PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Fighting Game Opinions

kakyoin
Mar 01, 2017, 05:38
As the title suggests, just post some of your most unpopular fighting game opinions. It can be anything like UMVC3 is better than MVC2 or Street Fighter Alpha 3 is better than Alpha 2, or Super Smash Bros. Melee is an actually fighting game. Just go nuts.

emulator
Mar 02, 2017, 12:42
Shouldn't this be in the misc. discussion / shit posting thread? anyway..
- Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Superheroes > Marvel vs Capcom 2
- Tekken 3 is good but over rated
- Tekken 6 is so much wasted potential and does not live up to promise
- as niche as the Virtua Fighter series is, I keep reading threads about how Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown is perfect; I think it's over rated and probably needs a lot of tweaking
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike is over rated for the parry system
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 is an under rated game, a shame the Max edition was only for the PSP
- Capcom sprite style > S.N.K. sprite style
- Street Fighter V is a bad game, and continues to disappoint
- they should stop making Samurai Shodown and transfer some of it's characters to The Last Blade, and make more The Last Blade games
- King of Fighters and Street Fighter should go back to 2D

MugenReallyReally
Mar 04, 2017, 05:09
I'd give a heads-up for most doujin games, especially older ones such as Eternal Fighter ZERO, Mikyaku Impact and Crimson Alive: Extreme Encounter, which I used to play lots back in the day.
Been trying to run Queen of Battlers 2, without success. Too bad, the game looks so cute despite simple. Really wanted to give it a serious shot. >.<

The Street Fighter EX series also deserves mention, since japanese tourneys of it apparently still exist (though I admit Dhalsim looks like a pain to fight competitively >.<)

Mortos
Mar 04, 2017, 14:58
MvsC2 is overrated just by the size of his roster wich is composed by recycled chars from previous games, and his OST is awful IMHO.

MugenReallyReally
Mar 04, 2017, 15:02
...daw, I like me some unfitting music... makes the game more easy-going.

Mortos
Mar 04, 2017, 15:08
...daw, I like me some unfitting music... makes the game more easy-going.

fair enough, but this ost sounds way to unfitting for a mvsc game, never was a fan of it. even the stages were boring for me and that lava dog as final boss is just meh.

emulator
Mar 04, 2017, 17:44
MvsC2 is overrated just by the size of his roster wich is composed by recycled chars from previous games, and his OST is awful IMHO.

This, I only like it for the inclusion of Jill Valentine.
It paved the way for Jill to be converted into different game play styles in M.U.G.E.N.

Also:
- Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Superheroes would have been perfect in my opinion, would it have Jill and Silver / Armored Spider-Man in the playable character roster
- S.N.K. needs to put Hibiki Takane in more games
- aside from Ingrid, I'd like to see the two other would have been characters from Capcom Fighting All-Stars make appearances in future games in 2D form
- Capcom needs to renew / buy the copyright to use those Street Fighter Ex characters
- I dislike the direction of Tekken 7, from the new costumes, new art style, those techno BMGs, and specially the rage art (I've avoided playing it in the arcades because I'm afraid I might get too used to the rage art mechanic)

Butterfly
Mar 04, 2017, 18:04
Street Fighter V was a good idea but executed in all the wrong ways, the most jarring thing about it is that after being released with less things than a doujin fighting game here we are in 2017 and dozen of updates and DLCs later and it still feels like it just managed to reach the quality that can make it look competent, but it's competitors didn't need those tons of updates and DLCs that Street Fighter V needed for yeats to look at least finished to be ahead of it in the first place so it just makes them look lazy in front of them.
The most funny thing is that they organized the game in a way to keep the interest on people for years to come but instead is doing the opposite for me, my interest for Street Fighter couldn't be lower in 2017, it feels so stagnated while Guilty Gear keeps expanding his game, King of Fighters is resurrecting himself, Mortal Kombat keeps going strong, Blazblue keeps not fixing it cause it ain't broken and Tekken is close to releasing and taking names, in 2017 in this environment Street Fighter V actually feel less bad and more like embarrassing, it feels a generation behind when it actually isn't a generation behind, they screwed up royally here.

