PDA

View Full Version : Feature requests

That Man
Jul 04, 2012, 03:33
The MUGEN Archive is a community based site. It is a site for users, by users. As such we are listening to the community and we want to know what features you want to see. This thread is for general purpose features requests (community oriented features can also be posted in the other related thread of this section, unless you don't know what thread I'm talking about).

Examples:
"I'd like this site to add support for that language"
"I'd like to see a shortcut to this in the homepage"
"I'd like the upload size limit to be increased to *** MB"
"You should hire more staff members"

Soul Taker
Jul 08, 2013, 14:40
"I'd like the upload size limit to be increased to 150 mb there alot of characters that are pretty big that cant be posted becuse the site cant support the size of the file

i also think you should hire more staff to put the files that have been posted on here where there suppose to go help each other to make this place more better

That Man
Jul 10, 2013, 18:15
The servers are currently under heavy stress enough. I'll consider this if we upgrade the servers, until then you could split the files into several parts. Archivers such as 7-zip can do that.

Soul Taker
Jul 11, 2013, 20:33
The servers are currently under heavy stress enough. I'll consider this if we upgrade the servers, until then you could split the files into several parts. Archivers such as 7-zip can do that.

alright

GT_Xtreme
Dec 28, 2013, 21:16
It would be good to have an area on the downloads section where we can post full mugen games.That way this website would not only be a good place to post downloads but also it would be a good way to attract more visitors in the future

TRUEMicah
Mar 05, 2014, 02:04
IMO, this forum severely lacks threads new users can interact with: Introduction, How to Get Started, etc. It'd be nice to see threads such as those here.

As of now, because of the lack of community involvement, this forum would probably function better as a blog IMO.

yaminogun
May 17, 2015, 05:40
guys! how about display most download per day,per week, per month & per year instead of all time in the sidebar of this site? hide by default the most popular file unless user expand it

Dizzy
May 19, 2015, 16:43
guys! how about display most download per day,per week, per month & per year instead of all time in the sidebar of this site? hide by default the most popular file unless user expand it

This is a great idea in my opinion, and I support it. :smile:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll forward it to the webmaster.

TheRealDio
Aug 23, 2015, 23:03
what about hosting some tourneys with a specific full game that has balanced characters? we could probably use hamachi to do the matches.

Plusle2019
Sep 17, 2015, 00:29
Ability to change your username....

TheRealDio
Sep 19, 2015, 23:25
what about adding elecbyte's kfm metadata next to a character's metadata for comparison?

bumble_vin
Sep 19, 2015, 23:51
how about adding character ratings and such ??? what if this site host a online mugen tournament to attract more members and visitors .. most download per day character and stages ..

Dizzy
Sep 20, 2015, 12:51
Ability to change your username....PM me the new name you want.

what about adding elecbyte's kfm metadata next to a character's metadata for comparison?What would be the point of having kfm stats on each and every page? :oh:

how about adding character ratings and such ???We've dropped the old star-rating system and replaced it with a modern like/dislike feature. There's no turning back to obsolete features.

what if this site host a online mugen tournament to attract more members and visitors .. most download per day character and stages ..Now that sounds like a good idea but I have never organized any tournament and I have no idea how this can be done. Could you please give me more details? And if you want to manage that tournament, that would be most welcome because I may not have the time to manage it myself. Just tell me what you need, and I shall give you the powers. :grin:

most download per day character and stages ..This is something I want too and it's definitely in the todo list. :grin: But implementing it is very expensive. It requires developers, testers, time, etc... That's something we'll have someday, but when is it going to happen? I don't know, probably depends on the donations we will receive. Just running the server is expensive enough.

TheRealDio
Sep 20, 2015, 15:15
What would be the point of having kfm stats on each and every page? :oh:
By comparing a character's metadata and more specifically sounds and animation we can judge if we should download the character or not since a lot of characters are badly made and not very impressive.

Now that sounds like a good idea but I have never organized any tournament and I have no idea how this can be done. Could you please give me more details? And if you want to manage that tournament, that would be most welcome because I may not have the time to manage it myself. Just tell me what you need, and I shall give you the powers. :grin:
there's a tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8D3-UwdFok) on how to do play mugen with others so we can follow that one. however we'd also have to decide on a mugen build with balanced characters for everyone to use.

Dizzy
Sep 21, 2015, 15:13
I don't think it would be a good idea to overload the pages tbh, and it would confuse many. Besides kfm may not be considered a relevant reference to many.

But I definitely like the idea of a tournament. However I can't manage it myself. If there are volunteers to manage such a project, just let me know, I'll set up a dedicated subforum. We could start with a modest AI tournament, and if there is significant interest, we could aim at a more ambitious real player tournament?

Plusle2019
Oct 16, 2015, 02:22
Character files:

- Showcasing win quotes if any

- re-add keywords (Not sure if it's me or not but I can't add keywords anymore)

- Ability to click on the author name to see any more MUGEN characters uploaded with their name or similar with their name (EG similar like Someguy2000 or Some Guy 2000 and not Some Guy or SG2K or just "Guy")

- Spriteswap detection system at least for KFM spriteswaps

Adding characters -

- Other (Please specify) category. Type in the franchise they belong in and it will automatically be added as a subfranchise.

- NSFW flag (Representing Morrigan or Felicia)

- Seizure warning flag ("SEIZURE WARNING")

- Joke character flag (representing a Dan image or an Omega Tiger Woods face)

Rating

- Old youtube styled Star rating over like/dislike.

- Reviews

Forum front page

- Activity feed

Filtering options

- Don't show characters with no dislikes/ don't show characters with no likes

- Don't show specific authors

- Hide specific categories

- Don't show NSFW characters

- Virus prevention

- If an executable is detected, remove the file immediately.

- If a file isn't in a .TXT, a picture file or any MUGEN related extension, the character will have to be awaited approval.

Moderation

- Moderators are allowed to set flags for characters if necessary.

Dizzy
Oct 16, 2015, 17:26
There are a lot of interesting ideas in there megaman, thanks for the suggestions. :amuse:

Just a few of observations
1. search per author is already supported
2. blocking all executables would block builds or utilities which could be legitimate and very useful, besides we have a clear security disclaimer on the page footer
3. we are not going back to star rating, this is a stone age feature, like/dislike are much more relevant and modern

For the rest it's not up to me, there are some good ideas, so I hope they end being added.

Still waiting for the most downloaded this week/month feature. :crying1:

Kireishito
Apr 19, 2016, 15:01
Hi guys!

I want to request, if possible, that you could implement an option to order the search results by "most viewed", or a way to previsualize the file I'm going to open without having to open lots of tabs to see all the options one by one.

Thanks in advance!

Starry Windy
Apr 22, 2016, 10:50
I think, it would be nice to implement a mark on like/dislike feature in the Download section (by bolding the number to indicate you liked it, for example), so that I can keep track of which file did I put thumbs up with, just in case I forgot that I have clicked the like button.

TheRealDio
Apr 26, 2016, 22:24
Can you add a seperate activity stream that's for uploads only? It gets hard to track all the new uploads on the activity stream. (Especially during the no-leech weekend)

Dizzy
Apr 26, 2016, 22:55
I want to request, if possible, that you could implement an option to order the search results by "most viewed", or a way to previsualize the file I'm going to open without having to open lots of tabs to see all the options one by one.That's a good idea in my opinion, I support it and it hope it gets implemented someday. In the meantime you can filter out results which have less than X downloads.

I think, it would be nice to implement a mark on like/dislike feature in the Download section (by bolding the number to indicate you liked it, for example), so that I can keep track of which file did I put thumbs up with, just in case I forgot that I have clicked the like button.

Like youtube right? :wink1: I like this idea and I support it since we've basically been importing most of our new features from youtube. :wink1:

Can you add a seperate activity stream that's for uploads only? It gets hard to track all the new uploads on the activity stream. (Especially during the no-leech weekend)

That feature is planned. No idea when it will be implemented though.

