UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No download weekend: Where it passed and where it failed

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    If anything, the site looses ad money during community weekends, since adfly pages are no longer being loaded, and users who get promoted will bypass adfly forever. If it was all about greed, we wouldn't want users to be promoted at all, and promotions wouldn't even exist in fact.

In my opinion it's worth loosing some ad money to make the site a better community.
    Try what MMV does. Every link on the forum will take you to adfly no matter who you are. At least I'm used to that.
    A place for people to get together and share their original created work.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/MUGENTamamin/index/

Uploads
    Comments

My main complaint about it is that most of the characters and content don't even belong to the people who run the site. Hell sometimes you can't even download because the site is down. I understand the bandwith cost but the content isn't yours to begin with. You're even forced to turn off adblock so they get revenue from ads as well. I wouldn't mind but some of the ads are so intrusive it's a pain in the butt.

Uploads
    Comments

I said this before: getting people to be more active in the community is a great idea. More discussion means more ideas for stages, characters and everything else but when you try and force people to be active they get mad.
    And this time is worse then before because its been 4 days. When this event ends the band width will be complete used up because everyone will try and download everything that has come out. then there will be complaints about how the site is slow or has crashed.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Really, you think we would want drama for the sake of drama?

There is a notice to lurkers telling them about the ongoing event and linking to the official thread. You just can't see it because you're not a lurker.

I will however take notice of your suggestion and try to make it sound more positive next time. Although it won't make a difference to foreign language speakers who will still be confused. (anybody could submit Japanese, Spanish & French translations?)

I doubt it will make much of a difference to troublemakers either. But I have learned how to deal with them with a global ban on open proxies and a few other tweaks so there should be much less troubles next time.
    I can help with the spanish translations; itīs my first language, indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Iīll be honest, I see a great potential on this site, it has a lot of content to download and a lo more to upload, and a good comunity. Im very new here, but with a little of participation and effort you can reach the rank to download this awesome quantity of content. I want to be an active member, and it would be fine to get the contribution of the new ones here.

Uploads
    Comments

Its my personal belif we should set up a discord server if we wish to have a more stable community, a way that we can consistantly commune with one another, me personally i am new to this fourm but, it seems, alright to me. besides some of the bans being handed out like candy being shoved down ones throat. most seem nice here and just rather chill in general

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Amexican View Post
    I can help with the spanish translations; itīs my first language, indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Iīll be honest, I see a great potential on this site, it has a lot of content to download and a lo more to upload, and a good comunity. Im very new here, but with a little of participation and effort you can reach the rank to download this awesome quantity of content. I want to be an active member, and it would be fine to get the contribution of the new ones here.
    @Dizzy we got a spanish translator

Uploads
    Comments

OP is very reasonable, I couldn't agree more.

Uploads
    Comments

Sure, it is a good way to make the community participate and speak out, but so far.. the SPEAKING OUT? has mostly just been negativity :T

And i dont know ALOT about the science of all this and getting people active.. but all that's pretty much gunna happen is people are gunna do their like.. 5 posts(?) thing and then never be "active" again.

I dont know how getting everyone's status from leech- i mean lurker to New Challenger helps at all. :c im just gunna do 4 or 3 more lousy posts, become "active?", and that will overall help anything? :T Im terribly sorry if im seeming like a bad guy, but i really am confused on how these no leech weekends are suppose to REAAALLY help.

Uploads
    Comments

Kinda wish we had that questionnaire thing instead, seems simpler imo

Uploads
    Comments

While I can understand wanting to expand the community and invite more people to partake in
    awesome discussions and creating new content... There will always be people coming solely for the characters.
    Me... I've had this obsession with creating the perfect Marvel/DC game for the longest time.
    I've frequently quit and come back solely because of the gigantic filesize it all amounts to- Not just the characters (Which there are a LOT of!)
    but also all of the stages (Another obsession, finding a stage and music for each and every respective character!) and audio!
    I'm telling you, sound weighs a LOT in bytes!