Sol Badguy
Mar 04, 2017, 20:33
SVC is my favorite neogeo fighter :lol:

Mortos
Mar 05, 2017, 03:20
This, I only like it for the inclusion of Jill Valentine.
It paved the way for Jill to be converted into different game play styles in M.U.G.E.N.

Also:
- Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of Superheroes would have been perfect in my opinion, would it have Jill and Silver / Armored Spider-Man in the playable character roster
- S.N.K. needs to put Hibiki Takane in more games
- aside from Ingrid, I'd like to see the two other would have been characters from Capcom Fighting All-Stars make appearances in future games in 2D form
- Capcom needs to renew / buy the copyright to use those Street Fighter Ex characters
- I dislike the direction of Tekken 7, from the new costumes, new art style, those techno BMGs, and specially the rage art (I've avoided playing it in the arcades because I'm afraid I might get too used to the rage art mechanic)

the only chars i liked in mvsc2 were Jill and Ruby, so i agree on that.

1:mvsc1 is probably my favorite in the series, i think it was good as the way it was. but i understand that also 2 or 3 more chars wouldn't have hurt the game.

2:if Nakoruru can be in KOF, i dont see why she not, or a new last blade game at least.

3:you mean D.D and rook? i think those were they names but i could be wrong.

4:there's rumors about garuda from the EX series as a dlc from this season, but for now they are only rumors.

5:there's some things that could be better in that game, it hasn't come out yet. so i can really give a full opinion about that.

emulator
Mar 05, 2017, 07:31
the only chars i liked in mvsc2 were Jill and Ruby, so i agree on that.

1:mvsc1 is probably my favorite in the series, i think it was good as the way it was. but i understand that also 2 or 3 more chars wouldn't have hurt the game.

2:if Nakoruru can be in KOF, i dont see why she not, or a new last blade game at least.

3:you mean D.D and rook? i think those were they names but i could be wrong.

4:there's rumors about garuda from the EX series as a dlc from this season, but for now they are only rumors.

5:there's some things that could be better in that game, it hasn't come out yet. so i can really give a full opinion about that.

Yup, D.D and Rook are indeed their names.
I especially want to see D.D in action, from screenshots he looks like a nod to Kazuya Mishima from Tekken.
S.N.K. should also bring back Heavy D! and Vanessa.

UltimaEpic
Mar 09, 2017, 00:01
Smash 4 SSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.
Cloud is CANCER
Mega Man? More like Mega CANCER
Sakurai does his best but he's a moron that achieved all his successes through either blind luck or his stupid outdated "Kirbyism" philosophy. No, it is not "Bad game design" when an UNSKILLED PLAYER is beaten by a TOURNAMENT-LEVEL PLAYER, and it is not "Good game design" when the EXACT OPPOSITE happens THANKS TO PAY2WIN DLC!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I really wish a Mugen 1.3 would be made, with support for more helpers, more in-built meters, an in-built "Choose your mode! A, B, or Y!" system, online mode built-in and already set-up (Though only being able to play with people that have the same characters as you would be reasonable, being able to pick your character and take it into the multiplayer room your friend sets up would be better), etc.

TheWhiteDevil27
Mar 10, 2017, 03:57
SSB4 & Brawl > Melee
because Melee is overrated and just too fast for my tastes :no_clue:

Mochasamurai
Mar 10, 2017, 21:45
Alright.

Super Smash Bros. 4 is better than Brawl and Melee.
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon is a fairly fun game, same as Mortal Kombat vs. DC. Mortal Kombat 9, however, didn't blow me away as it did with other fans.
King of Fighters XIV is great.
SNK is better than Capcom (in the fighting game department anyway).

striderhyryu
Mar 10, 2017, 22:58
i dont like 3d fighting games, that's why i never really tried to play tekken.
i like super smash bro more than the others in the franchise

applest0re
Mar 10, 2017, 23:36
Super Smash Bros. games are super overrated, and did NOT deserve two slots at EVO at all.

