PDA

View Full Version : The MUGEN ARCHIVE will need to evolve

That Man
Jun 05, 2015, 16:45
As you may have noticed, our website has been temporarily suspended today and I announced earlier I would make a statement about it.

To put it simply the MUGEN ARCHIVE traffic has been growing exponentially over the last 3-4 months, and that success ended backfiring as we've hit our VPS (server) cap so often recently that our host had to disable our website to prevent the whole server from crashing.

I took some immediate measures to prevent this from happening again, I have removed and/or limited a lot of features including:
-disabled who's online, visitors history, members list, some stats, and a few other things
-halved the number of files displayed per page (from 50 to 25)
-disabled file searching for lurkers
-slightly increased the delay between public download slots, only affects guests

I know these changes are going to be very, VERY, frustrating, but the alternative is to see our website suspended again, is it any better? And this is just a temporary workaround until I find a long term solution.

You don't need to read the following if you don't like "walls of text"
Our website was created in 2009 and first hosted in one of my PCs.
After but a year, the PC was no longer enough.
I had to use a professional hosting service and started with shared server.
But soon our traffic was too high for any shared server to host us.
So I upgraded to VPS, which is some kind of middle ground between shared server and dedicated server.
More powerful than shared server, but not as expensive as dedicated server.
There were four levels of VPS hosting from the cheapest to the most expensive, with higher and higher caps.
You get the picture, over theyears, I went from the cheapest to the most expensive level.
About a year ago, I've operated a huge upgrade that would soon put our site on a whole new level.
And after a few months the traffic started skyrocketing and increasing exponentially.
To put it simply, we've had more traffic over the last year, than over all the rest of the site's lifetime.

Short story long : the site traffic has now reached a level only a dedicated server can handle.

However I'm not sure I can keep funding a dedicated server for very long. The very rare donations haven't even covered 1% of the hosting fees over the years (I'm not kidding) and I doubt starting a fund raising would be of much help, since our site is mostly visited by casual leechers. Besides nobody likes donation begging.

Our site has always been ad free, which was very important to me. But as I see it, it is the only remaining course of action. I'll have to try it and see if that works. I won't go for anything invasive though, more likely google adsense and/or a simple banner. No popups, no spywares, and junks like that. But that will require a lot of preparation as I've never been into ads. I want to read documentation and hear some advice, I don't want to do anything stupid. So in the mean time I'm afraid you'll have to bear with a "throttled" website.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

The Webmaster

roger gracie
Jun 06, 2015, 00:39
i understand. whatever path you choose to take i shall give your decision the upmost respect.

thanks for helping me create my dream fighting game.

juliolopesx
Jun 05, 2016, 22:57
i undestand too, i'm starting to join the community thanks.

fastkak
Aug 06, 2016, 15:53
I'll be patient.
thank you for your site .
a lot of rare and good stuff is here.

daraku
Oct 09, 2016, 08:47
Ok...we'll be patient and thank you for this great site

evonru238
Oct 15, 2016, 08:03
how about you take away download limits

Tabris666
Oct 15, 2016, 10:31
you said
"-slightly increased the delay between public download slots, only affects guests"
but the download slots are disabled since a long time ago.
as i mentioned before the way to solve this would be disabling downloads made by chrome because chrome have a download accelerator integrated which grabs 10 download tickets at once by brute force even if the site dont allow that so the fix would be disabling acces to the site with chrome or disabling the downloads for chrome browser users

metalgypsy
Nov 20, 2016, 05:37
no of reason of this page must be of people share chars of stages or others types of elements of mugen

CantStumpTheTrump
May 14, 2017, 22:44
Actually, there is not really anything to apologize for. Since the services on this site are free, anyone here should be grateful in the first place. Slower downloads and/or slower loading pages won't dent that thought.

I dislike ads, but in this case, I don't mind them. Some ads left and right, on the top or bottom. In think many people agree with me here; unless the ads do not cover the whole page or pop-ups, it is fine.

neiogeo
May 21, 2017, 22:34
It's all good, as long as it's for the best. I understand why changes need to happen, and a site like this does require some form of backup. As long as the ads aren't too invasive, I can let them go. I don't think I'm the only one, either.