Thanks for your great suggestions. :grin:

Kireishito
Apr 28, 2016, 21:10
I forgot to ask, but could you implement in the future three-letter words on the search engine functionality? There are too many chars that have only 3 letters: Guy, Ryu, Ken, Oro, Dan, Gen, Yun, (SF), Mr.X (RE), Soi Fon (Bleach), Taz (looney Toons), Neo (matrix). I'm asking this because sometimes we want to see all versions of the same character and choose the best between them, otherwise we must search for each of them on each folder separately.

Dizzy
May 04, 2016, 02:24
I forgot to ask, but could you implement in the future three-letter words on the search engine functionality? There are too many chars that have only 3 letters: Guy, Ryu, Ken, Oro, Dan, Gen, Yun, (SF), Mr.X (RE), Soi Fon (Bleach), Taz (looney Toons), Neo (matrix). I'm asking this because sometimes we want to see all versions of the same character and choose the best between them, otherwise we must search for each of them on each folder separately.

This is planned and you're right about three letters names being not so uncommon. This can not be done immediately though because the similar files engine has more relevant results when short words are ignored. We basically plan to re-enable three letters search after some tweaks on that engine. Unfortunately, I can't tell you when this will be done, I don't manage any of the site code modifications. In fact, I don't know anything about coding. :sdrop:

Kireishito
May 05, 2016, 00:15
It's understandable and I must emphasize that this is not a complaint but a suggestion, still having in mind that it's possible to find those chars but it only takes a bit more of effort. I know that those things are a bit difficult to quickly be implemented, but who knows in the future (as you just said)! :laugh:

Casvalrel
May 17, 2016, 03:05
This has me fumbled up for a while now. Idk why, but when i search for characters like say Mai or Ken, the less than 3 letter rule comes into play...which in a sense can wreck havoc on what characters you want. Is there any way you can possibly removing the said rule from the search bar?

Dizzy
May 29, 2016, 14:31
Great news, the webmaster told me that due to popular demand, the character limit has been lowered to 3 letters :amuse:

Butterfly
May 29, 2016, 15:55
An "Add to favourites" feature would be nice, something like a little star icon on a character page that can be clicked and adds it to a personal favourites list would be helpful for keep track of the creations you like most, it would also be cool to explore different user lists and see if you can find something you like in their favourites this way.

...the character limit has been lowered to 3 letters :amuse:

Thanks Orochi and any other god or god-like being of the fighting games genre this is finally possible.

TheRealDio
May 30, 2016, 14:53
what about showing if a character is AI only or not along with the rest of their data on their download if it's possible?

Guilelover
Jun 03, 2016, 03:47
We should add a feature for the characters. Where you can show off combos you discovered while using them.

bumble_vin
Jun 18, 2016, 01:55
We should add a feature for the characters. Where you can show off combos you discovered while using them.

I support this. it would be great since some mugen characters don't have a movelists ..

Left4Joker
Jun 18, 2016, 03:17
I have another idea that would implement both ideas up above with some extras.

Permission to add videos linked from youtube. Like we have a tab for images, another one for videos.
Anyone would be permited to post them BUT, of course, they'll require a mod to check them and approve them.

For each video posted, a mod (me, perhaps? or another one) will receive a message about. All he needs to do is go there, watch 10 seconds and confirm if the video is correct.

This way, anyone can show moves... can show combos.. etc. and, of course, it would provide some accesses to the channels of the author of the video.

Damn.. we could even have video reviews. Who wants to be a video-reviewer? XD

luisbarretto1
Jun 18, 2016, 06:36
i like this. yeah! NOTE:if Somebody hates Steven Universe. STEVEN UNIVERSE IS IN M.U.G.E.N!

Gwarlord
Jun 18, 2016, 11:22
the only thing i can think of is better placement of characters im looking for. like a lot of naruto characters thats on this site is not under naruto. i type it in at google and it pops up. but in naruto on here its not under it. So just better organization with uploaders or however that works. Thanks

Left4Joker
Jun 18, 2016, 13:35
the only thing i can think of is better placement of characters im looking for. like a lot of naruto characters thats on this site is not under naruto. i type it in at google and it pops up. but in naruto on here its not under it. So just better organization with uploaders or however that works. Thanks

Everytime you find one on tha situation, plz PM me. I'll fix it right away ;D

Creperator
Jun 18, 2016, 16:35
I would LOVE the fact that you can put youtube videos in signatures.

Hiimyoshi
Aug 04, 2016, 12:53
Hi guys im new to this community :)

Mojkoe
Oct 07, 2016, 20:25
I think it would be cool to add a feature that allows you to add comments to people's status update. :drinks:

Zhou yun
Oct 08, 2016, 18:19
I need Mugen Nova by Bambulin bad: depressed:

metalgypsy
Nov 19, 2016, 02:57
and i need chars for the comedian of dc

metalgypsy
Nov 20, 2016, 05:34
With whom I have to speak to be heard we need me i need one comedian of dc

- - - Updated - - -

who can made one comedian of dc comics

orochi_kyo
Dec 30, 2016, 07:41
Make the "ignore" button a real "ignore" feature.
Yeah we know how some leechers took this community event thing with a "great maturity", for example this guy who were posting new threads and replying some other user threads with really disgusting photos. I did just go to his profile, hoping there was a ignore-ban button and then I pressed it, with all hope that his threads will dissapear from my sight, but NO, it didnt happen. Guess the "ignore" feature here is just banning private contact between users, but yeah, sometimes you want to block that guy that annoys you so much and you dont want to see neither their post or threads. Please do it if you can.

RedPandaDeathLord
Jan 01, 2017, 22:26
Hey can i download now? yall cucks.

UltimaEpic
Mar 08, 2017, 23:54
I'd like for us to start a... how do I describe this? A community project where we all get together and start making characters. Even complete beginners are encouraged to join in. Every week, we post betas of our characters and get feedback for them, and we can ask each other how to code certain things we want the character to have or whatever. The joy of mugen mainly comes from how you can have characters from different games fight, AND you can make your own character, and we should really try to foster a friendly community of character-makers. Oh, and every month, we hold a "Best character of the month" voting poll only characters made in this weekly project can be entered into, with different categories. Best Anime Character, Best Original Character, Best Port From A Fighting Game, Best Port From A Non-Fighting Game, Best Unique/Interesting Mechanic, Overall Best Male Character, Overall Best Female Character, and anything else I forgot to mention. Winners of these categories will get a badge added to their profile and bragging rights.

Also, can we have a section of the forum set up for online mugen duel matchmaking? A place where you can say "I'll use this character, fight me with whoever you want, I accept any challenge!", or "We'll play in this touhou/marvel VS capcom mugen Full Game, any character in this game is acceptable", or even "I'm going to use this cheap character, so cheap characters are ON(Allowed) for this fight!". A place where mugen players can meet and fight other mugen players online, and in the process, test mugen characters against human opponents, a vital part of any true testing procedure.

El Pupas
Mar 09, 2017, 21:16
Hi, I'm new. My account has maybe 2 weeks, but it occurred to me to introduce some kind of language change, in my case the Spanish, too, sounds very crazy but, put some kind of format (I do not know how to call it) that allows us "half create" Some char, same, introduce another type of way to donate, in my case because I do not have a credit card, some app to contribute points or see more publicity, I do not know if I explain.

UltimaEpic
Mar 10, 2017, 00:29
I'd like for us to start a... how do I describe this? A community project where we all get together and start making characters. Even complete beginners are encouraged to join in. Every week, we post betas of our characters and get feedback for them, and we can ask each other how to code certain things we want the character to have or whatever. The joy of mugen mainly comes from how you can have characters from different games fight, AND you can make your own character, and we should really try to foster a friendly community of character-makers. Oh, and every month, we hold a "Best character of the month" voting poll only characters made in this weekly project can be entered into, with different categories. Best Anime Character, Best Original Character, Best Port From A Fighting Game, Best Port From A Non-Fighting Game, Best Unique/Interesting Mechanic, Overall Best Male Character, Overall Best Female Character, and anything else I forgot to mention. Winners of these categories will get a badge added to their profile and bragging rights.

Also, can we have a section of the forum set up for online mugen duel matchmaking? A place where you can say "I'll use this character, fight me with whoever you want, I accept any challenge!", or "We'll play in this touhou/marvel VS capcom mugen Full Game, any character in this game is acceptable", or even "I'm going to use this cheap character, so cheap characters are ON(Allowed) for this fight!". A place where mugen players can meet and fight other mugen players online, and in the process, test mugen characters against human opponents, a vital part of any true testing procedure.

