PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite game genres? (besides fighter) And why?

Sol Badguy
3rd May 2016, 09:32
If you hang around this site, it's obvious you like VG fighters but what are your favorite genres besides that one?

And why?

Left4Joker
3rd May 2016, 16:55
RPGs for the stories.

FPS for the community.

Hyde233
3rd May 2016, 21:20
Racing games. yeh. I'm particularly picky about them, though.

hegalica
4th May 2016, 01:36
I am in for all kinds of games, just a few I don't really like, mostly shooters and horrors ;p
If I have to make a choice, it would probably be action/adventure, although I love party games a lot.
The latter is no fun when you're on your own.

Realra
4th May 2016, 17:37
I don't like being the guy to point this out but, Platformers*

But anyway I always liked Adventure games because I absolutely love any game with an exploring asset.

NOMADiFECT
4th May 2016, 21:51
There are very few genres of games that I dislike, but old school platformers are without a doubt my favorite kind of games. They are my childhood (and my adulthood, frankly) and there's something about them that I just love so much. The simple controls, the pixel graphics, the memorable sounds and songs: I just enjoy them (both retro and modern) to no end... or it could be that my gaming preferences remain trapped in the 90's. :xp:

Plusle2019
5th May 2016, 21:43
I personally like "Plateformors" the best.

I am also not surpised RPGS got the best voting. The most popular games that aren't FPses happen to be RPGS. Pokemon (Gen 1 for the most part.), Undertale, Final Fantasy (III, VI, X, and VII), Fire Emblem (Modern ones like Fates)... And they aren't so rough to the casual gamers.

Iceberg821
6th May 2016, 00:24
Action/Adventure, Platforming, Racing, TPS

These genres (excluding the obvious) had titles that made me excited to almost no end! Here are a few mentions from my...*sniff*...my childhood...:crying2:

-Flatout 2
-Jak & Dexter
-Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
-Splinter Cell: Chaos

Dizzy
6th May 2016, 01:12
I am in for all kinds of games, just a few I don't really like, mostly shooters and horrors ;p
If I have to make a choice, it would probably be action/adventure, although I love party games a lot.
The latter is no fun when you're on your own.

I actually like horror games a lot, but psychological horror with a strong atmosphere rather than plain gory horror.
Silent Hill, Project Zero or Echo Night Beyond are among my favorites.

And once in a while I also like playing strategy games. :amuse:

Swat-Bees
8th May 2016, 17:15
Run and gun games like Metal Slug or Forgotten Worlds. It's fast paced, and provides plenty of opportunities to implement strategy along with blowing everything up.

ichiro16
10th May 2016, 09:17
Action/Adventure maybe my first choice but I liked most of them :grin:
mostly played old school 16 bit genesis adventure game lately :tongue1:

TheBambangMUGENGeek
12th May 2016, 01:31
I like those great RPGs, mostly the Final Fantasy series.

Left4Joker
12th May 2016, 04:59
I like those great RPGs, mostly the Final Fantasy series.

I'm with you bro \o

AyaneOfDeath
15th May 2016, 18:45
Nearly every Genre except Sports. (Okay If it is Tony Hawk or SSX then i play this too)

hegalica
15th May 2016, 22:57
I used to like Final Fantasy. But games past FFX just didn't feel the same to me :\

idspispopd
17th May 2016, 22:23
Rpg's and Adventure/action games all the way.

Sol Badguy
18th May 2016, 00:40
I used to like Final Fantasy. But games past FFX just didn't feel the same to me :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

kmister
18th May 2016, 20:48
love the platforming because that is what I started playing games.

OldGamer
19th May 2016, 14:16
RPG is my all time favorite but I also love MMORPG as well XD but when come to Phantasy Star or book of Ys those right there are more my all time favorites

hegalica
19th May 2016, 23:58
I actually like horror games a lot, but psychological horror with a strong atmosphere rather than plain gory horror.
Silent Hill, Project Zero or Echo Night Beyond are among my favorites.

And once in a while I also like playing strategy games. :amuse:

I'm probably too much of a fraidy cat to play horror :sdrop:

markedx55
23rd May 2016, 20:13
I like my shooters, especially the ones with multiplayer in it heheh:thumbup:

odin123
24th May 2016, 13:57
My favorite genres are MMORPGs and Classic RPGs.

DrZaius
30th May 2016, 05:55
...How is "Old school" a genre? It's just a visual style.
Anyway, I'd say RPGs (proper RPGs, not action/RPG hybrids) and racing games (preferably the non-sim racing games with more arcadey or kart-racing controls).

I'd include FFX in those games that don't feel the same. But it's definitely not the worst of the bunch. For the past two generations, if you wanted a proper Final Fantasy RPG, you'd have to pick up either Lost Odyssey or Bravely Default. The former even has music by Nobuo Uematsu and was supervised by Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi and Uematsu are like the Steven Spielberg and John Williams of RPGs.

hegalica
30th May 2016, 21:22
I loved Bravely Default, will probably get Bravely Second soon.
As for racing games, I prefer the more arcade-like ones better too.

I really liked the part in Need for Speed High Stakes where you play as the police and try to catch other drivers :D

pac220
2nd June 2016, 20:43
I personally enjoy Bullet Hell.

kazukes
3rd June 2016, 03:52
RPGs and general PVE games are my favorite. After you beat the game you can start over and still have fun because there is usually multiple different classes/skills to mix and match and higher difficulty. Like in dragon age or skyrim.

