UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default What do you hate in scrolling beat-em-ups?

I'll get the ball rolling with scrolling beat-em-ups in which the enemies have stacks of energy and you don't have any way of removing it in a hurry. The scrolling beat-em-ups I've noticed which are guilty of this are Final Fight 2 and the international version of Streets of Rage 3. Perfectly playable games, but the under-powered heroes (Haggar's pile-driver in FF2 is next to useless) mean they have pretty slow pacing. In the second section of SOR3's City Hall final level just about every enemy character has multiple lives. And it's not as if there's a boss run - they're just average thugs.

Also, I might add I hate ploughing through lots of levels only to come across some stupid section with a strict time limit which must be completed otherwise the game will suddenly end no matter how many lives and continues you have.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: What do you hate in scrolling beat-em-ups?

When in a scrolling beat-em-up the two players co-op mode usually does not give twice the amount of continues the one player mode gives, because when the game is stingy with the amount of continues it gives in two players co-op mode it results in those scrolling beat-em-ups indirectly punishing the more skilled player for the mistakes made by the less skilled player when they play 2 players co-op mode.

Uploads
    Comments

Like Alien Storm on the Megadrive/Genesis. In 2-player mode there was one continue between both players.

Another thing I hate are bosses who take forever to deal with, whether it's because they've stacks of energy or because they're just cheap. Long-winded bosses just slow the pacing of the game down and become tedious rather than challenging.

mulambo is offline user banned for repeated defamation, spreading plain lies with clear intent to damage people's reputation and/or ruin people's motivation Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

the fact the player can't guard, but some enemies can (like the giant dudes in Double Dragon)
    the fact some enemies can escape the combo (like most bosses)
    some enemies being too much agile (like the kung fu dude in Crime Fighters)
    the power-up icons being always something like meat (sometimes a salad, though)
    overpowered sub-bosses (like Andorre) and bosses (like Sodom)
    sometimes the game being too long (like Captain Commando... too many stages)
    the last stages reviving all the bosses of the game, expanding the difficulty to 250%

but, as regards indie beat'em'ups the thing I hate the most is including chars with with no graphic uniformity. this always happens when the creator strives to satisfy as many people as possible... and that's just coward, no matter how it pretends to be democratic. You can make a game with just squares beating each other, but give them no uniformity in style and it will have 0 quality to me.
    Last edited by mulambo; 14th August 2018 at 13:57.

Uploads
    Comments

I agree about the lack of uniformity in some games. I've nothing against variety, but the enemies should be from games of a similar graphic style. For example, one game I played had enemies from 1990s games but also several types from some game that looked as if it was made about ten years earlier and they just looked ridiculous alongside the more graphically sophisticated ones. It's like putting old ZX Spectrum beat-em-up sprites in a Megadrive Streets of Rage game.

Uploads
    Comments

I hate how I never know what the hell I'm doing. Every beat em up game beats me up more than "em."

Uploads
    Comments

Not alot of them have running. so you're forced to be slow. i dislike that. I need the running.
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic17078_24.gif
    死に直面する準備をする.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/xWagnerPlaguesx

Uploads
    Comments

For whatever reason sometimes the putties hit me too much, those four had killed me more times than they should have.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...nd-color=black

Uploads
    Comments

Hmmm what is there to hate....let's just move forward on the screen and beat up guys! But speaking of what's to hate just a thought because actually I've been patiently waiting for some hint of seeing in Mugen, stages that allow you to hit characters into different stages like through the wall or ground or roof like in some of the earlier 2D beat-em up games like X-men vs Street Fighter (if i'm not mistaken can't really remember which exact game titles) etc. Like I hate how that hasn't been done yet, how cool would it be to have that in Mugen. That's when you really whip ***, when you're comboing (yes comboing it's my own word) guys through stages!!! Take that through the #@!#$ ground and through the @#[email protected]! roof and K.O!!!

Uploads
    Comments

Fan-made games that don't have special moves. Like SF Vs KOF (a game which makes eating soup with a fork look easy and probably takes longer. Not only is there no special move, but despite being able to assign keys for various moves there are actually only a few basic standard moves. The endless waves of identical enemies probably don't help).

Uploads
    Comments

I might add bosses who can't be grabbed. I can understand if they're massive or heavy or an electric robot or something, but Rolento from Final Fight? He was smaller than most of the regular enemies.

Uploads
    Comments

I dunno who would throw out a perfectly edible (by the looks of it) piece of meat or A FREAKING BAG OF MONEY.

mulambo is offline user banned for repeated defamation, spreading plain lies with clear intent to damage people's reputation and/or ruin people's motivation Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by A KK HELL Original View Post
    I dunno who would throw out a perfectly edible (by the looks of it) piece of meat or A FREAKING BAG OF MONEY.
    lol, that's true. sometimes they're perfectly served meals on splendid plates, or cup of coffees... clochard's paradise!

Uploads
    Comments

Not to mention gold bars and bags of cash lying about. A think a lot of people would tell their bosses to stick their jobs and move to Metro City or Wood Oak or wherever.

Uploads
    Comments

Players with basically no moves and enemies with lots of health makes for a really boring game. There's some really bad arcade beatem ups where the enemies are basically as good as the player from the beginning. There's plenty of better ways to bang on one button for 3 hours.

Overpowered bosses. You know the ones that run circles around you, knocking you down constantly whilst biting off big chunks of your life bar with each hit.
    And it get's even worse when they have mooks jumping in to get in your way.
    Last edited by Proud of Ragequittin; 15th April 2019 at 05:23. Reason: fixed grammer goof

Uploads
    Comments

1 punching bag bosses
    2 cheap 2d tactic of walk to your back to hit you while you are beating up another immobilized by the combo animation
    3 stack together so that 1 guys takes hit and the other hit you while you are in animation
    4 sore thumbs

Uploads
    Comments

Games with far too many waves of enemies. Like Final Fight DC, which is a good game but which I think would be a much better game if there weren't so many people in every level.

Uploads
    Comments

For me and I'm sure a lot of people have witnessed this before playing any kind of beat-em-ups Is when your enemies move up and down next you causing you to miss-hits and they take cheaps shots at you. It's worse in areas where they're more than three enemies and all you can do is hope your in the same line as they are to attack them. The Streets of rage series, Scott Pilgram vs the world, River City Girls comes to mind.