Guys, trust me, you can never overestimate the lengths humans will go to for bragging rights. We put a man on the moon and had him stick an American flag there, just so he could go back to earth for the "Suck it, Russia" party.

Also, you know what'd be a good idea for our first contest? Alternate Mode Edits. Like prefixed edits, only higher-quality and more original. For example... Swordsman Ryu, with some of his moves altered to swing a sword. Or Gun Ryu, his heavy punch having him pull a gun out of his shirt and fire it, then put it back. Making an edit like this is the first step on the road to becoming a mugen master.

CLDBLOODD
Mar 25, 2017, 04:38
Hey Im Looking For Someone Who Can Make M.u.g.e.n Character's That Would Be Apart Of My Team To Make A DBZ Game For M.U.G.E.N Anyone Wanna Help?

Soul Taker
Mar 29, 2017, 07:47

7-ZIP doesnt seem to be supported any more

Dizzy
Mar 29, 2017, 17:58
From what I understand 7-zip is no longer supported because there's no extension for that format. So the site couldn't generate thumbnails, metadata, etc... from 7 zip archives.

CantStumpTheTrump
May 14, 2017, 22:36
Maybe another option: use a third party to share files. You do not have to upload extremely large files on this site. For instance, you could use Dropbox. It releases stress on the servers, it enables people to share and download big files.

Sheograth
May 19, 2017, 08:25
Cheese.

TheCollector
May 19, 2017, 19:30
hmmm. do i have anything to recommend... perhaps a sort of follow feature? say you like a certain genre of character or stage. you could follow it and be notified of when a new character/stage is posted in that genre.

TheCollector
May 20, 2017, 19:56
another thought came to mind. what about a section for completed mugen games fans put together? I'm working on two right now. and I'd love to post them when they are complete.

Mortos
May 20, 2017, 19:59
another thought came to mind. what about a section for completed mugen games fans put together? I'm working on two right now. and I'd love to post them when they are complete.

Sorry, but full game copilations are not allowed in the site, if you have a certain file that you want to share, you can upload it, but that's it.

Mortos
May 20, 2017, 20:05
hmmm. do i have anything to recommend... perhaps a sort of follow feature? say you like a certain genre of character or stage. you could follow it and be notified of when a new character/stage is posted in that genre.

However, this could be a useful feature.

negroland
May 23, 2017, 05:54
nice to hear that, hopefully we'll get more extra support at the near future....

neiogeo
May 25, 2017, 18:23
I was making an observation, though I don't know if this helps or not:

I was wondering it there could be mroe separation in the characters and stages uploads? I've downloaded a few characters that don't work on certain mugen engines, or are from completely different custom engines altogether. For example, downloading an MK character that only works for something that isn't mugen or downloading a Mugen 1.1 character than won't work in any other mugen. I've also had the displeasure of downloading a character that isn't formatted to work out side of their own game (a Superman whose lifebar portrait extands beyond the lifebars and gets in the way of the gameplay, for example.)

It would be great if there was some sort of marker or option to designate what character works with a certain engine, by saying where it's from and how it can be used.

Also, this is a bit minor, but I would also like to see the same kind of separation, but for HD/HR stages and animated/static stages. Some SD stages aren't that good, while some HD stages aren't animated, so it'd be great to tell the difference.

tec5_5
Jun 14, 2017, 04:16
Um I know I'm new here and please forgive me but

What about having sub groups for some of the all star characters?
For example having all the Chun-Li in one section so you could easily compare witch version you want or are missing

Say any character with 10+ versions ?

Dizzy
Jun 15, 2017, 09:58
hmmm. do i have anything to recommend... perhaps a sort of follow feature? say you like a certain genre of character or stage. you could follow it and be notified of when a new character/stage is posted in that genre.You can already subscribe to any category to get new files notifications.

I was making an observation, though I don't know if this helps or not:

I was wondering it there could be mroe separation in the characters and stages uploads? I've downloaded a few characters that don't work on certain mugen engines, or are from completely different custom engines altogether. For example, downloading an MK character that only works for something that isn't mugen or downloading a Mugen 1.1 character than won't work in any other mugen. I've also had the displeasure of downloading a character that isn't formatted to work out side of their own game (a Superman whose lifebar portrait extands beyond the lifebars and gets in the way of the gameplay, for example.)

It would be great if there was some sort of marker or option to designate what character works with a certain engine, by saying where it's from and how it can be used.

Also, this is a bit minor, but I would also like to see the same kind of separation, but for HD/HR stages and animated/static stages. Some SD stages aren't that good, while some HD stages aren't animated, so it'd be great to tell the difference.

You can click on the character info tab, under the metadata, to see the MUGEN version. As for characters which are meant for a specific full game, they should be converted before being uploaded here. But the content is provided by the community and the uploads will only be as good as the uploaders are. We staff members are fixing many issues daily, but a lot of bad things can still get through. :sdrop:

Plusle2019
Jun 18, 2017, 19:49
Merge BGMs into addons

lol

emulator
Jun 21, 2017, 16:25
I'd like to be able to spoiler text and maybe images, I think it can make posting and reading posts more fun.
Allow for multiple image uploads instead of uploading just one image per upload.

Also, better tagging system.
If anyone here has ever used a booru site, you know what I'm talking about.
It just makes searching for files more easier.
By far my favorite searching / tagging method.

sgern
Jun 24, 2017, 17:19
It would be cool if, for existing fighting games, there were separate categories for each character, with the stages/graphics nearby (so if you went to the Street Fighter 2 section, you'd see a section for each character containing every version of that character with any AIs included, a stages section containing all stages with BGMs included, and a graphics section containing lifebars, screenpacks, etc.) instead of having all the characters at once, and everything else spread out around the site. It would make it much easier to build the full roster from a specific game.

JoshuaW2002
Jun 25, 2017, 05:37
OROCHI

Deathshotzero
Jul 24, 2017, 01:00
The option to change account name.

- - - Updated - - -

something to help estimate how many infraction i have and how long will it take to get rid of them.
thank you

Cebix
Nov 29, 2017, 03:54
I made a couple of suggestions here, though it appears I may be getting banned for saying it so idk if it is worth posting, but here is the link :P

https://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?19156-Having-multiple-problems&p=58533#post58533

Also the Discord needs updating and improving in my opinon, perhaps adding more rooms and categories, promoting talking and such. Great work you are doing btw!

Lichtbringer
Jan 04, 2018, 23:21
Is it possible to add something like a "rescan file" option for Uploaders to add things like the Movelist to characters that where Uploaded before this feature where added?

kater15
Jan 05, 2018, 05:13
Is it possible to add something like a "rescan file" option for Uploaders to add things like the Movelist to characters that where Uploaded before this feature where added?

Well, if you're talking about updating a file already uploaded before, this option exists for those who have the Creator title.

Lichtbringer
Jan 05, 2018, 18:21
Well, if you're talking about updating a file already uploaded before, this option exists for those who have the Creator title.

To bad that most of the Older Files where not Uploaded by creators. =/

Dizzy
Jan 05, 2018, 23:16

I think he's talking about the option "regenerate metadata". Only moderators have access to that command and it is unlikely it will be expanded to other groups because it is pretty server intensive and could be abused by a malicious uploader to slow down the site.

Lichtbringer You may want to know that the staff is working on regenerating the metadata and thumbnails of all old files. But since our database is so huge and certain files require a manual fix, it takes a lot of time to get everything covered. If there is a particular category that is missing a lot of move list, just let me know which one and I will run the batch regenerator on that category.

Lichtbringer
Jan 06, 2018, 16:17
I think he's talking about the option "regenerate metadata". Only moderators have access to that command and it is unlikely it will be expanded to other groups because it is pretty server intensive and could be abused by a malicious uploader to slow down the site.

Ok I did not know that this feature is so server intensive, thx for the quick reply.

Lichtbringer You may want to know that the staff is working on regenerating the metadata and thumbnails of all old files. But since our database is so huge and certain files require a manual fix, it takes a lot of time to get everything covered. If there is a particular category that is missing a lot of move list, just let me know which one and I will run the batch regenerator on that category.

