UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Default The Shorte.st Problem

Lately, I've been having a hard time downloading anything off of MUGEN Archive because of shorte.st. While it's basically the same as Ad.fly, the site seems to be even more malicious, due to its' tendency to download unwanted programs onto your PC. I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but I truly don't feel safe downloading any new files for the game here.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: The Shorte.st Problem

I know how it is, I already had this problem at first. Participate a little in the threads scattered around the forum so that you are promoted to New Challenger.
    When promoted, you will no longer have to worry about Ad.fly and Shorte.st.
    http://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic35401_1.gif
    Faça do dia de hoje o melhor dia da sua vida.

Uploads
    Comments

Ah, I see. Thank you for the quick response!

Uploads
    Comments

Sorry but I can't do anything unless you have something concrete to report.

If you have a doubt about a certain page scan it online here : https://www.virustotal.com/
    And if something fishy comes up, post the report here, otherwise don't expect me to bother the site owner just because you have a feeling it might be bad.

Uploads
    Comments

Just wanted to post that I'm having similar problems with Shorte.St; Ad.Fly was a totally acceptable compromise, but every time I try to use a download link that redirects me with Shorte.st instead, I get weird malicious redirects that trigger virus warnings, lock down my browser and force me to close and are just all around obnoxious, which is really turning me off.

I'll eventually rack up enough time here to not worry about it, as mentioned earlier, but I thought it was worth adding my agreements with the issue.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by tietan21 View Post
    Just wanted to post that I'm having similar problems with Shorte.St; Ad.Fly was a totally acceptable compromise, but every time I try to use a download link that redirects me with Shorte.st instead, I get weird malicious redirects that trigger virus warnings, lock down my browser and force me to close and are just all around obnoxious, which is really turning me off.

I'll eventually rack up enough time here to not worry about it, as mentioned earlier, but I thought it was worth adding my agreements with the issue.
    It is sad that I have to repeat the same thing over and over. If you get any suspicious page, scan it with https://www.virustotal.com/ and post the report here. Otherwise it's a waste of time, nothing is going to happen.

Uploads
    Comments

Beware New download link is unsafe?

So I don't know when it happened but download links have been changed from adfly to somewhere else and since then I have been getting virus warnings with every download. I am beginning to believe this new link has viruses and along with that pop ups telling me that "I won". Please let me know what can be don't about this in case we are to be stuck with this new link for some time.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: New download link is unsafe?

You don't need to accept these Adfly ads, just wait 5 seconds or 10 seconds and click to quit the advertisement.

Another way is for you to try to get the promotion from Lurker to New Challenger to get rid of Adfly.

To receive the promotion just participate in the threads spread throughout the forum.
    http://mugenarchive.com/forums/customsignaturepics/sigpic35401_1.gif
    Faça do dia de hoje o melhor dia da sua vida.

Uploads
    Comments

Well that's what I've been doing. Thing is, it isn't adfly and I'm more concerned for the other people who aren't ready to click and go

Uploads
    Comments

You're not the first user to talk about a virus but whenever I asked users to back up their claim with a scan proof, I haven't gotten any more news from them. And I'm willing to bet I won't hear about you either.

I don't think there's really a virus, more likely you're confused about some warning message.

If you want to check if there's a real security risk, please scan any page you're suspicious about with this : https://www.virustotal.com/
    And if something comes up, please post the scan result here. If there's a real threat, then I'll forward it to the webmaster.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by RelaxedArachne View Post
    Well that's what I've been doing. Thing is, it isn't adfly and I'm more concerned for the other people who aren't ready to click and go
    From what I can recall from far back in my own lurker days (which is like, a month or so ago...) I did get redirected to something that wasn't Adfly. Don't know what the name was but it held the same purpose. When I was asked to disable my adblocker Avast didn't give me a warning notification and I just did what I usually did: ignore the whole ad until the timer goes off, download the file and then get the hell off the page :) if you could tell me exactly which site you get redirected too I might be of some use!

Uploads
    Comments

The Short se thing downloaded something to my computer called hd_video_player_3727519104. I know the forum is set up to keep leechers out but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Magnemite View Post
    The Short se thing downloaded something to my computer called hd_video_player_3727519104. I know the forum is set up to keep leechers out but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
    That isn't supposed to happen. Shorte. se is just your average ad revenue website far as I know. Are you sure the source of the download was from shorte? And is the software malicious? I'm just asking since I don't want you to have the feeling that this site is leech-unfriendly :)

Uploads
    Comments

It's definitely malicious. I even got the red warning page.

Uploads
    Comments

You people never learn do you and I have to repeat the same thing over and over again. If it's "definitely malicious" and you want it removed, scan the page with https://www.virustotal.com/ and post the report here. I've asked this 3 times already and I haven't gotten any news. And I'm willing to bet I won't get any news from you either, in which case I might need to spread some negative reputation.

If your browser downloads files without prompting you, then there are serious configuration issues on your side, and you should update your browser or remove your current addons ASAP. If your browser prompts you as it should, then simply refuse any unwanted download. I've tried myself and I didn't get any unwanted download, so I'm guessing you have configuration issues.

Those ads are just very annoying, I will agree on that, but if you want to skip them you could simply level up your account. The site needs ad money in order to allow unlimited downloads and storage, without ads we would simply have to delete at least half of the files and severely cripple your download capabilities, and you would ultimately complain even more. I know you want everything for free, unlimited, and no ads, but in real life, someone has to pay the server fees.

Uploads
    Comments

Welp, it seems Dizzy described the best solution (in no uncertain terms) above me...

As for your ad problem; I've looked at your profile and it seems you're close to leveling up your account! This will lift your status from 'Lurker' to 'New Challenger' and when that happens you won't have to worry about Shorte/Adfly at all

I suggest you hang around at the forum as long you have some spare time. Just make some small talk here and there and you'll automatically find yourself with the ability to download MUCH faster and free of ads altogether!

Uploads
    Comments

^^ this is good to know!

Uploads
    Comments

I couldn't even get to the link because the red page didn't allow me to it unless I marked it as safe.

I don't mind ads at all. But the ones you're going with are VERY intrusive.
    Last edited by Magnemite; 6th July 2017 at 13:12.

Uploads
    Comments

I couldn't even get to the link because the red page didn't allow me to it unless I marked it as safe.

Mhhh I don't mind ads at all. But the ones you're going with are VERY intrusive.
    I've looked at your original post (edited out now) and that word "paywall" is straight from the guild propaganda manual. I guess you're just here for the drama and we shouldn't expect you to ever back up your claims.

Don't post here anymore, this forum is for users who have legitimate issues, it's not meant for guild warriors.

If you're an innocent brainwashed guild member, I suggest you educate yourself here :
    https://mugenarchive.com/wiki/MUGEN:MUGEN_ARCHIVE

If you're a guild staff on a mission, then here's the clear outcome of your "total war against the archive"
    https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...,mugen%20guild
    It's about time you understand your failure and move on. The MUGEN community couldn't care less about these petty power struggles, they just want to play and have fun, no amount of propaganda and fear mongering is going to change that.

Uploads
    Comments

Wow, I think I missed the part where we are apparently at war with the Guild? This sounds awfully dramatic, in my very honest opinion...