UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Poll: What is your favorite type of MUGEN Characters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Favorite Type of MUGEN Creations?

I've used a plethora of different characters, ranging from accurate recreations (Tokinomiya Kamui by 匿名スマブラー), original characters (Ella by Aiduzzi), character edits (Trouble Man by DrKelexo), and even some... unconventional choices (Torozo by Kozeni). But, which of these types of content do you really enjoy in/desire for MUGEN? How fair/cheap a character is or where it's originally from is not exactly what I'm asking for here, but feel free to share your thoughts and preferences.

Default Re: Favorite Type of MUGEN Creations?

hello and Nice thread,
    I must admit that even if I desire most of the characters, stages and soundtracks for mugen, I find myself opting to include a certain standard in my choices, we can say i like them all, but only if they feels good to play, and they match good with the other characters.
    The most desired by me are Original characters, they mostly never fail to amuse me, and even if they are simple creations, if they match my liking, they still are good characters for me.
    Sorry for the weird answer, I must admit it's my first time trying to do this kind of post.

Uploads
    Comments

Difficult to pick one when all the fun in MUGEN is to combine everything.

I especially like creations which have both accurate and custom modes and you can select one on the fly.

At the end of the day I think it's all about quality. Which is more fun to play than the other will depend entirely on the efforts put into the creation. Source accurate characters are usually better than edits to me, but that's because more work is usually put into them. Some edits are totally more fun than the original as long as enough effort was put into them.

Uploads
    Comments

The sillier, the better imo

The characters that impress me are well made original characters like Hanaqo,
    or characters that use original sprites like Biyo's Touhou characters.
    Some joke characters also have their moments.

To me adding more Ryu's and Akuma's is good and all but at some point you're just going to be like "Hey look, another one for the pile".
    That said the character I play most of the time is P.o.t.s.'s Ryu...

Uploads
    Comments

I've gotta say, different character creations do have their perks.

I love characters true to the source material, but the person making them has to be a fan, someone who truly knows the source material, and can put their heart into it. A good example is the Pingu by Mulambo.

Although I haven't tried too many original characters or edits, the concept of an original or slightly original character for MUGEN is pretty interesting.

Now, for joke characters it really depends, I think a joke character can be silly, but still awesome, like the Donald one (supposedly by Kishio).
    Of course, there's some bad characters, that, whether on purpose or not, are so bad they're hilarious. I played with this one character, well, I still do, and the movements and stances are awkward, like, it was ultimo-maximo bad. The victory quote was some dialouge, about 2 seconds long, but the "white noise" was as loud as the dialouge, and it was super distorded, but the way it cut in and out was so hilarious, I almost cried!
    Last edited by BrandoTG; 8th March 2016 at 13:24. Reason: spellcheck

Uploads
    Comments

I'd say originals get top billing in my book. Yeah, there's a lot of originals that are sub-par, but the ones where people put huge investments of time and effort are more than enough to blast the bad from my mind. Frankly, I just like characters that are quality. Good visuals, fun control schemes, systems and subsystems to play with. The odd mix up (taking a KoF char and making them in a SF3 style, or something like that) makes for more unexpected gameplay, especially when you've played so much mortal kombat that scorpion's moveset has become banal to you.

Throw in a joke character or three as a miniboss and that's a pretty good recipe for a mugen build, in my book. The biggest problem I have is figuring out who should be the final boss of a given build. So many great options...

Uploads
    Comments

I really enjoy edited chars that are accurate to a certain style of gameplay.

Like those edited chars that aim beeing "CVS' or "POTS" style.
    Or those that looks so convicing as KOF edits that could be part of the game.

I also enjoy putting together at the same mugen chars with the same playstyle.
    I have one mugen with KOF chars, other with CVS, other for SF, other MVC, and other for random stuff XD

Uploads
    Comments

I voted edited characters because my favorite ones are KOF edited characters, like Kyo_MI, Jin's Rugal, some old Mugenchina edits... of course I like accurate ones, but if I'm going to use accurate ones, I can just play the original game, not the same for edited ones.

Uploads
    Comments

I'm torn between characters which are as close of a representation of the legit game and characters which are a fusion or more than one character (not like Uppercut, but like Asura).

Uploads
    Comments

I like the idea of completely original characters

Uploads
    Comments

I feel like I ought to say Original, since if I ever manage to create something for MUGEN myself, that's what it would have to be. Source-accuracy is all well and good, for dedicated builds, but speaking as a hoarder, none of my collection is ever really going to match, and that's okay! To me, that's what MUGEN's all about, really.

Uploads
    Comments

Original characters I suppose... At least unique is good enought than nothing. Even I want to design in Touhou Character like Reimu or Sakuya but difficult.

Uploads
    Comments

Personally I like characters that matched source material much more. I wanted the characters in Mugen to feel like what I've seen in game or even in TV shows because I enjoyed them more that way. However, I don't mind some original characters or even several peculiar edits like Retro Suika.

Uploads
    Comments

I really like edits since they usually have flashy playstyles and above average AIs which makes spectator battles a joy to behold.

Uploads
    Comments

I have no real preference, but the only actual spriteswap I have is Freddie Mercury, for hilarity and novelty sake.
    I do love me some unconventional characters this I will admit, like ahuron's less serious characters or pill by robo.

Source accurate characters are pretty good, i like GM´s SF3 characters and Mikita´s Akatsuki Blitzkampf the most, for the edits, Spec Ops and Guille_n_roll´s SSF2+ chars are damn great.

I truthfully love Source Accurate Characters, they give me a small idea on what playing the game they're from is like, if i've played it or not.

Uploads
    Comments

My type of characters is... kinda barebones I guess.
    I like accurate characters with nothing fancy added to it, no grooves, no alternate modes, nothing other than the base characters and the base mechanics of the game or series they came from, someone could say that it's boring this way but I kinda prefer the original games if I want those instead of having a bunch of characters who strives to have those things but all done completely differently from each other and so with varied execution.
    That means that I end up editing 3/4 of the characters I download because they have some of those stuffs and I don't want them... does that mean then that I like edits the best?

Uploads
    Comments

Source accurate chars are nice. But I prefer edited ones.