UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 126
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Posts
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Comments
    1

    Default Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Have you ever thought your crazy ideas would be great on Mugen? Have you ever thought it would be hard to create a character since his design?

    But have you noticed how great it would be when your project was finished?

    Tell me anything about it, even if you gave up! If we talk to each other we may be motivated to create new stuff.

    I am working on a new character but I always need to stop to study, work or anything else.

    If you have any story about original characters, please, post it here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    15
    Uploads
    0
    Comments
    0

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    If I could figure out how to make a character along with having functional spriting skills, I would do an assortment of OC's that controls like how I would imagine them in my dream fighter.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Comments
    4

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    I would love to make characters in mugen but i don't have the tools and the ability to do it but if i could i'll try to make some sprites from my favorite anime like yusuke or whatever

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Posts
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Comments
    1

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Oh absolutely I have like a million ideas for my characters, but spriting, and programming aren't my thing lol, it's too confusing ;-;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Posts
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Comments
    1

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    I know spriting is really complicated, but if you try I am sure you will get awesome results. It took me a long time to start trying and I have no regrets. I like to post my sprites on deviant art as gifs but unfortunately the mugen community is very inactive there :(

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    41
    Uploads
    0
    Comments
    7

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drahedron View Post
    I know spriting is really complicated, but if you try I am sure you will get awesome results. It took me a long time to start trying and I have no regrets. I like to post my sprites on deviant art as gifs but unfortunately the mugen community is very inactive there :(
    That's a shame. You should really post them here if you haven't begun doing that. Even if they aren't playable just having the gifs to share is an accomplishment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I have no spriting skill but I am now inspired to work on a horrible blob that will more than likely end up classed under the child art section. Lol.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    75
    Uploads
    4
    Comments
    37

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Not really.
    There are so many franchises that need representation. I think that making your own original character (that people might not even care about) is insulting.

    We need so many characters from so many franchises... Onegai My Melody, Hey Arnold, Ghost Stories, Looney Tunes, The Three Stooges, Drake and Josh, Doug, Jhonny Bravo, Speedracer, Bubble Bobble, Inside Out, Bomberman, Digimon, Monster Rancher... The list goes on and on.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    41
    Uploads
    0
    Comments
    7

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Quote Originally Posted by iara0 View Post
    Not really.
    There are so many franchises that need representation. I think that making your own original character (that people might not even care about) is insulting.

    We need so many characters from so many franchises... Onegai My Melody, Hey Arnold, Ghost Stories, Looney Tunes, The Three Stooges, Drake and Josh, Doug, Jhonny Bravo, Speedracer, Bubble Bobble, Inside Out, Bomberman, Digimon, Monster Rancher... The list goes on and on.
    I understand the desire for new roster additions absolutely. But it doesn't seem right, in fact it seems selfish to say that someone with a creative talent would be better off creating their own recreation of someone's original creation simply for the sake of your or another's sense of completionism. I do not advise this point of view, create what is in your heart rather than the heart of another. We aren't here solely to serve each other but to share.
    Last edited by okayyougotme; 28th June 2017 at 00:45.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Yup, many times. And almost always succeeded, not always with the greatest results, but still with great satisfaction at the end of it all.
    Actually I've made 22 original characters for MUGEN (2 original games + 4 original separated characters).

    If you want some mental/philosophic/moral suggestion on how to finish an original character: dream, think about that char at night before you go to sleep, imagine all the moves he/she can have, work on it continuously, check and fix it continuously and when you think it's not buggy and it got all it takes, release it.

    About making full games: it's the same, but the amount of work requires more time so take your time, invest a month in your project, give yourself fully to it, work on it like psycho. That's how I completed each game in less than a month, it's not really difficult, it just needs intense concentration, passion and effort.


    I think people should make more original content. Too many rip-offs and edits. I know many people "can't" draw, but that's a lie, people CAN draw, it's just they don't want to practice and want to get at the final part immediately, confusing an idea/concept with the real development. An idea/concept is fun but it's too easy to make.
    Development is much more fun than just having an idea in mind, because it pushes you to your limits.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    75
    Uploads
    4
    Comments
    37

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    I don't know. Sturgeon law is strong here. 95% of people make shitty original characters (be it by design or lack of coding skills). E.g.: Daniel, that girl with pink hair and other self-insert OCs

    Although I am in no way denying that good original characters do not exist (Mugena, Omega Tiger Woods and Gustavo come to mind), I would rather avoid the hassle of them. Making a fully original character takes time and, like mulambo said, someone should focus entirely on them (which most people will not actually do).

    So yeah, I am not in for more OCs in MUGEN. The risk outweights the goods, in my opinion. (Cough Gum Cough)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Posts
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Comments
    1

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Quote Originally Posted by iara0 View Post
    Not really.
    There are so many franchises that need representation. I think that making your own original character (that people might not even care about) is insulting.

