PDA

View Full Version : Until the site gets patched, downloads will be disabled for unregistered users

Dizzy
Jun 10, 2016, 13:47
*UPDATE 2018*
The site has finally an anti download accelerator system. Users using download accelerators will be automatically detected and temporarily banned from the download area, multiple violations will result in a permanent ban on the server level.

------

The logs show massive usage of download accelerators by unregistered users, in violation of our terms of service.

This activity is the reason why the site has been slow and was crashing regularly. The rate of pages successfully loading dropped under 50% recently, so we've enabled auto-ban of users using download managers, but in a few hours, hundreds of IP addresses got banned. This is very bad management and we need to prevent abuse rather than punish it, because let's face it, nobody's reading the terms of service, and we would end banning half of our visitors at this rate.

But this can only be fixed with a patch, which is beyond my level of access, so I can't tell when this will be done. Until then I'm afraid we have to disable downloads for unregistered users, to maintain the site stability.

Sorry but I see no alternative.

We also kindly ask our registered members to disable their download manager.

kmister
Jun 12, 2016, 08:32
I'm sorry cause I'm still new to this but what is download manager? :sdrop:

Lichtbringer
Jun 12, 2016, 12:43
I'm sorry cause I'm still new to this but what is download manager? :sdrop:

It's a programm that makes the downloads for you, they are mostly used for mass downloads etc.

OldGamer
Jun 12, 2016, 14:20
:crying1: omg two day ago I uploaded my new stages and when I try to update the stage its would not let me redo the file or anything and then ALL THE SUDDEN ITS BEEN REMOVED :facepalm2: with out no warning of any kind. I lost my file from the database, If these so call people keep over abusing the download Manager would be best to just put Lock on them stop from attacking are awesome favorite site.... I really don't like using media fire that mush but we need to do something to stop it :crying1: and I just made two more sega saturn stages but I am so scared to upload the file again:crying1:. I hope everything get fix soon :crying1:

Left4Joker
Jun 12, 2016, 16:45
My opinion. A massive message to ALL users about it. Give them 1 week, and then enable the auto-ban.

New users should receive the message about it at the moment they register.

Everyone would be warned about it, so no one can say that "I didnt know".

Dizzy
Jun 12, 2016, 17:49
It's pretty clear on registration.

http://i.imgur.com/soYvA5B.png

But you should never expect people on the internet to care. Probably most users aren't even aware they use a download accelerator. And at this rate we will ban half of our visitors and members, which is terrible management. There's no other way than patching the site.

Butterfly
Jun 12, 2016, 18:59
Maybe one of the problems is similiar to the one of the community event a few weeks ago? The language barrier. Maybe many people don't even know about those rules because they have a minimal understanding of English so they just skip the message even if in bold red letters because they don't know what's written there? This place seems to gather quite the large sums of languages, brazilians, germans, italian, south african, japanese, malaysian and I could go on and on, it's not weird to think that that could be a reason.
Also the average age of most users that register seems to be very low, I don't know the exact age of every user registered of course how could I know but just by looking at the community event thread or other threads similiar to that one and reading the posts of most Lurkers recently registered on the site it gives me the impression that you're dealing mostly with kids with the way they write and understand.
Combine barely understanding English with a 13 years old and I can kinda picture a scenario like the one you talked very easily.
Of course I'm not saying that all kids are stupid and clueless... I'm saying most of them are, there are one or two that I'm sure can run circles around me without problems and got everything about this site without problems but the average kid would struggle to undestand anything about the rules of this place, or any place mind you, have you ever tried making a kid understand the rules you told him to follow? It usually doesn't work.

Maybe an age and language survey could help getting a better idea? So you can see if the main chunk of the people that use this website is really of foreign languages and underage of if I just wrote an hyperbole so wrong to be worth to be told at a political congress?

...Man I write too much, synthesis is just a Pokémon move for me...

MugenJin
Jun 13, 2016, 15:51
I don't even know what a download manager is

Aurey
Jun 13, 2016, 18:33
How to disable our downloads? And also when we disable them, can we still upload?

Dizzy
Jun 13, 2016, 19:47
@Butterfly, trust me we have a good understanding of the average user around here.
Comes, downloads some files and leaves. Simple as that.

To the others : a download manager is an addon you install on top of your regular browser, for example IDM (internet download manager) or flashget. These addons can be used to download all files in a page for example, or to accelerate the download of a particular file by creating multiple connections to it and merging the parts. These addons are not allowed here because if too many people use them it can slow down the site a lot and even crash it occasionally.

So don't worry about downloading if you haven't installed any addon and just use your regular unmodified browser.

I can only hope that this issue gets patched as soon as possible, so we can reenable downloads for unregistered users.