Guilelover
3rd June 2016, 04:21
I love RPG Games so much! but I guess I also like platformers

Foxhoundno3
3rd June 2016, 14:28
MGS is gooooood
i love this game series but there is no tactical espionage action in the poll lol.

999Dragon
3rd June 2016, 14:59
well you should try doing this if you want to play a horror game. make commentary or bring along a friend because if you bring along a friend at least you'll share your misery with another person. trust me whenever I play horror games like Dead Space or FEAR I bring my buddy along so we can take turns playing and getting scared shitless

Mortos
3rd June 2016, 19:53
i kind of like to play alot of other types of games, but my favorites are horror, Third person shooters and Adventure/Action.

Krowix
3rd June 2016, 19:58
Anything where I can create my own character. Helps me feel more connected to said character.

7th June 2016, 14:11
hello~:smile:

Lichtbringer
7th June 2016, 22:34
I voted for RPG, Strategy and Other (specify).

Let's go to the "other" games, I realy like classic Point and Click Adventures like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

G00ND0GGY
8th June 2016, 06:13
I enjoy many genres of video games but at the moment I really enjoy platform games and games that feature local multiplayer like River City Ransom, Mario Party, and Bomberman.
This is due to recently picking up Nintendo home consoles like the Famicom and Game Cube. I never knew what i was missing out on since I only owned Nintendo handhelds during my childhood.

オプティさん
8th June 2016, 16:41
Most of the games I getting used of RPG, Strategy, Action, and MMO types. Especially Choujigen Game Neptune, Super Robot Taisen series, Crisis Beat and Ring Dream. And etc.

hegalica
8th June 2016, 19:50
I like those games too!
Haven't heard of Crisis Beat for a long time, nostalgic! :D

JZ666
10th June 2016, 15:17
Oh man Rpg's Like Fallout, and The Elder Scolls Games ive wasted my life on XD And of course the old school Mario games and although i cant stand it anymore Call of Duty, but another shooter that took the cake for me was Star wars Battlefront :P

*Strider-Gamer*
15th June 2016, 15:52
I enjoy RPG's since becoming stronger as I progress through the game is cool!!
And also platformers since those games are easy to play over and over again!

ShadowFlameBrawler
16th June 2016, 03:29
Typically turn-based RPGs, but I've become a bit more fond of action-RPGs too.

Creperator
16th June 2016, 16:13
I fraikin' love bullet hell games ! Pew Pew Pew.

Domination
25th June 2016, 16:32
FPS;

Cod
Battlefield
Borderlands 2 (Love this one)

Action and Adventure;
Left 4 dead 2 (Kind of is, right?)
LIMBO
UNDERTALE

Kirbykastel
25th June 2016, 17:02
Those my rankings.

1-Hate = Horror Games
2-Bad = First person shooters
Third person shooters
3-Normal = MMO
RPG
Racing
4-Good = Adventure/Action
Strategy
Life Simulation
5-PERFECTO = Old school (8/16bits)
Platformers
Life Simulation

Starry Windy
28th June 2016, 16:32
I have some fave game genres, like RPG, a handful of Platformer games, and also Sports like Tony Hawk and variations of soccer games.

whoisthisguy
29th June 2016, 18:21
I'm the Oldschool and Platformer type of guy. Most modern stuff nowadays just doesn't grab me.

doppelganger
29th June 2016, 18:29
i like first-person shooter game like cs and igi but i also like games that are adventurous like gta and tomb raider(but i don't like stories of ancient believes in tr)

ushykii14
30th June 2016, 19:02
My favorite game genre outside of Fighters would most likely be RPGs

The story and lore behind some of them are fun to explore and try to decode in a sense, that and the stuff you can do with the more recent Fire emblems, Awakening and Fates, like Main unit cloning by street pass. It gives pretty interesting results sometimes.

MidnaGamer
4th August 2016, 13:48
Mostly RPG's Platformers and Adventure/Action games.

Magedragon
4th August 2016, 20:50
RPGs. I love being able to listen to a story and have some fun in between them, especially if it's something like Tales of Symphonia.

SwissRoll
5th August 2016, 01:01
Platformers, Action/Adventure, and shmups mainly. I do love a good RPG or tactical game like Fire Emblem. I mostly play older games, since they tend to be more affordable than a new $60 game. Horror games are good too, but I'm too scared to play a lot of them by myself.

The White
13th August 2016, 08:10
Even though I have played video games of almost every genre, my favorite video game genres are RPGs, Adventure/Action and Platformers.

Baal83
13th August 2016, 14:01
RPG for story and of course for immersion. The freedom to do what you want .

Alleghast
15th August 2016, 13:48
Just answered the poll.
MMOs are my favourite genre right now. But there is a caveat. I love the pick up play put down of offline games. And when they are complete it's "hey I actually completed a game and didn't have to sign away my soul"

Outside that RPG's. Again a caveat. I like RPG's that try to tell a different story, or approach things from an unusual perspective or try something different. It's why I'm not hyped for the new FF game, it's something I've seen them do before. XIII I think it was had an unusual take on how the summoning worked. 6 had a bleak world, 7 was the most unique rpg of it's time on pc. Which is a major reason why it was so popular, it wasn't generic fantasy (pc gamers have a lot of that) and for the first part of the game you are actually a terrorist. Mass Effect I will add here, but I will also add that the core of mass effect was thought of years earlier. Games like System Shock started the crossover between the shooter and the rpg that is so common nowadays.

