PDA

View Full Version : The MUGEN ARCHIVE has been raided

Dizzy
Dec 28, 2019, 14:55
During the past few days we have been raided on Youtube and Discord. The raid on discord was very short lived thanks to the phone number protection, but on youtube the raid is still going on.

I am going to explain the situation quickly and take this opportunity to debunk some fake news we've heard a lot during the raids.

A few days ago we have published a video on youtube with the following description :

Android 18 by Team Z2 // DL : https://mugenarchive.com/forums/downl...
Krillin by Team Z2 // DL : https://mugenarchive.com/forums/downl...

Please do not believe the lies of the bad actors of the MUGEN community, MUGEN ARCHIVE is the only MUGEN site that provides safe and legal downloads (100% not-for-profit, no malware ads). Some bad actors in the Team Z2 have lied and tricked you without any remorse for their little political agenda. All of their claims about us are fake news and hypocritical, for example it's been years they've been ripping our database without any shame and they dare to complain when we rehost their characters legally. HDBZ characters are in the fair use domain, the characters are the property of Akira Toriyama and the Team Z2 can not claim ownership/copyright over these characters. Don't let them trick you and turn you into cannon fodder for their petty wars.

Learn more about their lies here : https://tinyurl.com/iced-the-liar
Spread the word about their lies to stop them from abusing more unsuspecting victims. Thank you.
Apparently, it has made the higher ups of the team Z2 very angry, that after years of taking their attacks passively, we finally decided to debunk their fake news, and so they have sent all their little fanatic soldiers after us.

During years we have mostly ignored the attacks and fake news these people were spreading about us, which might have been a mistake as it has allowed them to be more and more vicious and brutal in their lies, turning a part of their userbase into fanatics.

Debunking some fake news

Some fake news we've heard a lot :

FAKE NEWS "MUGEN ARCHIVE stole our characters..."
The characters are the property of Akira Toriyama to begin with so they can't be "stolen" from them. These people have huge misunderstanding of the concept of intellectual property. Besides this is coming from a site that has been ripping our database for years, quite a double standard.

FAKE NEWS "MUGEN ARCHIVE stole our characters ...and claimed them as their own"
The first words of the description are "Android 18 by Team Z2". Need I say more? :uhuh:

FAKE NEWS "MUGEN ARCHIVE sells our free characters"
Anybody can download these characters with a free account. Even the heaviest characters (+100MB) can be downloaded after leveling up one's account for free.

FAKE NEWS "MUGEN ARCHIVE makes money"
MUGEN ARCHIVE is officially registered as a not-for-profit organization.
And this is coming from people who use for-profit hosting sites illegally, quite a hypocrisy there.

FAKE NEWS "MUGEN ARCHIVE reposted our video and has added ads to it"
We have disabled ads on our videos, if you see any ad on our video, it has been added by third party copyright holders. That's how youtube works, sometimes you may get a copyright notice that states the copyright holder won't take down your video and will instead add advertisement to it, which is pretty fair, we can keep our videos and third party copyright holders can get some ad money, everyone is happy.

FAKE NEWS "MUGEN ARCHIVE is virus"
Plain fearmongering, we are the one and only MUGEN download site that provides safe downloads. And once again, this is coming from people who use unsafe hosting sites and have ignored reports from official sources about malwares on their downloads.

Why do they post fake news?
https://i.imgur.com/f6JzSU4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/S8Tr3Dr.jpgWhile it may appear they've lost their mental sanity, we don't believe in such simple minded explanations.

From experience, we learned that those who were posting fake news about us were making illegal profit off MUGEN and that we were disturbing their shady business. An example is Tabris666 which was a regular member behaving well until we opened a "Beyond MUGEN" section. At that point he started posting fake news about us, claiming we had viruses and so on. We have investigated and found out he was running a website where he was somewhat making profit from full games illegally.

And the Team Z2 scenario is most likely similar. We will soon investigate how Team Z2 handles donations and deliver a report about any illegal activity we find out.

Why did we repost the video instead of using the original?
Because we don't want to give free views to haters, it would make no sense, simple as that.

Why not remake a video?
We are busy people.

Dizzy
Dec 28, 2019, 15:42
At the end of the holidays, we will announce some drastic measures to end the harassment we've been victim of, for over three years. Some of us in the staff think it's about time we deal with this situation seriously.

Metalking98
Dec 28, 2019, 15:44
Why do people who make everything so difficult still live among us?
I wish we can all just get along and stop fighting.
Plus, I've been around in Mugen Archive for long enough to understand that it is a Place made to make everybody enjoy Mugen, not to make Profit.
And still, after all that time, I still see this place getting attacked; I hope this problem fades without growing into a massive trouble.

Dizzy
Dec 30, 2019, 17:31
We have collected (and archived) evidence that some of the team Z2 higher ups have created a system to make illegal profits by selling items related to the Dragon Ball franchise without any license to do so. The word "selling" is not a hyperbole, it's literally a commercial activity as there is no way to access the items free of charge.

We now have collected evidence that they are posting fake news and that they have illegal activities. We will carry on our investigations as we believe everything is tied together. We suspect that they have been posting fake news to abuse vulnerable persons and turn them into weapons to enforce their illegal activities. We will try to contact some of the raiders, as we believe they're just victims who got abused. But it may be difficult to have a dialogue with them as they've been conditioned to hate us. Still, we need to collect evidence the team Z2 higher ups willfully abused vulnerable persons to make a profit from it, which is considered a felony (a serious crime) in the United States and, I assume, in most other countries. This is the only way to put an end to their harassment.

Plusle2019
Dec 30, 2019, 18:59
Since when was the discord raided?

Kris Kagura
Dec 30, 2019, 19:13
I seriously don't get what's with all the pointless rivalries between the 3 big forums. I'd say MugenArchive probably does a better job at preserving content, if only because it's on our servers and we do not have to worry much about link rot. I think I still saw Freewebs and Japanese Geocities links on <>.

Plusle2019
Dec 30, 2019, 22:51
I really wish this whole fiasco was more in private

Ermin
Jan 18, 2020, 21:25
Jesus Christ, I never believed they were THIS scummy. Please follow through with these reports and give us updates. I just lost whatever remaining respect I had for Team Z2.

ranchsoil
Jan 19, 2020, 10:13
Well, I'm the author of the stages I post to the Mugen Archive (including my recently released "Fractal 0: Ghostly Startup") so I wouldn't suffer this problem. Also, the video showcasing my first stage "Interior (Red Alert)" was actually uploaded by me and I used it in this link, like I reposted my work: "https://mugenarchive.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=120710-interior-ranch-soil".