Venom Mobmaster5
Jun 13, 2016, 21:42
Modified download managers is something new to me. As for disabling or turning off your downloads you just go to internet options under the tools icon and select the security tab, then click custom scroll down till you see the downloads section, you will see the enable and disable buttons there. Usually I put mine on most of time on disable for security purposes to avoid adware on certain sites.

Sookie
Jun 14, 2016, 22:12
To be fair alot of people are not computer literate, or very familiar with computers in general. And many have difficulty navigating some parts of the site. Probably a auto-email, or a banner somewhere with simple to the point messages, would be most wide spread and make sure everyone knows. Strong arming, threats, and mass banning will only feed the competition and kill membership.

KevDogATMArch16
Jun 17, 2016, 23:09
Greetings everybody! I just joined today, but I used to use this site all the time as a guest (and now I feel bad)... Now, I'm ready to get to know other Mugen fans and try to go by the rules. :thumbup: Feel free to help me out about the Mugen Archive anytime. I'm glad to be here.

Aurey
Jun 18, 2016, 01:33
Welcome, fell free to pm me anytime u may need something

sailor venus inuyasha
Jun 18, 2016, 10:55
ok!:amuse::wink1:

Gwarlord
Jun 18, 2016, 11:19
It should be mandatory people register and post on the forum. Its great to have an active voice in the mugen community. Also share character ideas. Random downloaders slows the process. Ive been trying to post as much as i can and looking for characters thats not on this site to upload. not much yet. but ill still post on the forum.

DrZaius
Jun 18, 2016, 15:26
When I first joined, I kinda forgot about the disabling download manager thing. The site doesn't really work well with the one I use anyway so I just stopped using it. The only problem is that about an eighth of all my regular downloads on this site fails, and sometimes with the same files (requiring several download attempts for one file). It's usually not a problem but it becomes tedious when I have to redownload a large file from scratch. Fortunately, I don't download larger files very often here.

Lichzim
Jun 20, 2016, 17:47
I never actually had or used a download manager. I'm really only posting because I want to be more active on the forum.

Left4Joker
Jun 20, 2016, 18:42
When I first joined, I kinda forgot about the disabling download manager thing. The site doesn't really work well with the one I use anyway so I just stopped using it. The only problem is that about an eighth of all my regular downloads on this site fails, and sometimes with the same files (requiring several download attempts for one file). It's usually not a problem but it becomes tedious when I have to redownload a large file from scratch. Fortunately, I don't download larger files very often here.

Download managers to blame. They steal download slots from other users.
It's a real problem :/

sailor venus inuyasha
Jun 22, 2016, 14:41
ok administradora:grin::tongue1:. administradora te puedo preguntarte algo por favor:amuse:. donde se puede pedir los chars:grin:

Left4Joker
Jun 22, 2016, 14:45
ok administradora:grin::tongue1:. administradora te puedo preguntarte algo por favor:amuse:. donde se puede pedir los chars:grin:
Voy a traducirlo. Dizzy no habla español .
Ni yo realmente . Hablo portugués y traducciones de portugués al español son muy buenos en el traductor de google . XD :laugh:

Dizzy... the guy wants to know where to request stuff... yeah.. the closed request section...

rc72076
Jun 23, 2016, 14:35
Its sad that people are using download managers i didnt even know thats why the site was messig up for the past few weeks. i think it is a good idea that people register and know they can become banned if they use download manger that will show users that it not simply a request but a must to use the site

cheddarsword
Jul 06, 2016, 21:52
most of the files aren't that big, and i'd bet most people have at LEAST dsl (seriously, does anyone use dial-up anymore?) and it's no chore to register. why are people even using accelerators in the first place? :facepalm2:

I mean I know most people don't have top of the line internet speeds, but seriously, even with lower broadband and dsl speeds, unless you're downloading HD or hi res characters, it should only take a couple minutes at most for a larger character, and not much more than that for HD and hi res. no patience. tsk tsk.

at any rate, good to know the site will run smoother now. Thanks Dizzy! Looking forward to your DLC release in revelator BTW!

ShinZero
Jul 09, 2016, 00:11
I still wonder... How much long will takes to the website get patched. I mean, it's been a long time that i know this website but it might take more time to the site get patched. Well... i'll be waiting. Downloading chars and other things was one of the reason to i register here. Well, what do you guys think?

Dizzy
Jul 09, 2016, 01:18
The patch release date is not known at this time.

ShinZero
Jul 09, 2016, 01:59
One thing i would like to ask is if you guys plan to do something with the download slot timer. Before i register, i downloaded normally but i have to click in the right time to download the file. If i miss, i would have to wait again to download. It was pretty hard to click in the right time.

