UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default Do you enjoy balanced gameplay or imbalance gameplay in Mugen?

What type of gameplay in mugen do you enjoy? Imbalanced game play or balanced?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Do you enjoy balanced gameplay or imbalance gameplay in Mugen?

Balanced with difficulty increasing progressively.

Uploads
    Comments

My go to mugen builds would usually consist of fast, chaotic gameplay similar to MVC. I guess it would be considered broken

Uploads
    Comments

alittle bit broken is a good thing imo

Uploads
    Comments

I commonly like most characters to be balanced, unless they're bosses.
    But this is mugen, balance is too high an expectation.

Uploads
    Comments

both

I have a balanced roster for "serious" gaming and an "OP" roster to go against brutal AI and lately the later has been a lot of fun

Uploads
    Comments

Balanced all the way
    I always make sure to change my characters' attack and defence to make sure theyre all balanced.

Uploads
    Comments

Imbalanced characters attracts the kids, I have them play with each other then proceed to mop them on the floor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thebuddyadrian View Post
    Balanced all the way
    I always make sure to change my characters' attack and defence to make sure theyre all balanced.
    Sometimes there are characters that are hard to balance because the movesets themselves are too good that a good player can make use of it even with low attack and defense.

"GAO! GAO! GAOOO!"
    -Saber Lion, King of the Wild

Uploads
    Comments

Balanced only. AIs shouldn't be broken, and every character should be on an almost even ground when controlled by a player. Of course, each character has its up and downs, so it might be possibly that some will NOT be able to win a match against others. (e.g.: Kung Fu Man has no real low attacks, so it struggles against Sonic the Hedgehog)

I always test characters thoroughly, and currently I am doing a "MUGEN tournament" to measure the character's strength, and then add them to an order.

I only accept characters who:
    -Have no spammy attack methods (Quick projectiles, infintes, etc)
    -Have no brutal AI

Also, I edit characters. I usually remove skills from them (Infantry00's Spongebob, for example, got its helpers removers), or simply reduce HP, attack and defense (A Blodia I downloaded got its attack reduced from 100 to 40, for example)

I plan uploading videos about my MUGEN Tournament. I just need to find a final boss for my MUGEN.

I like to have balanced characters in my Mugen, and currently my favorite author is RYO 2005 because of his balanced characters. I almost have all of them.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by leycrimsonriver View Post
    Sometimes there are characters that are hard to balance because the movesets themselves are too good that a good player can make use of it even with low attack and defense.
    If thats the case i just make a full fledged edit of the character

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iara0 View Post
    I plan uploading videos about my MUGEN Tournament. I just need to find a final boss for my MUGEN.
    Master Hand? Idk he's the boss for my MUGEN

Uploads
    Comments

Meh. Master Hand screams Nintendo. I want something from no franchise in specific. The only got either Omega Tiger Woods or Demiurgos.

My Mugen's lore is that the whole MUGEN contest was caused by the strongest man ever, who challenged everyone to try and beat him.

I'm okay with infinites or unblockable attacks since I feel in real fights you often are dealt with and have to handle your way through that which in my opinion makes for far more interesting and entertaining fights that always turn out fresh after every replay. With that stuff balanced fights often are very predictable, boring, and repetitive. With unbalanced characters you get a better challenge, harder odds of winning and if you do manage to win, it just means you are an incredible player/gamer if you can defeat something unfair.

My favorite example is fighting wonderwoman, she has an unblockable super/hyper and spams certain attacks that can drive you nuts but if you use all your skills and think fast you can defeat her and the victory is amazingly sweet! Especially to see her on the ground and put in her place XD LOL Same for Metroid by N64Mario! Kong's character's with amazing A.I. that will really test your skills!!! Try and MKP character or a super mystery dbz character that deal insane damage! That's a real challenge right there!