    We need so many characters from so many franchises... Onegai My Melody, Hey Arnold, Ghost Stories, Looney Tunes, The Three Stooges, Drake and Josh, Doug, Jhonny Bravo, Speedracer, Bubble Bobble, Inside Out, Bomberman, Digimon, Monster Rancher... The list goes on and on.
    I desagree 100% with what you said but I respect your opinion, to tell the truth this explains a lot. I guess a great number of creators think like you because all the people I know that tried to create their own characters had no attention at all. I think it's an overreaction to say that creating a new character is an "insult", in my opinion it would be an insult if a creative person just gave up of his original characters, but its always good to know people with different points of views, thank you a lot for your opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by okayyougotme View Post
    That's a shame. You should really post them here if you haven't begun doing that. Even if they aren't playable just having the gifs to share is an accomplishment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I have no spriting skill but I am now inspired to work on a horrible blob that will more than likely end up classed under the child art section. Lol.
    I totaly agree with you, I just don't post them here because they are not completed, but one of them has all the basic moves and sprites and some extras, like intro animation, ending and time over animation and I posted 2 videos of him on youtube. If you want to take a look at him:

    Deviantart:
    http://drahedron.deviantart.com/

    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPa...7Ri6s8_Zu-v4ew

    On Deviant Art I stopped posting my GIFs, I have some other Standing Animations of new characters but I didn't post yet, it takes a lot of time to work on them. :(

    Notice me when you start your blob, I love to see mugen OCs.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    75
    Uploads
    4
    Comments
    37

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    I desagree 100% with what you said but I respect your opinion, to tell the truth this explains a lot. I guess a great number of creators think like you because all the people I know that tried to create their own characters had no attention at all. I think it's an overreaction to say that creating a new character is an "insult", in my opinion it would be an insult if a creative person just gave up of his original characters, but its always good to know people with different points of views, thank you a lot for your opinion.
    Yeah. My last post kinda explains my way of thinking better. I stand with "the bad outweighs the good".


    Plus, when it comes to OC, people will often not accept criticism and, sometimes without realizing, they get too attached to them... They are CHARACTERS, tools. Not a part of your body. It's only natural to change and improve them.

    I have several OCs and sometimes I even wish I would make one as a MUGEN character... But I think it would be selfish of me. Why would I make my "Cowgirl and Cow" when I could make something I know people would enjoy without risks (Like a Looney Tunes character. We need that sweet, sweet Duck Dodgers).


    But I am all in for good OC. I enjoy Omega Tiger Woods and Evil Kung Fu Man.
    Last edited by iara0; 28th June 2017 at 01:45. Reason: Wanted to quote

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Posts
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Comments
    1

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Quote Originally Posted by mulambo View Post
    Yup, many times. And almost always succeeded, not always with the greatest results, but still with great satisfaction at the end of it all.
    Actually I've made 22 original characters for MUGEN (2 original games + 4 original separated characters).

    If you want some mental/philosophic/moral suggestion on how to finish an original character: dream, think about that char at night before you go to sleep, imagine all the moves he/she can have, work on it continuously, check and fix it continuously and when you think it's not buggy and it got all it takes, release it.

    About making full games: it's the same, but the amount of work requires more time so take your time, invest a month in your project, give yourself fully to it, work on it like psycho. That's how I completed each game in less than a month, it's not really difficult, it just needs intense concentration, passion and effort.


    I think people should make more original content. Too many rip-offs and edits. I know many people "can't" draw, but that's a lie, people CAN draw, it's just they don't want to practice and want to get at the final part immediately, confusing an idea/concept with the real development. An idea/concept is fun but it's too easy to make.
    Development is much more fun than just having an idea in mind, because it pushes you to your limits.
    Yeah, I agree with you, but now I am really curious about your characters and games, have you ever posted videos about them on Youtube or something like that?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by iara0 View Post
    Yeah. My last post kinda explains my way of thinking better. I stand with "the bad outweighs the good".


    Plus, when it comes to OC, people will often not accept criticism and, sometimes without realizing, they get too attached to them... They are CHARACTERS, tools. Not a part of your body. It's only natural to change and improve them.

    I have several OCs and sometimes I even wish I would make one as a MUGEN character... But I think it would be selfish of me. Why would I make my "Cowgirl and Cow" when I could make something I know people would enjoy without risks (Like a Looney Tunes character. We need that sweet, sweet Duck Dodgers).