SoulCalibur 3 was the best in the series, even if it was broken as all hell.

wotur
Mar 11, 2017, 16:28
SoulCalibur 2 was the best SoulCalibur

Enzo25
Mar 22, 2017, 18:58
Battle arena Toshinden 1-4
are too much underrated and nearly unknown nowadays....sadly
i wish i could see something of it "mugenized"

emulator
Mar 23, 2017, 16:22
Battle arena Toshinden 1-4
are too much underrated and nearly unknown nowadays....sadly
i wish i could see something of it "mugenized"

I feel similarly for Vs, a PS1 fighting game that fell into obscurity.
I only really care to see the character 'Mia' mugenized.

Enzo25
Mar 23, 2017, 21:25
I feel similarly for Vs, a PS1 fighting game that fell into obscurity.
I only really care to see the character 'Mia' mugenized.

Oh, Thanks, you made me remember about that game!
I will find it...and i will play it!

I also would like to see some chars mugenized from:
Bloody Roar
Rival School (Non-Protagonists)
Dead or Alive
Virtua Fighter
Cardinal Syn

...Who Knows...

Left4Joker
Mar 24, 2017, 02:57
Toshinden 2 and 3 are gems.

I recommend Tobal No.2 for you as well. Use the gameshark code to open all characters from the adventure mode. It's probably one of the games with the biggest number of playable choices I found.

Enzo25
Mar 24, 2017, 08:58
Toshinden 2 and 3 are gems.

I recommend Tobal No.2 for you as well. Use the gameshark code to open all characters from the adventure mode. It's probably one of the games with the biggest number of playable choices I found.

Thanks, i will play both "Vs." "Tobal" and "Zero Divide" too

Left4Joker
Mar 25, 2017, 03:59
Out of curiosity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCU5ZmUXLfc

Enzo25
Mar 25, 2017, 13:06
Underrated Gem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6KaPsellrY

Left4Joker
Mar 25, 2017, 14:58
Oh and I just remembered this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTvCCvVOZcA

I think there's a port for PS2...

Enzo25
Mar 25, 2017, 15:04
Yes it was for Ps2 too
With something more inside the game.

emulator
Mar 26, 2017, 05:11
Out of curiosity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCU5ZmUXLfc

Didn't expect to see Mokujin and Devil Kazuya in that video.

Left4Joker
Mar 26, 2017, 05:16
Didn't expect to see Mokujin and Devil Kazuya in that video.

They are not ><
Their debut at the Tekken franchise only happened some years later.

Btw, Tobal No.2 has 200 characters \o

emulator
Mar 26, 2017, 06:15
They are not ><
Their debut at the Tekken franchise only happened some years later.

Btw, Tobal No.2 has 200 characters \o

The resemblance was just so uncanny, had to make that joke.

Left4Joker
Mar 26, 2017, 06:25
Well.. at 14:00 there's Gandalf and a Supreme Kai at 15:00

I still can't find the one you say that looks like Kazuya XD

emulator
Mar 26, 2017, 07:14
Starting at 0:40, maybe Devil Kazuya is a stretch, but the character reminds me of him, specially with the how dark the video is.

Left4Joker
Mar 26, 2017, 13:41
Starting at 0:40, maybe Devil Kazuya is a stretch, but the character reminds me of him, specially with the how dark the video is.

Oh.. it's the joker. Yeah it looks really different with a brighter screen

Ruzan
Mar 28, 2017, 14:19
I've never played a Smash game, but from watching videos/competitions, it looks like a clusterf*ck. Characters bouncing around the screen, random percentage numbers at the bottom that go up for seemingly no reason (and do nothing), it just looks like a jumbled mess.

emulator
Mar 28, 2017, 17:26
Soul Edge was the best game in the series.
Deserves to be remade with modern technology.
Get rid of the input delay and wake up delay, it'd be perfect.

