PDA

View Full Version : Want to build retro machine, need some little help.

Mugenbox
Jan 09, 2018, 16:47
I'm planning to build a retro machine that will act both as a gaming machine and as a kind-of set top box machine. I got the TV side running but I have some concerns about the gaming side.

First off, here are the full specs so you know what I have to deal with:

300W PSU
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
EPoX EP-8RGM3I (anybody remember EPoX? :oldtimer: )
40GB Samsung HDD
Geforce 4 MX440 8x 64MB AGP w/TV out
256MB RAM, DDR400
Windows ME
LiteOn DVD-RW
Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe (BT878) PCI
all in a generic beige case.

Now my question is - since I am going to run some games on this, I thought of Midtown Madness 2, Monster Truck Madness 2, Ford Racing 2 and maybe 3 too, and ultimately MUGEN.

Thing is - I want to go with Mugen 1.1 as opposed to Winmugen, because most characters are now using 1.1 rather than the old (and quite buggy) Winmugen. Is Mugen 1.1 compatible with Windows ME (and 9x in general), or will I have to upgrade to XP? (a thing which I'd want to avoid - although I know of KernelEX's existence.)

Any help is appreciated.

mulambo
Jan 09, 2018, 21:28
well, I think your PC just needs more RAM (at least 1gb).
upgrading to XP could be only a benefit because of compatibility of most retrogaming emulators.
never tried MUGEN1.1 on WinMe, but it works pretty well on XP.

Mugenbox
Jan 10, 2018, 08:30
Guess I'll have to go ahead and try then. As for RAM, I'll see if ME will be okay with 1GB. My experience with Windows 9x in general was that they don't like over 512MB RAM, but since ME is a bit newer than 98SE that problem may have been circumvented.