Even going up against a 1 hit kill is invigorating because you have to suddenly change your whole approach and and not only land hits but dodge every attack. It's like playing the old school Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, which are the best DK games ever, even compared to the new stuff because in those levels you can't get hit once so when you make it to the very end and win, it's a true win and a true satisfaction as you as a player/gamer. Videogames these days are so tamed and have little to no consequences because they wanna play it safe and cater to players who don't like challenge for fear of losing profits.

One thing I always like to point out to others who make the argument about balance being necessary is that I can always point to those games and point out that they have broken unbalanced systems. Even highly famed arcade games have revised re-releases and updates and there are still imperfections. In my opinion art isn't perfect and that is what makes it interesting that it can break out and do things that normally are impossible and that is what creates the fun. It's the whole point of games in general, the escapism, you pay to see a movie about stuff that isn't possible or at least situations that are abnormal just so you can experience it a little for yourself and get some excitement out of it. If you really want balance take away all projectiles from every character, give them all the same reach and attacks, have them all do the same damage, and that will be a real true balanced fighter, so balanced it won't even matter who you pick LOL

So yeah, unbalanced for me.

Uploads
    Comments

One thing is unbalance, and another thing is just being plain broken.
    You can make balance, and still have differences. The argument of "make them all do exactly the same to achieve true balance" is flawed.

True balance can be a reality. Of course, some match ups will never be favourable for some characters, but that's the catch.

Examples:
    My Kung Fu Man has an AI patch. It attacks a lot and chains moves. But if you use any character who can use projectiles, no matter how weak their projectiles are, you can beat him.
    My Hulk Hogan is a simple character who can only do normal attacks and grapples, but they attack a lot. However, he is a giant thing and you can attack him before he does anything.
    My Spongebob, who I mentioned previously, got its helpers removed so that you cannot infinite-juggle your opponent with Sandy, Patrick and Squidward. This is barely a lose because Spongebob has other ranged attacks, as well as a stun attack.
    Several characters got their stats reduced to make up for something (e.g.: Tiny characters got their defense and/or HP reduced, so they require less hits to kill even if it's hard to nail them. Fast characters got their attack reduced, so you better try to attack more to compensate).

See? It isn't hard to try and get balance, while keeping a fun and interesting game. Sometimes balance can make the game even more fun, because you can have different characters for different rules, but still feel like they all do their part.

Uploads
    Comments

When I first came to Mugen years and years ago, I got a kick out of mixing utterly broken characters with less broken ones all crazy; these days, I just don't find the broken characters to be as funny as I used to, and tend to avoid them. A good overpowered, but not unbeatable, boss character is always pretty cool to see, though.

Balanced, if a char is to strong and makes everyone else look like a joke, then it goes to the recycle bin or i have to found a way to nerf him, wich is kinda annoying sometimes. The only broken char i allow in my roster is Mecha Sagat, only because he is the final boss.
    The joy of mugen is a multi franchise game. When people refuse to play with that ability, they lose a huge chunk of the fun.

I like playing balance game. However, it's always fun to control the most overpower character in the game and feel so invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by Antogames View Post
    I like playing balance game. However, it's always fun to control the most overpower character in the game and feel so invincible.
    That's very true, not everyone plays the same way. Some gamers play casually, others serious, and like you said sometimes it's not for challenge at all but just to go on an unfair killing spree. Thankfully we have these options plus the in-game options mugen provides us with such as survival, co-op, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by A x ◿ View Post
    That's very true, not everyone plays the same way. Some gamers play casually, others serious, and like you said sometimes it's not for challenge at all but just to go on an unfair killing spree. Thankfully we have these options plus the in-game options mugen provides us with such as survival, co-op, etc.
    Yeah (if I can found a friend to play with) but I really like when the cast is balance. It let you select any character not only cause it's the most powerful but it's the one you understand to most how to play and feel confortable with his/her control.

Uploads
    Comments

BALANCED1!11

Its really hard to find good Chars