UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Poll: Do you prefer animated character thumbnails ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Beware Do you prefer animated character thumbnails ?

Please take the time to read and answer this carefully as it could impact significantly the future of the site.
    In the download area, do you want the character thumbnails to be animated or not?

This

or this

Which do you prefer?

Would it be too aggressive for the eyes to have so many animations in the download area?
    Are you worried about the loading speed?
    Please let us know how you want the site to be.

Default Re: Do you prefer animated character thumbnails ?

I prefer them to be animated so I know what I can expect from certain characters,
    especially original ones or those unknown to me.

The downside is that it would make the pages heavier to load.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

It seems really sily to not animate thumbnails. I was about to suggest it but I didn't have the time to once.

Uploads
    Comments

"If those emoji's can do it, so can we!" - unused winquote841

I Guess we could sooner judge how choppy the animations are; A chance to attracts a few more "would-be" members, invite more constructive criticism and buff up the overall flare of the site are like added bonuses.

However, I fear that load complications linked to this will see it removed as soon as it hits the table. Some mugen players are graphic bound to low-rez, how will this effect them? how will they respond?

I don't minded, just as long as the site is healthy.

Uploads
    Comments

I think animated thumbnails would be best but I understand if some people would think it would heavy pages especially for high resolution characters... so why don't make it a setting?
    You could have the thumbnails animated but allow to disable them to the people who don't want them with an option on the settings menu, you could also make it that animated thumbnails are a registered member only feature if you set it like this.
    Just my two cents, in any case the animated ones are cooler and I think should be implemented.

Uploads
    Comments

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by hegalica View Post
    The downside is that it would make the pages heavier to load.
    That would certainly make pages longer to load for people having a slow connection, and that would also impact the overall download speed of the site, although these effects could be limited by decreasing the number of characters displayed per page.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg821 View Post
    and buff up the overall flare of the site are like added bonuses.
    Actually this is what is worrying most, more than loading time, I wondered if it wouldn't make the site too flashy and aggressive for members eyes, but so far most of you seem to prefer animated thumbnails.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    why don't make it a setting?
    I wish I could but our system does not have such an option currently and it would require the code to be entirely rewritten. All I can do is select one of the image engines available.

After looking it up it seems several browsers have addons to implement such an option though.
    chrome : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...afepibbboobalb
    firefox : https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/a...animated-gifs/

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    That would certainly make pages longer to load for people having a slow connection, and that would also impact the overall download speed of the site, although these effects could be limited by decreasing the number of characters displayed per page.
    That's unfortunate, honestly I would say that the download speed is the most important factor to consider, while M.U.G.E.N. characters aren't too big compared to other things screenpacks or high resolution characters can still pack a considerable size that could be a problem in countries where internet isn't that great, not that I live in one of those countries but still with the popularity of M.U.G.E.N. and the many people who download things here is something to keep in mind.

Actually this is what is worrying most, more than loading time, I wondered if it wouldn't make the site too flashy and aggressive for members eyes...
    You should worry of the opposite actually.
    A more unique graphical style and features could only make more people consider registering, as of now graphically this place is all but unique, is around 90% base forum template, unlike the services that offers which are unique and impressive but the cover doesn't sell it.
    I hope I don't sound too harsh because honestly I'm not trying to be I'm just giving an opinion.

I have to agree on the style, it's mostly look like the forum standard layout.
    Some style to look unique may attract more visitors :)

Uploads
    Comments

That's unfortunate, honestly I would say that the download speed is the most important factor to consider, while M.U.G.E.N. characters aren't too big compared to other things screenpacks or high resolution characters can still pack a considerable size that could be a problem in countries where internet isn't that great, not that I live in one of those countries but still with the popularity of M.U.G.E.N. and the many people who download things here is something to keep in mind.
    It's difficult to evaluate the impact on the speed at this point. There are so many factors that we can only speculate. So, yes, maybe I need to think this through and figure out a way to anticipate the consequences.

You should worry of the opposite actually.
    A more unique graphical style and features could only make more people consider registering, as of now graphically this place is all but unique, is around 90% base forum template, unlike the services that offers which are unique and impressive but the cover doesn't sell it.
    I hope I don't sound too harsh because honestly I'm not trying to be I'm just giving an opinion.
    I would be a very bad person if I was mad at your feedback after asking for it. Your feedback and criticism are more than welcome. If you have particular styles to suggest please let me know, I can add some of course. I've never been into styles myself which is why I've never really looked into it.

Uploads
    Comments

It's difficult to evaluate the impact on the speed at this point. There are so many factors that we can only speculate. So, yes, maybe I need to think this through and figure out a way to anticipate the consequences.

I would be a very bad person if I was mad at your feedback after asking for it. Your feedback and criticism are more than welcome. If you have particular styles to suggest please let me know, I can add some of course. I've never been into styles myself which is why I've never really looked into it.
    I know but the internet is full of stupid idiots who will ask for your head if you try to give an opinion that is not 100% the same as theirs, you never know.
    A good default style would one that fits well with the logo up there, it's of similiar colors to the base layout so it shouldn't be a bad point to start, speaking of the logo I don't know if it's only on my screen but it barely fits the header, it stays in the center and leaves so much space around it, maybe a bigger picture would be better.

Uploads
    Comments

Animated is the way to go.
    We all have decent speeds now so no real reason not too.
    And if it causes problems you can always just go back and say it just didn't work so back to the old way..no harm no foul.

Uploads
    Comments

i prefer animated tbh
    Why?because it's more cool than a stagnant one..
    as for the speed, i believe everyone has a decent internet connection

Uploads
    Comments

Although animated thumbnails load more slowly for not-so-fast internet speed users (including me ), I'd like animated. It shows a better preview of the character, imho, at least of the character stance animation. Moreover, I don't mind waiting a little longer for them to load completely. But I'm not sure what other people would think if their internet speed can't load up animated thumbnails fast.

Speaking of thumbnails gives me the idea that the download pages and categories are going to see some big change in the future. Imo, one possible way to make both fast and low internet speed users contend, is to use non-animated thumbnails and add a preview option under the character. If the thumbnails are going to redirect to a download page with full info of the character (like current download pages) where animated image of the character is available, there won't be any need for preview options and non-animated thumbnails can be used while clicking on them to download will redirect to download page.

As for overall flashiness of site, I personally won't mind it.

Uploads
    Comments

It seems like animated is overwhelmingly the most popular option.
    Now we'll have to figure out a way to prevent spiders and robots from draining too much bandwidth.

Uploads
    Comments

I would like the characters to be animated, but if it would make it lag, then I wouldn't mind it without animation.

i really like this idea, the only problem is that the page would be a little heavy for some users, but it really would be a good change, i dont mind if they dont have animation, but im gonna say yes to animated previews.

Uploads
    Comments

Animated. Easier to tell how it will fit with the rest of your fighters.

Uploads
    Comments

I feel like I recall a character or two with an idle stance that was basically just... two frames going back n' forth. I suppose animated character thumbnails don't really mean anything regarding the character itself though. Someone could upload a really bad Ryu and just pick a gif off the net, couldn't they?

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by XelSlime View Post
    I feel like I recall a character or two with an idle stance that was basically just... two frames going back n' forth. I suppose animated character thumbnails don't really mean anything regarding the character itself though. Someone could upload a really bad Ryu and just pick a gif off the net, couldn't they?
    The site will generate these animated thumbnails automatically. But you can still add or delete any picture to your files.

Uploads
    Comments

I like the animated versions, give a little more depth.