UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default 3D model rig help or volunteers

Sorry, I was expecting to make in the long run an unprecedented char in MUGEN, but as I know NOTHING about art (I can't draw properly, pixel art properly - even wasted some notebooks on the process); I found a semi-way of developing it without having to tamper with the character looks. I found an appropriate model but it had no skeleton for animation. I really am trying my best to learn how to rig it so then I can focus on learning on how to give a shot at animations (the same way I learned to edit characters in MUGEN). So the point is: Is there anybody here who can give some tips or if I'm more than lucky, who could even rig a model for me? Well... thanks anyway (I don't even know if I should put this in help development or request...)

mulambo is offline user banned for repeated defamation, spreading plain lies with clear intent to damage people's reputation and/or ruin people's motivation Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: 3D model rig help or volunteers

Well, rigging a whole model for you would be a hell of a job (also because I'm simplistic as regards modeling/not available for work/ can only model lowpoly stuff because of hw limits), but I can suggest you to use Blender and find some "armature animation tutorial". It won't take you too long before you correctly learn it, it's a really intuitive software. Of course, you have to know how to use Blender first ( I mean, some fundamentals are necessary, of course) but once you get used to it, it all will be automatic.

Uploads
    Comments

I got it... actually I tried some programs but I found Maya a little bit better in terms of camera positioning... Is it much more difficult to create a skeleton than blender? (I tried blender, though.) There are some problems with the only 2 models of the character I got: They are really huge and one of them don't show its textures... Well I'll see if I can keep constructing it bit by bit. Thanks for the reply man!

mulambo is offline user banned for repeated defamation, spreading plain lies with clear intent to damage people's reputation and/or ruin people's motivation Banned
    Toxic
    Uploads
    Comments

I tried Maya but it's not as easy for modeling like Blender (you know, edit mode is really intuitive, never figured how to model in Maya in the same easy way). Blender is really productive if you know a bit of its keyboard shortcuts (you can look for them on google).
    Yeah, I know they're really different in camera/view settings, but if you use Shift or Ctrl together with the middle mouse button, usually Ctrl makes you zoom in/out, Shift is for more precise moving of the "view". The "camera" is actually an object that you can place on the scene to render the image or the animation. Additional hint: select the camera object and press 0 (NumPad) and it gives you a preview on screen of the rendered scene, press Ctrl+Alt+0 and, if there a camera object present in the scene, whatever is your view it makes it the camera view.
    About textures, I use an old version of Blender, but newer version can display textures directly on the 3d view, I guess, and the UV mapping is also pretty intuitive too (search "UV Mapping with Blender" on Google). Sometimes Blender files (under "Texture" tab) rely on absolute image paths, so you can check if the image exists and you can redirect it to its correct position and press the "refresh" button on the right of the image path. Or you can try to re-assign it by UV Mapping (but that's a job to do). I don't know newer versions, though, I use the old 2.5 / 2.6 / 2.7 versions. I think newer versions got lots of cool new stuff. Also there's plenty of tutorials online ;)

Another important thing: Blender, as a freeware program, is teh best. 3dsMax or Maya or others are cool too, probably more powerful, but they're not free (or probably free to try, I don't know) and they're heavier in terms of disk space. But anyway, I'm not great expert, I only model low-poly stuff and animate basic stuff (imagine PSX style of animations). Well, even for an eternal noob like me it's really easy. You just have to add the armature inside of the mesh, select the mesh first and the armature second, press Ctrl+P and choose "Average Weight", but some tutorials are more detailed about this (and that's the good part of the program, I think).