UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Hi, I wanna give kof Marco(metal slug) a new super

Hi there, I wanna give Marco a new super. As of now he has a level 1 where he dashes in for a combo super, a lvl 1 where he sends out a pow hippie, a lvl 1 where he sends a Slug tank to run u over, and a lvl3 where he turns to zombie Marco and red vomits all over you. So I'd like to give him a level 2/or level 3 super where he pulls out the LASER GUN. I have no idea on deep character coding but I am a graphic designer and I'm confident that I can make the sprites for his "laser gun super" I am very good at Photoshop n illustrator so I am pretty artistic and patient. So if I design the "laser gun super" animation sprites, is there anybody who would like to join me in this project in coding this animation in, like I said I can handle the Sprite works, I just need someone to handle the other side of things. Thank you

Default Re: Hi, I wanna give kof Marco(metal slug) a new super

you don't need a coder to do that, you can just check the doc "sctrls.doc" and look for "Explod" if you want to cast a laser animation. another software you need is Fighter Factory. it will take you a bit of time to learn, but at least you can edit your char as you want. I'm a graphic designer too, that doesn't mean you can't code. ;)

Uploads
    Comments

thanks for responding man. I actually do know how to use Fighter Factory ive edited some things before like replaced character portraits and changed sounds from the fight.snd and stuff. But I have never done something like this..... Should I start by getting the png sprites for Marco's Heavy Machine gun animation sprites and editing them by removing his heavy machine gun and placing a laser gun on his hand? oh and I also found the laser sprites from the metal slug games and I found a laser gun for him to hold.

Here I did this sprite real fast as a demo of how I want him to look during the laser super.
    https://ibb.co/dtSBHQ
    Last edited by uaguilar; 20th August 2017 at 11:21.

probably you can add extra actions/attacks by giving them a relative number (example : if the state of machine gun has number 300, you can make a copy of it and give it number 1300) then you edit it and give it a different command (example: if machine gun is half cicle forward + x, then laser can be half cicle backward + x... or else). just remember to not give the same number of another state.
    Explods work on separated animations, if you check the other states, probably there will be an helper or projectile (not just an explod) for that specific action (with Marco shooting and the projectile animations apart... you'll also need the animation for the laser hitting the opponent)... so I think it's better to make the sprites/animations of the laser and then you can use the same animation of Marco shooting. You can find another char with a laser attack and study it to find how it works.

Uploads
    Comments

may you explain "Explods" "helper" and "projectile" I know ive seen those words in the character files, but what exactly do those 3 mean? thanks for the help

Uploads
    Comments

Im adding the sprites with him shooting heavy machine gun, except hes flashing and his hair is sticking up. im animating them together now, and then adding the animation to his laser gun, which is a nice looking sci fi rifle that will also be flashing as hes shooting it. and after that I have the 4 different color lasers that he will be shooting (red, blue, yellow, green) they flash real fast. I will need help with the coding part of the laser beam, think you could help me out??! I cant wait to get this project out to the people. I want the laser to go full screen even in a 1.1 zoom stage, I do not want the laser sprites not making it to the end of the stage

uhm... if you need the laser to be extremely long, you can just make the sprites so they're 4000px width (just to be sure) or in the projectile state you can add " projscale x = 4 " (but it will stretch the image, so you might want to edit the sprites manually). But for a better precision you can make a single portion of the laser to run at an extreme velocity and "trigger1=time >0" so during the laser emission countless portions of the laser will be launched (but remember to give damage a really small quantity, or it will be instant KO because the opponent will receive as many hits as the whole time of the laser action).

about "helper", "projectiles" and "explod", check the sctrls.doc file in "docs" folder, it's all explained in there (really easy).

projectiles work this way: you'll need an animation for the character where the character launches them (this will be in "anim" part of state declaration), then you'll need an animation for the projectile (this is the "projectile"), another animation for the casting of the projectile (this is the "explod") whose position is right on the hole of the gun ( so sprpriority must be like... 3 or more, depending of other "explod" sctrl already present) aaaand the last one that is the animation when the enemy is hit (optional). but first read the "sctrls.doc" file and search "projectile", "explod").

I don't think you need "helper", unless it's more than a simple attack (not something more complex like a timer grenade, for example).

now that I think of it, you can check the code (or even paste/edit it) of some characters from XMen VS Street Figthers (like Ryu or Cyclops) which have laser-like attacks.
    Last edited by mulambo; 30th August 2017 at 18:50.

Uploads
    Comments

Ive run into an issue, man. So I'm adding the laser rifle sprites, and the marco shooting sprites... and when i saved the fighter factory, all the colors to all my sprites I added are all fucked up. all crazy colors n stuff. I dunno if its because the sprites(marco shooting, and laser rifle so far) being edited on photoshop by me first has something to do with it. i gave marco shooting sprites a flash of white on every 2nd sprite of him shooting, and now that I saved the fighterfactory it has it all discolored and you see this big ugly white box around him. On the layer rifle sprites, its the same thing, I took em to photoshop and edited them to "flash" on every 2nd sprite of the laser rifle animation. same results, discolored all fruity pebbles looking.... Know whats the problem? thanks so much for your help!!

well, before you add sprites it's always better to add the colors to the palette, but you can also add sprites with their custom palette but you have to make sure the first color of the palette is the color of the background/transparency color. I also reccomend you to make backups here and then so you can't lose a stable version of it if anything messes up. Try exporting one of the sprites, then look at it on photoshop and check the palette if they're correct, add more colors to that palette and save it, then load each new sprite and load the palette on them with photoshop, then you can add the sprites to fighter factory.
    Before you go further though, you could check some tutorials about palettes.

::edit::
    In Fighter Factory, check the settings for palettes before adding new sprites.
    Last edited by mulambo; 7th September 2017 at 12:29.