It seems that all files from the all categorys that where added before the metadata update are affected by this, the only exceptions seem to be files that where uploaded by mods and Admins, but they probably updated them manually, but I would have to check all Files in all categorys to be sure.

rambart
Jan 12, 2018, 01:17
I'd like this site to add a filter for the latest files column.

Sol Badguy
Jan 12, 2018, 03:02
I'd like this site to add a filter for the latest files column.

everybody to the shelters till this electro hurricane has passed over

rambart
Jan 12, 2018, 04:55
everybody to the shelters till this electro hurricane has passed over

how is this kind of thing allowed in the first place? its not the first time something like that happened ,is it all because of that profile leveling crap ,people upload useless crap for useless bragging and then complain about not having enough money to support the site and then asking for donations to get new HDs to keep going with this stupid crap even more? WTF

Dizzy
Jan 12, 2018, 05:50
No off-topic discussions here please, this thread is for features requests only. And we'll never discriminate the content, period. That's objectively impossible.

rambart
Jan 12, 2018, 16:14
No off-topic discussions here please, this thread is for features requests only. And we'll never discriminate the content, period. That's objectively impossible.

Yeah because filters are considered as form of discrimination, GOOD FOR YOU

heyman1231
Jan 13, 2018, 19:44
I would like if you made it easier to search for characters from a certain show or game. Iv found that searching doesn't work to well.

Dizzy
Jan 28, 2018, 19:28
I would like if you made it easier to search for characters from a certain show or game. Iv found that searching doesn't work to well.

The internal search engine only checks files, not categories names, but it has a category selector so you should be able to find a category. I agree it's not very convenient though, and our internal search engine is pretty outdated overall.

I have added a google search bar as an alternative, so if the internal search fails, try the google search.

Vanquish777
Feb 07, 2018, 22:52
Giving the ability for people to delete comments on their uploaded files to avoid conflict and harrassment. You guys actually said you were planning something like this and more back then.

RedClaw
Feb 08, 2018, 01:27
Something like "most downloaded characters of the month" would be nice. I mean, like that "Most Popular Files" list in the downloads page, but monthly.

Dizzy
Feb 08, 2018, 04:01
Something like "most downloaded characters of the month" would be nice. I mean, like that "Most Popular Files" list in the downloads page, but monthly.

We already have this : https://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?16084-Another-MUGEN-ARCHIVE-upgrade

aka2810
Feb 17, 2018, 13:33
I feel like we need some sort of Forward Messaging System in place for all users for when Community Weekend hits or any important event in order to cut back on confusion. Since there are many people here that don't use the forums as often as others.

Dizzy
Feb 17, 2018, 13:41
I feel like we need some sort of Forward Messaging System in place for all users for when Community Weekend hits or any important event in order to cut back on confusion. Since there are many people here that don't use the forums as often as others.

There's already an huge notice during community weekends, but only users of the "Lurker" group can see it. Everything is detailed with as much details as possible, it's just people nowadays can't be bothered to read more than two lines of text, especially the newest generation. :amuse:

aka2810
Feb 17, 2018, 13:44
There's already an huge notice during community weekends, but only users of the "Lurker" group can see it. Everything is detailed with as much details as possible, it's just people nowadays can't be bothered to read more than two lines of text, especially the newest generation. :amuse:

Ah I see. No wonder. Thanks for letting me know about that. Its been a while since I had lurker status :sdrop:

Xion117
Mar 27, 2018, 22:01
adding a voting/suggestion for most desired new character. like a monthly thing. then the top voted could give a bit of spark in the creators, since theyll see theres a serious fanbase for this fighter etc. im still fairly new so there could be something like this i havent found. if there is one then it would have a larger impact front and center as an important main menu button. would give visitors a larger sense of belonging and purpose and overall nudge people positively in the direction of an interactive member rather than ghosting it lurker style like so many do. just an idea i noodled up. hope this can help your team better the site. it truly is a great archive. :)

TheWhiteDevil27
Mar 27, 2018, 22:45
adding a voting/suggestion for most desired new character. like a monthly thing. then the top voted could give a bit of spark in the creators, since theyll see theres a serious fanbase for this fighter etc. im still fairly new so there could be something like this i havent found. if there is one then it would have a larger impact front and center as an important main menu button. would give visitors a larger sense of belonging and purpose and overall nudge people positively in the direction of an interactive member rather than ghosting it lurker style like so many do. just an idea i noodled up. hope this can help your team better the site. it truly is a great archive. :)
That sounds like a great idea! I would love to see something like that on this website too!

Dizzy
Mar 30, 2018, 05:42

Do you mean a character of the month poll? That's the community domain so you may feel free to create such polls.

Note that if you click "more" at the end of the featured characters banner, you'll see the list of the most popular character over the last ~30 days. The popularity score is based off up-votes among other things.

Xion117
Mar 30, 2018, 07:28
Do you mean a character of the month poll? That's the community domain so you may feel free to create such polls.

Note that if you click "more" at the end of the featured characters banner, you'll see the list of the most popular character over the last ~30 days. The popularity score is based off up-votes among other things.

well the idea i was thinking was aimed for characters not yet created. more of a way for like you said to upvote a character that the community would like to see created. that way maybe someone whos a good character builder might see the top character votes and build one of them. plus it would be another way for the community to interact with each other. for instance as a random example ive seen. theres a very nice marge character that is very well made except the english version of her hasnt been created yet and ive seen a couple of comments on getting her once shes in english. they could forum it but it might not get noticed by a potential creator. but with a menu for voting for builds there idea of an english dubbed marge might be picked up on easier. the forums do work for this idea i was just thinking expanding it to its own section could open new doors for new and desired fighters.

but the featured characters section is indeed a nice touch to the site. ive found more than a few really well made fighters there :) basicially that type of interface but for voting for best unmade character idea.

- - - Updated - - -

again im new, where do i find character of the month and what is it exactly? most popular character?

XiconDestoroyah
May 07, 2018, 18:12
I don't know if this has been requested yet, but is it OK to only have the option to like or dislike AFTER a download to avoid biased reviews? There are people disliking things without even downloading them.

Endercreeper9999
May 07, 2018, 19:28
I don't know if this has been requested yet, but is it OK to only have the option to like or dislike AFTER a download to avoid biased reviews? There are people disliking things without even downloading them.
That wouldn't exactly fix much to be honest; you can click the download button, immediately cancel it from your browser, and then still have the option to like/dislike.

XiconDestoroyah
May 07, 2018, 20:53
That wouldn't exactly fix much to be honest; you can click the download button, immediately cancel it from your browser, and then still have the option to like/dislike.

It would at least lower the amount of biased reviews. Not to its entirety but a small amount. There are some people who wouldn't even bother to click the download button, even if it's an instant cancel. But, then again, there might be something I'm missing that can be an alternative solution. In fact, I'm going to think and I'll come back to see if it's a good solution.

-Edit-

OK, so. The only thing I have for an idea is that staff members can easily see on a file the users who liked or dislike a file and if those people have downloaded it or not. If they didn't download it, something can just say "no" next to the user's name, but if they did download it, instead of a "no" it can say how long the time was between the download and the like/dislike.

Now this is only from the things I can think of. If you guys don't have the time to implement this or it would be too much of a hassle, then I understand.

ALEXWJoker
May 29, 2018, 09:53
I'd like to see the Latest Files change to match the section you are looking in. So if I go to stages I only see the latest stages not everything that's been uploaded recently.

Not sure how easy that would be to do, but I think it could be useful.

Dizzy
May 31, 2018, 04:46

That would be very difficult considering the download logs are trimmed regularly. :sad:

I'd like to see the Latest Files change to match the section you are looking in. So if I go to stages I only see the latest stages not everything that's been uploaded recently.

Not sure how easy that would be to do, but I think it could be useful.

Isn't every section sorted by latest files by default. :no_clue:

KingR
Aug 13, 2018, 19:31
I was wondering if there was an unsubscribe button for threads? My inbox gets loaded with emails from Mugen Archive and while I've turned off the option to get emails from threads I still get some.

