UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Sad Server crash with data loss

Hello my friends, bad news today.

Earlier this day, I've received a notification about a botnet attack, and I kind of messed up things while trying to deal with the situation in a hurry. The result is we lost all database changes since Monday, that includes all new members, new posts and basically four whole days of activity. This is really terrible and there's unfortunately no way to recover the lost data. I feel responsible for not scheduling backups more frequently and I'm sorrier than you can know. Weekly backups were fine when the activity was low but now it's completely unacceptable.

Not trying to find a cheap excuse but dedicated servers are no fun, basically I'm on my own for everything, no control panel, no features, no nothing. I have to plan everything. I'm afraid I can't do much other than learning from this mistake and move on.

No file was lost though since the core and the file system servers are independent, and the latter was unaffected. I managed to re-import all files added since Monday through a batch script. But it was as rough as a batch job can be, all files were moved to this category and assigned to Justice. I have no way to recover the file details unfortunately : name, author, uploader, description, category, associated images, etc... The metadata can be regenerated though and I've packed all the missing image files here.

Dizzy messaged me about some new moderators, and I guess it's time to give the green light as we'll need every possible help. If you want to reclaim your files please post a list of the urls, and I'll make sure the files are transferred to your account.

I believe we can make it and fix the situation over the time. I'll do everything necessary on my end for this situation to never happen again, with multiple daily backups from now on.

Men must become more then men, and gears must become more then gears.

Peace.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Server crash with data loss

I think I uploaded almost 100 files since Monday for the "page.freet" problem

T_T I'm gonna die

At least the files are there, just need to be updated.
    I can help on that matter, if you give me permission to edit the files (I was the uploader, it will be clearly easier, I know what I did upload and what I did not)
    We also have the images, so all I have to do is go thru that list and locate what was uploaded, edit and reupload the image.

Problem is, I don't think we'll be able to backup all the page.freet list, since our time will be spent on fixing the crash. Unless more people join our cause of course
    Last edited by Left4Joker; Mar 18, 2016 at 20:24.

Uploads
    Comments

This is ... terrible

At least the files weren't lost indeed. So I guess we're going to overcome this.

@Left4Joker, you should be able to edit files and reassign to another uploader.
    No need to hurry though, I suppose the priority is to back up the rest of freett before the shut down.
    The freett thread is now terribly outdated but I've received email notifications of the replies, so I might be able to update it.

Uploads
    Comments

Plz do it. I'll be fixing the archives until then.

I understand,
    Sadly it is something bound to happen on the internet, but fear not, i am sure you did your best, after all only little data were lost, that is a good thing indeed, and the fact that you recovered uploaded files is great.
    On my account, I will do anything is in my power to help, just ask and I shall do, as I find this community essential.

Problem is, I don't think we'll be able to backup all the page.freet list, since our time will be spent on fixing the crash. Unless more people join our cause of course
    I shall proceed to download more right away.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Left4Joker View Post
    Plz do it. I'll be fixing the archives until then.
    I've pasted the messages as they were emailed to me, but I'm completely lost about what needs to be scratched out of the list. Feel free to update it if you can remember. IIRC the first part of the list was entirely covered.

It's unfortunate that many of the descriptions have been lost.
    As for the freet situation, I don't think it's that bad, I think we've already got a lot of them covered.

@Dizzy
    IIRC the first part of the list was entirely covered.
    does it means we have to download only the "more sites" list?

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Collector View Post
    It's unfortunate that many of the descriptions have been lost.
    As for the freet situation, I don't think it's that bad, I think we've already got a lot of them covered.
    True, this is unfortunate, although there weren't that many detailed descriptions lately. Many files were added without a description.

I'll start working on regenerating the metadata and thumbnails tonight.

Anyway, the files are there, and just needs to be fixed, no need to rush IMO. There used to be hundreds of characters in the root, and that was fixed, just give it some time.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Warbandit100 View Post
    @Dizzy

does it means we have to download only the "more sites" list?
    Only some of them. Half of the second part of the list was done, don't remember exactly which ones though. I'm sure Left4Joker will update the list, until then no need to rush I guess, you'd probably end doing a lot more than necessary.

Uploads
    Comments

More sites were completed as I started from the bottom.

There were a few on the upper part of the list that were not checked

Got it, i will wait further instruction then.

Funny... Strange things occur in foruns I'm member... Is me being victim of a STALKER?
    I'm watching: Magic Knight Rayearth

Its not as bad as thought. I know people who have backed up the files a long time ago from Freett, and Im willing to reupload or update the lost files as much as I can

Reactivated my account took awhile but managed lost some stuff but I'll reupload what I can along with some new stuff I can find.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Mobmaster5 View Post
    Reactivated my account took awhile but managed lost some stuff but I'll reupload what I can along with some new stuff I can find.
    No file was lost but they've all been temporarily assigned to Justice.

Please claim your files by all means, as it would be extremely unfair if you didn't get credited for your posts.

how do we claim our posts back?

Uploads
    Comments

Look for them, if you can't find wait a few days until Justice and me update the archives.

When you find it, send to me or Dizzy a PM with the link and we'll credit the upload back to you ;D
    I have plenty of free time, don't be shy to ask me, I'm here to help \o

Quote Originally Posted by Left4Joker View Post
    Look for them, if you can't find wait a few days until Justice and me update the archives.

When you find it, send to me or Dizzy a PM with the link and we'll credit the upload back to you ;D
    I have plenty of free time, don't be shy to ask me, I'm here to help \o
    The link to file that was posted?

Uploads
    Comments

Yes, none of the files was lost, they are all at "characters" section. But they are just with the file name, no info, no screenshot, nothing, just file name.
    We are updating them, if you can remember wich one you did upload...

Here: http://mugenarchive.com/forums/downl...hp?do=cat&id=1
    look down there, there's 5 or 6 pages of files at that situation right now

An easy way is make a search for the last uploads by Justice (there's an option for that at the search filter)

If you can't find it, or can't remember the name of file, wait a few days until we update it with the correct info and correct char/stage name, do another search for Justice posts, and, once you found it, send me a PM with the link.

I'm not so active at the weekend though, so if I do not respond immediately just have patience and wait for Monday.
    Last edited by Left4Joker; Mar 19, 2016 at 12:42.