PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular Files needs to go

Mr.Giang
Nov 01, 2018, 15:22
Currently, one of my least favorite features on MA is the Most Popular Files category. Ever since I joined MA, it has been showing the same DIO, Jotaro, Kenshiro, Goku, MUGEN Fighting Jam 1.0,... like come on, we all know about those stuffs already, there is just no need to shove that in our faces all the time. My suggestion is getting rid of it for goods then replace it with something like "Files of the Month", which shows the most download files of the previous month instead of keeping the same thing all over the time for so long, we can update the category monthly, take all the older files out and replace it with the next batch of most download files. That would be a freshing change, given how we already have something like that (https://mugenarchive.com/forums/activity.php?sortby=popular&show=all&time=anytime) (only less visible).

AugresiV
Nov 01, 2018, 16:31
I agree. I mean - an all-time D/L category is fine, but I agree with having at least a tab for 'most-downloaded/popular' during the month. It gives off the impression that there's always something being created or revived in MUGEN

Um cool
Nov 02, 2018, 01:31
What about the people new to Mugen who have no idea these characters exist? Even I didn't know they existed because my only exposure to Mugen was through andersonkenya1's channel, who didn't show most of the popular files right now.

However, I largely agree to this. Although, the "most popular this month" is already located here: https://mugenarchive.com/forums/activity.php?sortby=popular&show=all&time=anytime

A switching of this stream and most popular category is the clear solution.

Gene Worm
Nov 02, 2018, 04:35
Honestly, I find the fact that Kuromaru, Slime Plus, and a couple other ****** chars made it to the top most popular files to be rather bothersome to have shoved in my face constantly. Or at least, more bothersome than the usual Goku/Kenshiro/Dio/etc being on there. I get why it's there, but I don't think it's really all that necessary. On the other hand, I don't think it's so bad that it needs to be urgently removed as soon as possible.

Juu-bei7
Nov 08, 2018, 21:34
I will go in a different direction and say it is the top 10 contributors list that needs to leave. Honestly I feel that kind of thing belongs in the Site Leaders page, not in the downloads section where it is so publicly visible. It gives the wrong impression that the Mugen Archive is a race to see who can crank up the biggest numbers, and it could incite competition between members. especially when anyone could "cheat" your way through the system by uploading static stages, low quality spriteswaps, etc. That list can really have a psychological effect on a person when seen hundreds or thousands of times.

To me, the contributors list serves no to little meaning where it is and I am worried it could possibly degrade the quality of future uploads. The most popular files, compared to this, I can handle.

Someone92
Nov 15, 2018, 20:32
I also dislike the Most Popular Files section.
Not because it includes 18+ edits or will pretty much always feature the same files but because it promotes outdated files.

Personally I would prefer a dropdown menu with "Most Popular Files Last Month", "Last Season", "Last Year" and "All Times", with the default selection either "Last Month" or "Last Season".

Mortos
Nov 16, 2018, 00:15
I will go in a different direction and say it is the top 10 contributors list that needs to leave. Honestly I feel that kind of thing belongs in the Site Leaders page, not in the downloads section where it is so publicly visible. It gives the wrong impression that the Mugen Archive is a race to see who can crank up the biggest numbers, and it could incite competition between members. especially when anyone could "cheat" your way through the system by uploading static stages, low quality spriteswaps, etc. That list can really have a psychological effect on a person when seen hundreds or thousands of times.

To me, the contributors list serves no to little meaning where it is and I am worried it could possibly degrade the quality of future uploads. The most popular files, compared to this, I can handle.

I totally agree with this, maybe that list is the reason of some users trying to get their name on that section uploading very low quality stuff and in general is really pointless. Since a lurker who only comes here to download wont care about it, so i think it should be replace with something more useful like the top 10 or 20 downloads of the month.