Platformers: Here I hesitate to put platformers. I say this only on the basis of Schein, and The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom, and Escape Goat (could also be classified a puzzler). I have no interest in platformers like Super meat boy. I don't know why this should be the case but there we are.

Action/Adventure: It's so common to put these two together nowadays. I prefer more the adventure with less of the action. So long as the story is well told. It's good in my book. Examples of this for me are Tale of Two Brothers. I'm also quite fond of point and click adventures, things like Loom and Monkey Island. Action/Adventure sounds to me a little like a get out clause because it's a very short step from this into action-rpg with stat points and loot.

My Other: Choice is pure puzzle, so things like hidden object games, and I guess the aforementioned point and click adventures fall into this category.

Graf A Zeppeli
15th August 2016, 16:37
I like FPS games, RPGs, and some others, like Slender, Ao Oni(I know, it's really old), and Rhythm games. Though I haven't played TF2 in months. I may be rusty when I jump back in.

hegalica
16th August 2016, 01:52
Just answered the poll.
Outside that RPG's. Again a caveat. I like RPG's that try to tell a different story, or approach things from an unusual perspective or try something different. It's why I'm not hyped for the new FF game, it's something I've seen them do before. XIII I think it was had an unusual take on how the summoning worked. 6 had a bleak world, 7 was the most unique rpg of it's time on pc. Which is a major reason why it was so popular, it wasn't generic fantasy (pc gamers have a lot of that) and for the first part of the game you are actually a terrorist. Mass Effect I will add here, but I will also add that the core of mass effect was thought of years earlier. Games like System Shock started the crossover between the shooter and the rpg that is so common nowadays.

I actually liked FF8 and FF9 a lot, although the draw system from 8 was broken and a huge chore to do :p

JPBrigatti
16th August 2016, 12:34
Adventure and RPG, especially Final Fantasy.

n_mado
27th August 2016, 13:07
Mostly platformer and danmaku shooter games, because it makes me became better at games specially when i get into the most insane levels, it gives me challenging and makes alot of fun to do.

Ryuusen
27th August 2016, 13:44
FPS games such as CSGO.. which could bring a tremendous amount of salt both enemy and teammates would have, aside from that, am just glad to be a good service for my teammates most of the time

Nikolairush
18th September 2016, 03:45
I prefer RPGs or survival horror games where I can strategize and takes things slowly. Though I like Goldeneye and, to some extent, Perfect Dark for the N64, first-person shooters and I don't get along well.

A bit too fast-paced @[email protected]

Saltriel Dreemur
19th September 2016, 18:28
Aside from fighters? well, it's simulation.

ArthurDM
19th September 2016, 22:39
FPS Games and Strategy Games like Age of Empires ^^:tongue1:

Blitz Krieg
23rd September 2016, 18:15
RPGs with good MQ and interesting characters (with their own story and etc).

AXZUniverse
20th November 2016, 06:56
Gotta love FPS, RPG, Adventure!

Zephier
20th November 2016, 11:09
I like games that you can get emotionally invested in. Naturally, RPGs are pretty high on this list (Mass Effect comes to mind, especially) but other games have interesting ways of doing it. If you deny yourself the chance of reloading old saves, the Fire Emblem games make you really get attached to your buddies as you build them up and learn their stories...and then have anime-worthy goodbyes as you get them killed. That's right. Adorable little Nowi's death was your fault. And you have to live with that.

Chibataloka
20th November 2016, 13:16
RPG because Final Fantasy exists

ArthurDM
20th November 2016, 14:50
I like RTS, Fighting games and some Rpg games like Diablo or etc.. :3 like AOM when you type 999 theme ''This is RTS 3'' :3

Fraudrin
20th November 2016, 19:00
I always get really invested in RPG, be it Western or JRPG. I especially love the ones where you can make your own characters. I never do any serious roleplay, but i like to imagine a tiny backstory to get the character going, as long as the game itself doesn't provide me with one.

OldGamer
20th November 2016, 19:25
My game is PSO2, Aura Kingdom, Twin Saga and Tera Online but My all time favorite game is Sky Forge. I pretty mush play sky forge more because and I love the grinding system for the game :D

Busdriver
30th November 2016, 17:23
Rpgs are my main theme. mmos I play on my spare time, mmos can quickly kill my interest with overly cheesy systems such as dying in 2 or 3 hits and making gear way too much where it ought to be. Their so busy trying to make big numbers and satisfy player wants in mmos they always kill the chance of making a really good mmo game you could just keep playing. Sure there are many out there that will keep you playing for a while, but you'd just keep doing the same thing after a while and it becomes boring. You have to rely on rng too much, friends, gear and such just to have fun. In my book, if a game has to be fun by means like that, then it's not a fun game.

But when it comes to rpgs you don't have to be ultra geared or anything. Like star ocean till the end of time. I beat most of those bosses way weaker than I should of been because I had skill at the game and knew what I was doing. But if I ever screwed up.... oh dear... This was when I was younger, but as I got older and picked it up again after a century, I got better gear and such and remember my time in it.. And I was like, oh god what kind of crazy painful moments did I put myself through? x.x

But by gearing up and such the starting game did get a little easy, but fighting certain enemies made me shrug my shoulders since those like these robo spiders with homing grenade launchers and auto hitting machine guns annoyed me. I remember always avoiding them first time around. They actually can be cheesed by deep freezing your way through it with Sophia on a decent wand.

