PDA

View Full Version : From the muted of M.U.G.E.N, to the Mugen Archive Community.

Sledge
Jan 01, 2017, 01:19
To the Mugen Archive "Community".
From what I have seen...
The downloads have been blocked for all inactive users,
those who never actually say anything or contribute to the site, but just download.
This change was made in an attempt to expand the community. Personally I think it will be rather ineffective.
People who are confronted this will, and already have, posted comments in an attempt to fulfill the requirements
put forth by this site's administrators. But many simply post things like "I like this character!",
or "(Insert random thoughtless comment here in a bid to increase postcount)".
And some will simply choose to wait until after the weekend. These people don't want to help out, or be a part of the community.
You see, the entire appeal of this site is that it is one of the single largest databases of M.U.G.E.N material on the internet.
That's all people who come here- 95% of the total visitors, if I remember the mods correctly- are here for.
Not to talk with others, but to play by themselves.
That's a huge part of what this site is, just a large database, a library of M.U.G.E.N works.
Not everybody has the inclination to join an online community like this one. Some people just want to play M.U.G.E.N.
I understand if authors here want respect, and appreciation for their work. All artists do.
And I understand if those who search out long-forgotten or unknown characters and upload them here for the gaming pleasure of all want some thanks.
But you have those people here who openly state their enjoyment of your work.
You don't need to hear the appreciation of people who are silent.
If they didn't want to give you their opinions before, what good will forcing them do?
On the internet, if you give something away for free, you shouldn't expect something in return.
The entire concept of M.U.G.E.N is that it is a free, open source game engine for the customization and pleasure of all.
As with any free game, there will always be those who comment and thank you for your hard work, and those who will simply take it silently.
And we've all been the latter at some point or another.
There is a truly massive number of people on the internet, and not all will speak to you,
but I believe I speak for a great percentage when I say many, lurker or not,
appreciate what you of the Mugen Archive have done for us. Thank you.
~The muted of M.U.G.E.N

P.S. These are my thoughts, and I hope you do not take offense at them. I truly love what you as a whole have done here!

SparktheDog
Jan 01, 2017, 01:50
Mmmm, yeah, this is pretty dumb in hindsight, especially for a site called M.U.G.E.N. ARCHIVE

Iphone1108
Nov 16, 2019, 02:03
Petition to change mugen archive to mugen community just to make sure no one figures it out.

UDeletionQuality
Mar 15, 2020, 16:56
I agree with a large part of what the OP mentions. Mainly in the fact that this is a resource storage for MUGEN.

Regarding the limitations imposed, there are things such as the recently introduced measure of limiting searches, which are somewhat irrelevant and without much sense. Anyone with a relatively basic understanding can use the google algorithm to search for things on the site instead of the integrated search, but I guess that it have to do with reducing the costs of the site.

There is also the fact that the OP remarked, there are lots and lots of repeated and boring posts one over another, it is really difficult for me to find topics of deep interest for me in the community. Many basic questions have already been answered, many guides have been written, and almost everything about MUGEN can be searched, so it is difficult to create discussions that are not repeated without going off-topic.
I love the site but the fact that many things seem forced makes the community feel a bit fake. In short, the community in certain factors feels distant from my personal interests. That plus the fact that I'm not a person who does enjoy socializing too much or making totally random comments. I think that in some cases forcing socialization is not good, but of course nobody forces us to be part of the active community, and even if you decide to stay with the limitations and not be part of the "active community" the site is still great. Depending on your interests you must determine if it is worth participating or not.

My final opinion is that the site is fantastic but it has its cons. It could be better, but that falls into the hands of the administrators and how they approach certain things and to what extent they can differentiate between criticism and meaningless complaints, because I do not doubt that topics like this have already passed their eyes many times.

Soul477
Mar 15, 2020, 22:46
I have feel you man

Braindeadmember
Mar 22, 2020, 17:56
they had good intentions , but that weekend event is not working out.

You see one thing is socializing because you want to , and socializing because you have to.