    But I am all in for good OC. I enjoy Omega Tiger Woods and Evil Kung Fu Man.
    I guess its all about personal opinion, some people just prefer different content, to tell the truth I would really like to know your OCs and I wouldn't care about any looney tune. Do you have a Deviant art account or any way I could know your OCs?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Yup, for Super Cranky Fighters (my second full game) I've made a video for each completed character. There should be a youtube video for Faidar too (my first full game), about Pingu character there are many videos on youtube, probably even for Karl Moresko (but I'm not too sure).
    Unfortunely, though, no tutorials.
    I actually don't think any more tutorials are necessary, everything a developer has to know is already out there.
    I've been asked to make some tutorials... but I'm just too lazy for that, and I would probably receive lots of questions by people which can just open the "docs" folder and start learning themselves.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Posts
    75
    Uploads
    4
    Comments
    37

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    I guess its all about personal opinion, some people just prefer different content, to tell the truth I would really like to know your OCs and I wouldn't care about any looney tune. Do you have a Deviant art account or any way I could know your OCs?
    I don't have any of those things. I think showing off my OCs would be lame.

    I can, however, mention them: My MUGEN OC would be "Cowgirl and Cow". A duo of a country girl who plays guitar and is obsessed with country songs, specially Bambee's "Cowgirl", and her cow. She sings in the background, riding her horse, while one of her cows fight the opponent on two hooves, wearing a kung fu headband. The cow fights kinda like Kung Fu Man, but has flashy hypers and supers revolving her owner singing and doing exactly what her song lyrics say. E.G.: "And I'm riding on my horse, Bang, ba do bang, And I'm shooting all around" = She enters the fray riding her horse and shoots all around with guns. "I can give you inspiration, You have to free your soul" = The cow barrages the opponent until their soul literally gets out of their body. Etc.
    But there is no way in hell I could code something like that right now! So I settle for downloading chars and edit them a bit.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Posts
    16
    Uploads
    5
    Comments
    10

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Definitely, i'd love to sometime, but I won't be doing it soon, that's for sure.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Posts
    27
    Uploads
    2
    Comments
    6

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Well, I wouldn't say original. If i was a starter to sprites(which i am) I would work on edits, and get more familiar before going on into the more advanced stages like original characters.




    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human
    stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

    -Albert Einstein

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Posts
    101
    Uploads
    12
    Comments
    121

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    This may be my favorite thread in a while. I think OCs are the essence of mugen itself, I mean it's an engine where you can
    create whatever is on your mind. I love to see what people can make, I'm always looking forward to people who want to make
    their first char and how far they can go, building their ideas, It's just amazing. Also I was making my OC years ago and I was
    sooo into it, It was my creation! However, I sadly had to give up, but I will make it someday, I just need to learn more about
    coding, since i started messing around with it just a couple of months ago.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Age
    20
    Posts
    143
    Uploads
    0
    Comments
    24

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    This is certainly an interesting thread. Mostly because while skimming the comments I've noticed many different opinions!

    As for me, I'm kinda split about this. Like someone above me mentioned, Sturgeon's Law comes into play here. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about the term 'Original Characters' are those horrendously cheap recolours of Sonic or MLP characters. They usually come with some Sue-ish backstory and personality which automatically discourages me from being interested. I'd rather have my roster filled with characters from established franchises that I am familiar with and admire, then playing with 'special snowflakes'.

    On the OTHER hand, creativity and imagination are two keywords that define the core principal of M.U.G.E.N. You are basically given a plain pizza, which you can decorate to your own liking (hungry now...).

    I do believe there's a place for original characters to shine, but it really depends on the owner's input. Is it a character that people will honestly enjoy playing with, or is it a self-insert character, created for the sole purpose of pleasing the author's ego? These are questions we must take into consideration...but hey, I've warmed up to Kung-Fu Man (who hasn't?) so you can always try!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Posts
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Comments
    1

    Default Re: Have you ever thought about creating a 100% Original Character?

    Kefko and Squishyrouge, thank you for your compliments on my thread, its the first time I see people interested in Original Characters.

    Kefko, we have the same ideas about OCs, I love to see them, even the ugly and bad coded characters. I don't know, I just like to see people trying to create something completely new. It's one of the best things I found on the mugen community, but as I said they are incredibly rare. Also, if you have a video or something to show us your WIPs on OCs, please share them with us.

    Squishyrouge, I agree with you but its the first time I see OCs like that. You are right, most people who decide to create OCs just don't care about quality and that creates a bad reputation to them, I've never thought like that and you are 100% right.

Similar Threads

  1. Character

    Original Character - Jiggly Bunny
    By Kazecat in forum Releases and News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 21st May 2017, 20:33
  2. Character creating tutorial
    By sthowp in forum MUGEN Configuration Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th June 2016, 17:52
  3. Help needed for creating a character.
    By TheRealDio in forum MUGEN Development Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th September 2015, 10:20
  4. Creating a character
    By TheRealDio in forum MUGEN Configuration Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st August 2015, 02:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •