UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Idea IDEA: Mugen, but as a roguelike

And as a completely separate game, because I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be possible in regular ol' Mugen.

But picture this: the idea of Mugen, but as a roguelike. Maybe in the same vein as TBoI, mixed with LoZ:LttP. Rooms are generated based on user made enemies, items, objects, level parts, etc, or rooms can be premade (which will be good for bosses). Users could also make their own player characters as well. And maybe have a bit of default stuff too that comes prepackaged, possibly ? I don't know. But what I do know is that I've begun work on a filesystem directory enumerating system, and it'll be used in the mod tools should this game ever happen.

What do you think ? Is it a good idea ?
    I might try doing this, if it's okay, and not a completely stupid idea.

Also. I'm not too sure where to post this, so I'm assuming here since it's somewhat related to Mugen.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: IDEA: Mugen, but as a roguelike

Why should be a stupid idea?
    But it must be impossible.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    Why should be a stupid idea?
    But it must be impossible.
    I'm not sure, actually. Maybe because I'm just one person, but I do have a friend I can look to for help.
    And the impossibility stems from having no team. But maybe people could help if they really wanted to ? I've made games on my own in the past, it's not really impossible now that I think of it, but it's pretty difficult to stick to. But, I'm excited about it. Maybe that excitement will motivate me even more.

Uploads
    Comments

I can think of several fullgames that are make use of mugen in many unique ways. So your idea may be possible if you have somethng innovative in mind as well. Mugen is just a game engine that you can manipulate like many other engines so creating a rogue-like is not out of the realm of possibility.

Uploads
    Comments

Sorry, ignore my "must be impossible quote", seems like i missed your first line.

well, if you're going to use already existing chars, it's still not a stupid idea but... probably something that anyone already did before. my suggestion, as you're askin for some suggestions, is to make your chars and stages original, however you define your project. or else... i don't know

about custom characters, well that seems a really difficult task, I mean you can use helpers to define the outfit of a char, but that's something the player must do at each stage, I guess, unless you figure a pro way around that (or a tool) or maybe I'm missing the point of the "rogue" thing (unless you "decompress" those acronyms so I get the idea better XD)

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by mulambo View Post
    well, if you're going to use already existing chars, it's still not a stupid idea but... probably something that anyone already did before. my suggestion, as you're askin for some suggestions, is to make your chars and stages original, however you define your project. or else... i don't know

about custom characters, well that seems a really difficult task, I mean you can use helpers to define the outfit of a char, but that's something the player must do at each stage, I guess, unless you figure a pro way around that (or a tool) or maybe I'm missing the point of the "rogue" thing (unless you "decompress" those acronyms so I get the idea better XD)
    I'm not really sure you understood what I meant :L
    That's fine, though.
    I'm not asking to make characters, I'm asking to make a game. Well, specifically, I'm asking if it's a good idea. And as I've stated before in the first post on this, the game will need some characters, but I'll have the default be a good tutorial character for it so that people could make their own.

Also, "roguelike" is a genre of videogame. Rogue Legacy, Dwarf Fortress, Risk Of Rain, The Binding Of Isaac, stuff like that are roguelikes. Roguelikes are characterized by procedural level generation, "die once save deleted", and a shit ton of content. At least from what I understand, but I could be very wrong.

I have a name for this thing now. "Evessilyn" will be the name of the game. I've already begun work on it. Well, more specifically, an algorithm for it that's really hard to explain.

I'm not asking to make characters, I'm asking to make a game.
    Well a game is made of characters, if you're not making characters you're just "compiling" a game with existing characters.
    Well, more specifically, an algorithm for it that's really hard to explain.
    well, yeah, pretty complex to understand even the meaning of the topic I mean: you want to make something, if it's cool for you well you can make it. :/

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by mulambo View Post
    Well a game is made of characters, if you're not making characters you're just "compiling" a game with existing characters.
    well, yeah, pretty complex to understand even the meaning of the topic I mean: you want to make something, if it's cool for you well you can make it. :/
    On the characters thing, I plan to make a bunch of original content for the game, and then stuff that isn't included with the game too. When I said that thing in the quote, I didn't really mean it that way. I'm tired, sorry. I thought you meant characters for Mugen.
    There will be a few starting characters, one for each basic class. And they'll be original and unique too. Hopefully. I've been told my designs range from cute to creepy as hell.

This seems like a really big project, but I've completed big projects before. I'm sure it'll be fine. Let's just hope I stay excited about it.
    There's something I'm forgetting, though, but I don't know what it is so it'll have to wait. It was something important, too... Eh, it's probably fine.