PDA

View Full Version : We're back. (again)

That Man
Jul 11, 2020, 13:41

Dear fellow MUGEN Archivists,

Today the long overdue modernization upgrade we've all been waiting for.
What's new?

Bug Fixes :
-The forced line break after each embedded image is now fixed.

New features :
-Folders : Quick sort options are now available.
--"Recent" (default), "Name", "Popular", and "Popular-Recent"
--"Popular-Recent" is set to 30 days for now.
--"Recent" sorts files by "Last Reupload" date.

-Folders : Infinite scroll, no file paging.
--When you reach the bottom of the page, click "Show More", no reload.

-Folders : Mobile-friendly changes.
--The columns are now more compact.

-Files : Quick sort options are now avaible.
--"Popular" (default) and "Recent" (Hello YouTube)
--The most upvoted comments will no longer go with the wind.

-Files : Infinite scroll, no comment paging.
--When you reach the bottom of the page, click "Show More", no reload. (Hello YouTube)

-Files : Your comments won't reload the entire page anymore
--Posting or editing a comment is now easier and faster.
-Files : Your image uploads won't reload the entire page anymore
--Adding or deleting an image now is now easier and faster.

-Upload : Improved upload form.
--You can now see the upload progress.

-Search : The search is now more flexible
--e.g. Searching Ryuhaku Todoh without quotes will return both Ryuhaku Todoh and Kasumi Todoh.
Searching "Ryuhaku Todoh" with quotes will only return Ryuhaku Todoh.

-[VIP exclusive] Files : VIP members can now pin 1 comment on their own files.
--Youtube ripoff? I created YouTube.

-[Senior VIP exclusive] Search : "Metadata" and "Tags" options are now available.
--You would like to know if another character has the same SFF file?
You can now search for a matching CRC hash or any other metadata info.

-[Senior VIP exclusive] Search : Subfolder checkbox.
--You can now include the subfolders in your search.

-[SYSOP exclusive] Files : Administrators can now pin 1 comment on any file.

... and more, you'll find out over time.

Optimizations :
-Up to tens of thousands of queries per hours removed.
--That just means the page loading speed should be faster and your general user experience should be improved.
Examples :
--Search form : Queries reduced from 80 to 13.
--Upload form : Queries reduced from 148 to 15.

The optimizations were the largest part of this update,
and required to rewrite most of the source code.
More optimization updates are planned, the potential is there, I can feel it.
More features, bug fixes and style improvements are planned as well, because we just can't stop.
Do not hesitate to suggest more improvements. Most of these new features were suggested by the community.

Men must become more then men, and gears must become more then gears.

Peace.

Finola
Jul 11, 2020, 14:08
I'm certainly glad to see you around here again.
Thank you very much for updating the site, we are very grateful!!

I think the search engine became too flexible, I mean if you search for a short name like "Ryu" a lot of characters will come out.
https://i.ibb.co/ZVpmjLG/1234.jpg
Yes, I am clear that I can also select a category to improve the search, but I think it is a little inconvenience for the general search...

--Youtube ripoff? I created YouTube.

LeAtomturd
Jul 11, 2020, 14:40
-I would like that i can also view how many views my uploads has
-Also sometimes it takes a long time for the website to load

like this ^

tehdevil
Jul 11, 2020, 15:44
When I click on Search Files, it keeps on refreshing like this:

Imperius
Jul 11, 2020, 16:34
These are some nice improvements but i've found some issues:

*On the search, hitting enter will no longer make the search.
*Sometimes it shows a negative time that we have to wait before being able to search again, "Please wait -21 seconds before searching again".
*I am getting some timeouts from time to time:
"Error 524 A timeout occurred".
"Error 522 Connection timed out".
"Error 520 Web server is returning an unknown error".

As a suggestion of something i would like to have is another quick sort option "Size" to sort files based on their size.

087-B
Jul 11, 2020, 17:00
After this new update, I can't see any downloads. Nothing shows up on the site, and anytime I DO manage to land on a download page, I can't comment, no comments show up even if it says, say, "11 comments", and my profile pic is the default. Not sure what the deal is, I don't appear to be banned like I initially thought I was.

