UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Sound

Uploads
    Comments

Sad Help with Sound

While I was making my mugen game, I tried to add music for my title and select screen. But I didn't know how. I checked the tutorials and they were talking a lot about using a snd folder which I don't understand. Do I use the sound folder for stage sound or for both? Does anyone know the difference?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Help with Sound

Hello.

It seems to me You mixed BGM with SFX. BGM refers to the musics, while SFX refers to effects and sounds (when You move the cursor, for example).
    If You want to add a BGM for a determinated screen of MUGEN, the system.def file (of the currently used motif) must be edited accordingly (the file contains the instructions of how to do it).
    You may use any folder (inside of MUGEN) to place the musics, just specify their path in the aforementioned file.

Now, if SFX is what You want to add, the system.snd / fight.snd / common.snd (of the used motif) file must be edited... Preferably with the aid of Fighter Factory. After, the system.def / fight.def should properly be changed (for example, "cursor.move.snd = 100,1").

It might be helpful checking this thread and this one.

This all may be confusing at first but, I learned by trial and error. Do not be shy to ask, however.
    Last edited by Helel; 2nd August 2018 at 20:59. Reason: Additional info, Grammar

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

I have already tried that. You see, I added the song in the mugen sound folder, then I assigned that to the system.def with the destination of the folder being said (title.bgm = sound/ my song). When I try it out, it still doesn't work. The only time it works is while I'm in a stage. That one is more simple. Is their any other way I could do this?

Uploads
    Comments

That empty space before "my song" looks weird. I would assume the system reading it as " my song" and not matching the file's name.

Can you provide the line?

Uploads
    Comments

Wait, are you talking about the slash after sound?

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Abline7 View Post
    [...] I added the song in the mugen sound folder, then I assigned that to the system.def with the destination of the folder being said (title.bgm = sound/ my song). When I try it out, it still doesn't work. The only time it works is while I'm in a stage. [...]
    @Abline7, is there, by any chance, a screenpack that You used / use in Your MUGEN? Inside the /data folder there may be several system.def files.
    That could explain why it works with stages (assuming You used exactly the same path and file), but not in MUGEN screens.
    Also, which version of MUGEN are You running?
    Last edited by Helel; 3rd August 2018 at 20:28. Reason: Minor Corrections

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

I have already tried that. You see, I added the song in the mugen sound folder, then I assigned that to the system.def with the destination of the folder being said (title.bgm = sound/ my song). When I try it out, it still doesn't work. The only time it works is while I'm in a stage. That one is more simple. Is their any other way I could do this?
    Yes.
    Do not ask me for God Ken.

WIPS
    SCWU Rario(Update) - 4%
    SCWU Sin - 20%
    Super Castlevania IV Stage - 0%

Uploads
    Comments

Inside the /data folder there may be several system.def files.
    That could explain why it works with stages (assuming You used exactly the same path and file), but not in MUGEN screens.
    Also, which version of MUGEN are You running?
    I only have one system.def file. Another file that says system is a sff file. And, if you say if I use the same path for the stages' sound, then it would be like this (title.bgm = sound/mysong.mp3).

Also, by the way, I'm using mugen version 1.1.

Uploads
    Comments

I only have one system.def file. Another file that says system is a sff file. [...]
    That .sff file contains the sprites of MUGEN itself -- I suppose the problem is not here.
    Now, could You perform some tests? Here follow them:
    - Open the same file (.def) that You entered the paths for title and select music files. Edit the following line;
    Code:
    menu.itemname.arcade = "ARCADE"
    To:
    Code:
    menu.itemname.arcade = ""
    And observe what options are in the menu / main screen. Return the same line to normal, after.

- Change the title / select screen volume to "255" (in the same previous file).

- Use, in place of Your music, an .ogg music (You can simply convert it).

