UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Question Is MUGEN close to its death?

MUGEN has been around for quite a long time and people have been making characters, stages etc. for it for quite some time. Right now there's a weekend community event that does not allow for inactive members (aka lurkers like me) to download stuff... Now, I'm kind of ok with it because it's only this weekend and I do understand that many members of the community don't do absolutely anything. Now, is this happening just because a large part of the community doesn't do anything or because the other part is getting smaller and smaller, doomed to eventually die? I want some opinions here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Is MUGEN close to its death?

Mugen entered in its dying state 10 (or so) years ago, but it's not like is gonna dissapear anytime soon. It will turn into a zombie at best, but it will not die so easily.

Uploads
    Comments

Strange, with Twitch should have more life.

Uploads
    Comments

back in 2005 mugen was at its peak and growing.from my experience mugen is getting killed by people stealing credit,not just that but most mugen sites use to be user friendly to all creators,know they just hate on beginners never commenting there first release or just plain but out disrespect there creations.i guarantee mugen will gain more popularity once nearly every character becomes private forcing people to eather enjoy the videos or join mugen searching or making better chars.mugen will never die because there will always be those stages or chars that surprise us

i see a couple of users disliked my comment over petty self issues rather than express there opinions on this.why is there even comment voting to begin with,my gosh!
    Last edited by Migmis2128; 20th October 2017 at 09:40.

Mugen's Alive status has been questionable for ages. I'd say it's not dead, there are way too many people who still submit content. I'd say if anything it just needs a boost.

Elecbyte is out of the question, their gone, their website is mostly inaccessible, and we have no idea who they are. Domain lookup shows us dubious looking information.

Sakirsoft is...questionable. The creator still makes occasional status updates for Shugendo, but it's hard to tell if it will get to a usable state.

Suehiro however, still makes versions of IKEMEN. Updates have been lacking this year, but that could be because this person is working on a rewrite of IKEMEN written in the GO language.

IKEMEN seems the most likely to carry on the legacy for now, so what needs to happen is:
    Suehiro getting a better connection with the non Japanese fanbase, getting a bigger online presence.
    Future versions of IKEMEN having sourcecode readily available so people can make crucial addons easier and pick up the mantle if Suehiro disappears.

IKEMEN should also add features similar to this:
    Less awful default screenpack. People should also make more screenpacks for IKEMEN
    Better color support, way too many stages and characters don't look right.
    Automatic Updating, the game checks for new characters and stages so you don't have to constantly reboot.
    Support for players with different character rosters
    Ability to download content when challenging another person using a character or stage you dont have. Would probably need DRM signatures due to people getting pissy over how their copyright infringing content is used.
    Extended online mode. Connect to servers that have their own rosters (for better balance, etc), challenge others on the online list, watch other people fight, etc.
    Streaming feature. Probably unnecessary, but I'm sure some people would use it if it was well coded.

Uploads
    Comments

Mugen gets revived at random times. Undertale and Youtubers are a prime example. Undertale Mugen is very big, with about 30% of Undertale Mugen videos getting into the 75K + View range. Whenever a new (GOOD) Undertale Mugen character is finished a ton of people join Mugen. And YouTubers who play it for shits N' Giggles are another big factor. Without them Mugen would be 100% Just SNK Orochi edits by now. But thankful it's not. Joel basically made Mugen interesting again, showing what kind of things can be made with this software. And Hobo Bros are playing it too, with about 7 episodes now each with a different pack of characters usually fitting under a theme. So no, Mugen isn't close to dead. And it won't die until eeeehhhhhh 2023.
    Check out my website, or maybe not...
    https://sites.google.com/site/flareg...bsiteofthings/

#MugenArchiveMasterRace

Uploads
    Comments

Is dead in some places and in others is barelly alive so the status is questionable.
    For example in japan mugen won't die so easy thanks the niichan users creating tons of content (exclusive for thems and people that knows the how to) in other places has died (definition of death is when the engine stop getting new content make)
    As i said the status is questionable and is mostly a zombie in this moments,while is a good engine the problem started when the 1.1 got released because people didn't advanced with it and got stuck with 1.0 (have been using 1.1 for a long time) i do agree that more content can be made but people need to learn the advantages of last version released and taking advantage of what can be done for example thanks to the league i figured that you can make chars with mmd models and in hires with low performance impact and is quite stable contrary to what people make you think because errors that i had on 1.0 barelly happened on 1.1 pr didn't happen at all (only some crash with bad coded chars)
    “Thousands of humans falling over like dominoes... ahhh... that sight was so beautiful! I thought my brain was gonna melt..!”

Uploads
    Comments

I think its not dying, but their was definitely some time when it was very popular

Uploads
    Comments

MUGEN will always be alive in my heart :)

Uploads
    Comments

MUGEN = Immortal customizable game

Uploads
    Comments

MUGEN is a software, softwares don't even "born", so how can they "die" ?

Uploads
    Comments

Uploads are flowing everyday, there's no idea it's going to extinct..XD
    Unless it's inactive..
    Ma kumwail anahne sawas, Peki rehi..
    And you are my only true friend. XD

Welcome to my blog.
    https://bradsalo.blogspot.com/2017/1...tages.html?m=1

Uploads
    Comments

If Mugen is dead, I sure as hell haven't noticed...

Uploads
    Comments

So many games out there and MUGEN just keeps me so much more entertained than my library of Steam Games lol. I don't even play MUGEN but love to pit characters against each other and create story lines in my head. Because of all this stated above I don't see MUGEN dying or even close to being dead. It's such a highly entertaining program and people just keep chugging out such unique creations.

Uploads
    Comments

Mugen doesn't die, just hibernates.

WE ARE MANY, YOU ARE BUT ONE.

Uploads
    Comments

Mugen is Infinite!!.....\o/.....

sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by ak666 View Post
    Mugen is Infinite!!.....\o/.....

sorry...

Mugen is what it takes to be infinite
    Mugen died tons of times, mostly however just blame it on elecbyte not being there, without them the engine can't go any further.

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

i can't afford a switch.

Well with such a creative community, why hasn't anyone tried making their own MUGEN update if Elecbyte is just gonna abandon it? Or at least exapnd it besides more characters and stages.
    A place for people to get together and share their original created work.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/MUGENTamamin/index/

Uploads
    Comments

Because Elecbyte hasn't released their source code to the public. Besides, mugen is closed source. Unless you make some sort of deal with them, I doubt we'll ever get to update the engine ourselves :/

Uploads
    Comments
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aka2810 View Post
    Because Elecbyte hasn't released their source code to the public. Besides, mugen is closed source. Unless you make some sort of deal with them, I doubt we'll ever get to update the engine ourselves :/
    Now we have to make another question. How do we even contact them?
    A place for people to get together and share their original created work.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/MUGENTamamin/index/