UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Question Character Creation: First Steps?

Hello all,

I have been very interested lately in learning how to create my own characters; there are just too many I would love to see in the game that I can't find anywhere.

I was wondering, what is the best starting point for learning to make characters? What tips and recommendations would you have?

I know absolutely NOTHING about it, but I am willing to learn it all.

Thank you.

Mr.Giang is offline User banned for repeated bashing despite multiple warnings Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Character Creation: First Steps?

First, don't create your characters. You can't run if you can't walk first. Learn everything about states, controllers, cmd, var, sprite, anim. That's all the basic you need. After that, find a character you like, store them in your MUGEN roster and have fun with them. While playing with your roster, see that underpowered character overthere? Good, buff it but instead of giving them stat-change, try to replicate some moves from other characters by copying/pasting and editing their stateno. By doing so a lot, you can set a foundation and get some ideas of how to make a character.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Giang View Post
    First, don't create your characters. You can't run if you can't walk first. Learn everything about states, controllers, cmd, var, sprite, anim. That's all the basic you need. After that, find a character you like, store them in your MUGEN roster and have fun with them. While playing with your roster, see that underpowered character overthere? Good, buff it but instead of giving them stat-change, try to replicate some moves from other characters by copying/pasting and editing their stateno. By doing so a lot, you can set a foundation and get some ideas of how to make a character.
    This is actually really good advice. Where would you suggest I start with states, var, sprites, etc.? Is there a section on here that's good to learn from for these topics, or will it require some internet digging? (Can you tell I'm new to it all?)

Mr.Giang is offline User banned for repeated bashing despite multiple warnings Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Crypticism88 View Post
    This is actually really good advice. Where would you suggest I start with states, var, sprites, etc.? Is there a section on here that's good to learn from for these topics, or will it require some internet digging? (Can you tell I'm new to it all?)
    You can start with any characters you like first (as long as they are not from Japanese/Chinese MUGEN creators, they are weird and noob-unfriendly, even I have trouble understanding a lot of their works and their notes aren't that helpful) but I suggest you start with any of my characters as case studies (they are all open source and very easy to understand). And as far as I know, it isn't very hard to google tutorials and documents about MUGEN so just dig in and you will find what you need.
    And as much as I love Mugenarchive, their MUGEN developement section isn't their strong point. I suggest you joining Mugen< > forums as they are very helpful about MUGEN technical questions and they have a lot of useful toturials there.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Giang View Post
    You can start with any characters you like first (as long as they are not from Japanese/Chinese MUGEN creators, they are weird and noob-unfriendly, even I have trouble understanding a lot of their works and their notes aren't that helpful) but I suggest you start with any of my characters as case studies (they are all open source and very easy to understand). And as far as I know, it isn't very hard to google tutorials and documents about MUGEN so just dig in and you will find what you need.
    And as much as I love Mugenarchive, their MUGEN developement section isn't their strong point. I suggest you joining Mugen< > forums as they are very helpful about MUGEN technical questions and they have a lot of useful toturials there.
    I really appreciate the time you've taken to explain all that. I think I'll start studying one of your characters and go from there. Thanks for the help!

Uploads
    Comments

most of the time I make that mistake but now I understand what to keep in mind thanks pal