UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Will MUGEN be compatible with future Windows releases?

Hello, dear community of MUGEN Archive! I just want to share with you this concern that I have for some time: "Will MUGEN be compatible with future Windows releases (like Windows 11 and beyond)?

You see, I'm new in the creation process in MUGEN (I used it before just to download characters and play with them). Now, I want to take one step ahead and make my own original character. I'm just a hobbyst pixel artist and I never study programming (only use the easy "event system" of RPG Maker). I'm aware I need to study very much the coding process of MUGEN, understanding its functions and everything. That's fine by me but...I fear it takes more than 1 year for me to complete a solid original game. And...what if Windows release another update? Since MUGEN was left by its own creators...and even the official site its down, How sure can we be that MUGEN will run in future versions without problems? Will all my hard work be in vein?:(

Sometimes I think it's better for me just to learn "real coding" without "engines"...sometimes I think it's normal to think MUGEN will stop working in future version of PC since it's not getting official updates. But maybe you guys know something I don't know. Maybe you know some users or coders who will launch a "patch" to solve this compatibility issues? Would you suggest to creative people to invest time crafting original characters and coding them in MUGEN?

I would really appreciate any comment or words you can share with me! It will be nice to read what you know or think about this!

Thank you very much for your time! I hope I did not bore you.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Will MUGEN be compatible with future Windows releases?

The latest mugen version was 1.1, which was released in 2013, Windows 8 was in its infantry and 10 hadn't been released yet, but it works fine on both. WinMUGEN came out a long time ago and still works on modern OSs. I doubt you have much to worry about.

Uploads
    Comments

Microsoft said that windows 10 will be the last os they will make ive had mugen since christmas and it works like a charm there is plenty of time to crete and release a charcter

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by TheCoolLucario429 View Post
    Microsoft said that windows 10 will be the last os they will make
    That's just a myth. Windows 10 is actually the start of a new brand of Windows OS's. (Source: https://www.guidingtech.com/49389/to...hs-windows-10/)

3DS Name: Isabella Friend Code: 2595-1966-8640

Uploads
    Comments

Wow! Thank you very much to all for you for sharing your thoughts about this. You encourage me to invest my free time in doing characters, like Hyde233 said, even WinMUGEN works in nowdays! Thank you, thank you very much for this info. I'm sure there's no problem then! Let's create more original characters, guys! :D

Uploads
    Comments

Im sure MUGEN will be usable in all future Windows platforms, seems pretty versatile

Uploads
    Comments

Windows runs on similar frameworks I doubt it will break completely for a long time.

Uploads
    Comments

I'm pretty sure by the time Windows comes out with an OS that the old mugen can't work with, some enterprising soul would have found some workaround for the community. Or Electrobyte would suddenly come out with a mystical 1.2 update or something.

Uploads
    Comments

Who develops mugen? Is it just open source? will it ever run native on linux?

- - - Updated - - -

it even works on mac and linux with wine so yeah it seems like its pretty versatile