Proof:

GhoulKing
Jul 11, 2020, 17:14
hoi

Emília human doll
Jul 11, 2020, 18:48
Updating is good but now... i can't find the archives in originals looks like everything is gone! :omfg:

Dizzy
Jul 11, 2020, 19:50
087-B tehdevil Emília human doll
That should be fixed now, otherwise please try to clear your browser cache. If it still persists please provide your configuration details. (browser type, version, etc...)
Imperius
I am decreasing the cool down between searches. Please let me know if it's better now.

---
We are removing the metadata search for now as it seems to cause problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

infernalthing
Jul 11, 2020, 20:03
Oh god, no! Why did you brought infinite scroll? With pages it was so much easier to have an idea of how many characters were in a category, navigating and view the oldest uploads. Infinite scroll is the worst and I always hated it. Exploring large categories is a scrolling nightmare now.

Dizzy
Jul 11, 2020, 20:04
Oh god, no! Why did you brought infinite scroll? With pages it was so much easier to have an idea of how many characters were in a category, navigating and view the oldest uploads. Infinite scroll is the worst and I always hated it. Exploring large categories is a scrolling nightmare now.

Please feel free to request a paging option.

Everyone please feel free to provide as much feedback as possible.
Any problem you experience, any change you don't like, anything you would like to suggest.

ZEGA ZONIC
Jul 11, 2020, 20:26
Everything looks great! But it might take me a few minutes to get used to the new update.

Finola
Jul 11, 2020, 20:30
I realized that I can no longer delete images as I used to... Is it normal?
I was afraid of having a broken preview...

https://i.ibb.co/fD8NbYj/1.png

Dizzy
Jul 11, 2020, 20:32
I realized that I can no longer delete images as I used to... Is it normal?
I was afraid of having a broken preview...

https://i.ibb.co/fD8NbYj/1.png

I am going to look into this, thank you for reporting this.

Dizzy
Jul 11, 2020, 21:05
Finola
Could you please try again with all your add-ons disabled? The new delete button uses javascript, and it could be blocked by an add-on such as adblock.

Imperius
Jul 11, 2020, 21:13
Dizzy, the search is working fine now with the new amount time, thank you.
To be honest i dont like much the infinite scroll, i think that there should have an option to toggle between both the pages method and the scroll method, i like the pages more coz we can see the amount of content that is left to be seen but as this is a preference question then i think that it could be toggled so all will be happy.

And here are my suggestions, they are "already" in the first page of this thread but will make them clearly here:

*Add back the feature of hitting enter to make the search.
*Have another quick sort option "Size" to sort files based on their size.

Will keep testing and report here new issues and/or suggestions.

Finola
Jul 11, 2020, 21:18
Dizzy I promise I don't have any add-ons activated, I even get ads on other pages.
I also tried to change computers, they both have different browsers.
I am not sure if others also have this error, but I suppose I can get used to it.

Dizzy
Jul 11, 2020, 21:26
Dizzy I promise I don't have any add-ons activated, I even get ads on other pages.
I also tried to change computers, they both have different browsers.
I am not sure if others also have this error, but I suppose I can get used to it.

Thank you, I could reproduce the bug on the beta site, I will forward your bug report.

Tommy Ber
Jul 12, 2020, 02:59
Please feel free to request a paging option.

Everyone please feel free to provide as much feedback as possible.
Any problem you experience, any change you don't like, anything you would like to suggest.

Yeah, like infernalthing previously said, I prefer the paging system rather than the infinite scroll too. I would suggest to restore it or implement it as mobile only, like an old page that I used to visit did, or changing it as something optional, but I dont know if that is difficult to code.

Another thing, "search by total downloads" was a thing that I loved. Looking which one was the most downloaded was a type of warranty that it was good content. Kinda ditching on new uploads, but that was counterbalanced with "search by recently uploaded" as default so I could see both. "Popular by all time" isnt the same, but its a nice change.

The rest of the changes sounds neat, nice work! The only bad thing of the page is only Cloudflare and their captchas, but after that the site keeps on kickin'!

vogel
Jul 12, 2020, 05:01
yay infinite scroll

Um cool
Jul 12, 2020, 12:04
Yeah no one likes infinite scroll because it takes forever to browse through stuff. Infinite scroll is designed for people who just want to click on one thing that comes up and click on other stuff after they clicked on that one thing AKA Youtube. I guess there's the new player vs old player who knows what they're looking for context. Maybe improve the similar files section. Instead of just similarly named files, show similar authors, characters in the same category, etc.

