PDA

View Full Version : Another HDD upgrade

That Man
Jul 20, 2016, 01:23
Hello MUGEN Archivists,

Today, the HDDs needed to be expanded once again.
I'm impressed, you always fill the HDDs much faster than expected.
An incident happened though and we were offline longer than expected. Host API is buggy and remote hardware upgrades are always a bit risky. I apologize for this issue beyond my control. Whenever an incident happens, keep in mind you can get updates on our official twitter account.

https://twitter.com/mugen_archive

Now may be the time to donate (http://mugenarchive.com/forums/payments.php) if you can.
Patronage and corporation patronage options are now available as well.
Sponsors will be listed on the leaderboard. And if you know of corporations to sponsor us, please let them know about us. The benefit is a dedicated sponsor column on the front page.

Patronage is a much better option to support the site in the long run.

Men must become more then men, and gears must become more then gears.

Peace.

Left4Joker
Jul 20, 2016, 04:52
I'm impressed, you always fill the HDDs much faster than expected.

Well that's probably cuz of some lunatic addicted uploaders like me ^^' sorry, I guess?

I wish I had a better job to help with donations :/ I love this place
( university life, you have time and will but no money to do anything )

biotech
Jul 20, 2016, 16:07
:thumbup:

Sol Badguy
Jul 20, 2016, 18:08
:psy:

Plusle2019
Jul 24, 2016, 18:19
Have you guys thought about using Cloud storage?

Sol Badguy
Jul 25, 2016, 14:51
Have you guys thought about using Cloud storage?

:huh:

you have other great ideas to ruin this site?

Left4Joker
Jul 25, 2016, 15:20
I believe that this is exactly where we are different than other sites.

We have our own database. And it does not matter if the whole internet goes down. Our database will remain intact.

Sol Badguy
Jul 25, 2016, 15:45
yeah makes you wonder what this dude is truly thinking
sometimes it sounds like he's on a sabotage mission :hmmm:

Plusle2019
Jul 25, 2016, 15:56
So now I am on a sabatage mission because I think Cloud storage could be a nice idea?

Nope, I just feel like MA could have more storage space with Cloud rather than HDD. I mean, if it were me, I would of used Cloud instead, and I wouldn't worry about if the Internet would go down because if the Internet goes down, how would people be able to download characters and stages in the first place? Just a thought. I'm fine if MA would rather use HDD. MA is not controlled by anyone but the admins, and I'm not the one spending any money for the servers. Heck, I don't even know much about storage spacing but I heard Cloud has some great and secure storage.

You see, this is why I get a sick feeling to my stomach when I am near a MUGEN group or community, I have those feelings that people are gonna make me look like I'm out to get them or troll them ever since this one dude I was accused of being. Please don't do this stuff to me. I don't wanna deal with it on the Archive too.

menoseljimmy
Jul 25, 2016, 16:12
yes cloud storage would be best for something like this. community driven sites like this grow in size very fast and its hard to do the manual labor to keep it up and running(expanding disks, upgrading storage, etc). what cloud solutions are you looking at? i am an IT professional and would be more than happy to help/answer any questions.

Fight on!

Plusle2019
Jul 25, 2016, 16:15
yes cloud storage would be best for something like this. community driven sites like this grow in size very fast and its hard to do the manual labor to keep it up and running(expanding disks, upgrading storage, etc). what cloud solutions are you looking at? i am an IT professional and would be more than happy to help/answer any questions.

Fight on!

Exactly this. Seeing this also makes me want to see Cloud storage even more than HDD. It's pretty much "Do you want a bunch of people rapidly uploading stages and characters and still have your storage up and running or do you want people uploading a bunch of stages and characters causing you to have to probably upgrade your storage every 3 days?"

menoseljimmy
Jul 25, 2016, 16:20
Exactly this. Seeing this also makes me want to see Cloud storage even more than HDD. It's pretty much "Do you want a bunch of people rapidly uploading stages and characters and still have your storage up and running or do you want people uploading a bunch of stages and characters causing you to have to probably upgrade your storage every 3 days?"

i guess it just relies on the database software the admins are using and if they can migrate to cloud. maybe admins can chime in?

Sol Badguy
Jul 25, 2016, 16:24

Fight on!
I thought megaman was talking about free cloud mf mega & co
that's a definite nono everything would be wiped out over the night because too many downloads
if you mean paid cloud I dunno I guess it depends how expensive it is I don't know much about these stuff

menoseljimmy
Jul 25, 2016, 16:27
I thought megaman was talking about free cloud mf mega & co
that's a definite nono everything would be wiped out over the night because too many downloads
if you mean paid cloud I dunno I guess it depends how expensive it is I don't know much about these stuff

well, first i would look at how much space you are currently using and then you can look at anything from MS OneDrive to AWS(Amazon Web Services) to even Google Drive.

Left4Joker
Jul 25, 2016, 17:53
I have no info about those stuff, but I'm not sure it's viable. We have around 30,000 files right. Some are small, and some are really big (+80mb)
We are talking about SOME terabytes of storage, with a constant flux of downloads.

Files have been downloaded here more than 5 million times.

I can't talk for our almighty owner, That Man, but I guess we are cool as we are right now.

Haysuo
Aug 02, 2016, 21:28
I don't see the problem in using Dropbox or SpiderOak , I use those two to upload some extra character's and stages that I don't want in my current Mugen game , and they take up as much space as you need , imo, Now 30,000 Files idk about that , but it's worth a try with Dropbox :oh:

rush1981
Oct 09, 2016, 17:48
it depends how many characters/stages ecc.. you want to put in, i have an 250GB HDD but i think is too small, i am an mugen fanatic