DGearsEX
Jul 12, 2016, 08:16
Oh, hey guys! Registered here because I normally come to download a few characters here and there, no download accelerators on my end. Guess it's gonna take some time to patch this site up.
I see you disabled downloads for guests until that time. I wanna download a few characters, so that's OK with me.:cool:

JuskAa
Jul 12, 2016, 08:49
Agreed

cheddarsword
Jul 12, 2016, 16:10
@ShinZero

i have just a little programming knowledge (not for mugen unfortunately) so even i myself can tell you that updates take time, especialy when you have a life (doesn't affect me much... I DON'T HAVE MUCH OF ONE!). also, i wouldn't worry much about the timer. be more active with comments and on the site in general and your rank should raise, allowing more freedom. i almost never see the timer now, and i think the only way to raise my rank higher now is to donate.

besides, commenting on characters is fun! (dude! download this girl called belphegor! i'm POSSITIVE you'll have something to say then! you'll either be offended or you'll laugh yourself to death!)

@Dizzy

hmm... people are actually joining to DL characters. perhaps leaving the downloads off for unregistered users isn't such a bad idea?

Tyronne VB
Jul 26, 2016, 00:12
I think well what you have done and I would like to help in whatever I can to improve the quality of this site

Gwarlord
Jul 27, 2016, 16:44
It has been slow ive been occasionally waiting while a character downloads or a page loads. It becomes pretty annoying.

Dizzy
Jul 27, 2016, 17:00
It has been slow ive been occasionally waiting while a character downloads or a page loads. It becomes pretty annoying.

Do you mean a page loading issue specifically while downloading a file? We're aware of this issue and it should be patched eventually. For now just know that while you download a file you can not browse to another file until the download is finished. I know it's pretty annoying but all we can do is wait for a fix.

On topic, the patch release date is still unknown at this time afaik. It might be very hard to fix, require good developers and the money to hire them.

Fricknuggets
Aug 05, 2016, 17:43
How do I post

GeneralGraham
Aug 06, 2016, 19:15
Mas como fica para á queles que nunca visitaram o site? Eles também terão que contribuir? Isso não distanciariam os visitantes deste site?

otsul
Aug 06, 2016, 21:21
I liked the site , but I'm upset pos can not download the chars I want. Goodbye guy:facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::sad:s

Peucoman
Aug 06, 2016, 23:19
I can't download any character, why is that?

lukebanana
Aug 07, 2016, 00:04
why the strict rules ;( crying

kaczor787
Aug 07, 2016, 03:13
Here are so many important characters and i can't still download any of them. I'm so sad right know, because i can't create a perfect mugen with a characters from this site.
I hope this site will come in near days.

Aug 07, 2016, 04:51
I can't download.Why?Plese

179810916, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Left4Joker
Aug 07, 2016, 05:19
Read the first post: http://mugenarchive.com/forums/showthread.php?2702-Community-weekend-begins-!&goto=newpost

JosephJoestar
Aug 07, 2016, 07:28
Well, that's a shame, but oh well, this place is niceu enough to sign up for

konatakisaragi
Aug 07, 2016, 20:30
Hopefully this doesn't punish users that haven't done anything or new users wanting to sign up. I can only hope this will get resolve as quickly as possible.

Dizzy
Aug 08, 2016, 00:01
Hopefully this doesn't punish users that haven't done anything or new users wanting to sign up. I can only hope this will get resolve as quickly as possible.

I think it should be our first priority too. It might be very difficult to code though. I've temporarily re-enabled downloads for unregistered users a few days ago, and download accelerators were still being used a lot sadly.

bnach
Aug 08, 2016, 03:26
I think it's very difficult
Even if the ban is very strict
Or some people will think of other methods of improprieties
Because there are good people there are bad people

Aug 08, 2016, 12:44
Thanks.I am form China.****ing Great Firewall of China.I can't always reply.

shkweryu
Aug 13, 2016, 01:22
Uploaded character

- - - Updated - - -

I completed kaerkteo week released upload download

Peucoman
Aug 14, 2016, 02:59
Okay, so it seems downloads are disabled for inactive users, thus, I have to type something to download, right?

ICEICEBABY
Aug 14, 2016, 03:30
When you say download managers do you mean programs that handle the downloads like Winrar or ones that function like FlashGet or uTorrent? Just making sure I don't break any rules here.

Ilham2261
Aug 14, 2016, 11:42
You should like fix the download traffic or add more servers im sayin :D

N_Silver
Aug 14, 2016, 17:23
I understand. I believe that Mugen Free For All may be having the same problem,as it crashes regulary and I can barely get on the site.
Mugen Free For All's server problems are the only reason i'm here.

Inferno
Aug 16, 2016, 17:47
I DUNNO im thought this site is the better for download mugen stuffs but with this new rules.. now im dissapointed..

blah blah ignore me
Aug 20, 2016, 10:21
welp at least im innocent

Andre1175
Sep 04, 2016, 18:49
fr tho??????

Ranvir_Lopunny
Sep 24, 2016, 14:29
never knew that download mangers would increase the download speed of things

tom1988
Sep 24, 2016, 22:10
Aren't download managers supposed to make it easier to download stuff or something?