Also yeah, I can't delete images anymore. For some reason the images on this file broke so I just re-uploaded them but I can't delete the broken files.
https://mugenarchive.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=99341-thud-nrf

And another thing but I can't seem to pin comments on my own files, except my own comment. Either the wording is misleading or it's not working 100% right.
Also minor bug, but "No comments" still stays when you post a comment.

How exactly do I search by "Metadata" and "tags?" I don't see the option anywhere.

Also silly thing, but our user profile downloads can't be sorted at all? It's somewhat out of place.
And the site speed is so much slower than it was before. Idk if it's because of my browsing habits (multiple windows so I don't have to press back and forward over and over and I multi-task) but dang

FlareGamer64
Jul 12, 2020, 13:14
The infinite scroll is a nice feature but it also means that if you were to take a deeper dive into a category to find obscure stuff, you can no longer bookmark the page you were on. You'd have to manually scroll to get back to where you were. E.g. trying to find your own bad joke edit from 3 years ago in the joke edits section and it takes 5 minutes to find it... https://postimg.cc/N5R3zcRk

Both styles have their merits. The infinite scroll works for short term looks (e.g. if there were lots of files uploaded into one section at once and you want to see them all). However multiple pages again, is greater for longer searching sessions. I think there should be a toggle between the two.

The changes to comments is excellent. Pinning a patch file, disclaimer or author's comment or whatever will be SO useful.

The advanced search option in the categories themselves is amazing. Now you can search for a KOF character and find ones that are only CvS related! The other category filters are just baller as well. And I imagine they could work super well with the old layout too.

And now a suggestion from me. I imagine that the infinite scroll option could allow for a Category version of the Latest Files page. So you'd click the "Latest Files" header on the side of the downloads page and then you'd be taken to a page showing all the files with their preview images and descriptions as well. So that way you can catch-up if the uploads have been surging or filter it to Popular-Recent to see what's popular all-around the archive. Thoughts? I'll make a mock-up if you want.

Dizzy
Jul 12, 2020, 19:12
Thank you for your feedback.
We are planning to restore paged mode for categories shortly, along a first bug fix patch.
We are also investigating the origin of the new performance issues.

Um cool
The delete-image and pin-comment issues will be fixed shortly (pin status of all comments will be reset). About sorting profile files, I don't think that feature ever existed but I could be wrong.

We appreciate all feedback and suggestions, and will be sure to read all of it.

ZEGA ZONIC
Jul 13, 2020, 00:23
I can't add images now. When I click Add Image, it works normally, but when I select my image, nothing happens.

Finola
Jul 13, 2020, 02:59
Apparently the delete image button was corrected, for which I am very grateful.

https://i.ibb.co/9NB1V1M/Screenshot-1.png

Changing the subject...
I already released my first character, a character that is a recreation of The Kung fu Man but in POTS style.
But the bad thing is that when I try to look for my character, for having several letters and with the flexible search, my character gets lost in the search.
https://i.ibb.co/fk72k37/Screenshot-2.png
https://i.ibb.co/7KL6H8G/Screenshot-3.png

It should be noted that I looked for it in the correct section to avoid confusion, but it disappears anyway.
Honestly I really like the flexible search, but sometimes it's a problem, even some people were complaining a bit about it...

Um cool
Jul 13, 2020, 03:15
Apparently the delete image button was corrected, for which I am very grateful.

https://i.ibb.co/9NB1V1M/Screenshot-1.png

Changing the subject...
I already released my first character, a character that is a recreation of The Kung fu Man but in POTS style.
But the bad thing is that when I try to look for my character, for having several letters and with the flexible search, my character gets lost in the search.
https://i.ibb.co/fk72k37/Screenshot-2.png
https://i.ibb.co/7KL6H8G/Screenshot-3.png

It should be noted that I looked for it in the correct section to avoid confusion, but it disappears anyway.
Honestly I really like the flexible search, but sometimes it's a problem, even some people were complaining a bit about it...

