UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

View Poll Results: Is a single-player mugen game interesting to you?

Voters
53. This poll is closed
  • Totally! I'd love to see this.

17 32.08%
  • Only if multiplayer modes are included, even if they are just for fun.

30 56.60%
  • No. Fighting games are about multiplayer and having a single player game wouldn't work with that.

1 1.89%
  • I don't have an opinion, but I still feel like letting people know it in an online poll.

5 9.43%
    Uploads
    Comments

Question A question for the community

I've done a lot with mugen over the years, though I haven't produced too much in the way of content. Halfway into getting characters in my current build of mugen, a thought occurred to me. Given the ease of access to tools like Mugen story Mode and Fighter factory, would anyone be interested in a single-player focused mugen game with a lot of characters? I've been pondering the idea (and chances are I'll make the game anyway, as I'm having fun with it) of a 'storyline' for mugen, taking place after the 'first game' plot for kung fu man (and his missing girlfriend). It would be tongue in cheek, humorous, and have a load of references for the mugen community at large. It wouldn't really be balanced for multiplayer, however, which is why I'm asking this question. I know what most people want in a fighting game (at least, in modern fighting games) is the multiplayer element, making sure it's well-balanced and set for head to head. This would be more like an 'event match' or 'boss rush' type deal, and focus on overcoming opponents with crazy AI and other advantages. It would embody what mugen is, both to its community and the outside world: Unbalanced, tons of characters, and focusing on both difficulty and fun factor.

Would there be any interest in such a project's release? Seeing as how mugen creations are widely considered fair use, I intend to list all the creators I can find in the credits. If there are issues with this, chances are it will be scaled back to a local release amongst my group of friends. It will also likely be HUGE, file-size wise, so hosting might be something of an issue, as well. If these hurdles aren't significant in your eyes, though, would anyone like to see such a project get a public release?
    FAQ: It's pronounced 'Jay-jay-jacks'. It stands for Jingaling Jaxmont Jaxxon. It has nothing to do with the cool bionic arms guy from Mortal Kombat. I have normal meat arms like other normal humans, and I find it suspicious you're so curious about the composition of my limbs. My location is hidden because thousands of Kula clones are currently after me since I know the meaning of life. The meaning of life is live fast, die young, and fill half the screen with a giant beam super. Just FYI.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A question for the community

Originally the mugen software was meant to create a single player and two player shoot em up game engine. but its lead to a more of a fighting engine according to the official documents. I have to say is nice to have a single player mode for mugen but if you think about its really hard to find hardcore fighting fan that willing to play with sigle mode even of they try to play with there friends. that how come we have I.k.e.m.en because its can do LAN multi player mode. but the problem with that software is not many use its so its not very huge impact with mugen community very mush and don't have very mush option. but there other free software out there that can do a better job than mugen engine. once you understand how to code and also how to sprite your own work its become a second nature to you. There been MANY creators that started out with mugen and work way get to there goal by making RPG games and side scrolling game that been posted on steam. they are many Independence creators started out with mugen but also some that started out with RPG Maker, Fighter Maker V2.0 and ALSO OpenBOS aka Open Beast of Street.

Question is How far you are going with this ? but that all depend on you really.

But anyways sure making a game to be single player sound fun but also will kill the player two mode and also team match up

Uploads
    Comments

A good single (or co-op) player mode would be more than alright with me!

We need more games that we can put on a plaque and have lengthy conversation about; Like the good ol' times.

Nowadays, I'd prefer one with multiplayer modes, simply because it might hog my attention a little longer before it cakes up dust like an old book...

Uploads
    Comments

Let me get into a bit more detail about the project, as I wasn't expecting this much of (or really any!) response. Here goes...

I will include the default MUGEN modes, of course. Anyone with a craving for VS or arcade will be happy to know that progress in the singleplayer will unlock characters for classic MUGEN game types. However, the focus is going to be on controlling kung fu man through a number of event matches versus community creations. Each battle will have an into and outro cinematic, usually just a conversation between KFM and a supporting character I've yet to name. It's still a fighting game (like MUGEN is generally supposed to be) but the competitive multiplayer side is more there for fun than as the main focus.

The whole thing came about when I was adding MUGEN characters (it's always fun to go on character collecting hunts, and sometimes it's even fun to go play internet archeologist and dig up old content on forgotten MUGEN sites) and I was looking back at previous drama within the community (specifically warehousing/anti-warehousing, with good points on both sides) and I came across an old SRK thread where a number of MUGEN users were trying to get the traditional fighting game crowd to recognize MUGEN as legit. this, of course, wasn't going to happen, since what a traditional fighting game player wants (a balanced, competitive multiplayer experience) and what the average MUGEN user wants (a roster of their favorite characters, crazy dream matches etc.) were pretty incompatible. I started thinking about how a game that played to MUGEN's strengths, as well as playing into how its viewed by the internet community at large by outsiders. Most people see MUGEN as crazy, unbalanced, and not meant for multiplayer competition. So instead of making a game as one would make a traditional tournament fighter, I started thinking about ways to make it singleplayer, keeping the whole 'dream match' part at the forefront. Characters are unbalanced, sure, but since you're playing as KFM (zkfm more specifically) pretty much exclusively it makes it more like a series of boss fights/event matches. I thought that, with a humorous story, it would not only be something the MUGEN community could appreciate, but something that the greater internet could look at and enjoy rather than simply pointing out how broken many characters are and laughing at weeaboos making story arcs for random character battles (not to talk smack to them for that, everyone's got hobbies!).

