UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default No leech weekends?

The new server has been up for a few weeks now and apart from some occasional crashes, it does very good IMHO. Traffic and visitors have very largely increased and the % of silent members is decreasing steadily.

So, what's the problem? Well, I kind of feel like users activity is still way too low. +10K downloads daily and only a dozen of posts or comments? As I've always said, we're a community, not a simple file repository! Now might be the time to use that momentum and stimulate the community a little.

So, I thought about experimenting some "no leech weekends", short periods during which no download would be allowed for users of the Lurker group. Of course, there will be some troublemakers but I want to see if the staff can handle the situation. I will need EVERY bit of help possible, moderators, staff, and even regular users, so please tell me you'll be ready and available.

Please tell me whether you like this idea or not, and how you think we should handle the troublemakers.

Thank you.

*edit/ this is just a think tank, I'm not saying we're going to do it, I want to hear everyone first
    Last edited by Dizzy; 7th February 2016 at 01:52. Reason: edit

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No leech weekends?

I have to agree with you Dizzy . I think is good idea in my opinion. its been a quite community indeed and I know a few active member that I Know off. I think we need to have member to be more active to the forum.But I am always around if you needed me even tho I'm still a novice moderator and not fully understand the Forum just yet. but I am always here for helping hand if you ever needed Dizzy :D Iam so far the second mush active moderator here so I'm here to help no matter what and I'm at your serves Dizzy

Uploads
    Comments

I support this like totally
    just tell me what I must do!

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Badguy View Post
    I support this like totally
    just tell me what I must do!
    Indeed Sol Badguy same here same here XD

Uploads
    Comments

I'm a lurker who only registered for tech help. But if it helps the server, I'd be willing to take one for the team and not be able to download for a while.

Sure, i don't see no problem in it, i will do what i can to help.

Uploads
    Comments

I'm in.

I see many forums where you have to comment to download stuff...

Maybe this could boost people to participate in the forum?
    Like.. "oh.. ok.. so now I have this account, let me take a look at the forum..."

It's just another idea XD not sure if a good one though

So does it start today?
    Also, i won't be much active, as i'm dedicating all my time to this
    http://mugenarchive.com/forums/showt...uot-thing-quot

Uploads
    Comments

As a creator yes I do create stuff like palettes and whatnot and even be helpful, Hell I even made a stage and have been experimenting with stages from time to time(Kyokugenryu2014. Look in MFG), as far as I know the only places I hang mostly are at MFG and another site...which I can't seem to say cause it gets censored. But when I know when both places are pretty much lacking on what I need, I come here or Google away.
    Idk much about something like this, hell Idk about me losing my account after a certain amount of time...which sucks.
    In a final vote, I'm rather mixxed on this one. I mean yeah leechers suck but there might be some reasons out there with reasons, such as a language barrier. If we deny them any sort of leeching that really makes a site, let alone a werehouse, sorta not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Casvalrel View Post
    As a creator yes I do create stuff like palettes and whatnot and even be helpful, Hell I even made a stage and have been experimenting with stages from time to time(Kyokugenryu2014. Look in MFG), as far as I know the only places I hang mostly are at MFG and another site...which I can't seem to say cause it gets censored. But when I know when both places are pretty much lacking on what I need, I come here or Google away.
    Idk much about something like this, hell Idk about me losing my account after a certain amount of time...which sucks.
    In a final vote, I'm rather mixxed on this one. I mean yeah leechers suck but there might be some reasons out there with reasons, such as a language barrier. If we deny them any sort of leeching that really makes a site, let alone a werehouse, sorta not work.
    That is true indeed, but in my opinion, people should always improve themselves, and learn new things everyday; if there's a limit someone doesn't like, that someone should learn how to overcome such limit.
    I'm not saying they're in the wrong of course, as I was in the same situation: I'm italian, and in my school period, long ago, english wasn't taught at its best, but that never stopped me, I used my Dial-Up modem (aka 56k connection) and learned on my own.
    Nowadays there are thousands of ways to learn english, i know kids from every part of the world who learned english better than me, so language barrier shouldn't be an obstacle for people.
    There are many other things to take in consideration of course, like someone being shy, or unsure of themselves, which i am, but that also never stopped me, i wish many other people overcome that, and as you may know, sometimes you have to force people to improve themselves.
    This "no leech weekend" should help people to open themselves up, join the community and make new friends, other than keep this site alive, that's why i like it, it has a lot more pro than cons for a person, while it's a risky move for the site.
    I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, not many people like to do that, like me for example, and that is a great feat, as it always help to learn and grow.

To be honest, I am not much of a contributor myself, not in community nor content.
    I need to apologize for that, sorry :(

But if I understand correctly, it's about getting an active community, not so much about server load, right?

The idea of "no leech weekends" wouldn't really tackle the problem, it just keeps visitors away during weekends.
    If they just came to download something, they'll look elsewhere or come back another time.
    Which probably would increase server load during weekdays. (5 days instead of 7).
    To be blunt, taking away from them wouldn't help, it might make it worse.

On the other hand, giving active community members more rewards/priorities seems more likely increase some kind of involvement.
    Much like the VIP membership announcement.
    Maybe you should limit visitors, lurkers and other inactive members a lot more, like a much lower download limit etc.
    Active users, who earned their upgrades get more priority and downloads.
    You might even want to use a point/current system, so users have to earn their downloads (next to their allowed limits).
    Maybe even other benefits/rewards I can't think of?

I am just throwing out some ideas though.

Uploads
    Comments

hegalica, I agree with most of your post.

I have no plan to make it regular though, I would like to first experiment it one weekend and see how it goes. Of course I expect a lot of troubles, junk posting, spam, angry rants and bans. Just want to see if the staff can handle it and if more good than bad can come out of it. I won't experiment this immediately though, I'll give the community a few more weeks and see if things improve. We've recently recovered from an incident and now is not the time to put more stress on the community.

As for the level of access, there's no plan to limit unregistered users access. They already have a much lower level of access than registered members, and in fact, I want to improve their level of access. However we might limit the level of access of lurkers eventually. Sure it might sound illogical but unregistered users somewhat contributed more than lurkers with hundreds to thousands of uploads, so we should be thankful to them.

And if new features get implemented eventually, I'll try to have them reserved to active members. I agree we need to reward active members more.

Uploads
    Comments

nice event

Uploads
    Comments

Unfortunately you can't control the Downloads/Activity ratio. But I think this is a good initiative, many more people will be active now.

Uploads
    Comments

Sad Re: No leech weekends?

I know you want to improve the Forum's members activity rate

To make the forum does not look dead

But there are also members ages

Some are students and some are white-collar workers

Some are own business for business

So everyone's time is not the same activity

There everyone is different mentality

Some just want to download the characters and do not want to speak

Some are full of talking nonsense

To upgrade their level

So this is the case throughout

Really difficult to adjust
    Last edited by bnach; 16th August 2016 at 00:49.

Uploads
    Comments

You spelled "balancing" wrong. But okay.

Uploads
    Comments

Agreed. I want this site to be more active at the some point.

Uploads
    Comments

I agreed too, but for me it's hard, because i not talk english very well

Uploads
    Comments

I think the main issue most might have is people thinking they're being forced into being social. Some people are jut anti social, others wouldn't have any idea how to contribute or what to say in posts to get out of lurker rank.

Uploads
    Comments

I Now Feel Bad For Being A lurker......