Dizzy
Aug 15, 2018, 18:44
I was wondering if there was an unsubscribe button for threads? My inbox gets loaded with emails from Mugen Archive and while I've turned off the option to get emails from threads I still get some.

Sure. :smile:
https://mugenarchive.com/forums/subscription.php

Juu-bei7
Aug 16, 2018, 09:08
I feel that the search function on this site would be greatly improved if there was a way to filter out types of files (chars, stages, add-ons etc). Or add a new column in the search results for the type of file
because this has been an issue with characters that have their respective stages where it is hard to tell if it's a stage or a character file. It would help save a great deal of time for uploaders that check to see beforehand if a file already exists and hopefully reduce the number of duplicate uploads as well.

EDIT: and before anyone suggests the "search category" feature, i will point out that it wont return results from the subcategories it may contain (example, I want to search Iori across all KOF games, but if you search from the SNK chars page there will be no hits. general search works fine but you get chars AND stages and even stuff from other series)

Dizzy
Aug 16, 2018, 12:36
I feel that the search function on this site would be greatly improved if there was a way to filter out types of files (chars, stages, add-ons etc). Or add a new column in the search results for the type of file
because this has been an issue with characters that have their respective stages where it is hard to tell if it's a stage or a character file. It would help save a great deal of time for uploaders that check to see beforehand if a file already exists and hopefully reduce the number of duplicate uploads as well.

EDIT: and before anyone suggests the "search category" feature, i will point out that it wont return results from the subcategories it may contain (example, I want to search Iori across all KOF games, but if you search from the SNK chars page there will be no hits. general search works fine but you get chars AND stages and even stuff from other series)

Our internal search engine is entirely custom and was designed almost a decade ago. For the internet, ten years are like a century, which is why it is so limited. But I have some good news, modernizing the search engine is in the TODO list. :very_good:

Preview thumbnails will be added to the search results (suggested by Megaman) and some metadata filters will be added (number of sprites, animations, etc...). Your suggestions are excellent and will be added to the todo list. There will be a file type filter and it will be possible to include subfolders in the search. :very_good:

Plusle2019
Aug 16, 2018, 17:13
Our internal search engine is entirely custom and was designed almost a decade ago. For the internet, ten years are like a century, which is why it is so limited. But I have some good news, modernizing the search engine is in the TODO list. :very_good:

Preview thumbnails will be added to the search results (suggested by Megaman) and some metadata filters will be added (number of sprites, animations, etc...). Your suggestions are excellent and will be added to the todo list. There will be a file type filter and it will be possible to include subfolders in the search. :very_good:

How about sorting by date modified (Oldest character made to newest or vise versa) I'm trying to make a roster consisting of old characters.

Gene Worm
Aug 20, 2018, 23:08
Hey, so I'm not sure if these suggestions were posted yet because I only skimmed through the pages, but I have a couple that I think would make the site a bit better for uploaders:

The ability to change and delete their own files at will:

Sometimes the search engine acts weird for me and I don't see that creation is already on the site until I've already re-uploaded it. There was also a time or two where I uploaded a file that was modified by accident, and I am unable to change it, so now everyone is just stuck downloading this file with a dumb modification. Or perhaps if a creation gets updated, the author would have to re-upload it and have to call out for an admin to come terminate the old version for them? To me, this is just a hassle and I don't see any reason for it.

I think it would save a lot of time and hassle for uploaders if they could simply delete or change a file if they believe they have made a mistake. It would also mean that admins/mods wouldn't have to constantly be bothered to delete stuff that was re-uploaded by accident, or be PM'd to delete a file so the uploader can upload a new version.

Another reason I suggest this is because I learned from a fellow user and an administrator that users can be banned for re-uploading a vague "too many times", which is a logical rule for people who are mindlessly spamming content that's already on the site. But, this can be rather nerve-wracking when trying to upload certain files, because as I said before, sometimes the search engine fails to find what I search for and stuff can be re-uploaded by complete accident. Especially since this isn't mentioned on the Upload Rules announcement page, and I've even been warned by other users to make sure not to upload duplicates.

This is yet another reason to allow people to remove a file that they have uploaded (obviously a non-mod/non-admin user shouldn't be able to delete another user's upload). It takes the stress off, so if they upload a file and realize it's already been uploaded, they can just delete it without getting the akukin. If anyone, has any thoughts they'd like to share on this, I'd love to see it.

Dizzy
Aug 21, 2018, 15:42
Hey, so I'm not sure if these suggestions were posted yet because I only skimmed through the pages, but I have a couple that I think would make the site a bit better for uploaders:

The ability to change and delete their own files at will:

Sometimes the search engine acts weird for me and I don't see that creation is already on the site until I've already re-uploaded it. There was also a time or two where I uploaded a file that was modified by accident, and I am unable to change it, so now everyone is just stuck downloading this file with a dumb modification. Or perhaps if a creation gets updated, the author would have to re-upload it and have to call out for an admin to come terminate the old version for them? To me, this is just a hassle and I don't see any reason for it.

I think it would save a lot of time and hassle for uploaders if they could simply delete or change a file if they believe they have made a mistake. It would also mean that admins/mods wouldn't have to constantly be bothered to delete stuff that was re-uploaded by accident, or be PM'd to delete a file so the uploader can upload a new version.

Another reason I suggest this is because I learned from a fellow user and an administrator that users can be banned for re-uploading a vague "too many times", which is a logical rule for people who are mindlessly spamming content that's already on the site. But, this can be rather nerve-wracking when trying to upload certain files, because as I said before, sometimes the search engine fails to find what I search for and stuff can be re-uploaded by complete accident. Especially since this isn't mentioned on the Upload Rules announcement page, and I've even been warned by other users to make sure not to upload duplicates.

This is yet another reason to allow people to remove a file that they have uploaded (obviously a non-mod/non-admin user shouldn't be able to delete another user's upload). It takes the stress off, so if they upload a file and realize it's already been uploaded, they can just delete it without getting the akukin. If anyone, has any thoughts they'd like to share on this, I'd love to see it.

Don't worry about doing some mistakes, everyone does, even the staff members. Obviously the more you upload, the more mistakes we will tolerate.

It won't lead to a ban unless it is blatant vandalism, for example if 90% of your uploads are bad and you persistently refuse to learn anything from it.

KingR
Aug 24, 2018, 18:56
Sure. :smile:
https://mugenarchive.com/forums/subscription.php

Thank you!

Gene Worm
Aug 25, 2018, 00:51
Don't worry about doing some mistakes, everyone does, even the staff members. Obviously the more you upload, the more mistakes we will tolerate.

It won't lead to a ban unless it is blatant vandalism, for example if 90% of your uploads are bad and you persistently refuse to learn anything from it.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that, as that does relieve some of the stress. But even still, has any thought been given to letting uploaders update and delete the files that uploaded? I feel like that would still be an easy way to prevent mistakes from happening, and that way, admins/mods wouldn't have to merge/disapprove/remove every single file if a user discovered their mistake and simply removed the item themselves? If not, that's fine, I'll just contact an admin/mod if I notice a mistake like that happening again and have the item removed. Just wanted to know if my suggestion would be technically viable or valid.

Juu-bei7
Aug 26, 2018, 22:21
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that, as that does relieve some of the stress. But even still, has any thought been given to letting uploaders update and delete the files that uploaded? I feel like that would still be an easy way to prevent mistakes from happening, and that way, admins/mods wouldn't have to merge/disapprove/remove every single file if a user discovered their mistake and simply removed the item themselves? If not, that's fine, I'll just contact an admin/mod if I notice a mistake like that happening again and have the item removed. Just wanted to know if my suggestion would be technically viable or valid.

As much as I understand your position (In fact i've experienced these issues firsthand as an uploader myself), I'm afraid that it may open a new can of worms. There are people, creators and non-creators alike, who want to have stuff removed from this site, and it's already demonstrated that they can create accounts to attack and pressure our contributors into doing so (fortunately the admins here have the sense to keep these files online). Giving the option to delete your uploads would make these attacks more effective and lead to more content lost which is the exact opposite of what the mugen archive was intended for: a robust, immortal source for the community to download mugen content from.

