UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

• Welcome

User Name   Remember Me?
    Not a member yet? Join us now!
    It takes less than a minute!
    Password  

Join the community now!
  • Google Search

• We're back. (again)

Dear fellow MUGEN Archivists,

Today the long overdue modernization upgrade we've all been waiting for.
    What's new?

Bug Fixes :
    -The forced line break after each embedded image is now fixed.

New features :
    -Folders : Quick sort options are now available.
    --"Recent" (default), "Name", "Popular", and "Popular-Recent"
    --"Popular-Recent" is set to 30 days for now.
    --"Recent" sorts files by "Last Reupload" date.

-Folders : Infinite scroll, no file paging.
    --When you reach the bottom of the page, click "Show More", no reload.

-Folders : Mobile-friendly changes.
    --The columns are now more compact.

-Files : Quick sort options are now avaible.
    --"Popular" (default) and "Recent" (Hello YouTube)
    --The most upvoted comments will no longer go with the wind.

-Files : Infinite scroll, no comment paging.
    --When you reach the bottom of the page, click "Show More", no reload. (Hello YouTube)

-Files : Your comments won't reload the entire page anymore
    --Posting or editing a comment is now easier and faster.
    -Files : Your image uploads won't reload the entire page anymore
    --Adding or deleting an image now is now easier and faster.

-Upload : Improved upload form.
    --You can now see the upload progress.

-Search : The search is now more flexible
    --e.g. Searching Ryuhaku Todoh without quotes will return both Ryuhaku Todoh and Kasumi Todoh.
    Searching "Ryuhaku Todoh" with quotes will only return Ryuhaku Todoh.

-[VIP exclusive] Files : VIP members can now pin 1 comment on their own files.
    --Youtube ripoff? I created YouTube.

-[Senior VIP exclusive] Search : "Metadata" and "Tags" options are now available.
    --You would like to know if another character has the same SFF file?
    You can now search for a matching CRC hash or any other metadata info.

-[Senior VIP exclusive] Search : Subfolder checkbox.
    --You can now include the subfolders in your search.

-[SYSOP exclusive] Files : Administrators can now pin 1 comment on any file.

... and more, you'll find out over time.

Optimizations :
    -Up to tens of thousands of queries per hours removed.
    --That just means the page loading speed should be faster and your general user experience should be improved.
    Examples :
    --Search form : Queries reduced from 80 to 13.
    --Upload form : Queries reduced from 148 to 15.

The optimizations were the largest part of this update,
    and required to rewrite most of the source code.
    More optimization updates are planned, the potential is there, I can feel it.
    More features, bug fixes and style improvements are planned as well, because we just can't stop.
    Do not hesitate to suggest more improvements. Most of these new features were suggested by the community.

Men must become more then men, and gears must become more then gears.

Peace.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: We're back. (again) started by That Man View original post
    Comments 56 Comments
      Finola -
      I'm certainly glad to see you around here again.
      Thank you very much for updating the site, we are very grateful!!

I think the search engine became too flexible, I mean if you search for a short name like "Ryu" a lot of characters will come out.
      https://i.ibb.co/ZVpmjLG/1234.jpg

Yes, I am clear that I can also select a category to improve the search, but I think it is a little inconvenience for the general search...

--Youtube ripoff? I created YouTube.
      LeAtomturd -
      -I would like that i can also view how many views my uploads has
      -Also sometimes it takes a long time for the website to load

Attachment 7091
      like this ^
      tehdevil -
      When I click on Search Files, it keeps on refreshing like this:
      Attachment 7090
      Imperius -
      These are some nice improvements but i've found some issues:

*On the search, hitting enter will no longer make the search.
      *Sometimes it shows a negative time that we have to wait before being able to search again, "Please wait -21 seconds before searching again".
      *I am getting some timeouts from time to time:
      "Error 524 A timeout occurred".
      "Error 522 Connection timed out".
      "Error 520 Web server is returning an unknown error".

As a suggestion of something i would like to have is another quick sort option "Size" to sort files based on their size.
      087-B -
      After this new update, I can't see any downloads. Nothing shows up on the site, and anytime I DO manage to land on a download page, I can't comment, no comments show up even if it says, say, "11 comments", and my profile pic is the default. Not sure what the deal is, I don't appear to be banned like I initially thought I was.

Proof:
      Attachment 7095
      Attachment 7096
      GhoulKing -
      hoi
      Emília human doll -
      Updating is good but now... i can't find the archives in originals looks like everything is gone!
      Dizzy -
      @087-B @tehdevil @Emília human doll
      That should be fixed now, otherwise please try to clear your browser cache. If it still persists please provide your configuration details. (browser type, version, etc...)
      @Imperius
      I am decreasing the cool down between searches. Please let me know if it's better now.