Search with quotes, and you'll get more precise options.
The problem is that you've stylized the title of your file though and instead have to search "The Kung fu man~✨ (CVS/POTS)"
The other problem is it's way too flexible. Athena is there because you searched "the" A"the"na. It's always been like that I think but Athena shouldn't really be coming up at all.

Finola
Jul 13, 2020, 03:19
Um cool
Believe me, I really appreciate your clarification!
I will take your instructions into account in my future searches.

Thank you very much!

EDIT:
If I search with the quotes nothing appears...
If I search with the right name, too many results appear.

I give up :sad:

Peppermint Patty
Jul 13, 2020, 08:48
These are some nice improvements but i've found some issues:

*On the search, hitting enter will no longer make the search.
*Sometimes it shows a negative time that we have to wait before being able to search again, "Please wait -21 seconds before searching again".
*I am getting some timeouts from time to time:
"Error 524 A timeout occurred".
"Error 522 Connection timed out".
"Error 520 Web server is returning an unknown error".

As a suggestion of something i would like to have is another quick sort option "Size" to sort files based on their size.

That is not so bad, I'm getting very slow spaces with no timeouts from time to time.
The rest of the time is this "Error 524 A timeout occurred".

Dizzy
Jul 13, 2020, 11:48
I have some good news.

We've backtracked the origin of the recent performance issues. The (overly) "flexible" search modification that was recently implement was too slow. On top of that, the search engine had a vulnerability which has allowed a couple of bad users to literally "DDOS" our site manually, with nothing but their extreme dedication.

The vulnerability was patched out and the search engine will be shortly reverted to the old version which was not perfect, but was still better than what we have now.

We will hopefully deploy a new patch today that should resolve the search engine issues and fix most of the remaining bugs we've found (mostly on the category page).

I want to apologize to everyone for these frustrating days, but we are getting there. Soon we will be able to enjoy the best of this update. :drinks:

FlareGamer64
Jul 13, 2020, 11:57
I mean if it's possible I still think that category specific searching should be a thing to add. It'd make searching for CvS characters without missing something that didn't put "CvS" in the title easier for example. But if it's too much trouble, that's fine.

Dizzy
Jul 13, 2020, 12:01
I mean if it's possible I still think that category specific searching should be a thing to add. It'd make searching for CvS characters without missing something that didn't put "CvS" in the title easier for example. But if it's too much trouble, that's fine.

That option will be available, it has always been. The search engine always had a category selector. :no_clue:

FlareGamer64
Jul 13, 2020, 12:14
That option will be available, it has always been. The search engine always had a category selector. :no_clue:

Wait, really? I never knew...

Damn it that would've made things way easier for myself years ago :facepalm:.

jacf15377
Jul 13, 2020, 16:02
nice improvements

Brawllux
Jul 14, 2020, 09:32
Hope everything goes well...

Dizzy
Jul 14, 2020, 14:27
We've had a new bug fix patch today.

The search engine is restored, the performance issues and vulnerabilities were patched out.
Most remaining bugs we knew about were fixed. (sadly I just noticed a new bug with the tags, let's hope it gets fixed soon)

We should have a final bug fix patch in a week, so let's try to report as many bugs as possible in the meantime. If you notice any more bugs please let us know ASAP. Thank you.

Um cool
Jul 15, 2020, 03:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5clJ6Tu55o

So that comes up when you upload an image 256kb+

In addition, when I did add an image all of the delete buttons disappeared so I had to reload the page.

Dizzy
Jul 15, 2020, 21:14
So that comes up when you upload an image 256kb+

In addition, when I did add an image all of the delete buttons disappeared so I had to reload the page.

Thank you.
I have reproduced the first issue but not the second one. Anybody else could confirm that the delete buttons disappear? I'm trying to figure out if this is a group specific or browser specific issue.

087-B
Jul 15, 2020, 23:34
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I don't remember there being a timer on searches. I remember I could just search one thing after the other really quickly.

Was there always one and am I just dumb? It was a little bothersome that I kept searching the wrong thing and kept having to wait I think 20 second intervals to search again... turned me off of trying to search haha.

Granted, I would assume it's an optimization thing... I HOPE it's an optimization thing, cause otherwise it feels kinda pointless... I don't like my MUGEN-ing to be hindered. XD

Dizzy
Jul 15, 2020, 23:41
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I don't remember there being a timer on searches. I remember I could just search one thing after the other really quickly.