mulambo
Mar 28, 2017, 21:29
Just to name a few underrated games...
- Hiusma Heaven's Gate (not the best fighting ever... but still something closer to a decent fighter game)
- Fighting Layer (good revision of Street Fighter EX2 plus, even if the final boss could **** off Gandhi)
- Thrill Kill (popular, but "unpopularized" for excessive gore by parental advisory... then converted in "kid-friendly" hip-hop style Wu Tang Clan)
- Mug Smasher (lol, I loved that as a child)
- Geikido
- Crime Fighters (prequel of the more famous "Vendetta")
- Martial Masters (high quality game imho, and really original concepts/style)
- Aggressors of Dark Kombat (really underrated, but still one of my fav)
- Daraku Tenshi (maybe the best answer to SF3)
- Plasma Sword (good game, tons of original characters)
- Fighter's Destiny ( I loved it )
- Kensei
- Destrega (hey at least they tried, lol)
- Urban Reign (reeeeaally underrated)
- Breakers (weird chars... but overall a good product)
- Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (most technical game I've ever played)

As regards overrated games:
- Mortal Kombat (stereotypical, gross, grotesque)
- Guilty Gear (never really liked it)
- new SF episodes (yeah cool effects, but where's the real 3d experience? just a graphic improvement of SF Ex ... )
- Dead or Alive series (besides inspiring Namco's stage interactions and bouncing breasts... this game is too quick).

Mortos
May 05, 2017, 02:09
Well, lets continue this topic with some salty opinions.
-Scarecrow's and Joker's designs in Injustice 2 are awful.
-I hope Hsien-ko and the Sentinel dont come back in MvsC Infinite.
-Blue Mary should have been the 4th DLC char of KOF XIV instead of Rock.
-MvsC2's OST is garbage.

Mortos
May 05, 2017, 02:11
- Guilty Gear (never really liked it)

TBH, The best thing about guilty gear is the soundtracks IMHO.

mulambo
May 05, 2017, 10:03
No doubt, but for the rest is a real mess of a game, not really intuitive in gameplay and really too complex in style. "Excessive" would be the right word.

TheWhiteDevil27
May 14, 2017, 05:03
I am I the only one who thinks the Touhou fighting games (7.5, 10.5, 12.3, 13.5, and 14.5) are better than the shoot 'em up games? This is coming from someone who's very bad at the Touhou shoot 'em ups. Seriously, could anyone please give me some tips on how to beat those games because I can't beat them even on Easy Mode! :doh: I know the point of the Touhou shoot 'em ups is to be hard but I hate most games that try to frustrate you to shreds. I still like Touhou though but I think that the shoot 'em up titles in the series are the weakest part of the series. The Touhou franchise however, lends itself well to the fighting genre due to the large colorful cast of characters and the various cool attacks they have. The fighting games are so good, that I have lots of Touhou characters in my main MUGEN game! Overall, I've had more enjoyment out of the Touhou fighting games than the main shooting games in the franchise.
Also, Gundam Battle Assault 1 > Gundam Battle Assault 2, just saying.

jlr24lp
May 16, 2017, 14:08
That terrordrone game is pretty unpopular I had never heard of it until stumbling upon it in the archives.

Enzo25
May 16, 2017, 19:47
That terrordrone game is pretty unpopular I had never heard of it until stumbling upon it in the archives.

Not so Unpopular ;)

http://terrordrome-thegame.com/
https://it-it.facebook.com/TRDMGAME/

jlr24lp
May 16, 2017, 19:52
Not so Unpopular ;)

http://terrordrome-thegame.com/
https://it-it.facebook.com/TRDMGAME/

REALLY???? wow... huh I never would've thought so, the things you learn.... LOL :laugh: 1583

Enzo25
May 16, 2017, 19:55
REALLY???? wow... huh I never would've thought so, the things you learn.... LOL :laugh: 1583

Smoke...
Everyday XD

HongKongPhooey
May 22, 2017, 00:59
I have simply this:

Virtua Fighter was more groundbreaking than the 1st Tekken.