---
      We are removing the metadata search for now as it seems to cause problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.
      infernalthing -
      Oh god, no! Why did you brought infinite scroll? With pages it was so much easier to have an idea of how many characters were in a category, navigating and view the oldest uploads. Infinite scroll is the worst and I always hated it. Exploring large categories is a scrolling nightmare now.
      Dizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by infernalthing View Post
      Oh god, no! Why did you brought infinite scroll? With pages it was so much easier to have an idea of how many characters were in a category, navigating and view the oldest uploads. Infinite scroll is the worst and I always hated it. Exploring large categories is a scrolling nightmare now.
      Please feel free to request a paging option.

Everyone please feel free to provide as much feedback as possible.
      Any problem you experience, any change you don't like, anything you would like to suggest.
      ZEGA ZONIC -
      Everything looks great! But it might take me a few minutes to get used to the new update.
      Finola -
      I realized that I can no longer delete images as I used to... Is it normal?
      I was afraid of having a broken preview...

https://i.ibb.co/fD8NbYj/1.png
      Dizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Finola View Post
      I realized that I can no longer delete images as I used to... Is it normal?
      I was afraid of having a broken preview...

https://i.ibb.co/fD8NbYj/1.png
      I am going to look into this, thank you for reporting this.
      Dizzy -
      @Finola
      Could you please try again with all your add-ons disabled? The new delete button uses javascript, and it could be blocked by an add-on such as adblock.
      Imperius -
      @Dizzy, the search is working fine now with the new amount time, thank you.
      To be honest i dont like much the infinite scroll, i think that there should have an option to toggle between both the pages method and the scroll method, i like the pages more coz we can see the amount of content that is left to be seen but as this is a preference question then i think that it could be toggled so all will be happy.

And here are my suggestions, they are "already" in the first page of this thread but will make them clearly here:

*Add back the feature of hitting enter to make the search.
      *Have another quick sort option "Size" to sort files based on their size.

Will keep testing and report here new issues and/or suggestions.
      Finola -
      @Dizzy I promise I don't have any add-ons activated, I even get ads on other pages.
      I also tried to change computers, they both have different browsers.
      I am not sure if others also have this error, but I suppose I can get used to it.
      Dizzy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Finola View Post
      @Dizzy I promise I don't have any add-ons activated, I even get ads on other pages.
      I also tried to change computers, they both have different browsers.
      I am not sure if others also have this error, but I suppose I can get used to it.
      Thank you, I could reproduce the bug on the beta site, I will forward your bug report.
      Tommy Ber -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
      Please feel free to request a paging option.

Everyone please feel free to provide as much feedback as possible.
      Any problem you experience, any change you don't like, anything you would like to suggest.
      Yeah, like @infernalthing previously said, I prefer the paging system rather than the infinite scroll too. I would suggest to restore it or implement it as mobile only, like an old page that I used to visit did, or changing it as something optional, but I dont know if that is difficult to code.

Another thing, "search by total downloads" was a thing that I loved. Looking which one was the most downloaded was a type of warranty that it was good content. Kinda ditching on new uploads, but that was counterbalanced with "search by recently uploaded" as default so I could see both. "Popular by all time" isnt the same, but its a nice change.

The rest of the changes sounds neat, nice work! The only bad thing of the page is only Cloudflare and their captchas, but after that the site keeps on kickin'!
      Vogel -
      yay infinite scroll
      Um cool -
      Yeah no one likes infinite scroll because it takes forever to browse through stuff. Infinite scroll is designed for people who just want to click on one thing that comes up and click on other stuff after they clicked on that one thing AKA Youtube. I guess there's the new player vs old player who knows what they're looking for context. Maybe improve the similar files section. Instead of just similarly named files, show similar authors, characters in the same category, etc.

Also yeah, I can't delete images anymore. For some reason the images on this file broke so I just re-uploaded them but I can't delete the broken files.
      https://mugenarchive.com/forums/down...99341-thud-nrf

And another thing but I can't seem to pin comments on my own files, except my own comment. Either the wording is misleading or it's not working 100% right.
      Also minor bug, but "No comments" still stays when you post a comment.

How exactly do I search by "Metadata" and "tags?" I don't see the option anywhere.

Also silly thing, but our user profile downloads can't be sorted at all? It's somewhat out of place.
      And the site speed is so much slower than it was before. Idk if it's because of my browsing habits (multiple windows so I don't have to press back and forward over and over and I multi-task) but dang