Was there always one and am I just dumb? It was a little bothersome that I kept searching the wrong thing and kept having to wait I think 20 second intervals to search again... turned me off of trying to search haha.

Granted, I would assume it's an optimization thing... I HOPE it's an optimization thing, cause otherwise it feels kinda pointless... I don't like my MUGEN-ing to be hindered. XD

It is mean to prevent "DDOS" attacks. It is absolutely essential I'm afraid or the site would be vulnerable, and we have recently detected bad users exploiting vulnerabilities in the search engine to DDOS the site.

Tommy Ber
Jul 16, 2020, 02:16
Its needed the 20 sec. timer or it could be reduced to 15/10 sec? It bothers a little when most of the time it says "wait 3 more seconds to search again" so i just refresh the page.

Also another dumb question, pressing Enter to search was never available or its just a new bug?

Finola
Jul 16, 2020, 02:24
Dizzy, will metadata search be added in another update?
I think it was very useful when looking for repeated files.

Um cool
Jul 16, 2020, 21:59
Its needed the 20 sec. timer or it could be reduced to 15/10 sec? It bothers a little when most of the time it says "wait 3 more seconds to search again" so i just refresh the page.

Also another dumb question, pressing Enter to search was never available or its just a new bug?

New bug(?).

Imperius
Jul 16, 2020, 23:45
New bug(?).

Its a feature that was modified by the last update, its on my suggestions list i made some pages ago, take a look.

Ventis
Jul 17, 2020, 07:07
Interesting update. Will look up to further updates!

Dizzy
Jul 18, 2020, 14:38
Please keep reporting all issues you may find, everything will be fixed as long as you report it. Thank you.

Note : I have found a major bug with the pin feature, right now we can only pin one comment globally, instead of one comment per file.

los39
Jul 18, 2020, 20:19
Thanks god! Praise the lord! Aleihloulia! God bless you all guys!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you all! Thank you so very much for coming back!!!! Cheers my dear friends!!! Cheers mr. Dear dizzy!💕💖😍👍😎❤😁✌

- - - Updated - - -

God Bless You All Dear Guys!...Ahem....So Sorry...I Was Really Overjoyed.....eeeheheheheheheeeeh.Ahem. Back to Work now. Best of Luck for All of Us!��������

Dizzy
Jul 21, 2020, 13:17
Today we got our final bug fix patch.

All bugs reported until now should now be fixed. Off the top of my head :
Bug with pinned comments.
Bug with ENTER button on the search form. (Thanks to Imperius )
Bug with images that exceeded the file size limit. (Thanks to Um cool)
... and many other bugs

I would like to thank those who suggested some of the modifications for this update :
kater15 for the pin comment feature.
Plusle2019 for the sorting modification. (updated files now get bumped)
... and many other members suggestions.

Please do not hesitate to post your feature requests as usual. We have a dedicated thread right there : https://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?612-Feature-requests

Thank you very much.

kater15
Jul 21, 2020, 19:12
I found a problem in the Search section. When he uses the Tags area to search, he searches normally, but when he tries to go to the next page he goes back to the normal search section or the next page shows files that have nothing to do with what I wrote.
Example: I put the word "Freedom Planet" in the Search Tags box, the first page appeared normally, but when I go to the next page, one of the two situations I mentioned above happens.

Um cool
Jul 22, 2020, 23:07
Today we got our final bug fix patch.

All bugs reported until now should now be fixed. Off the top of my head :
Bug with pinned comments.
Bug with ENTER button on the search form. (Thanks to Imperius )
Bug with images that exceeded the file size limit. (Thanks to Um cool)
... and many other bugs

I would like to thank those who suggested some of the modifications for this update :
kater15 for the pin comment feature.
Plusle2019 for the sorting modification. (updated files now get bumped)
... and many other members suggestions.

Please do not hesitate to post your feature requests as usual. We have a dedicated thread right there : https://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?612-Feature-requests

Thank you very much.

Hm... I seem to have lost my ability to search including subcategories. I don't see the check box any more.

Monstrodevo
Aug 02, 2020, 18:15
Nice!

"-Files : Your comments won't reload the entire page anymore"

Thats's one of the best parts for me!