And this site has frequently been invaluable to my work,
    as it has extremely rare characters and stages which I would have to work very hard to find elsewhere.
    I am very grateful for the work of the members here, who find these materials and upload them. Thank you so much!
    However... I am also a member of another forum, and have other things I like to do online. M.U.G.E.N is just a hobby of mine!
    I'm guessing this is the case with many other lurkers here as well...
    I am reluctant to become a part of this community because I am already a part of others, and thus feel content with what I have.
    I think that the other 95% here feel the same way. The community is only a part of this site, and it's the smaller part for sure.
    It's the massive, purely ****ing gargantuan roster of stuff you people have assembled that draws those people.
    It is the perfect repository for many a M.U.G.E.N fan's dream project.

Those are my thoughts on the lurkers who come here, from the perspective of one. :D
    However... One of the reasons I am reluctant to delve into the community is because I feel I really wouldn't be good at posting much related to M.U.G.E.N.
    But I happen to write a lot- Mostly short stories, that sort of thing. If I would be allowed to post those here to get people's opinions,
    I would be extremely happy to become more involved with the community! @Dizzy

Uploads
    Comments

A discord server sounds like a double edged sword though, don't you think? On one hand you have us all bundled together in a single place, but on the other you're detracting from the actual main site interaction. All that aside, this is my first post since I joined and I can safely say I understand what they're getting at. There are a bunch of us that could contribute and engage over a mutual interest, better help one another, and make the site feel more active and alive. If you care about having an easy to navigate place for all your mugen needs and helpful improvements to characters, it's actually not a bad idea to make that clear to everyone else and actively take part. If everyone just settled into their ruts and spammed downloads the site would look like a ghost town to anyone down the line that wanted to genuinely learn and contribute later. I mean...at the very least eveyone could review things they've downloaded.

In my opinion the community weekend worked. It did get a lot of people to try out the other features and perhaps they may continue to do so having some more experience with it.

Also shocking that some folks preferred to do mugen instead rather than Christmas and new years with their families and friends. O.o

However, there was a backlash though but these days just about every forum will say something about the other. If any of them try to deny that i know they're all lying. The truth is no place is perfect and in time I just learned to put up with them if just to get the downloads or to be able to say something or whatever. All places have their good points and their bad points and you will never be able to satisfy everybody. Even if you do manage something, you're still gonna get a bunch of permission and credit issues from the never ending drama found in every mugen forum.

Besides that in the long run it'll probably be better to get rid of such nuisances nice and early and this has been a great way to get them to show their true colors to. If this mugen archive database is to become a community to then bans will have to be necessary like in most all other mugen community forums.

Personally speaking though, I'm not a fan of the community like I used to be because it gets muddy really quick on do's and don'ts and all the drama that comes with it that has nothing to do with it.

I was kinda glad when i ended up here because it was just straight to the point downloads and nothing else. I understand the founders want more for it though and i respect their decision and in the end of the day this is their place and they can do whatever they want with it. Yes the content isn't theirs but at the same time the same content is free and if there are other places to get it then there really isn't a problem anymore because users can go elsewhere to get it in that case.

Also for mugen in general, it's free, no one owes anyone anything (including permission and credit). Everything about it is voluntary, sure it can suck, but at the end of the day the choice is yours to participate or not. No one is forced to do anything. I for one am grateful just that an archive exists that has downloads that won't expire or get copyright claimed removed, plus the ease of access and the sheer history of it all.

Uploads
    Comments

A lot of people got to New Challenger. Pretty much.

Uploads
    Comments

thanks god. now maybe everyone will calm down

Uploads
    Comments

Is this going to happen every weekend?

Uploads
    Comments

it usually does but normally its only 2 days

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dissidia View Post
    Is this going to happen every weekend?
    The first community weekend was in April 2016, and the last and eight weekend in December, so you can do the math.

The momentum created by the community weekends usually lasts several weeks so there would be no point stressing the community (and the staff) with weekly events.

Uploads
    Comments

works for me

Uploads
    Comments

Have a nice weekend

Not more messages?

Uploads
    Comments

and quiet