UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default How Do You Decide Your Roster?

I'm working on remodeling a mugen project I fell in love with. However, it is really graphically heavy. So, I decided to stick to a smaller roaster. A small roaster also fits with the theme of the screenpack. With so many chooses to add to the roaster, I find it hard to choose who makes the cut. How do you go about picking your roaster, if you do at all?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: How Do You Decide Your Roster?

I usually pick my favorite fighting game characters, usually the best version if possible since there are many same character created by different Mugen creators. In year 2008 and 2009, I had a Mugen roster which I added most of my favorite characters in it. Some of the characters are easy to pick the best version like choosing in between Real Bout Fatal Fury 2/Special's Terry Bogard created by Ironmugen (Old and new version), mouser's version and tora's version. It is obvious that Mouser and tora's version are the best, but from these two, I am not sure which is the best, so I just add those two in. For King of Fighters' Andy Bogard, I picked those that have Ex mode whose projectile can travel across the screen, so it will be Telie, Scal and Ikaruga's versions.

For now, I have only picked characters that are all created by same/different Mugen creators if they all played the same game mechanics from their original games like Tora and Abuhachi have created all Real Bout Fatal Fury 2's characters, Warusaki3, Gal129 and Rei have created all Capcom vs. SNK 2's Street Fighter characters and I added them together to let them fight each other. I have also add in a few other characters like Terry Bogard by GM, all Capcom vs. SNK 2's Fatal Fury characters who are in Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 only and four Street Fighter 3's characters that are within the Capcom vs. SNK 2's Street Fighter characters who are Chun-Li by Muteki, Ryu, Ken and Gouki by GM. As for same character who are created by different character for this one, I would picked characters that have AI like choosing between Guile by Warusaki3 and Guile by Rei, I would picked Guile by Rei. For Zangief, both Warusaki3 and Rei have got AI, so I picked Rei's version because Warusaki3's has got Rainbow Mika coming out in one of his Super move which makes the game looked odd.
    Last edited by tehdevil; 28th August 2018 at 12:11.

When I see a character I like I download

Uploads
    Comments

My roster never was really decided, it was changed all the time and lots of chars were erased from the folder.

Uploads
    Comments

I choose characters through many different means. First off what kind of game do you want? I tend to want unbalanced games. There always has to be some S tier character and an F tier character. Why do I like that? For entertainment value and playing with friends. We don't give a shit about balance we just want a good time and memes. Obviously if a character is too broken it ruins the game so make sure they're beatable. You could also desire a balanced game. A more competitive side to play around with. For that look at a single character. Who made that character? What style are they? From there download other characters made by the same author or in the same style. If it's a private Mugen for your own doing add the characters you adore while adding some cool looking ones you may have never seen. Go into different franchises of the same publisher and see what those characters are like in Mugen. As a Sega fan I found many new franchises like Eternal Champions and Guardian Heroes.

Do you want your game to make sense? Mugen has a quite diversive cast from TV shows to Video Games to the man, the legend, Shaquille O'Neal. Make sure your roster blends well or organized so it makes sense, that is if you care about it making sense.

Don't just focus on characters also. What kind of stages are available and how can they affect gameplay? I know one stage that was the Court Room from Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. It was very crowded and opted for new strategies. There was also a very large stage I remember as "Bronx" that had an incredible zoom out distance and as a result more open space.

I myself have multiple different Mugens and rosters. Two of them are Marvel vs Capcom themed Mugens (not necessarily gameplay wise.) Another is exclusively for Sega characters. As I've said before I'm a Sega fan and having all these Sega characters, especially the obscure ones, in one game is pretty cool. I have two Mugens where I just put random characters in and try them out. I have three Mugens for super brutal AI characters. One is for the best of the best, the second a tier under, and another for an author's (Netyzh) AI patches.

I have the most fond memories of my Marvel vs Capcom Mugens and playing with friends during high school so I love those the most. I added joke characters like Shrek, Wreck-It Ralph, and Pepsiman and yeah we had a fun time. The perfect roster is not entirely about having the highest rated character on the entire internet. It's about whether you will find enjoyment from the game (or "compilation") you have forged together. Mugen is awesome when played with friends and even family. If they request a meme character go ahead and put them in and have a laugh. If they request a competitive/balanced game it'll be harder, but try your best to make one.

If you must need a character suggestion, start out with a basic character like Ryu. Then grow off that and find a character with a different gameplay style. While very S tier and a meme character, Pepsiman has a very unique gameplay style, having great damage output but needing to dodge all the obstacles that come out to be effective. Maybe there's a character that can change in two different modes, or if you need something basic get a "strong but totally makes up in power" and a "weak but lightning speed" character.
    Last edited by Um cool; 29th August 2018 at 12:19.