A more realistic solution is to have a time limit on the option to delete your files, say, one hour, so after that it is up here permanently unless it needs to be updated or something. That way it gives leeway to uploaders to fix any errors they make, while not bending over to those who seek to vandalize this site with takedowns.

Dizzy
Aug 27, 2018, 09:32
Indeed, if this was implemented then we would most certainly lose a major part of our identity : the one and only stable download platform for MUGEN, not another collection of dead/rotting links.

Either you're new to the MUGEN world and never heard of its nonsensical drama or you very well know and have an agenda. Whichever it is, I'm afraid it's not going to happen as long as there are so many MUGEN warmongers out there.

Juu-bei7
Aug 28, 2018, 07:31
Either you're new to the MUGEN world and never heard of its nonsensical drama or you very well know and have an agenda. Whichever it is, I'm afraid it's not going to happen as long as there are so many MUGEN warmongers out there.

I'll let you be the judge of that :sdrop:

I've got another suggestion of my own - a preview function for uploads. The second you upload your file, the page would automatically generate metadata and images from the archived file (as opposed to
generating after posting it publicly) and you can check for any errors if they exist. Something along the lines of that. It would definitely relieve some stress for uploaders, myself included, who have to report their files with broken metadata and wait for them to be taken down or fixed.

It is not a big priority however, as my issue seems to be related to the archive file I'm using (MA doesnt seem to like .rar for some reason which is my preferred format) and easily bypassed.:very_good:

Dizzy
Sep 04, 2018, 02:05
I've got another suggestion of my own - a preview function for uploads. The second you upload your file, the page would automatically generate metadata and images from the archived file (as opposed to
generating after posting it publicly) and you can check for any errors if they exist. Something along the lines of that. It would definitely relieve some stress for uploaders, myself included, who have to report their files with broken metadata and wait for them to be taken down or fixed.

It is not a big priority however, as my issue seems to be related to the archive file I'm using (MA doesnt seem to like .rar for some reason which is my preferred format) and easily bypassed.:very_good:

Images can be deleted by the uploader, and the upload rules specify that if the images are not generated properly for any reason, then the uploader must add proper thumbnails themselves. If you upload a file, you must be prepared to add your own thumbnails if necessary, the upload rules have a link to a guide that explains how to extract a thumbnail in a few seconds. :smile:

Juu-bei7
Sep 04, 2018, 09:31
I was more referring to the stats such as # of sprites and sounds, raw file size, etc.. which don't show up at all in the metadata, and there is no way to edit those. Hence my suggestion to add a metadata-generating feature so you can tell if theres something wrong with the archive. As it is it's kinda stressful uploading a file which everyone thinks is corrupt :nervous2:

Mr.Giang
Sep 11, 2018, 02:29
Can we creators merge our own files? That has always been something I want to do. While I do aware that creators can update their own characters, doing so doesn't have as huge impacts as posting the update on the front page, yet it also doesn't notify the character's audience base so they will definitely unable to know about it. By implanting this feature, this can help creators gain more audience as well as notify their based audiences for a specific amount of time before they can self-merge the file while the mods will have less merging works to do.

Koshty
Oct 15, 2018, 19:03
Now when looking for sites and such that have customizable stuff that you can download i like testing and seeing my luck so what i would wish for that could be a nice addition to the site is a Random [SUBJECT] button now you could either do it for every category or do it for the types of file like for example characters stages and etc
it would give the less seen amazing stuff more of a chance to appear in all the piles of useless stuff

TheGamingPaladin
Oct 31, 2018, 02:26
only thing i would like to see is if the search parameters could single out characters for specific builds, either being Win, 1.0 or 1.1, as it sucks running into a character you want, only to find out the character isnt compatible.

also seeing file sizes in "similar files" would be nice.

UltimaEpic
Nov 06, 2018, 01:07
You know this youtube series, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpZvV15A-j8 Melee Highlights of The Week?

We need a Mugen Highlights of the Week, and each new weekly video on this should show off the latest and best characters, and advertise things in development, and give a shoutout to an old great character of your choice. Each weekly new video can also have its link placed at the top of the page, between the "Authors and uploaders deserve your support" and "the MUGEN ARCHIVE download service is completely free" bits. That way, more people will see the best mugen stuff out there, and people will want to be on the video, giving people an end goal.

Mugen lacks an end goal, but this can give it one.

AugresiV
Nov 11, 2018, 20:34
A way to donate more than once. Personally, I really love the site and I want to help, beyond just having a status or a rank but just show appreciation. This is for those of us who can't throw down for the lifetime status immediately, but want to keep helping financially in some way, especially with the server move and post-maintenance. It shouldn't have to be because of a user wanting 'extra perks. He or she feels compelled to donate at anytime, but not limited to one the monthly VIP or the lifetime membership, but wants to show gratitude and appreciation for the site, admins and moderators and the work they put into the site's server and upkeep, as it's not easy to do.

Gene Worm
Nov 11, 2018, 21:30
I think it would be helpful, though not crucial, to have a feature that allows one to search for files by their def and/or folder name (e.g. kfm or kfm.def, lolwut or lolwut.def, etc.). I only suggest this because there have been a couple cases where a character has multiple names, and the name used for the archive isn't the same as the name used for say, the displayname or the folder. Again, this isn't anything seriously crucial, but it might come in handy. Especially when looking through folders of stuff to see if it's already on the Archive before uploading.

Palette
Jan 07, 2019, 23:31
I got a few things to note out for quality-of-life changes (and cause I'm a demanding [email protected]#$e).

Biggest thing for me is having an added tag that shows if this file is compatible with 1.1 or 1.0 or Winmugen, etc. This has especially infuriated me with stages, that do not state if they are for 1.1 or not. And for someone that is a 1.0 elitist like myself, it's royally annoying to download a stage, implement it, run mugen, and then crash because the stage is for 1.1 only. I know that this is techincally done with some files that include the version compatibility in their description, but a small extra tag on the file information would help immensly for someone that just wants a quick checkup if this file is compatible or not.

The next thing to ask is a better search engine (if it isn't here already). It would be neat to have a search function that finds any matches of text upon a file, regardless if that search term is found on the title, author, description, etc. I've noticed that a few times on searching things, looking for the author name doesn't work on the basic search, but searching it on the author search bar does. I hope this doesn't sound confusing, but it's hard to explain. Basically, I wish for a search engine that finds any occurence of the text in all parts of the file presented on browser, rather than selected parts.

Final thing for request is a huge goddamn chocolate cookie a weekly file recommendation. I notice the top bar of characters (as probably everyone else has), and see that it has remained with the same character spotlights for like 2 months. I like the concept of showcasing characters, and wish to see this expanded to a periodical showcase of other files (characters being top priority, but stages and screenpacks could be nice, too). It doesn't even have to be weekly (bi-weekly is fine, too), and the process can be hand-picked or even automatic, if possible (like the recommendation can automatically show random files every so often that have at least 100 likes more than dislikes. 18+ excluded). I believe this would greatly showcase more characters to the masses that may have not known/care of said characters, and possibly grow the community by just a slight bit.

Dizzy
Jan 07, 2019, 23:48
I got a few things to note out for quality-of-life changes (and cause I'm a demanding [email protected]#$e).

Biggest thing for me is having an added tag that shows if this file is compatible with 1.1 or 1.0 or Winmugen, etc. This has especially infuriated me with stages, that do not state if they are for 1.1 or not. And for someone that is a 1.0 elitist like myself, it's royally annoying to download a stage, implement it, run mugen, and then crash because the stage is for 1.1 only. I know that this is techincally done with some files that include the version compatibility in their description, but a small extra tag on the file information would help immensly for someone that just wants a quick checkup if this file is compatible or not.

The next thing to ask is a better search engine (if it isn't here already). It would be neat to have a search function that finds any matches of text upon a file, regardless if that search term is found on the title, author, description, etc. I've noticed that a few times on searching things, looking for the author name doesn't work on the basic search, but searching it on the author search bar does. I hope this doesn't sound confusing, but it's hard to explain. Basically, I wish for a search engine that finds any occurence of the text in all parts of the file presented on browser, rather than selected parts.