MUGEN, taken as it is, only puts on the mask of a balanced fighter. Sure, you can make tourney-quality games with skill and dedication using the engine, but most people just want to make peter griffon fight naruto or what have you and not much plays to that in the community, since the focus is (and, really, it should be this way) on creation of new content, rather than how said content fits...or doesn't. So, if the content doesn't fit, why not make a game where that's the point?
    FAQ: It's pronounced 'Jay-jay-jacks'. It stands for Jingaling Jaxmont Jaxxon. It has nothing to do with the cool bionic arms guy from Mortal Kombat. I have normal meat arms like other normal humans, and I find it suspicious you're so curious about the composition of my limbs. My location is hidden because thousands of Kula clones are currently after me since I know the meaning of life. The meaning of life is live fast, die young, and fill half the screen with a giant beam super. Just FYI.

Uploads
    Comments

(Sorry to double post, message was too long, had to split it.)

As for how far this goes, I don't really know. I'm genuinely hoping all the way, but so many MUGEN projects have crashed and burned because of high hopes. As of now, I'm running a hand-modified version of the IMT screenpack with a couple new title graphics. the game over screen I'm using is actually the only thing I've uploaded to this site, so I guess that counts as a preview of things to come (even though I made it over three years ago). I have a few hundred characters of varying quality, though the price of admission is that a character MUST have an AI patch. MUGEN's default dead fish AI won't cut it for a brutally-difficult boss-rush style fighter. Cutscenes are going to be relatively easy as a friend of mine is working with me to create a cutscene creation program for use in this project. The writing is done between me and another friend (who knows nothing about fighting games, which tends to make his commentary hilarious) and depending on how much is needed I may also be doing a custom soundtrack for the game (I have a composition for a kung fu man theme song and a few other ideas, but since I'm not 100% on what stages are in I don't want to work too much on that yet). Most of my work at the moment is tracking down rare files or AI patches for characters, which has been a feat in and of itself, but once I have what I feel is a great array of community content I can get to standardizing it. Custom portraits in a matching style, new winscreen pictures etc. will need to be made for a huge number of characters. Not hard, mind you, but kind of tedious. I'd say that this project has a good chance at moving forward to completion, however, as just about all of it is doable with my skillset (always a problem with me and game design: I don't know enough to do everything I need to!)

I guess you could say it's going to be similar to SF1, how you played as Ryu VS a number of enemies until getting to a final boss, except in this case it will be a lot more opponents with their own challenges.

In the end, I just love the MUGEN community and its creations. That, and I think good 'ol KFM needs a resolution to the story that started in 1999, don't you? I mean, duke nukem forever didn't even take this long... :)
    Last edited by JJJaxx; 8th April 2016 at 02:53.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

in mugen you can have hidden characters but you cant make them to be unlockable because of lack of resources with in the mugen engine. HOW EVER as following a story mode path with the mugen character that can be done. bUt only be done by coding A Character as well. making a full single mode with kung fu man can be done because all the code resources are with in the characters, this is the reason why we have interactive mugen and also make the character to be more a bonus games by adding multiple AI with in the mugen characters. this trick had been done by Acey's Fullgame Avengers vs Xmen. there two type of coding was involved to make to be more single player with the mugen engine :D
    Last edited by OldGamer; 8th April 2016 at 06:01.

Uploads
    Comments

Actually, you can indeed have unlockable characters using this nifty utility. I've been using it a couple years now and it works great for setting up sagas and unlocks! Most of what I'm doing revolves around this.

Rest assured, I'm not a newbie when it comes to MUGEN. I actually got started sometime around 2001/2002 :)

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JJJaxx View Post
    Actually, you can indeed have unlockable characters using this nifty utility. I've been using it a couple years now and it works great for setting up sagas and unlocks! Most of what I'm doing revolves around this.

Rest assured, I'm not a newbie when it comes to MUGEN. I actually got started sometime around 2001/2002 :)
    nice so this program can do the job sweet I gues I never seen this program before. but very good find well let test it and see what u can do. do some video test on default mugen see how she react and let see this threw to the end

so what your expertise ?
    1. character maker and coder ?
    2. stage maker and coder ?
    3. screen pack maker and coder ?
    Last edited by OldGamer; 8th April 2016 at 10:26.

Uploads
    Comments

I'm still pretty weak in the character building department. Haven't cracked that nut quite yet, but since this is using primarily community assets that part doesn't bother me too much. I've done a little stage coding and a pretty big amount of screenpack modification. I'm not a GREAT coder but I know how to make MUGEN do what I want it to, at least when character building isn't involved! :D

I tend to dip in and out of MUGEN development. The last time I actually sat down and assembled a MUGEN 'game' (pretty loosely a game, mind you. More just a collection of chars and stages) was around 2007. A lot has changed since then, but I'm getting back into the groove of it. I'd say I'm more of a writer/audio guy, but MUGEN is something of an exception just because I've known it for so long. Video editing might also be fair to list as a skill, because with the size of roster here I'm gonna need to make a loooot of cutscenes.

Uploads
    Comments

One question that's come to me as of late is about release schedule. I'm not sure if I should go for one big release, or release incremental updates via individual sagas. Would it be better to space out small releases, or go for a big thing all at once?

Uploads
    Comments

I think I'm going to go with episodic content. That way, I can determine a final roster of chars but introduce them slowly. Not sure what the policy is on full mugen game uploads, seemed it could go either way if I recall the rules section correctly.

Also, is it a good idea to make an update thread? Would there be interest in seeing the progress on this project, or is it better to keep it under wraps until the first episode is released?