Uploads
    Comments

My roster is mainly composed of Capcom and SNK Characters with some Mahvel and DC thrown into the mix. A good AI is a must for me, though I've had characters from since I've started playing back in 09. Stages are varied but a lot of them are edits from Mortal Kombat. Like I said, I've been collecting and hoarding stuff for almost a decade. Music, only metal and metal versions of video game music.
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic17078_24.gif
    死に直面する準備をする.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/xWagnerPlaguesx

Uploads
    Comments

I for one am pretty selective as to what characters go on my "main" roster as I am trying to avoid getting my game bloated with hundreds of characters. I try to aim for a balanced roster, one in which the chars have fairly strong AI's and more or less have a chance at winning against others, and not too powerful either. Aside from the occasional cheap joke char thrown in for sh*ts and giggles. What fun is it if there's that one or two chars that always mop the floor with everyone else?

Diversity is the other main thing i focus on; as a general rule I add 3-6 of my favorite characters from each series/franchise, depending on how many are available (Million KNight Vermillion has like 3 playable characters lol). Naturally there will be characters that get swapped out for more favorable ones. My roster is changing and evolving as I hunt for characters that have unique styles or bring a fresh new aspect of gameplay to my mugen.

Uploads
    Comments

I always have a tough time with this as well. At first I tend to search for whatever characters I find awesome. (I love watching the most random mashups of characters duke it out.)

However, from this process I eventually end up finding a particular group of characters i would like to see together. Currently, I am trying to assemble a roster of my favorite Anime characters, as well as a small separate roster of randoms.

It can be so hard to choose when the possibilities of MUGEN are pretty much limitless.

I just download whatever I like the looks of, for the most part. Since I come from the days when "bashing" bad characters was a thing (not sure if it still is, but I'd be surprised), I always liked to have all of the really stupid and poorly made characters in my roster, so they end up taking most of the space. However, I also have a ton of "good" characters that I liked and decided to add into there.

So, in short, my roster is a mess of MUGEN content that probably takes up way too much disk space. But, I still love it.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Worm View Post
    I just download whatever I like the looks of, for the most part. Since I come from the days when "bashing" bad characters was a thing (not sure if it still is, but I'd be surprised), I always liked to have all of the really stupid and poorly made characters in my roster, so they end up taking most of the space. However, I also have a ton of "good" characters that I liked and decided to add into there.

So, in short, my roster is a mess of MUGEN content that probably takes up way too much disk space. But, I still love it.
    I can definitely understand that as well. The immense amount of characters available makes it pretty interesting to just have an overall massive roster of random characters.

Uploads
    Comments

Hello.

Initially, my goal was to have characters that I like in MUGEN (know about Rick Taylor?).
    Slowly, my mind changed to build an uniform roster (with similar characters).
    When I was really engaged with MUGEN, I came to know more about fighting games and its franchises... The goal was now related characters.
    Then MUGEN 1.0 was released. Compatible characters...
    After some years of playing MUGEN, AI was not challenging anymore. Proceeded to "smart" characters.
    And today, I basically stopped expanding my roster. Though, when in presence of quality content, I become tempted to add it...

— Thanks

It Starts with Cody, Guy, Ken, Ryu, Schlussel and Van Damme ALWAYS.
    Than i add Chars into something like little Groups, for an Example (26 Chars):
    "5 Capcom", "5 SNK", "3 Boss Chars (any Universe)" + "1 MK Char".
    The Rest is pure Sympathy: When knowing Kora here i fell in love with Blue Mary, One of my best Friends
    is with Morrigan, my Nephew loves Luffy from that pirate series, forgotten Dug xD + sometimes i find chars you guys edit and so i adopt them.
    And if i am in a really kind mood i would even add T.Hawk...even if i will regret adding him a few seconds later.

Same Way i work with Stages and BMG, well, you Guys are doing a good Job here doing something against my boredom ;)
    "Take from me all that's untrue
    I commend my spirit too
    It's here sudden like
    Here I am third strike"

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Mario and Luigi then go all out

Uploads
    Comments

i base my roster off of characters i find fun to play, or just funny in general

Uploads
    Comments

i decide on how much i like a character and how well they work with the already existing members of my roster

Uploads
    Comments

Usually think of two bad *** characters from different games and just imagine who would win like having Ryu vs Jin Kazama and then thinking I wonder if we had a series battle which series would win the most. Usually \get like 10 characters at a time.

Uploads
    Comments

I kind of go with whatever I want, although I normally try to get them as close to the "classic" Capcom or SNK style as possible (so usually it ends up being CVS or MVC). I also like ones with AI already in, since it lets me do watch modes more entertainingly.

Uploads
    Comments

I usually choose characters of a similar artstyle. It feels jarring to have characters with hugely different artstyles to me.

Uploads
    Comments

visual appearance or fav chars.

Uploads
    Comments

i think that i decide ultimately by the scale of the characters. unless it is due to age or some other thing that makes sense for the specific character, i like to get characters that are all the same scale so my game will look uniform.