Final thing for request is a huge goddamn chocolate cookie a weekly file recommendation. I notice the top bar of characters (as probably everyone else has), and see that it has remained with the same character spotlights for like 2 months. I like the concept of showcasing characters, and wish to see this expanded to a periodical showcase of other files (characters being top priority, but stages and screenpacks could be nice, too). It doesn't even have to be weekly (bi-weekly is fine, too), and the process can be hand-picked or even automatic, if possible (like the recommendation can automatically show random files every so often that have at least 100 likes more than dislikes. 18+ excluded). I believe this would greatly showcase more characters to the masses that may have not known/care of said characters, and possibly grow the community by just a slight bit.

The metadata should provide some compatibilty info. Click the (?) icons for more details and if you still can't figure it out please let me know. Besides that, the character info tab under the metadata usually has compatibility info, granted it was properly filled by the creator.

Modernizing our search engine is on the todo list but I can't specify a date sadly.

And finally I will update the featured characters soon, it's already on my priority todo list. :smile:

hegalica
Feb 19, 2019, 21:35
Would it be a good idea to have the first post of each topic pinned?
I mean, when topics have multiple pages, you might miss first post by jumping in a topic with multiple pages.
Would pinning first post help people reminding what the topic is about?

Just for example.
https://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?35608-Official-upload-suggestions-thread-REDUX-(NO-REQUEST-!!)&p=105276#post105276

Now this example has it in the title, but in other cases, if people skipped first post, they would miss the red letters.

Just a thought I came up with.

Dizzy
Feb 23, 2019, 13:26
Would it be a good idea to have the first post of each topic pinned?
I mean, when topics have multiple pages, you might miss first post by jumping in a topic with multiple pages.
Would pinning first post help people reminding what the topic is about?

Just for example.
https://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?35608-Official-upload-suggestions-thread-REDUX-(NO-REQUEST-!!)&p=105276#post105276

Now this example has it in the title, but in other cases, if people skipped first post, they would miss the red letters.

Just a thought I came up with.

Alright, but it might cause some confusion so if users complain about it then I may have to disable it.

hegalica
Feb 24, 2019, 11:56
It does look a bit confusing now.
How about separating first post and replies, leave some space between, different color or some other way to make it stand out?

Dizzy
Feb 24, 2019, 21:13
It does look a bit confusing now.
How about separating first post and replies, leave some space between, different color or some other way to make it stand out?

I don't think that's possible without a code modification, all posts share the same css. :sad:

hegalica
Feb 26, 2019, 13:36
Would something along this line help?

.posts .postbit:first-child {
margin-bottom: 150px;
}

.posts .postbit:first-child .postbody{
background: #ffeb90 none;
}

.posts .postbit:first-child .postbody:before{
clear: both;
content: "First post";
text-transform: uppercase;
font-size: 24px;
text-align: center;
font-weight: bold;
}

daisuke1960
Mar 05, 2019, 15:48
Please be sure to be able to delete the uploaded file for some reason.
(Things posted by the person who posted)
I am using machine translation

Dizzy
Mar 05, 2019, 18:05
Would something along this line help?

.posts .postbit:first-child {
margin-bottom: 150px;
}

.posts .postbit:first-child .postbody{
background: #ffeb90 none;
}

.posts .postbit:first-child .postbody:before{
clear: both;
content: "First post";
text-transform: uppercase;
font-size: 24px;
text-align: center;
font-weight: bold;
}

No, all posts share the same css, there is no way to change the color of the first post without changing the color of all other posts, except if the core code is modified which I can't do at my level. I may request this feature but I wouldn't hold my breath as we have much more important changes in the making. Sorry. :sad:

hegalica
Mar 05, 2019, 23:12
The css code should in theory only work on the first post of each page because of this ".postbit:first-child"

But, it's ok. It was just a suggestion :)

Dizzy
Mar 12, 2019, 00:14
The css code should in theory only work on the first post of each page because of this ".postbit:first-child"

But, it's ok. It was just a suggestion :)

I have searched the style editor and I couldn't find that class, so I assume it doesn't exist. Maybe it is intended for another brand of forum software. Anyway I have disabled this option because I find it pretty confusing without a way to highlight the first post. Sorry.

hegalica
Mar 13, 2019, 02:40
Yeah, it was confusing :sdrop:

That code was made by a friend who editted a copy of this page by adding the css code
He showed me how it would look.
But, maybe it doesn't work on the software?

silver64
Apr 19, 2019, 21:52
Idk if anyone has already asked for this, but it would be nice if the search feature got 2 updates
1. If you search for something under "characters", then it should include all of the subcategories under it; the same applying to if you selected a category like "touhou project" you should get results from the subcategories "touhou project hd" and"touhou fanmade redesign" too.
2. When you search, you should be able to sort how they appear to like in downloads (i.e. add "sort by" to search so you can search by date, file rating, downloads, etc.).

Juu-bei7
Apr 19, 2019, 22:09
Idk if anyone has already asked for this, but it would be nice if the search feature got 2 updates
1. If you search for something under "characters", then it should include all of the subcategories under it; the same applying to if you selected a category like "touhou project" you should get results from the subcategories "touhou project hd" and"touhou fanmade redesign" too.
2. When you search, you should be able to sort how they appear to like in downloads (i.e. add "sort by" to search so you can search by date, file rating, downloads, etc.).

Agree on both points. In fact I had made the exact same suggestion on the first one, because sometimes versions of characters get spread out across multiple categories (the edits section and their base game, in particular) so I have to run a general search in which case I end up getting many irrelevant results, sometimes pages of them u.u

TheGamingPaladin
May 07, 2019, 07:25
i may have already stated this, but i feel being able to sort stages and characters by the version they run on would help, also stages by their variables, such as 320x240, 640x480, etc.

Dizzy
May 10, 2019, 20:16
i may have already stated this, but i feel being able to sort stages and characters by the version they run on would help, also stages by their variables, such as 320x240, 640x480, etc.

That's a great suggestion, thank you, however from what I've heard that would be extremely difficult to do since it would require to completely change our systems.

This might be implemented someday (I really hope so), but we already struggle to implement much more important changes, so I can't make any promise. :sad:

TheGamingPaladin
May 11, 2019, 23:25
That's a great suggestion, thank you, however from what I've heard that would be extremely difficult to do since it would require to completely change our systems.

This might be implemented someday (I really hope so), but we already struggle to implement much more important changes, so I can't make any promise. :sad:

rats, well hope that one day it does happen, it would surely make surfing through content much easier, cause right now it's a crap shoot.

hegalica
Jun 01, 2019, 01:07
Would it be possible to get a date of the last upload on subcategories?
I like to browse through them
But if it says when the last upload or update was, I wouldn't have to open them each time. :)

Dizzy
Jun 02, 2019, 19:49
Would it be possible to get a date of the last upload on subcategories?
I like to browse through them
But if it says when the last upload or update was, I wouldn't have to open them each time. :)

This is planned but we have issues with the development process, at this time I have idea when the site will get this long overdue update. :sad:

hegalica
Jun 03, 2019, 02:27
Ok, thanks for the reply.
I (or we) just need to be patient :)

idontknowhatimdoing
Jul 01, 2019, 14:13
Could we get some moderators just for the 18+ section? This way we could skip all the drama that is happening with it or at least slowly rebuild it knowing there is always people making sure everything is according to the rules. (I'm sure theres a lot of people who would vollunter for that, myself included)

ALEJNOVE
Sep 27, 2019, 18:49
Me gustaría que cuando le doy "me gusta" a un personaje, la página web me marque con otro color indicando que ya tiene mi voto. Porque sino luego de un tiempo, a veces me olvido y vuelvo a descargar el mismo archivo...

Um cool
Sep 30, 2019, 03:46
Can there be a search by file type feature? (Character, stage, and other)
Just searching in the general category field doesn't work the same way.

Dizzy
Sep 30, 2019, 22:09

This feature actually exists in the beta site, a lot of improvements were added to the search engine such as searching the metadata, searching tags, optionally including subfolders, and a file type filter. Sadly I don't know when these improvements will be installed on the live site. :sad:

Maybe we currently lack testers or further changes are planned.

