PDA

View Full Version : MUGEN ARCHIVE news and some plans for the future

That Man
Feb 29, 2016, 19:46
Perhaps it is time for an update. I have some good news and some plans for the future.

http://i.imgur.com/DQLeKVy.png

The good news is ever since we moved to the new server in January, the site traffic and number of visits have increased roughly by 50% ! Yes, this is an unbelievable growth, which far exceeds my expectations, especially considering the site traffic was already very high, high enough to require a whole new server. This just shows the MUGEN ARCHIVE is much needed by the community.

Unfortunately, and while the user base keeps growing very fast, as we passed 30K registrations, the number of active users hasn't increased much. So it's time to wonder why our site, which is the second most visited MUGEN site, has such a low active user rate. And I have some answers.

First, the typical visitor of the MUGEN ARCHIVE is a casual leecher, he just comes around to download some files and leaves. And he's not to blame, at all. He just doesn't put much thoughts into it and whining about it would be pointless, because this is the way people have always been, they satisfy their needs and that's it. It's not just here, in every community, there's always a low rate of contributions.

Secondly, I think the user experience could be better, especially for unregistered users. While we have been serving more and more files over the years, our user base has also increased and visitors just don't understand why they have to wait for a slot to download a file. They use our site like they would use any other download site, where they may not need to wait, and they might feel frustrated here. They don't know this site isn't run by big corporations making tons of money from advertisement. But there is a reason why there's no other site like ours, hosting all of its content : because it's very expensive and there's not much to win. I do run this site all by myself, and I do it selflessly for the community from my own funds, so that others don't experience the frustration I've known as a user.

But once again I can't blame our users who don't put much thoughts into it and just want a better experience. So once again the MUGEN ARCHIVE will need to adapt because people won't change. I'll have to think of a new model to improve user experience, while still being able to fund the ever increasing server resources needed. What's for sure is our http://i.imgur.com/WR8Q879.png is not of much help so far because there are very few clicks, and no click means no income, so I'll have to figure out another way to ensure long term stability. I'm not worried one bit, because we still have much unexplored resources and potential.

The world is yours, and together, we'll make it to the top, friends.

Men must become more then men, and gears must become more then gears.

Peace.

Wild Ram
Feb 29, 2016, 23:05
Mugen Infantry site died, I thought mugen was dying...

But an increase of 50% in visits... Or the initial visits were inexpressive, or mugen is alive and vigorous.

You are a hero guy, sustaining this work. Congratulations.

TheRealDio
Mar 01, 2016, 01:39
the world is mine you say? what a coincidence.

Left4Joker
Mar 01, 2016, 02:32
What I think

There's few sections to discuss stuff in the forum. I know there are many subsections on "misc" but I think they could be a whole section each.
So everybody can see what is the last post just by entering the forum.

I didnt want to compare anything to Mugenguild, but that's a good example - because it works - could be any other forum.
We have there "Projects", "Sprite edits", "Introductions", "informations", "feedback", "gaming", "fighting games", and the list goes on.

And why I'm bringing this up? Cuz there's something about entering a forum and thinking .."hmm... I'll probably find something interesting in one of these... let's try.. 'X' section, or maybe 'Y'"

Just my opinion.

I'm one of those that just come here to leech, but basically cuz there's nothing that really makes me want to post at the forum.
Don't be afraid to make it look bigger.

And start thinking about other ideas. What about a "forum rpg" section? To create stories and play. I know it looks confusing, but I seen it work at many forums.
Or maybe just a place to make "forum games" like this.

Give something to first impressions ;)

Wild Ram
Mar 01, 2016, 14:32

To have one baby is very expensive, imagine seven billions of babies to care.

Responsibility.

That Man
Mar 06, 2016, 02:29
Thanks for your support my good friends.

By the way, this is completely unrelated but the site was unavailable most of the day. I would like to apologize sincerely.
A serious power supply breakdown taking down thousands of servers. It took a long day of work for electricians and server maintenance staff to restore all servers. Then I had to order another IP address and route the domain to it because the old one still isn't responding at the moment.

Sad Saturday, let's hope for a better Sunday my friends.

Left4Joker
Mar 06, 2016, 14:09
Geez, that scared the hell out of me.

I'm glad everything is fine :clap1:

Ohhh I just got another idea. What about a Leveling system? Even with exp points. Uploads give you many exp points, posting give you a bit, and viewing pages gives you.. a tiny bit (like.. 1 exp point).

I know we have that "new challenger" and other titles, but I'lm talking about something different, something that we can check how many points we have and sometimes think "you know what? I'll post more 2 or 3 characters just to get next level"

mgnlvr
Mar 07, 2016, 03:23
Welcome back you were offfline for I while I thought the site had gone.