TheWhiteDevil27
May 29, 2017, 02:19
Am I the only one who was glad that they got rid of Snake and the Ice Climbers in SSB4? I never found those characters interesting in the slightest.
Anyways, the SSB series as a whole is good but pretty overrated. It's fun but there's much better fighting games out there than it. Also, to me, the gameplay can be a bit floaty sometimes.

emulator
Jun 02, 2017, 06:09
Tekken 7
- a lot of people complain about the music, I don't really mind
- DLC is a very bad practice
- online pass is a very bad practice
- half-*** customization
- people complaining about online play, I never played the game nor am I planing to buy it, so I don't really have an opinion, just wanted to throw it out there
- didn't like any of the new characters, most of which don't even appear in story mode
- pre-order exclusive content and DLC in general is anti-consumer and ****s people out of content that's already in the game
- over hyped story mode that promises to end the Mishima saga ends with a cliffhanger of Jin swearing to kill Kazuya, chances are there will be DLC for future chapters / season 2 or some shit like that
- character specific endings are in-game cut scenes most of which aren't even entertaining nor interesting, are unlocked by finishing only one fight
- game modes locked behind a pay wall known as DLC
- new mechanics like rage art and power crush are unnecessary and feel more like a step back in terms of gameplay, but I guess it was needed for the cinematic effect
- story mode has a bunch of shitty QTEs
- zooming in and going slow motion to see who lands the hit first is unnecessary, it was never needed in previews games and it's not needed here, but again cinematic effect

I'm sure there are more to point out and complain about this game.
Other than this, it's good that they give you access to all openings and endings of all the main games in the series including each game's OST.
It's also good that they found a substitute for the bound mechanic that made Tekken 6 unbalanced.

leycrimsonriver
Jun 02, 2017, 06:14
I think fighting games should never leave a character behind. There are characters being removed and it pains my heart.

tec5_5
Jun 04, 2017, 20:41
Masters of Terra Kasas is a masterpiece.....wait is this supposed to be believable unpopular opinion?

aka2810
Jun 06, 2017, 13:31
Heres one, Melee needs to die and leave competitive scene. The problem with Melee is that its 16 years old with no updates which mean a very stagnant game play and scene. Plus there are 2 newer titles in the series and companies only ever push their latest game. It's not on the latest Switch console and even it were, it still only be played on the original console competitively. The series creator dislikes competitive play and made Smash to be non-competitive. Even if concessions has been made recently, no one expects a complete 180 turn until he is gone.

- - - Updated - - -

TheWhiteDevil27
Mar 04, 2019, 09:23
Speaking of SSB, SSB Ultimate was a massive disappointment and not that good of a game in general.
The story mode is edgy, pretentious, melodramatic Infinity War-esque trash, the character roster is terrible (Seriously? They chose Jigglypuff, the Ice Climbers, Ridley, Snake, Piranha Plant, Ken, and Incineroar over Klonoa, Lloyd Irving, Zero, Mimikyu, Shadow the Hedgehog, Gunvolt, and Bandana Dee as playable characters? I get the whole "Everyone's here" shitck they were going for but really?), and the controls are pretty bad and floaty.
And this is coming from somebody who started with (and has fond memories with) Brawl.
Overall, SSB4, Brawl, and even Melee are all better than that garbage.

Vantablack
Mar 10, 2019, 06:59
Melee is stupidly overrated. A genuinely rushed and buggy game should not be seen as a paragon of competitve fighters.

RedWolfGhost
Mar 10, 2019, 07:10
Gotta agree with Vanta a bit there. I think Melee is/was great for what it started and what is was as a smash game and fighting game, but holy crap is it overrated, and you have people who deeply defend and worship this game. Pretty sad if you ask me.

TopTierKemoshota
Mar 10, 2019, 16:29
Complaining about wobbling is scrubby as hell. Getting wobbled in melee is like losing half of a health bar in a fighting game because you let a grappler with bad neutral set up their one good command grab. But in fighting games you never see good players argue that characters Kanji, Tager, Gaira, or Pot are broken even though their grabs are easier to hit and can lead into more damage.

Kenna the Kitsune
Jul 01, 2019, 22:31
Sorry if this comes off as elitist, but here i go:

Tekken is painfully overrated with obnoxious "wub-wub" music, characters that look like unfunny parodies of other fighting game characters, and a "story" full of whiny angst.

The 3d fighter subgenre was always pretty bad and was doomed to die once Street Fighter 4 was released.

Super Smash Bros Brawl is the best game in that series and anything after it is soulless rubbish.

I dislike it when a stage for a specific character has no generic theme when said character isn't present.