Uploads
    Comments

Thank you so freaking much for your help by the way. If you were round my area Id buy you some beers. Im re-adding the gun sprites and the marco shooting n flashing sprites but editing them on fighter factory sprite editor rather than photoshop. I was wondering if after I add all the sprites and animation, if you could just check em out for me... see if I did it right. which i think i am so far

no problem for the help, you can donate the beers on my paypal account (just kidding).
    well, the only way to check if they're right it's to open mugen.cfg (with notepad or fighter factory) from data folder, search "debug" and enable it. If anything shows up during the actions (you'll see some messages in white on the top-left part of the screen of the game) it means they're correct according to the engine.
    If anything shows up in the debug messages, post them here to see why they're wrong, if they're wrong.

Uploads
    Comments

Whats your email, man? could I send you my Marco and see if you can fix this issue? he has the laser gun, the laser beam, and the marco sprites shooting... Its a level 2 super and its down front down front + Kick. and He pulls it out and it does work! but the laser beam doesnt do any hits? it doesnt contact the opponent. and it also gets stuck in a loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWBe...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by uaguilar; 13th September 2017 at 05:54.

If the character action loops, probably there is some error in the final "ChangeState" sctrl. You should set it like

[State 0000, Back to Stand]
    type = ChangeState
    trigger1= AnimTime = 0
    value = 0

this way, after the laser action, the player returns to state 0 (Standing) when the animation (AnimTime) is done. So you can edit the AIR file, the animation of marco shooting, as much as you want, before marco returns to state 0.

If the laser doesn't move or it's looping (and I guess it's a separated animation), check "Projectile" in sctrls.doc from "docs" folder (or here http://www.elecbyte.com/mugendocs/sctrls.html ), it has all the informations to make your projectile move as you want. This will come in handy if you want to make more weapons like grenades, etc.

If the laser doesn't attack, it depends on the collision boxes. http://www.elecbyte.com/mugendocs-11b1/air.html

I would help you fixing it, but you will find more fun in making it yourself and you'll be able to edit more stuff if you just learn how to. It's not that difficult. ;)

Uploads
    Comments

I think the issue may be in the hitdef, the helper call or/even the changestate, I won't mind taking a look.

Uploads
    Comments

Mulambo, you make a good teacher and thanks Kefko, join the party. It's almost complete here's where I'm at...

Ok, I added that changestate paragraph you showed me there and yes, after he shot laser gun it did not loop. thank you.

So for his laser beam not connecting... I added the red square and blue squares around the laser beam animations, and for the hit def I opened piccolo's special beam cannon's hit def and straight up just copy and pasted it for the laser gun hit def, only thing I changed was the projanim number and changed the damage number.

ok, so now what I need help with.

1. Its a 15 hit combo, but I want it to be a 30 hit combo. How do I do that?
    2. The laser beam scales WAY too damn much if you do it in a combo! it's like there's no point in doing a combo then ending it with Laser Gun, cause it's more damaging when you shoot em with the laser gun without a combo. That's fucking dumb. How do I change this? I do want it to scale but very little.... I want you to be rewarded with good damage if you do a sick combo and end it with laser shot.

thanks for all the help. Almost done

Its a 15 hit combo, but I want it to be a 30 hit combo. How do I do that?
    For now, if I'm not wrong, Marco's shooting ends when the animation time (AnimTime) is 0. So you can just add more frames to his shooting animation (practically doubling it, this can be done simply if you edit the .air file with notepad and copy-paste the entire frames sequence).

Or you can make the animation as a loop and then in the ChangeState the trigger becomes "time=50" ("50" is just an example) instead of "AnimTime=0"

it's more damaging when you shoot em with the laser gun without a combo.
    that could be a good thing if you want a balanced characters (many people don't like overpowered chars), but it depends on entity of the damage. If it's too low, you can set an additional sctrl "P2LifeAdd" in the shooting action of Marco
    example

[State 0000,Additional Damage]
    type = P2LifeAdd
    trigger1 = movehit = 1
    value = -3

This way, each time the laser hits it will decrease an additional 3 of damage. Adjust the negative value to desired result.

Or, if you want this damage to be more after a certain attack (example State 0001) put it like this:

[State 0000,Additional Damage after State 0001]
    type = P2LifeAdd
    trigger1 = movehit = 1
    trigger1 = prevstateno = 0001
    value = -6

Mulambo, you make a good teacher
    nay, this is just basic coding. ;P
    Last edited by mulambo; 15th September 2017 at 22:14.

Uploads
    Comments

OK man thank you. for some reason all the palletes except p1 pallete has this weird issue when they either get hit, or shoot the laser beam super where they change into the colors of the p1 pallete. how do I fix that?

and also if you play as marco or fight with him, when the 2nd round starts it actually shows the animation of him shooting his laser gun while its saying "Round 2.... FIGHT" but when it says "FIGHT" he goes back to neutral position and you play as him regularly. how do I fix this?

thanks for you help man!

about palette: you can save the palette as pal file and load it for any sprite (this can be done to any palette) which has that problem. Or you can edit the sprites of the shooting so it will look like in metal slug, where the light source is from the explosions of the gun (high contrast or even / black and white contrast) and wind effect on the hair (such as for ryu when shooting hadoukens).

about intro: that's strange. check the animation and state numbers (for intros and shooting part), possibly there's some conflicts between numbers. also check the debug messages, if there's anything wrong shown up.

Uploads
    Comments

sorry dude, can you post shorter videos? my internet connection is misery here (lol).

btw, if some sprites still give the palette error, you can also add a "PalFx" effect to tweak it. You can add palette effect to projectiles and explods too (check the "Explod" and "Projectile" part in docs or play with their settings)