It's not just start ocean, it's also other rpgs, tales of series, legend of dragoons. A lot of rpgs don't punish you for not doing everything pro style, but if you do take your time and do things you are rewarded and it feels good.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate mmos, I still play them to this day. I just get a bit annoyed when it feels like they look for too many reasons to punish you in mmos, but then again mmos are another thing on their own. They just usually use rpg elements.

Oliver As Latias
30th November 2016, 19:57
I'm mostly used with puzzles, like Pokémon Picross.

Mugenfan10
2nd December 2016, 05:18
Rpgs are my favorite by far due to Final Fantasy but I like action adventure game almost as much since it has my favorite game series of all time

Capt. Riskyboots
5th December 2016, 01:05
- Racing because I'm a huge car fanatic.

- RPGs because I'm a fan of adventure.

- Platformers because same as RPGs.

- Shoot 'em ups. I like 'em.

- Beat 'em Ups. Gotta love 'em.

KuroTenshi67
5th December 2016, 07:30
Since I'm a huge fan of fighting games in general, I certainly pick the one that sounds the closest to the genre, that is... card games.

Yep, for the whole match-up, commitments and combo thingies.

PK-Tanooki
10th December 2016, 20:47
RPGs. I can literally sit down and play a Pokemon game for 18-20 hrs straight.

kylepounder
26th December 2016, 13:44
Strategy games like door kickers more tactic based ones
Sports cause why the heck not xD fifa when you turn fouls off turns into mortal kombat but without blood
RPG story lines
action advanture atory lines as well as awsom action
maybe fps more like sniper kinda fps games

CLIPtec
27th December 2016, 10:19
My favorite is Runescape are from around 2011. I would also say that this was my favorite time period in general. Everything was very smooth, and it would add a great deal of nostalgia to the game. I feel like many people agree with me, and I think that it would be great to see this implemented into the game.

Fobarimperius
27th December 2016, 19:13
I really like platformers.

I also really enjoy beat-em-ups, FPS, and open-world action/adventure.

I do like RPG's, but they tend to be really long which is hard to finish when you have a full-time job.

Iceassassin25
29th December 2016, 04:31
I like Rpg, Strategy and First-Person shooters

i like RPG due to how in some of them you get to pick what your character's race, class and looks are also alot of rpgs have a really good story and neat characters

i like strategy as it makes me think about what moves i have to make during battle

i like first person shooters as sometimes it's fun to just shoot things up

FreeBandzJo
29th December 2016, 04:45
GTA5, Skyrim, Mugen what category wuld thry fit in

Zandillo
29th December 2016, 13:23
I like all genres, if the game has a good history.

thisoneheredude
29th December 2016, 18:00
Getting into SHMUPs and beat 'em ups. The fast paced arcadey action just really gets me going

VioletBlade
30th December 2016, 05:36
I'm too bad for SHMUPs, even Binding of Isaac can give me trouble and that's like, babby SHMUP. RPGs are probably my most played overall. I could say I play it for the stories and depth and whatever. But really I just like seeing numbers go up after I hit something until it dies.

Dan-E-L
30th December 2016, 05:52
Good ol' shmups, of course!

And by shmups I mean specifically the ones "with spaceships and planes" to put it in a rough but clear way. People tend to throw games like Contra or Metal Slug in that category, but I consider those as "run n gun games" instead. (Still like them a lot, though. In fact how can you NOT like Contra or Metal Slug to begin with?!). I like Platformers as well and some RPGs. (EarthBound/MOTHER series, all of Super Mario's RPGs, etc)

But back on the shmups topic... I'm playing right now the Thunder Force games and I'm eager to try the fourth one!

Moy006xD
30th December 2016, 08:04
Sandbox games, specially survival games. Those where you gotta fight for your life against the environment.
And it's better with friends.

Horuro
30th December 2016, 20:33
RPGs for many reasons (story, general lenght, strategic, character building), platformers (specially of the shoot and run type), racing games (specially those with interesting gimmicks) and SHMUPs (specially of the bullet hell type)

Amexican
31st December 2016, 18:20
Racing, Open world games, action-adventure a little bit of FPS. The racing games because of the car damage and custimization, In open world games you can explore and do almost anything (it´s the most adictive kind of game for me), action-adventure for fun, and the FPS for the type of skill requiered.

keawn326
1st January 2017, 20:49
RPGs because I'm a sucker for immersion and a total loser when it comes to screwing up an entire world's story for my own amusement.

emulator
7th February 2017, 00:13
Survival Horror (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, ****** Party, Obscure, Clock Tower, HellNight, Parasite Eve, Alone in the Dark)
My dad (as well as other relatives from his side of the family), like to play them when I was a kid.
Never understood why people like playing scary stuff until I started playing them myself.

First Person Shooter (DOOM [1993], Half-Life, Left4Dead, 007 Golden Eye, Killzone 2)
I mainly play solo, not competitively.
I tried the COD games, and they're not for me.

Role Playing Game (RPGmaker games, Diablo II, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Kingdom Hearts [2002], .hack//Quarantine, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Jeanne D Arc, Summon Knight: Swordcraft Story)
I just like playing through the Hero's Journey over and over again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey

Stealth (Tenchu: Fatal Shadows, Red Ninja: End of Honor, Metal Gear Solid)
It's fun to mess around, learning the various way you can use the items your given.

Action (Devil May Cry 1 & 3: Special Edition, Oneechanbara, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence)
Become stylish while stacking up combos.
Plays almost like a Beat Em Up, but with more pzazz, so much that is somehow makes up for being mainly a solo experience.