Report back, when possible.
    Last edited by Helel; 6th August 2018 at 22:24. Reason: Correction

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

OK, I did what you said, and here were the results:

1. It still said "ARCADE" on the main menu screen after I changed the code.

2. I tried to convert my .mp3 song to an .ogg like said, but still, no luck.

3. I also tried to set both the volumes of the title and select screen to 255, but still no luck.

Do you still have any suggestions?

Uploads
    Comments

[...]
    1. It still said "ARCADE" on the main menu screen after I changed the code.
    [...]
    I believe we found the problem. Should that be true, the following procedure will fix it;
    - Inside Your /data folder, open the file named mugen.cfg and search for the below block:
    Code:
    ; Set the motif to use.
    ; Motifs are themes that define the look and feel of MUGEN.
    ; This is not accessible in options screen.
    ; Note: If you install a motif that overwrites system files (not recommended)
    ; you may need to set the motif line to use data/system.def instead.
    ; motif = data/system.def  ;Use this line if using a motif that overwrites system files.
    Edit the line underneath it (motif = <some_path>) to:
    Code:
    motif = <your_system.def_file>
    Where:
    Code:
    <your_system.def_file>
    Should be replaced with the path to the system.def file wich contains the music for title / select screens.
    For example, if the system.def file is inside the /data/test folder, the line in mugen.cfg should be:
    Code:
    motif = data/test/system.def
    Report back, when possible.

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

Good news, it finally worked. I can hear music in the title screen. But, the only problem is that when I start it, I don't see any of the words. I don't see Arcade, Vs mode, Co-op, those things. And my roster increased a lot. Your plan worked, but is their a way we can stabilize everything and make sure everything thing is there?

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I figured it out. All I had to do is go to where the motif located the system file, and add a music file to there. But, thanks for helping me. Your the best!

Uploads
    Comments

Good news, it finally worked. I can hear music in the title screen. But, the only problem is that when I start it, I don't see any of the words. I don't see Arcade, Vs mode, Co-op, those things. And my roster increased a lot. Your plan worked, but is their a way we can stabilize everything and make sure everything thing is there?

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I figured it out. All I had to do is go to where the motif located the system file, and add a music file to there. But, thanks for helping me. Your the best!
    Glad to hearread that. If You happen to have any questions, the community will always be here to help.
    Enjoy your MUGEN!
    Last edited by Helel; 8th August 2018 at 19:04. Reason: Layout, Minor Corrections

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

Also, by the way, do you know how to match up opponents so we can vs them at a certain time. Like, I have a couple of characters that would do great for mid-boss and boss characters. Do you know how to do that?

Uploads
    Comments

Also, by the way, do you know how to match up opponents so we can vs them at a certain time. Like, I have a couple of characters that would do great for mid-boss and boss characters. Do you know how to do that?
    You can check this link. You will better undestand how that functions in MUGEN.
    Will also add to your knowledge the below links:

https://mugenarchive.com/forums/show...quot-parameter
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/show...er-Not-Working!
    https://mugenarchive.com/forums/show...er-little-help
    Last edited by Helel; 9th August 2018 at 21:13. Reason: Clarification, Corrections

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

By the way, do we still have to use the commas on characters with assigned stages?

Uploads
    Comments

By the way, do we still have to use the commas on characters with assigned stages?
    Yes, @Abline7. Here follows a full example:
    Code:
    cvsg-rugal, stages/clone_facility.def, music=sound/boss_enters.ogg, order = 8, includestage = 0

— Thanks

Uploads
    Comments

Do you also know how to change the vs font when vs, the announcer's voice when saying fight and win, and how to change the lifebars?

-Sorry if I'm asking too much

Uploads
    Comments

Do you also know how to fix error readings?

Uploads
    Comments

When are you getting those error readings?

When you try to run MUGEN or during the beginning or in the middle of a match?
    Do not ask me for God Ken.

WIPS
    SCWU Rario(Update) - 4%
    SCWU Sin - 20%
    Super Castlevania IV Stage - 0%