Ken/Sakura > Ryu/Akuma, Athena/Leona/Shermie > Mai/Blue Mary/B. Jenet, and Testament/I-No > Bridget/Millia

Samurai Shodown should have ended after SS6 or V Special.

Ingrid could have turned out good if she wasn't a mary sue from CFJ and had a completely different moveset altogether.

Mortos
Jul 02, 2019, 05:12
Ok, here are some really unpopular ones.

- The Darkstalkers are super overrated and in general haven't aged well, they are super boring, one note and cliche. Is not a surprise Capcom never bothered to made another game in the series, even they know these chars suck and only use them as filler for the crossovers as nostalgia pandering.

- Something that sucks from KOF is the fact that the chars never grow up, heck even Street Fighter has more development that KOF and for some reason they keep making the chars look young in every new game. Just look at Kyo and Athena for example, do KOF chars take a shower in the lazarus pit from DC comics or what?

- MvC: I should have been more like TvC instead

- I understand that guest chars sell, but in the recent years the whole thing has become kinda annoying. Especially for fans of the actual games characters when they force guest chars in games where they really don't fit only to say "Hey guys we are doing guest fighters too! What? You wanted a char that is actually from the game series instead of a guest char who will not come back in the sequel... Well too bad!" With examples like Negan in Tekken, MK chars in Injustice and most recently The Joker in MK11.

- The story of the new MK games and Injustice is practically the same and NRS has no imagination.

- The OSTS of Arcsys games are better than the games themselves

- The OST of MvC2 is overrated as hell and is not even good jazz.

GamingFazbear2000
Jul 15, 2019, 17:21
I think MK3 is the weakest of the classic era of MK. Sue me!

Ikuinen
Jul 15, 2019, 19:04
Ooh, this looks like a good thread! I'll throw in my two pence.

- Spin-Off games are almost always much more fun than main line games, both online and offline.
- A mass of characters is so much more fun to faff around with that a precise clean cut cast, providing nothing's overly busted and balanced like a misaligned spirit level.
- Anime-centric fighting games are really subpar, never really going so far as to a few good character designs for husbandos and waifus. They always take stuff right up to 11.

GaryS
Aug 04, 2019, 05:30
I've never liked Chun Li from Street Fighters. The original version I thought just looked like a stupid stereotype, and I've seen more recent versions of her in openbor as a rather unattractive female body-builder type.

(Ducks for cover with tin hat on head)

smtfan
Aug 09, 2019, 22:26
I wouldn't mind seeing more Fire Emblem reps in Smash, provided they aren't straight Marth clones like Lucina. The one addition I'd hate to see added to Smash (aside from tripping) would be more mario characters

Blakshado53
Aug 18, 2019, 06:59
Joker does nit fit amongst the Smash Bros. cast, much like Cloud or Snake, as they are playstation characters.

TheWhiteDevil27
Oct 02, 2019, 20:04
Iroha is my favorite Samurai Shodown character and the only one I really care for. Also, SNK really needs to put her in more games.
There needs to be more bad***/awesome maid characters in fighting games. I mean, we have Iroha, Kohaku, Hisui, Mech-Hisui, and Sakuya but come on!
There's also a serious lack of fighting games and MUGEN characters with a control scheme of sorts similar to the Automatic Mode in InuYasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale, Gundam SEED: Battle Assault, and Gundam SEED Destiny and the Easy Operation Mode in Capcom VS. SNK 2 EO as well.

DarSto453
Oct 09, 2019, 05:30
Goddamn. Yes, It will always be the best in my opinion

NotAGoodName
Oct 09, 2019, 06:14
I got your unpopular opinion right here!

Street Fighter EX3 is the best 3D fighting game of all time.

DarSto453
Oct 09, 2019, 06:20
I mean...It most certainly wasn't that bad.

graff11
Oct 11, 2019, 19:38
Here, Tekken from the ps1 inspired the creation of Minecraft!

I'm the Worst
Dec 01, 2019, 23:30
I don't have or don't even know if I have any unpopular opinion
As everybody is saying that Tekken is horrible as an unpopular opinion that must mean it's a popular one, so I say it's not bad, so there