3rd Person Shooter (Resident Evil 4 & 5, Gunz: The Duel)
A little like FPS games, but your more aware of your surroundings, making things easier.
Fun for couch co-op.

Extreme Sports Games (Skate 3, Evolution Skateboarding, Tony Hawk games, Motocross Madness [1998], Top Skater)
Fun to just mess around, forget story and objective, just play.

2D Platformer (Super Mario Bros., Rockman [1987], Magical Pop'n, Monster World IV, Ristar, Yoshi's Island, Rockman Zero 3, Disney's Hercules, Super Mario World, Metroid: Zero Mission, Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, various snes commercial games)
Simple to play, easy to pick up.

3D Platformer (Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Gex Enter the Gecko, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, Spider-Man 2: Enter the Electro)
Same reason as above.

Shoot-Em Up (Tyrian, 1943: The Battle of Midway, Twin Bee, Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders Extreme, Einhander, Panorama Cotton, Gradius, Wing Zero)
Your shooting monsters and giant aliens in space.

Sand Box / Open World (Cube 2: Sauerbraten, Spider-Man 2, Earth Defense Force 2)
Go around, do what ever the hell you want, explore, find secrets.

Beat-Em Up (Streets of Rage [1991], SplatterHouse [2010], Cursed Crusade, Tomoyo Fighter Perfect!, Panzer Bandit)
Game play is built with endurance in mind, is fun for a while, but playing to long it gets repetitive.
Best experienced with co-op.

Run 'n Gun (Contra, Metal Slug: Anthology)
Levels can get crazy pretty quick, plays like a combination of 2D Platformer and Bullet Hell games.
Great for co-op, and playing solo doesn't take away it's charm.

On Rails Shooter (Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead 1, 2 & 3, Carnevil, Time Crisis [1995], Area 51 [1995], Silent Hill: The Arcade)
When you want to practice aiming, but are to lazy to go to a shooting range.
Raise situational awareness (kinda), has you on your toes anticipating the next ambush.

Racing / Kart Racer (Gran Tursimo [1997], Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart Wii, Burnout Revenge, Nicktoons Racing, Test Drive Unlimited)
To save space, I just put these in the same category, but they are vastly different.
Racing games tend to be more realistic in how it handles speed and maneuverability of the vehicles (shifting gears, taking weight and velocity into account, etc).
Kart Racers are more bombastic and over the top with how it handles speed, and offten come in a more cartoony appearance and features upgrades or weapons.

Puzzle (Tetris, Intelligent Cube, Mr.Driller, Bomberman [1990], Puzzle Bubble)
Strategy and planing are in mind when playing these games, while not being too taxing on the mind to maintain a simple flow of gameplay.
Fun playing against a player.

****** / **** Games (RPGmaker games)
I'm a degenerate.

Enzo25
7th February 2017, 09:39
Survival Horror (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, ****** Party, Obscure, Clock Tower, HellNight)
My dad (as well as other relatives from his side of the family), like to play them when I was a kid.
Never understood why people like playing scary stuff until I started playing them myself.

First Person Shooting (DOOM [1993], Half-Life, Left4Dead, 007 Golden Eye)
I mainly play solo, not competitively.
I tried the COD games, and they're not for me.

Role Playing Game (RPGmaker games, Diablo II, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Kingdom Hearts [2002], .hack//Quarantine, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Jeanne D Arc, Summon Knight: Swordcraft Story)
I just like playing through the Hero's Journey over and over again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey

Stealth (Tenchu: Fatal Shadows, Red Ninja: End of Honor)
It's fun to mess around, learning the various way you can use the items your given.

Action (Devil May Cry 1 & 3: Special Edition, Oneechanbara)
Become stylish while stacking up combos.

3rd Person Shooter (Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5)
A little like FPS games, but your more aware of your surroundings, making things easier.
Fun for couch co-op.

Extreme Sports Games (Skat3, Evolution Skateboarding, Tony Hawk games, Motocross Madness [1998], Top Skater)
Fun to just mess around, forget story and objective, just play.

2D Platformer (Super Mario Bros., Rockman [1987], Magical Pop'n, Monster World IV, Ristar, Yoshi's Island, Rockman Zero 3, Disney's Hercules, Super Mario World, various snes commercial games)
Simple to play, easy to pick up.

3D Platformer (Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Gex Enter the Gecko, Croc: Legend of the Gobbos)
Same reason as above.

Shoot'Em Up (Tyrian, 1943: The Battle of Midway, Twin Bee, Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders Extreme, Einhander, Panorama Cotton, Gradius)
Your shooting monsters and giant aliens in space.

****** / **** Games (RPGmaker games)
I'm a degenerate.

You're very knowledgeable at V-Games!
RESPECT!

emulator
7th February 2017, 09:52
T-thanks for noticing me senpai!

Enzo25
7th February 2017, 10:28
T-thanks for noticing me senpai!

Senpai?
More like...ONII-CHAN!

Yuri Jacobs
2nd March 2017, 17:16
Well now, I've been playing Retro 8/16 bit games for 37 years, but I also love Platformers, Action/Adventure and Shmups. My favorite shmup series is DoDonPachi, but I have a few more by Cave, too.

Xandoshi222
10th March 2017, 01:52
Platformers,
First Person Shooters,
and Sandbox Games,

Yusei146
10th March 2017, 08:05
JRPG's, RPG's, MMO.

I enjoy playing Final Fantasy (old and new), I've recently been getting into III, V, VI. There's also tales series, KH.

