31st December 2016 until 1st January 2020
Upload rules (January 2016)
MANDATORY UPLOAD RULES : There are only a few mandatory rules so it is important to not ignore them.
- Credit the legitimate author(s), as far as you know. If you don't know, well, you don't know...
- All files must include a local preview or they will be deleted :
The site usually generates characters and stages previews automatically, but if it doesn't you'll need to add it manually, after the file is uploaded.
- Characters must include a clean sprite (please refer to the guide : how to export a sprite?)
- Stages must include a screenshot
- Screenpacks must include at least a select screen screenshot
- Music files must include a youtube link, no exception
DO NOT however embed any unsafe picture or video (rated 18+) on the site, all of the content viewable directly on the site must be safe for work. So make sure your pictures are properly censored, or you may get banned for a whole month.
And that's all for the mandatory upload rules, thank you for reading.
ABOUT FILES DESCRIPTIONS : The metadata generated by the site usually provides the most essential data about uploaded files, so while descriptions are not mandatory, they're still highly recommended because well described files are likely to get a lot more attention, that means more downloads, more likes, etc... Here are some advice if you don't know what makes a good description.
- Recommended : Author comments if available
- Recommended : Link to a youtube demo
- Recommended : Specify any particular feature such as multiple modes, featured HUD element (power bars), etc...
- Your own comments are welcome too
ABOUT FULL GAMES OR PACKS :
- Full games are generally NOT allowed due to server load. There are a few exceptions tolerated such as mini-games from a single author. Moderators have full authority to decide whether a particular full game is accepted or moderated.
- Characters or stage packs are generally NOT allowed either due to server load. Some packs may be tolerated if all of their content is from a single author, but even in that case the mandatory rules still apply, which means a sprite shot of every character or screen shot of every stage included in the pack must be added. Moderators have full authority to decide whether a particular pack is accepted or moderated.
ABOUT REPACKS : It is generally advised to stick to the original packages distributed by authors, and to not repack without a valid and non trivial reason, such as fixing a game breaking bug, or converting the package to a single .ZIP or .RAR file which are the only formats supported by the site (split files, 7zip, etc are not supported). However repacking with minor or trivial changes such as renaming something to fit your liking should be avoided.
ABOUT NSFW MATERIAL : It is "tolerated" but post them in the dedicated 18+ categories with a [nsfw] tag and DO NOT upload or link to any 18+ picture.
ABOUT MUSIC FILES : All music files must include a youtube link or they will be deleted. Do not upload a large amount of music files, this is a MUGEN site, not a music site. Only VG or fighting related music files are allowed. Pop music, or anything outside fair use domain, is strictly forbidden.
CLOSING NOTES : Excessive violations of the upload rules may result in your upload permission being revoked. Besides keep in mind MUGEN is a game and users are looking for playable content, so excessive upload of unplayable content may result in a warning.
31st December 2016 until 1st January 2030
Users promotions and VIP groups
Regular users promotions, to improve your account download capabilities and access more content:
1. Register an account and confirm your email address => promotion to group Lurkers (instantaneous promotion)
Benefits: Members of the *Lurkers* group have access to the following features among others
-you can download files as large as 100M
-access to the advanced file searching engine
-access to the full image previews
2. Participate around the site (by posting on the board, uploading or commenting files) => promotion to group New Challengers (automatic promotion*)
Benefits: Members of the *New Challengers* group have access to the following features
-further improved download capabilities (bandwidth limit doubled!)
-access the Player and Stage information tabs
VIP PROMOTIONS - Here are the ways to get promoted and gain the privileges of the VIP:
1. Upload 30 files or more => group Uploaders (automatic promotion*)
2. Create a few characters and upload them here => group Contributors (request membership with your references)
3. Post detailed character reviews on the board => group Reviewers (request membership with your references)
4. DONATE => group Donors (instantaneous promotion)
Main privileges of a VIP:
-No bandwidth limit
-Access to MOVE LISTS and all METADATA content
*Automatic promotions are not instantaneous, they usually take around 10 minutes and may require you to re-login (log out and login again).
*Fair participation is expected, shitposting and copypasta will result in much higher promotion requirements.
11th August 2016 until 12th September 2017
MUGEN ARCHIVE controversies
During its history the MUGEN ARCHIVE has met criticism and controversies.
The classic controversy is the hosting of creations without permission. We've answered this point in our FAQs. Formal permission from the creator should never be required as long as it is considered fair use. Creators themselves usually re-use code, sounds or graphics made by others, without needing any formal permission, precisely because it's fair use. At the end of the day, let's not forget this is just a game and people want to play it, not ponder if they have the permission to have fun. Note that most of the community ended agreeing with us, yet this controversy was revived recently. Kind of, it was probably not very honest though.
Recently a new controversy has sparked over the use of ads. We've explained that running such a huge site would be very difficult without ads, and pointed that the free hosting services commonly used by the community (4shared, etc...) were filled with ads. Sadly these free services wouldn't exist without ads, and nether would google, youtube, facebook, twitter and so on.
We believe the criticism is biased if not plainly hypocritical. these controversies have been mostly started by individuals which run or are part of third party websites, and see us as a dangerous competitor. Sadly, these attacks were nothing but a petty power struggle, sparked by individuals seeking to enforce their "power" and influence over the community. You can tell because these sites have had and still have very similar practices : regularly hosting content without permission on ad filled websites such as 4shared.
When one of these site admins is asked how we should fund our servers, the hypocrisy is exposed :
Basically, they just want our site to die. Why? Because competitors must be killed. It's really that simple and kind of sad.
The truth is no other website offers the services we do offer, no other website preserves and documents MUGEN content like we do, so please don't let all that drama get to you and just enjoy what the site offers. These individuals don't care about the community greater good, they don't care about playing and having fun, they only care about their ego, they only care about their "power" and influence. Sadly, that's all there is to it.