage in their .def file, check and see if the stage has a displayname value. If so, delete the displayname value completely including the "displayname" phrase. Only use the name value when renaming your stages. Make sure you quote each value or it would not work. Also make sure that you do not use the letter "R" to represent a stage. "R" can only be used to represent the option to select a random stage.

If you have any questions or information that I missed, please post them here and I will respond.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Tutorial: How to do preview the stages when selecting a stage.

maybe ill do this if i wasnt so lazy about doing that to my 50 stages

Uploads
    Comments

Lol i got about 200 stages or more...
    The tutorial is good and useful, but i preffer to spend my time editing and creating chars.
    I bet someday someone will release a mugen full of stages with this trick ...or at least i wish it happen someday, someway.

Uploads
    Comments

More Info:

In addition to letters, in which both lowercase and uppercase letters can be used, numbers and symbols can also be used. All letters are also case-sensitive, meaning that a uppercase form of a letter is not the same as the lowercase form of it. They are treated differently, so you can use the uppercase of one letter to represent one stage while you can use the lowercase of the same letter to represent another stage.

Regarding "R":
    The uppercase "R" can only be used to represent the choice to select a random stage as mentioned above. However, lowercase "r", like all of the other letters, numbers, and symbols, can be used to represent any stage.

Uploads
    Comments

thanks for tutorial.
    I learned disable lifebars

Uploads
    Comments

Thanks, you helped, Just hope theres a way to fix up something. I've got the font to work, now my issue is positioning. I hate how you can't remove the "Stage #" from the stage select, since it screws with my positioning. Just to let you know, I also want a box with RANDOM, but because how the stage has no number, it's positioning is off from the rest. I can simply move the sprite. I can use spacing to make every other letter not visible. Now my only issue is the (a)(n)(d)(o)(m)part of random, since it appears, and way too close to my next fonts. I can keep playing around with spacing and such, but it'll take a long while. any tips to help?

Uploads
    Comments

Nesse video o cara faz com Winmugen, porem o processo é praticamente igual no 1.0 ou 1.1, espero que ajude.

Uploads
    Comments

Quite useful! I am thinking about writing a script to deal with too many stages.

Uploads
    Comments

I think what you say to add Type:Bitmap etc is in the Font's Def itself (this I base on working screenpack font also 720p)

Currently using 0,32 onward for images, so that should be space " " by the ASCII table? Ok 32 is not space or not the usual space, better skip the (null) (sp) from the ascii table.

;Stages
    stage.pos = 640, 720
    stage.active.font = 2, 0, 0
    stage.active2.font = 2, 0, 0
    stage.done.font = 2, 0, 0

At first the font did not show up now I see why

[FNT v2]
    Name = "My Stages Selection"
    FntVersion = 2,00

[Def]
    BankType = sprite
    Type = bitmap
    File = MyStagesSelection.sff
    Offset = 0, 0
    Size = 0, 720 ;1280, 720 never go such high number that was the problem
    Spacing = 0, 0

Some images may appear offset that you need to adjust them on the SFF, some may be enough 0,0 X,Y to display entirely, others show the neighboring glyph so you may want to set it up in the SFF, so some sprites you will have 0,0 others like x = 640 to show the desired one.
    Last edited by MKImpc7r; 15th February 2019 at 00:52.

Uploads
    Comments

Help me Please

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by zueroisagod11 View Post
    Help me Please
    What seems to be thy issue?

Uploads
    Comments

I'm having a problem where getting it to work was okay, but the preview image flashes red instead of displaying properly. The image is just redtone and flashing

Uploads
    Comments

Edit: figured everything out except how to get random to work

Uploads
    Comments

would you like to add more than 200 stages this would be possible?
    Last edited by jefinhoyagami; 8th May 2020 at 12:17.

Uploads
    Comments

only 126 stage images can be made into fonts, sadly, unless there's a clever way to bypass that like, maybe you can make double for them if you use Overlay 1 to some parts or something creative like that

Uploads
    Comments

^ im not even sure they are as many as 100, I tried some characters that are not alphanumeric or symbols not sure, didnt show to me.