Anji Mito
Mar 07, 2016, 16:05
Mugen Infantry site died, I thought mugen was dying...

MUGEN isn't dying at all, more like there may be development cycle slowdowns. But this is most likely due to the lack of new source material because development of edits is still going strong and whenever new sources show up, there's a development bump, e.g the extreme butoden sprites. You may argue there aren't a lot of p4 or unib chars but they're really harder to make than the old school stuff. More sprites, more animations & general complexity so I'm not really surprised less people are capable or willing to pull these ones.

Wild Ram
Mar 07, 2016, 16:58
MUGEN isn't dying at all, more like there may be development cycle slowdowns. But this is most likely due to the lack of new source material because development of edits is still going strong and whenever new sources show up, there's a development bump, e.g the extreme butoden sprites. You may argue there aren't a lot of p4 or unib chars but they're really harder to make than the old school stuff. More sprites, more animations & general complexity so I'm not really surprised less people are capable or willing to pull these ones.

Really! But who started to work with mugen in 2000-2001, now probable is married and with babies.

And trully sprite works is the most hard job in mugen.

Sol Badguy
Mar 07, 2016, 18:09

oh man, Dio is the absolute coolest :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/32Q6jAD.png

probably even slightly cooler than Sol :eyesroll:

MartialArtsMaster
Mar 07, 2016, 18:46
Good day. I'm one of those accounts that hasn't uploaded anything, unfortunately. I do have some files I could upload, but unfortunately I don't know how to take screenshots from the M.U.G.E.N. engine, and Mugen Archive requires that a screenshot be posted along with the file, or it won't accept the file. If I may give feedback, would you be willing to release a small tutorial on how to take "screenshots that Mugen Archive would accept", to make it easier for those who wish to upload files to Mugen Archive? I apologize for taking this long to post and ask this question, but I haven't been back at Mugen Archive in a while, only using it again this year, and only just saw this post about Mugen Archive struggling. My apologies, and thank you very much in advance!

Wild Ram
Mar 07, 2016, 19:00
Good day. I'm one of those accounts that hasn't uploaded anything, unfortunately. I do have some files I could upload, but unfortunately I don't know how to take screenshots from the M.U.G.E.N. engine, and Mugen Archive requires that a screenshot be posted along with the file, or it won't accept the file. If I may give feedback, would you be willing to release a small tutorial on how to take "screenshots that Mugen Archive would accept", to make it easier for those who wish to upload files to Mugen Archive? I apologize for taking this long to post and ask this question, but I haven't been back at Mugen Archive in a while, only using it again this year, and only just saw this post about Mugen Archive struggling. My apologies, and thank you very much in advance!

Use MCM (Mugen character Creator) to extract some sprite to use as image, or Fighter Factory. But this sites also tends to generate the image automatically as described in the upload rules.

MartialArtsMaster
Mar 07, 2016, 19:14
Thank you very much, Wild Ram! I'll use your advice and upload something this evening after I get home from work (I posted while on a break); if it works, I'll upload a few more files. Thank you very much again!

EDIT: Oh, it turns out I have to upload the image AFTER the file, rather than "along with". In that case I was able to just use the Screenshot function of Mugen itself to upload the image. I should have started uploading files much sooner. Anyway, thank you very much again, Wild Ram!

Left4Joker
Mar 08, 2016, 04:51
I found a shitload of characters in a really big pack. There are MANY offline characters and many that are not uploaded yet.

I'll be uploading. It has around 2 thousand characters, and until now for each 1 that is already here there is 1 that is not.

Stay tuned ;D

Wild Ram
Mar 08, 2016, 23:12
Thank you very much, Wild Ram! I'll use your advice and upload something this evening after I get home from work (I posted while on a break); if it works, I'll upload a few more files. Thank you very much again!

EDIT: Oh, it turns out I have to upload the image AFTER the file, rather than "along with". In that case I was able to just use the Screenshot function of Mugen itself to upload the image. I should have started uploading files much sooner. Anyway, thank you very much again, Wild Ram!

You can obtain good images for chars in this site too: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/main.htm

ugoste
Mar 10, 2016, 07:01
Respect, you could make money for all that time that you put in this, but still you do it for free...only respect for that. And if i were you i would not mind about frustrated people, there is not problem at all to little wait. By the way Yugoslavia does not exist anymore. There are Serbia and Monte***** now, separately each from other. Peace.

Wild Ram
Mar 10, 2016, 21:26
Respect, you could make money for all that time that you put in this, but still you do it for free...only respect for that. And if i were you i would not mind about frustrated people, there is not problem at all to little wait. By the way Yugoslavia does not exist anymore. There are Serbia and Monte***** now, separately each from other. Peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-EQJA8Ahac

Oliviasan
May 21, 2016, 21:23