An MMO I used to play was RuneScape 3, haven't played since last year but was very addicting.

waxiaohu
10th March 2017, 09:11
I like to play fantasy westward journey, sometimes playing all day, really very good, let I possessed

B3ner26
10th March 2017, 09:27
Fav. Genre is Racing. Enjoyed the music, sound effects, and graphics that Goes into them. Also a like vehicles, especially cars

- - - Updated - - -

Since this forum section is plural, the other Fav. Genre is RPG. This is a fav. Because I am always in a mood for some great story telling������

ashendusker
10th March 2017, 13:54
Not an option on the poll, but i'd have to say my favourite genre would be rogue like games, because of how much challenge they give, its just so satisfying when you actually do something worthwhile in one

potatochu
11th March 2017, 08:46
I'm probably too much of a fraidy cat to play horror :sdrop:

Have to play funny horror game like house of dead! Bad graphics but funny dialog and fun shooter makes it not so scary :grin:

hegalica
11th March 2017, 09:58
Well I played Plants vs Zombies and MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptunia VS Zombies.
That's a good start, :bruce:

dusky
11th March 2017, 10:41
RPG and MMO
mostly for the story and the fun playing with my friends.
but what I enjoy the most is watching and assisting my friend play RPG games

Kagura Mutsuki
12th March 2017, 15:41
I don't play tons of video games yet. I'd love recommendations.

Yomigami
20th April 2017, 03:52
I've always been an RPG fan, likely because it's a genre for "solo" players and I didn't have many friends interested in video games when I was growing up. Strategy games are a close second, with the likes of Dragon Force and Ogre Battle being among my favorites.

Enzo25
20th April 2017, 10:46
Apart from Fighting Games i like All Genres, but Mostly...

Open World: Driver; True Crime; GTA; Bully; The Godfather; Scarface: The World Is Yours

Party Games: Blood Lines (PS1); Crash Bash

1st Person Shooter: Brutal Doom and Other Wads; Grezzo 2; Lifeforce Tenka; Quake 1-2; Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition; Fallout 3/New Vegas;

3st Person Shooter/Action: Syphon Filter 1-3; Duke Nukem: Time to Kill; Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes; The Fifth Element; C-12: Final Resistance; Tomb Raider 1-5; Small Soldiers

Horror: Manhunt 1-2; Resident Evil (PS1 Series); Silent Hill; Dino Crisis; Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare; Countdown Vampires; Martian Gothic: Unification; Clock Tower: The First Fear; Clock Tower (PS1); Dead Space 1-3

Platform: Crash Bandicoot 1-4; Spyro the Dragon 1-3; Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus; Gex: Enter the Gecko; Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf; Rayman 2

Racing Games: Crash Team Racing; Test Drive 5; Ridge Racer Type 4; Road Rash 3D; Need For Speed (PS2 series)

Side-Scrolling: Splatterhouse 1-3; Captain Commando; Mario Bros 1-4; Metal Slug Anthology; Megaman X5; Sonic Advance 3

Sport Games: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Series; WWE Series (PS1/PS2)

Other Games: Digimon World; Metal Gear Solid; Jackie Chan Stuntmaster; Herc's Adventures; Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories

Arxos
20th April 2017, 14:36
Funnily enough I'm not a fan of playing fighting games at all besides Smash, but they're great to watch.

WoW will forever be my favorite game, but sadly I'm stuck with vanilla servers nowadays to play the thing I enjoy from WoW.

Instead of that I've mostly been spending my time playing MOBA's, HoN first, then Dota 2, and nowadays HotS since I have gotten tired of the excessive toxicity of Dota 2. It's such a nice thing when, even if the game is going bad, people in HotS often times don't bother to talk (at least in Quick Match). Much nicer than people sitting idle in their base for minutes to flame about how everything in the laning phase went wrong.

Malfar
10th May 2017, 17:18
I love RPG and sandboxes like Minecraft or Starbound, where you don't have to struggle a lot and can just have fun. But pretty much almost any game with open world is fine for me. I only like few games that are divided by levels or zones.

RemeII
19th May 2017, 21:03
Tales series rpgs are my favorite xD

FancyPyro
19th May 2017, 23:30
I'm actually a huge fan of horror games. I have no idea why, but I realized I liked scary games when a friend of mine lent me The Suffering: Ties that Bind for the original Xbox. I can't really explain why I like it, though. Maybe just scary things fascinate me. I know why I like Silent Hill, though, mainly because most of the game operates on Fridge Horror and there's tons of tiny little details sprinkled around the game world that just makes things even creepier when you think back on it... also the fact that there's tons of bizarre stuff in the environment that is never explained and lets your mind try and figure out what you're looking at.

kjmatt
21st May 2017, 16:37
Puzzle games for sure.

draventhefallen
24th June 2017, 19:14
Dungeon Crawlers, I've always loved exploration and puzzles

rednecktexan
25th June 2017, 07:25
mine would have to be first person shooters, always had a knack for putting lead into people.

hegalica
25th June 2017, 10:09
Puzzle games for sure.

Dungeon Crawlers, I've always loved exploration and puzzles

I like these genres too, they are fun :)

I'm actually a huge fan of horror games. I have no idea why, but I realized I liked scary games when a friend of mine lent me The Suffering: Ties that Bind for the original Xbox. I can't really explain why I like it, though. Maybe just scary things fascinate me. I know why I like Silent Hill, though, mainly because most of the game operates on Fridge Horror and there's tons of tiny little details sprinkled around the game world that just makes things even creepier when you think back on it... also the fact that there's tons of bizarre stuff in the environment that is never explained and lets your mind try and figure out what you're looking at.