Um cool
Sep 30, 2019, 23:42
This feature actually exists in the beta site, a lot of improvements were added to the search engine such as searching the metadata, searching tags, optionally including subfolders, and a file type filter. Sadly I don't know when these improvements will be installed on the live site. :sad:

Maybe we currently lack testers or further changes are planned.

Hmmm.... can... I be a tester????? Or something...? I guess????

Dizzy
Oct 11, 2019, 21:43
Hmmm.... can... I be a tester????? Or something...? I guess????

That's very kind of you, but that was just speculation. Truth is we haven't heard any news about the development for a while now. :sad:

ExonDerp
Oct 12, 2019, 23:41
I feel like the "sort by:" bar should be at the top of the list of characters instead of at the bottom, so users don't have to scroll all the way down to sort.

Dizzy
Nov 14, 2019, 22:57

I have noticed some changes in the beta site recently, maybe a release is planned...
Here's a preview of the new search features. :amuse:

I feel like the "sort by:" bar should be at the top of the list of characters instead of at the bottom, so users don't have to scroll all the way down to sort.

This is planned and I could do this modification myself, but the current sorting system has issues, for example it still uses the deprecated rating system. You can expect a major modernization of the sorting system, but I can not announce a release date sadly. :sad:

UltimaEpic
Nov 16, 2019, 14:59
Some Mugen Fullgames have stages with Platforms on them.
The Stages are programmed with code that can be recognized by characters programmed to recognize these platforms and properly land on them, rather than falling through them.
At least, I think that's how that works.
There's a Super Mario 1-1 level playable in Mugen, but it takes up a character slot.
Anyway, however it works, can there be a category (Or Tag) for Stages With Platforms, and Platform-Compatible Characters?

Um cool
Nov 19, 2019, 14:48
If users aren't supposed to upload in the base characters category why not just "lock" it? Or display a message "Please upload your character to the right category?" Would that lock all the subcategories or naw?

Dizzy
Dec 01, 2019, 18:05
If users aren't supposed to upload in the base characters category why not just "lock" it? Or display a message "Please upload your character to the right category?" Would that lock all the subcategories or naw?

We have no such option right now and I think bad/lazy uploaders would just use the next category available (Capcom).
The system was changed though, so if you click "upload" from the navigation bar, there's no preset category, now we'll see if we get significantly less characters uploaded to the root folder. I just checked and the root folder has 9 pages of content that has yet to be sorted out by the staff. :mega_shock:

JULIANCROSSTITAN
Dec 06, 2019, 16:09
When I use the internal search engine and select for example "Characters" it says something like "no files found." This is because it is searching only in that caterlogy and doesn't search in sub-caterlogies. This should be added in so people can find who they're looking a bit faster.

EYD_Valkyrie
Jan 15, 2020, 16:56
Is it possible to enforce the use of tags for files? Almost none of the new uploaded files have them. It would be good if I could immediately see if this char I'm checking out is A.I only, or how many buttons it uses, or is it hi- or low-res, among other things.

Dizzy
Jan 16, 2020, 19:11
Is it possible to enforce the use of tags for files? Almost none of the new uploaded files have them. It would be good if I could immediately see if this char I'm checking out is A.I only, or how many buttons it uses, or is it hi- or low-res, among other things.

Thank you for the suggestions but I don't think we can realistically enforce any tag when our small staff has already so many problems to fix.

We could automatically detect the var(59) setting but I'm afraid that wouldn't be entirely accurate. If you can suggest a more accurate way to detect automatic AI, please let us know.

VIP members can generate the movelist so they can see how many buttons are being used.

And you can already tell the resolution from the stage metadata or from the character mandatory preview.

When I use the internal search engine and select for example "Characters" it says something like "no files found." This is because it is searching only in that caterlogy and doesn't search in sub-caterlogies. This should be added in so people can find who they're looking a bit faster.

We have no directory recursive search for now, our developers have tried to implement it, but it didn't work out well, they're currently looking for a more stable way to implement this feature.

EYD_Valkyrie
Jan 17, 2020, 08:08
No, sadly I don't have any suggestions for the AI thing myself. Anyway, thanks. Appreciate the response.

UnrealGGecko
Mar 11, 2020, 16:14
Possible to add an icon or write in the file info if a stage has a music file or not? Would be really helpful for me as I tend to download stages with music included :)

borderoflife
Mar 25, 2020, 01:10
It would be interesting to have a random character/stage feature, a character/stage of the day(a random picked character/stage on the home for a day), a list mode on the download section or a show more chars/stages per page function, review of chars on the home page and being able to update your uploaded files. Also i think mugenarchive needs a way to not have "forgotten content", i mean it has so much content that some chars/stages remain "buried" or unnoticed between all the newer stuff and you have to scroll a lot to find it.

ZEGA ZONIC
Mar 25, 2020, 01:19
It would be interesting to have a random character/stage feature, a character/stage of the day(a random picked character/stage on the home for a day).

That is a great idea!

Also, we should have a Person of the Day kind of thing.

EYD_Valkyrie
Mar 25, 2020, 09:44
What about indicating very well-made and good-quality uploads with a sign or tag of some sort? The GTA V Mods site does this, they give their best files a golden star to show it's been verified sweet.

borderoflife
Mar 26, 2020, 04:02
Tags would be very useful like using a tag for the fighting style: "boxing","muay thai","karate" or just characteristics of the char: "elf", "robot", "bald","blonde hair","monster" or a tag to indicate if the char has ai or not: "ai", "noai".

EYD_Valkyrie
Mar 26, 2020, 15:37
Tags would be very useful like using a tag for the fighting style: "boxing","muay thai","karate" or just characteristics of the char: "elf", "robot", "bald","blonde hair","monster" or a tag to indicate if the char has ai or not: "ai", "noai".

The AI thing is already shown in the file info. As for the rest, I think it would be too much headache for the uploaders. It's not up to me though, let's see what the higher-ups think.

Rapper
Mar 29, 2020, 01:01
can you add a new category? is that the game of the characters that I want to upload is not

- - - Updated - - -

and I also have trouble uploading an HD character that weighs 149MB

how many mb can you upload?

can it be solved?

Dizzy
Apr 18, 2020, 21:43
Our developers are currently working hard to optimize the website to make it faster but they haven't forgotten about your feature requests. Here are some screenshots of the incoming features from the beta website :

Modern sorting options for the download area
Requested by Plusle2019 and Um cool
6640 6641
Also in the above pics, a "pinned comment" feature for uploaders and moderators, requested by kater15 :smile:
Some new search options for VIP members.

More will follow. Stay tuned and please keep providing your suggestions. :smile:

ZEGA ZONIC
Apr 18, 2020, 21:47
Our developers are currently working hard to optimize the website to make it faster but they haven't forgotten about your feature requests. Here are some screenshots of the incoming features from the beta website :

Modern sorting options for the download area
Requested by Plusle2019 and Um cool
6640 6641
Also in the above pics, a "pinned comment" feature for uploaders and moderators, requested by kater15 :smile:
Some new search options for VIP members.

More will follow. Stay tuned and please keep providing your suggestions. :smile:

Nice! :very_good:

ZEGA ZONIC
Apr 18, 2020, 21:50
Speaking of features, we should have a wiki of some of the members of the Archive.

ZEGA ZONIC
Jun 15, 2020, 23:02
We should have a favorites files tab on our user page. And a favorites files function where we can mark files that we like.

JtheSaltyy
Jun 21, 2020, 17:37
I wanted to expand upon what ZEGA ZONIC was inferring. I also wish for some sort of Favorites function. This could apply to a certain file or forum thread, and there could be a favorites section in the user’s profile page that can either be visible or invisible to outside viewers. Not only will this be an easy way for a user to show their appreciation for a certain thread or file by favoriting (this could be a separate counter shown in the thread/file), but it also allows them to easily jump to said threads and files without searching for them, just for simple convenience.

infernalthing
Jul 11, 2020, 20:16
Can we please have a paging option instead of infinite scroll when navigating uploads? I really hate infinite scroll and it makes exploring large lists a nightmare.

Dizzy
Jul 11, 2020, 20:18
Can we please have a paging option instead of infinite scroll when navigating uploads? I really hate infinite scroll and it makes exploring large lists a nightmare.

Thank you for the feedback, and I agree this should be an option.