DiegoRs10
Sep 25, 2016, 00:45
Good!

Helgast Compani
Sep 25, 2016, 20:35
Dizzy, everything will be fine!

Gamer2killer4
Sep 25, 2016, 20:54
Well, time to get more active then.

Tabris666
Sep 26, 2016, 23:31
the site should disable download access to non registered users or limit their download speed to 5kb.
The other workaround is disable the use of download accelerators,not the download manager because some browsers that have integrated download manager will have problem to download like firefox,opera or others,chrome have a download accelerator so it should get all download privileges locked
.- download manager - manage the downloads and keep the download active until it finishes is capable of resumig downloads if the site accept it,only send one download ticket.
.- download accelerator - manage downloads but will try to grab all the parts of the download at once,it works in a way that fools the site to grab 5 to 10 downloads tickets at once and takes all the parts of the download at once,it will force resuming even if the site dont allow it (brwoser that have this function Google Chrome)

Lenoire
Oct 08, 2016, 16:20
wow,they go that far rather than waiting huh

Newandi
Oct 09, 2016, 02:26
So when will the server get patched?

joejoebinks
Oct 09, 2016, 16:45
that sucks

lordniti2
Nov 05, 2016, 23:36
its a shame to see stuff like this, I just joined today and well I didn't break a sweat in registering I don't see whats so hard about it :no_clue:

bender15
Nov 19, 2016, 21:17
Maybe one of the problems is similiar to the one of the community event a few weeks ago? The language barrier. Maybe many people don't even know about those rules because they have a minimal understanding of English so they just skip the message even if in bold red letters because they don't know what's written there? This place seems to gather quite the large sums of languages, brazilians, germans, italian, south african, japanese, malaysian and I could go on and on, it's not weird to think that that could be a reason.
Also the average age of most users that register seems to be very low, I don't know the exact age of every user registered of course how could I know but just by looking at the community event thread or other threads similiar to that one and reading the posts of most Lurkers recently registered on the site it gives me the impression that you're dealing mostly with kids with the way they write and understand.
Combine barely understanding English with a 13 years old and I can kinda picture a scenario like the one you talked very easily.
Of course I'm not saying that all kids are stupid and clueless... I'm saying most of them are, there are one or two that I'm sure can run circles around me without problems and got everything about this site without problems but the average kid would struggle to undestand anything about the rules of this place, or any place mind you, have you ever tried making a kid understand the rules you told him to follow? It usually doesn't work.

Maybe an age and language survey could help getting a better idea? So you can see if the main chunk of the people that use this website is really of foreign languages and underage of if I just wrote an hyperbole so wrong to be worth to be told at a political congress?

...Man I write too much, synthesis is just a Pokémon move for me...

thats what happen, my english is very bad, and take part of a forum is too difficult for much of us...
es dificil expresarse libremente en otro idioma

tacoman
Nov 19, 2016, 21:36
and the selfie

c3ntr0n800
Nov 19, 2016, 23:22
Wow, what a bunch of pricks. :notrust:

Tyronne VB
Nov 20, 2016, 04:45
I think this will help the page to have more contributors :cat_nham:

Pinux
Nov 24, 2016, 21:51
Woah man, that's sad to hear

sonik3
Dec 29, 2016, 15:01
cool

SLZero
Dec 30, 2016, 14:33
those anonymous users using those darn accelerators, man that gets on my nerves. i even know that MOST (truthfully) are in fact adware and spam ads on your browser via variable creating or altering. that happens to nearly EVERY accelerator, so i gracefully agree with this. those virus users, they dont even know what they are even doing at all.

Polaris_X
Jan 01, 2017, 04:56
Can't I just give you money for your site and bypass this annoying process. I'm not a social gentleman. I don't like people. Why can't I just throw money at you to make you go away and let me download in peace?

EDIT: I've just now noticed the little bar on the top of your page stating exactly that. If you needed money to keep this site running you could have just asked. Wikipedia banner blasts you (annoying yes) but leaves little to speculate over.

RedPandaDeathLord
Jan 01, 2017, 22:30
i just want the game jesus

- - - Updated - - -

i dont wanna be a Lurker

- - - Updated - - -

ugh

redkirito101
Jan 03, 2017, 23:34
How do I upgrade my rank to New Challenger?

Dizzy
Jan 04, 2017, 16:52
How do I upgrade my rank to New Challenger?

Users promotions (http://mugenarchive.com/forums/announcement.php?a=2)

blah blah ignore me
Jan 11, 2017, 05:27
randomness

Nasir
Mar 12, 2017, 16:07
Smart choice.

Pitamama
Mar 14, 2017, 15:10
;(

Doricrazy
Mar 16, 2017, 00:04
En downloads compañero