I really don't like these scary games, but it's cool to know why someone else does :)

Virens
25th June 2017, 21:15
Puzzle Games and Horror are probably my favorites. Although I really appreciate some Platformers too, like Shovel Knight.

Defier1
26th June 2017, 01:40
In thinking about it, I've always leaned to an open world/exploration motif...

So, that can bleed into various genres -- as I'd put Legend of Zelda (yes, the original), Skyrim, and Minecraft into the same sort of bucket for that reason. You are kinda free to do what you will, including snub the story or goal and wander aimlessly around a world. I like the freedom to be good and lost in a game I suppose.

silvercoin
26th June 2017, 02:11
RPGs and music games I guess. Lately I have had an increasing appreciation for puzzle games too.

spazoftheflame7
26th June 2017, 02:32
RPG games are literally what I play 70% of the time. The rest of that time is generally everything else.

Caanite
28th June 2017, 07:54
Wooow, so many people here like RPGs! :)

I love them as well, since what I grew up on was mostly RPG and fighting games, with a couple of action games (like Metal Gear Solid). But because of work, and my declining free time, I don't play that much RPGs anymore.

testcwal002
25th August 2017, 20:49
little game
useful to kill time!

lalorobot
27th August 2017, 00:59
Mostly RPG's for the story and world they can create, I like action games like DMC and MGR quite a bit too.

ForsakenM
6th September 2017, 01:23
If I'm not beating someone's face in a fighting game (or getting beat), I prefer to enjoy more relaxing and community focused games like Mario Party or Dokapon Kingdom.

Games to just hang out with friends and have a good time.

Melvin8D
8th September 2017, 00:27
I like the old Fps games. Newer ones seem (like Cod and Battlefield) Feel more like movies than games. Games like Serious Sam, Quake and Doom have you on your seat trying to kill enemies, constantly dogding projectiles, pure fun.

NotAB
24th September 2017, 11:53
Rhythm games because i like music

momotarouu
21st October 2017, 13:28
Third person shooter is my favorite, but first person is cool too. I just want to see my character shooting those monsters rather than seeing their hands and their weapons.

twistedxlightning
31st October 2017, 19:25
Flight sims for me! Always had a knack for flying and dogfighting in them

xWagnerPlaguesx
31st October 2017, 19:34
I really like Action Adventure and Third Person Shooters. to name a few: God Of War, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Ratchet and Clank. basically any game that allows me to level up my guns and weapons. i Played RE4 and 5 to death and to death because i love the leveling up system.

lounhow
24th November 2017, 03:24
i like ATC ,fight game

hanyu
24th November 2017, 03:35
2d platformers, action rpgs, rpgs, and adventure games

bakemonogatari
24th November 2017, 20:38
RPG for the histories, i like reading and i like to play and rpg is this XD

Demens
25th November 2017, 03:51
I mostly play: Shooters in general but especially first person, as I'm extremely good at them and it is just relaxing to be able to let go and go. Strategy, such as most Paradox games since their open ended enough I can get just my fill of them and quit as needed.

I like RPGs but I haven't been able finish one in a while. Most recently I just hit a point in Dragon's Dogma where I didn't want to play.

26th November 2017, 21:21
RPGs and MOBAs and platformers for me

Kenna the Kitsune
9th September 2018, 00:18
I like Run-and-Gun and Metroidvania Platformers. Stuff like Gunstar Heroes.

PhantomTurbo
9th September 2018, 06:27
I love games that screw with your mind, whether its a puzzle based game or a psychological horror based game. I do like my RPGs as well.

Bergamo
10th September 2018, 17:01
RPGs easily, just played Monster Hunter World and looking to finally take on FFXV

Remixer1993
16th September 2018, 05:21
I think my favorite would be the genre Monster Hunter is. I wouldn't consider it an MMO or and RPG since it doesn't really fit those bills. I think it'd be more of 'grindfest' games, like warframe. Just a game where you play over and over until you get everything you see or just get bored and leave.

AugresiV
16th September 2018, 07:24
Puzzle games and RPGs for me, really casual type games

dCOBRA
16th September 2018, 08:02
Other (specific) em... Rolepl... Nah.

FPS;maybe because i like how the developers make an excelent product for ordinary consumers or average,more like this games.
Halo:CE
Half-Life 2
DOOM 3 and DOOM
CoD 4,(The original...nothing of cheap sh## without charisma
Metro Last Light and Metro 2O33,(My favorites and best games I play)
Portal 2
CS 1.6.
Crysis 2,(Holy f###,this game crashing my computer so hard)

- - - Updated - - -

Well,for me is so difficult have an specific genre of game.
I mean,the current industry and video game market is PLAGATED triple AAA games of dubious quality.
Maybe the old school has something, but they are simple to play and trained.
I mean ... they're good but they leave you with a vacuum like ... a hamburger of McDonalds.
And no, I'm not one of those who has an "everyone's favorite",since they are of those people who just to say something ... PUM they insult you like a beast

DemonLord1337
16th September 2018, 23:56
I do like a good platformer, whether it be 2D or 3D. I also quite like RPGs when done right.

kai_jph
17th September 2018, 11:34
RPG
I Like adventure finding things and figuring things out

Collector1000
17th September 2018, 18:28
I like racing and shooter games because I feel the most excitement in those kinds of games.

Gamingboy
24th September 2018, 17:27
I like a variety of genres, but I do have to admit I am partial to strategy games and RPGs, as I like thinking. I mean, I love me some good button masters, but sometimes it just feels good to go at things more tactically.

Gonerwithapen
6th October 2018, 07:19
I'm all about a good single player narrative game any day

- - - Updated - - -

And duh fighting games

Ozzy1231
10th November 2019, 03:58
RPG for the gameplay, Story, and Magic

BrendaMarzipan
10th November 2019, 14:02
I like horror games a lot, especially psychological horror, no cheap jumpscares please, i'm a very anxious person. =P

Vulpuz
10th November 2019, 21:37
RPGs and strategy cause I like classes and planning stuff.

KillerKombo
20th November 2019, 02:55
I personally like adventure games, but i also like a good puzzle

MegaKira
2nd December 2019, 01:58
RPG and MMO

Imperius
8th December 2019, 10:55
RPG coz theres so much things to do in the worlds like TESIV and TESV.

PootisPow
19th January 2020, 09:39
Platformers are very good games to casually play when ever you want but thats just me

JoelTheOne45
19th January 2020, 19:38
I like sandbox games a lot. Being able to let your mind roam free is great. :smile:

Vocalnoid
22nd January 2020, 00:25
I like playing level/game creator games like mario maker for instance, (not the squeal btw, I hate that one :ranting1:)

AngelSonic4
22nd January 2020, 00:28
my favorite shooter :3

tehdevil
24th January 2020, 15:49
rpg, it was after I found out about speedrun and I tried it on my first ever played rpg game, final fantasy 8. I intend to try other rpg, but lack the time for it

kouzuki22
28th January 2020, 02:26
Have to say rpg the first i ever played was tales of symphonia i enjoyed that game so much and after playing it i was able to branch and play different rpgs like diablo 2,final fantasy 12,fable 1-2,and so much more rpgs is my fav genre for video games ever.

Plusle2019
6th February 2020, 22:54
old school and mmo arent genres

Manuz
6th February 2020, 23:08
RPG for stories
Survival Horror for the atmosphere and tension
Shoot em up for adrenaline and concentration

IKEISLEGEND
8th February 2020, 00:10
My favorite is action/adventure free roam type games. I used love playing dead to rights that was like the coolest game to me

Selene
8th February 2020, 01:29
Real time strategy. I can never get enough. I'm a fanatic for C&C games, Blizzard strategy games, Age of Empires style games and the tons of obscure ones that didn't hit the big time. The genre's kind of dead in the water lately but I'd eagerly buy a new C&C if one came out.

KuroZetsubou
8th February 2020, 03:25
I like RPG games because they focus more on the story and characters and I like the character progression and the turn based combat; I like the adventure games because their story feels so natural, so real; I like platformers because I grew up with the Mario games, and almost all the platformers I've played are gourgeous; I also like the strategy games because I've always been the kind of guy who prefffers mind games and the strategy genre just feels so natural when I play it; and I also like some MMO, I don't play them regularly but I preffer the RPGMMO over the regular ones for the most part, I'll love to play EVE Online but it seems to much time consuming that I think I will play it during summer vacations.

But obviously one of my most if not the most liked genre is Fighting games, if I don't miss remember, one the first games I played was KoF, my grandparents had an arcade machine in their stationery, and when I went to visit them (that I still do) I liked to spend hours in that arcade machine.

tytydr1234
8th February 2020, 03:28
my favorite games were lego games because well idk why i guess you can say it was because I liked collecting the sets

drunkenpirateking
14th February 2020, 12:17
Not really a genre, but I try to play as many games with my arcade stick as I can. I've even beat the first Onimusha with that crap.

KittenPinkamations
17th February 2020, 10:57
Strategy/Management games like Mindustry, Spore, Prison Architect, etc.

EYD_Valkyrie
21st February 2020, 19:54
Anything that isn't horror, basically. I have favorite games from basically all genres, and I really can't pick a favorite genre.

cyang1214
22nd February 2020, 19:09
FPS Games like Doom Or the Early Half Life Games where your just some fast person shooting a game at enemies.

EYD_Valkyrie
23rd February 2020, 13:59
FPS Games like Doom Or the Early Half Life Games where your just some fast person shooting a game at enemies.

And Serious Sam and Painkiller. Yeah, they're amazing.

Adrillalan
23rd February 2020, 19:49
Character action, since there's so much depth to the combat of each game

DrakeWK
8th March 2020, 04:58
I like RTS games because building up gigantic armies and having them fight is always exciting for me.

kikrusher99
8th March 2020, 08:50
Selected other, and it would have to be wrestling games. My favorite being Fire pro world on steam. It's a blast, it's like Mugen in that you can have hundreds of wrestlers/mma fighters/comic characters/etc in your game, and it's a sandbox. You can create just about everyone and everything you'd imagine. And with the mod pack created by Carlzilla, is like an entirely different game.

The series is like 30 years old, and I started playing with Fire Pro D on Dreamcast. Back in 2001. I've been playing the series for almost 20 years.

PartTimePsyco
9th March 2020, 01:20
RPGs for the stories.

FPS for the community.
I couldn't say it better myself

TheShepherd82
13th March 2020, 23:46
since there is no more cool rpgs like old school final fantasy or suikoden i prefer third person "shooters"

FruitLoops
14th March 2020, 17:47
Basicly all except for MMO

CLIPtec
23rd March 2020, 03:37
I played Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R and other fps games. It increase my mind reflexes.

Vexiton
23rd March 2020, 05:11
I adore survival games, i like the struggle to stay alive.